Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th Arkentool

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 4th Arkentool

Stanley is a manufacturer of tools
    Wanda make pliers
    Charlie manufactures a disk network

Rockwell make tools. Does this mean Sizemore will get the next Arkentool ?
    With the authors penchent for bad puns I'm guessing the next tool will be the Arkensaw.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 4th Arkentool

Arkenwelder

Or, the 10 ton giant arkenlathe. Everyone knows exactly where it is, what it is and how it works, but after the first few failed attempts no one has bothered trying to retrieve it or use it. And as it turns out it's attuned to Parson so no one could use its special ability before.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-04-23 at 04:28 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Curse you! I just found http://rockwelltools.com/ today, but you beat me to it! Arghhhh.

Edit: Also, Rockwell makes a "Jawhorse". That's just a perfect pun waiting to be illustrated.
    Last edited by Loscann; 2009-04-23 at 04:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

2 of the 3 known (to us) Arkentools are mobile. Taming dwagons and (the presumed) uber uncroak ability require the tool to be mobile.

Charlie's OTOH is perfectly viable even though it has to be in a fixed position. Also, Charlie's tool is the only one which actually makes an sense, i.e. there is a link between thinkamancy and what a satellite dish actually does. There seems to be little link between a hammer and taming dragons and similarly little link between a pliers and raising the dead.

Enhanced dirtamancy would also seem to require a mobile tool.

OTOH, maybe something like an architech's table would be a viable dirtamancy tool. It could allow sizemore to build earthworks. For example, he would draw a wall around GK and it would instantly appear, as the land would mould into the correct shape.

Alternatively, it might allow him to summon an uber unit (like miners or something).

Ofc, there is a 4th tool that is known to the people on erfworld. I think if the 4th tool that Stanley knew about was linked to dirtamancy, then he would have treated Sizemore better. OTOH, the 4th tool might not be attuned to its owner, so although it is known what it is, they may not know what it does.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Speculated 4th tools include the Arkensaw and the Arkenwelder both of which have punderful possibilities though Rockwell tools makes no welder so I assume it would be the Arkensaw to Sizemore.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    Alternatively, it might allow him to summon an uber unit (like miners or something).
    Maybe giant worms?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by talkamancer View Post
    Stanley is a manufacturer of tools
    Wanda make pliers
    Charlie manufactures a disk network

Rockwell make tools. Does this mean Sizemore will get the next Arkentool ?
    With the authors penchent for bad puns I'm guessing the next tool will be the Arkensaw.
    ! Great catch! Can't believe I missed that.

Funny just how *much* foreshadowing there is in this comic, but in really obscure ways.. the authors still manage to surprise even us obsessed fans.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

My guess would be either the arkensaw or arkendrill. and if it would go to sizemore i think it would do either one of a couple of different things.
    1. super ability to manipulate earth (he got giddy at changing the land like a titan, who knows?)
    2. just naturally enhancing all of his abilities, just enhances nothing super special
    3. makes him able to make golems much much faster than he could before.
    4. able to make huge siege rock monster? would make sense with the dragons and archons, as it is i think the pliers will be able to let wanda make some form of enhanced/super uncroaked unit.
    5.???????? something random that the authors come up with.

sigh, i guess we must all just wait to see. I love this comic though and consider it totally worth the wait

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian_Emrys View Post
    I'm only seeing this headed in one direction. Charlie has his Dish and is opposed by Stanley with his Hammer. Wanda now has her Pliers (as was forseen by many) so now perhaps Jillian will get something in leather? She is often seen riding around on "gwiffons" like an irate biker chick after all AND she is the most compelling potential foil to Wanda. In any case, I do not see Parson ever getting his hands on a Tool himself since his plot relavance is not his raw power but rather his ability to overcome it. What is a story without a plot mountain to climb? The items in his possession are more than enough to provide what he needs to do his job.
    Said it before, and I'm saying it again. It'll be interesting to see whether or not I'm off the mark.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

And when our arkentools combine.. I am Captain Planet!

Or something like that. I am thinking of the possibility of great fireworks when the arkentools interact, whether constructively or destructively.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

If it is a Dirtamancy related tool, I'm betting on the Arkenshovel or the Arkentrowel.
    He that knows little repeats it often.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

You people aren't being abstract enough, I think. What the heck does a squeaky/croquet(sp) hammer have to do with dwagons or needle nose pliers with croakamancy?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

The fifth arkentool is parson's brain. If someone cracked his head, light would come out the crack.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I think Sizemore deserves an Arkenspade.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

For people saying that there is no connection between two of the arkentool and their function, I'm seeing some clear connections on most of the abilities. The arkenpliers are suppose to be a tool of the fates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moirae
    Of course instead of it being a thread of fate, it is apparently a wire of fate that can be twisted and cut with the pliers.

The arkenhammer is a little more difficult, but it does seem like it based on Mjollnir, Thor's hammer. The lightning and flying in particular are pretty much given as the abilities of Thor's hammer. Plus, 'Hammer of the Gods' is a Led Zeppelin tribute band, plus a lot of heavy metal tends to draw on Norse roots, thus the heavy rock connection.

There really isn't a connection between the hammer to dwagon taming and Thor except for the fact that Thor is destined to fight the world serpent at the end of the world (and nuts-pigeon is just a random ability altogether), but then again a satellite dish has nothing to do with angels either.

As to my guess for the next arkentool, a tuning fork connected to foolamancy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

If Sizemore gets the next arkentool and it's dirtamancy related, then I think a mobile fortress makes for a nice power. Imagine Gobwin Knob with wheels...
    Read my D&D Webcomic!
    Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
    www.familiar-ground.com

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

The Arkenglass, which is why Jack is such an amazing Foolamancer.

Or something equivalently ridiculous/punderful.
    In life there is hope, in death, there is insperation

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

smile Re: 4th Arkentool

Hard to predict, but methinks it'll be something that connects the three to those with extremely over-deductive minds. Then again, what connects a dish (methinks satellite) a hammer, and a pair of pliers. Wait a second, (goes into his paranoid theories corner, comes back) I got nothin', this feels vaguely like blues clues also...and I feel rather pitiful for noticing that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

A toy hammer, a normal-looking needle nose plier, and a satellite dish. Only one of them actually strikes me as being a tool. The fourth one might as well be an arkenfishbowl or an arkenapron for all we know.

As for Sizemore, I can only picture him getting attuned to an arkenshovel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    There seems to be little link between a hammer and taming dragons and similarly little link between a pliers and raising the dead.
    (jokingly)Well, you hit a dragon on the head with a hammer whenever it does anything bad, and you'll inevitably get it out of doing the wrong things(/jokingly)

Also, not so sure about the raising the dead thing for the pliers, then again, I have no real idea one way or the other. The comic stated it was "Fate Magic" aligned, which makes me think the effect is more on editing a persons fate. After all, Wanda's hobby is torture and interrogation....poor Ansom if I'm correct.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm leaning towards predictomancy related actually. The ability for even a master class predictomancer to see so many turns into the future as Wanda acquiring the pliers (with everything else that has happened) seems to be more than a bit over powering. Of course, if it was a Arkentool that made the prediction (and apparently gave Wanda advice to stick it out with Stanley), that'd be a bit more understandable. Furthermore, the Perfect Warlord spell was forged in part using Predictomancy. Sure, a tri-link is incredibly powerful magically, but as far as we've seen Parson is the only thing to ever be summoned from another dimension.

Also, Arken8ball would be cool.
    Kasavin-

Scholar, Gamer, and Connoisseur of Web Comics

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I'd like to see the Arkenhatchet myself, which when used in combination with Sizemore and Lord Hamster, will bring about peace. You know, "Bury the Hatchet."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

A hippiemancer tool: The Arken Asylum.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Titan itself is a tool brand. Parson is already a rule breaker, but imagine what he could do with a nice new breaker bar.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been expecting some kind of Arkenplunger.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone needs to remember that the tools are connected with areas of magic not mancys (ie: fate magic not croakamancy)
    With that reasoning, i doubt we are going to see a dirtamancy tool.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2009-04-27 at 12:27 AM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    I've been expecting some kind of Arkenplunger.
    LOL! I would be the scourge of all crap golems.

It could also be especially deadly in underground (tunnel) combat, and perfect for cracking open fortifications.
    Last edited by Goshen; 2009-04-27 at 12:56 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Everyone needs to remember that the tools are connected with areas of magic not mancys (ie: fate magic not croakamancy)
    With that reasoning, i doubt we are going to see a dirtamancy tool.
    We don't actually know that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    I think Sizemore deserves an Arkenspade.
    He has already got a spade that looks quite magical.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd be surprised if Sizemore got the 4th Arkentool at all. Those who have attuned to the Arkentools have been anomalous.

Stanley: Rose from the ranks to become an Heir.
    Wanda: A caster capable of working magic outside of her chosen school.
    Charlie: Been called just plain weird and displayed capabilities and a mindset that suggest he may not be from Erf.
    -In contempt of rules-lawyer court.