New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4th Arkentool

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: 4th Arkentool

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchExMachina View Post
    I'd be surprised if Sizemore got the 4th Arkentool at all. Those who have attuned to the Arkentools have been anomalous.

Stanley: Rose from the ranks to become an Heir.
    Wanda: A caster capable of working magic outside of her chosen school.
    Charlie: Been called just plain weird and displayed capabilities and a mindset that suggest he may not be from Erf.
    Sizemore has immense intrest in fields outside his own, and borders on pacifism, which is downright incomprehensible in erfworld (even the hippiemancer sees war as a way to peace). Plus, as mentioned, he fits the naming scale that the other tool users have.
    /co/ is love.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Has anyone ever come up with a Theory of the alignment of the Tools?

Regarding the Dish, we know it gives Charlie and unprecedented control of Thinkamancy.

Regarding the Pliers, we knew they were specially destructive against the undead and that they attuned to Wanda, who is a croakamancer. That all makes sense. But Ansom also said that "fate magic was hopeless in his case". What did he mean then? Are the Arkentools aligned to a certain Axis? Or a certain class? Because both the Croakamancy and Thinkamancy are fate magic.

I don't think that there would be one tool for each discipline, that's too many. I always imagined 8 arkentools, one for each major class of magic. But what does fate magic have to do with it?

And what about the Arkenhammer? I can't really figure out what kind of attunement it has. Do the tools actually need an attunement?

I don't think there is enough information out there.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UltimatheChosen View Post
    If it is a Dirtamancy related tool, I'm betting on the Arkenshovel or the Arkentrowel.
    I agree about the possibility of an arkentrowel. Especially if it somehow ties in with Flower Power.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Arkenhammer is blunt force. It summons dwagons, assumed to be some of the hardest hitting units in the game. It is the beat stick, not the brains.

The Arkendish is the thinkamancers tool. It links communication networks together.

The Arkenpliers twist loyalty and fate, which is closely tied together in Erfworld.

The fourth one really depends on how the plot turns out. If I had to say who uses it, my bet would be Sizemore or Zamussels.

You don't want to see Zamussels with the Arken(can)opener. You just don't.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Just a random thought I had: arkentoilet seat
    The five six star general of self promotion.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Firstly, I personaly believe that the arken pliers are somehow croakamany alined.

Thoughts on what the 4th (or onwards) arkentool might be-
    Arkenspade- In the tunels Sizemore had a spade that seemed to be a Magic Item, maybe the Arkenspade was a blue print.

Arkenladder- bring on the slapstick of a guy continuesly turning around wilst wilding it.

Arkeniron- even unattuned you can take years off the enemys faces.. and lifespans

Arkenphone- possibly increases scouting abilitys but continues use results in massive upkeep.

Also I was wondering... is it generally conceded that all the tools are based off everyday average home equiptment?
    Ever seen a god that doesn't smite on demand that was worth a damn?

"It's good to know that anyone capable of melting faces is on the empires side..." Noah, Noah's Story, a Path to Greater Good.

If a halfling and a human have a child, do you get a half-halfling, a quaterling, a three-quaterling or a wholing?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default warning: epileptic trees, next 5 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Zictor View Post
    Has anyone ever come up with a Theory of the alignment of the Tools?

Regarding the Dish, we know it gives Charlie and unprecedented control of Thinkamancy.

Regarding the Pliers, we knew they were specially destructive against the undead and that they attuned to Wanda, who is a croakamancer. That all makes sense. But Ansom also said that "fate magic was hopeless in his case". What did he mean then? Are the Arkentools aligned to a certain Axis? Or a certain class? Because both the Croakamancy and Thinkamancy are fate magic.

I don't think that there would be one tool for each discipline, that's too many. I always imagined 8 arkentools, one for each major class of magic. But what does fate magic have to do with it?

And what about the Arkenhammer? I can't really figure out what kind of attunement it has. Do the tools actually need an attunement?
    I've been thinking about this a little actually, and my best guess is that there are either four or eight Arkentools, each pertaining to a discipline along the Fate axis. Thinkamancy and Croakamancy are gimmes here, and I'd be willing to bet that if the Arkenhammer's abilities are within a discipline, it is that of Changeamancy; recall the running reference to the Hammer turning walnuts into birds and vice-versa, which may or may not be a Chekhov's Gun hidden in plain sight.

Of course, by this theory, the Arkensaw as wielded by Sizemore would probably be Signamancy-related, rather than his nominal specialty. But really, anything in this area is mad speculation for now. ;)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Along the lines of outside the box theories...

ArkenTheCovenant
    ArkenNoah
    ArkenLight (add a 'd' at the start if it doesn't jump out at you)
    ArKenBarbie... (to New Zealanders, this could be a portable barbeque grill...)

Okay. I think I should be done now.
    Quote Originally Posted by greywords View Post
    Yanni vs. Barry Manilow dance fight. Everyone loses.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking there might be two more tools out there, one known, and one unknown.

The known: The arkensaw (for stanley).
    The unknown: One big, circular tool to rule them all: the arkenwheel (for Lord H, naturally).

EDIT: And damnit, I have to stop getting drawn back here.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2009-05-18 at 05:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: warning: epileptic trees, next 5 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Eco-Mono View Post
    I've been thinking about this a little actually, and my best guess is that there are either four or eight Arkentools, each pertaining to a discipline along the Fate axis.
    Eyemancy is Life + Motion
    Naughtymancy is Motion + Matter

Stuffamancy (changeamancy) is matter
    Stagemancy (Carnymancy) is life + motion + matter

Assuming that the hammer is carnymancy, then the tools could be fate and motion aligned, thus the 4 magics specialities are:

Thinkamancy
    Croakamancy
    Dollamancy
    Carnymancy

If the tool is changeamancy aligned, then there doesn't seem to be an obvious code for the elements.

However, the walnut thing does point to changeamancy.
    Last edited by raphfrk; 2009-05-18 at 05:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eco-Mono View Post
    I've been thinking about this a little actually, and my best guess is that there are either four or eight Arkentools, each pertaining to a discipline along the Fate axis. Thinkamancy and Croakamancy are gimmes here, and I'd be willing to bet that if the Arkenhammer's abilities are within a discipline, it is that of Changeamancy; recall the running reference to the Hammer turning walnuts into birds and vice-versa, which may or may not be a Chekhov's Gun hidden in plain sight.

Of course, by this theory, the Arkensaw as wielded by Sizemore would probably be Signamancy-related, rather than his nominal specialty. But really, anything in this area is mad speculation for now. ;)
    I tend to agree with your line of thought, and that of Zictor... I've been thinking about that as well.

I think the hammer is a Changeamancy tool, so we have:
    Predictamancy - ?
    Dollamancy - ?
    Changeamancy - Arkenhammer
    Thinkamancy - Arkendish
    Signamancy - ?
    Croakamancy - Arkenpliers
    Carnymancy - ?
    Healomancy - ?

Suggestions... here are some, although I'm completely clueless as to what Dollamancy and Carnymancy will include:
    Predictamancy - Arkentarots or Arkencalendar
    Dollamancy - ??? Arkenbarbie ???
    Signamancy - Arkenflag or Arkensemaphores
    Carnymancy - ???
    Healomancy - Arkenband-aid, Arkenstethoscope, Arkenstaff

Arkensaw is a good pun and hence an excellent candidate for an arkentool.

I think however that the next tool will go to Parson, and with him being a hippiemancer I'm more inclined toward a signamancy tool.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I think however that the next tool will go to Parson, and with him being a hippiemancer I'm more inclined toward a signamancy tool.
    Arkenwheel works for a hippiemancer pretty well, too, as well as the great punnage with his title. So yeah, I'm thinking either 5 or 8 tools.

EDIT However, the fifth tool would be aligned to all schools, rather than any specific school which would mean, by all rules of punnage:

Charlie: Arkendish
    Stanley: Arkenhammer
    Wanda: Arkenpliers
    Rockwell: Arkensaw

Lord Hamster: Arkenwheel

That is all.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2009-05-18 at 09:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With just 4 tools, it's possible that each is linked to two schools, rather than one; attuning to one school (but not the other) would be then possible. It could explain the secondary effects of pliers (destroying undead, if it is not directly linked to croakamancy) and of the hammer (changing walnuts to pigeons) as minor effects of the schools that the user is not attuned to.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Predictamancy - Arkentarots or Arkencalendar
    Sounds reasonable. Maybe the Arkentelescope.

Dollamancy - ??? Arkenbarbie ???
    I think Arkenneedle, for sewing. Dollamancy is likely linked to the cloth golems.

Signamancy - Arkenflag or Arkensemaphores
    Signamancy is supposed to be about protest signs. So, maybe even the basic arkensign. Alternatively, maybe the Arkenbrush (for painting message on signs).

Healomancy - Arkenband-aid, Arkenstethoscope, Arkenstaff
    Maybe this one could be the arkensaw ? :) I mean that was a tool of doctors in the past.
    Last edited by raphfrk; 2009-05-18 at 06:29 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by talkamancer View Post
    Rockwell make tools. Does this mean Sizemore will get the next Arkentool ?
    With the authors penchent for bad puns I'm guessing the next tool will be the Arkensaw.
    What about Stanley himself being the fourth tool? He is called "Tool", I don't know if the RCC ever referred to him that way, but all his people did. Plus what's more powerful than a tool for using tools?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

He's called the Tool because Parson was insulting him....calling someone a 'tool' in the real world isn't a compliment. He liked it because tools are sacred in Erf, but he was just Stanley the Plaid till Parson showed up.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

hang on! diramancy is stuffamancy, and the ArkenHammer appears to be stuffamancy! sizemore is of the same tribe as stanley....

what if the dirtmancer supreme tool is the hammer? as for dragons, they make sense in that they are the guardians of the treasures of the earth.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Lord Hamster: Arkenwheel
    LOL... that's a good one, Arkenwheel for Lord Hamster. Thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    hang on! diramancy is stuffamancy, and the ArkenHammer appears to be stuffamancy! sizemore is of the same tribe as stanley....

what if the dirtmancer supreme tool is the hammer? as for dragons, they make sense in that they are the guardians of the treasures of the earth.
    Interesting... very... didn't think of that one. Brings to mind the question of what will happen if Wanda clashes with Stanley, and the hammer falls to the hands of Sizemore?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glorendil View Post
    Interesting... very... didn't think of that one. Brings to mind the question of what will happen if Wanda clashes with Stanley, and the hammer falls to the hands of Sizemore?
    Crowning Moments of Awesome. That is All.
    Last edited by tribble; 2009-05-19 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm still convinced that there are more than four Arkentools. The only hint we've ever gotten was that there are four known Arkentools. There could be others. Eight is a more logical number (one for each type of magic).
    He that knows little repeats it often.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

so...assuming parson gets the 4th known one...perhaps the quest for the unknown Arkentools will encompass the 2nd or maybe the 3rd book?

Assuming 8 tools total, one for each type of magic...that leaves 4 up for grabs...Parson had 4 friends...coincidence?

And if the Arkentools are akin to developer tools of the world they are in...perhaps they have more secrets beyond the obvious?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

I dunno about you guys, but I'm hoping the fourth tool is the Arken-C++ Compiler*.

... But I won't hold my breath.

*Segmentation fault line? :P

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    2 of the 3 known (to us) Arkentools are mobile. Taming dwagons and (the presumed) uber uncroak ability require the tool to be mobile.

Charlie's OTOH is perfectly viable even though it has to be in a fixed position. Also, Charlie's tool is the only one which actually makes an sense, i.e. there is a link between thinkamancy and what a satellite dish actually does. There seems to be little link between a hammer and taming dragons and similarly little link between a pliers and raising the dead.

Enhanced dirtamancy would also seem to require a mobile tool.

OTOH, maybe something like an architech's table would be a viable dirtamancy tool. It could allow sizemore to build earthworks. For example, he would draw a wall around GK and it would instantly appear, as the land would mould into the correct shape.

Alternatively, it might allow him to summon an uber unit (like miners or something).

Ofc, there is a 4th tool that is known to the people on erfworld. I think if the 4th tool that Stanley knew about was linked to dirtamancy, then he would have treated Sizemore better. OTOH, the 4th tool might not be attuned to its owner, so although it is known what it is, they may not know what it does.
    You have a lot of other hands.

I'll throw my vote for the Arkensaw.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OverWilliam View Post
    You have a lot of other hands.

I'll throw my vote for the Arkensaw.
    Fie! It's going to be an Arkenplunger I tell you!
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

If dollamancy has anything to do with creating cloth golems, mabey the arkeneedle. It could sew sentient cloth dolls, graft cloth limbs onto units, etc.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I have a slightly different (and likely no less wrong) take on how things might work, on the presumption that there are only 4 known arkentools. I don't recall seeing that but I miss and ignore a lot sometimes. :)

First, the two about which we know* the most:
    Arkendish - Thinkamancy - Life and Motion on Fate
    Arkenpliers - Croakamancy - Matter and Motion on Fate
    In assessing these two, we note that both involve the element of Motion on the Fate axis (and so my crackpot theory begins).

Third is the Hammer, about which we know** somewhat less; however, it's been postulated that the Hammer is a 'tool based around either carnymancy or changemancy. Since it works well with my nascent theory, I'd stipulate that carnymancy - Life, Matter and Motion on Fate - makes some sense for the Hammer - nothing's really a clear fit, if there's even meant to be one, but it's one of the two closest. That yields the expectation of one more Motion-related, Fate-axis tool in Dollamancy (the Arkenthimble or Arkenspool or whatever it may be) which consists of Motion alone on the Fate axis.

If there is one more tool beyond the 4 apparently known, it almost has to be in Healomancy (pure Fate with no physical element) and of course there may be more.

In any case, I'd anticipate that the entire set of Tools could be used by a sufficiently motivated crew to effect Titan-like change on Erf. That in itself might be interesting.

*Frankly, we know very little; we (most of us) assume the various 'tools are aligned similarly to the effects we've seen or the people to whom they're attuned, but it only takes a single contradictory instance to knock down the whole house of cards.
    **See previous note.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll throw my hat into the 'Hammer=Carnymancy' theory. Whack-a-mole, anyone?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not going to put my weight behind any complex theories at the moment, but, for everyone who's suggested Sizemore should get an Arkentool:

Arkenpickaxe.

Also, on the whole issue of the obvious Arkensaw pun, it's far too obvious. They might go for Arkenchainsaw instead though.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Maybe giant worms?
    Sandworm... as in Dune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't do thread necromancy.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex