New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 156 - tBfGK 143

More people now seem to be getting as creeped out by Wanda as I've been for years. I find it slightly odd that Wanda seems to be able to find anything and everything she needs in the ruins of Gobwin Knob, all completely unharmed by the eruption and just sitting under a few loose rocks waiting for her, but this was a good page, so I'll let it drop.

Are we getting that last line on a tshirt at some point?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ragamuffin View Post
    Her speech impediment is gone...
    Did that happen just now?
    Her stuttering (partial aphasia) has been becoming less pronounced.
    Quo vadis?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

oh hell yes, uncroaked Ansom... i was totally hoping for that, but i thought my hopes were dashed when the volcano blew up...

Spoiler
    Show
    oh i'm gonna bet that with the pliers Wanda can make an uncroaked that is fully aware and functioning; that way Ansom comes back to life fully aware of himself but as an uncroaked that is under Wanda's control... a nice little slave that she can gloat her victory over
    Last edited by slayerx; 2009-04-23 at 12:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    It was likely fixed by the five Master-Class Thinkamancers who undid the Link
    Or perhaps it was the pliers, when she attuned. We may never know.

I find the theory that Wanda was FAQ's predictamancer an interesting one. I've long puzzled why FAQ would have a croakamancer, as that's a unit that's only useful in or near combats (where there are units to uncroak). The pacifist FAQ would have no use for such a unit.

If Wanda is (was?) the predictamancer, it would also mean she was responsible for the popping of Jillian, which just makes their relationship all the wierder.

Very real possibility Wanda had something to do with the fall of FAQ, but where does Jack fit in all of this? His loyalty to Stanley is one of the things that has always detracted from the theory that Wanda was just using the Tool for her own ends. (Not saying that isn't still possible, but Jack's loyalty implies that Stanley did something to earn it, wrt the fall of FAQ.)

I'm looking forward to a return to Jillian and co., because I wonder if, when they visit FAQ, they will find something that sheds greater light on what really happened. After all, Jillian has never returned. I wonder if that isn't where the book will end, with some startling revelation about the fall of FAQ. That's one of the last big mysteries to tie up.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm a thought occurs. If Wanda ends up being the BBEG, will Parson be her badass general or will he be fighting against her? Or is this all an incorrect way of thinking and Stanley was right about good and evil being propaganda in Erf.

At this point we cannot rule out Wanda as being an undying god of vengeance and death whose timeless quest to snuff out all life is nearly at an end.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2009-04-23 at 01:00 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone else suspects that Wanda was the Predictamancer?

We all know she's capable of casting spells outside her school...

Ah well. There goes my conspiracy theory that Maggie is secretly an agent of Charlie's and was manipulating both Wanda and Stanley.
    Read my D&D Webcomic!
    Epic Fantasy Comedy. Familiar Point of View.
    www.familiar-ground.com

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm going to guess against the grain here.

I think that Wanda will do some kind of full resurrection type of spell, and give Ansom to Jillian as a form of apology.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Undead Ansom, eh?

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm gonna bet she bangs him. ...it.

You know it's gonna happen.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

There's no way that Stanley will be able to disband Wanda anymore. Something tells me that Arkentools bypass the conventional rules of the game. Imagining any outcome except battle between these two is kind of silly. Things aren't looking too great for Stanley at this point, actually.

It's also funny to see how many posters are just as unsuspecting as Parson is. Wanda is waiting for the right moment, but she is definitely going to go into full megalomaniac mode when the time is right. Any loyalties that have existed up to this point can be considered conveniences. I'll be curious to see if she's willing to let Parson live, considering he's one of the most dangerous elements in Erf.

Concerning the 'this world wished for you' line. Sure, it's profound, but on the surface it just means that he's the one who got summoned by the spell. From a human perspective, could it mean that every arbitrary logical construct is like a trap, waiting for a mind to come along and care for it, either by destroying it or building it up? I hope it doesn't just mean that reality exists externally to ourselves, because I've always found excessive attention to that fact a little irresponsible.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

I've been away for a couple of weeks and what do I find when I come back home - six new erfworld comics. Most of my theories have gone to hell, now I need to work on new ones.
    Wanda has became really disturbing, she seriously creeps me out now. Also, she seems to be independent now, she called Parson by his name for the first time since she summoned him.
    Parson seems troubled by what he has done, but why is talking to Wanda about it. Does he hope she will say that he had no choice? Makes sense, when you commit a mass murder, you go to the most twisted person you know for justification.
    Find a hole in the wall, even if you have to make one with your own head.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NemFX View Post
    I'm going to guess against the grain here.

I think that Wanda will do some kind of full resurrection type of spell, and give Ansom to Jillian as a form of apology.
    Wanda apologizing? I seem to recall her being pretty..er..unhappy with Jillian the last time they saw each other. Like I said before, she's way more likely to use an uncroaked Ansom to get back at her: "What do you think of your knight in shining armor now, Jillian?"

Come on. This is Wanda, evil incarnate, we're talking about.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cdrcjsn View Post
    Anyone else suspects that Wanda was the Predictamancer?
    That's a very old theory at this point.
    Quo vadis?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I liked this page. Interesting little hints to the past, and some exploration of Parson's motives, which it feels like we haven't had for some time.

"You didn't wish for this world, Parson Gotti. It wished for you."

This theory makes a surprising amount of sense!
    Perhaps this is line is to Erfworld what Roschacs line is to Watchmen (the I'm not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with me)

Chris

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Perhaps Wanda's new toy will make the uncroaked she... uncroakes not decay. At least that's my bet for the 'pliers "super unit".
    That would be rather epic. Good job reminding us that each Arkentool has their own "super unit." Uncroaking, or even full-on Resurrecting a dead unit under Wanda's control...

Geez, what is it about Wanda and her relationship with Faq's casters? First the Foolamancer, now the Predictamancer lets her city fall so that Wanda can get the Arkenpliers... I think the Hippiemancers are in on this, as well.

"It wished for you." Appropriate, considering that she was the one who cast the spell to bring him here. This was almost as good as Azula's line from Avatar: the Last Airbender.

*High level official who was planning a military coup finds himself trumped by the girl he hired to accomplish the coup. Kneels.*
    "You've beaten me at my own game."
    *Azula sneers.* "Don't flatter yourself. You were never even a player."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

"I wanted to be, like ... a field general, but without soldiers having to actually die for it."

Parson was like every armchair general. Soldiers are just pieces on the map and it's easy to sacrifice this piece for that piece. It's easy to talk about theoretical considerations and opportunity costs when they are just part of some inconsequential game. They might think that is what being the perfect strategist or tactician is all about. Did Parson really think that nobody was dying? No, I don't believe so, not at least in the sense of a game.

Parson's problem was that he was no more aware of his soldiers as being people as any other ignorant wannabe. That is, until he met and grew to like Misty and then Bogroll. The reality of it got drilled into him. Now, he doesn't want to play. (Boohoo.) Parson needs to grow up. (There's reasons why he never went farther than Kinko's. He knows it and admitted as much from the very beginning.) It might very well be his game-world, but it's not a game if you're just a piece in it.

What Parson should be considering, now that his new "reality" is hitting home, is that he has the opportunity to become a real leader. Leadership isn't merely about giving orders. It's about influencing people to accomplish goals and objectives. It means recognizing his soldiers as people and motivating them to do what has to be done, even though it means that many, most, or even all of them might sacrifice their life in doing so. It also means that he has to shoulder the pain and responsibility, because that is part of his job as a leader.

It also means that Parson has to set a personal example. For instance, Ansom was an boop-head, but he didn't ask his troops to do anything that he wasn't willing to do or order them to risk their lives and he not risk his. That's why people were willing to follow him. I hope Parson has boned up on the history of successful military leaders, because he'll either become a successful leader or just another tool as equally disposable as his own troops.

As for predictamancy and the Magic Kingdom casters, Wanda saw that he wanted to command. She chose him. She protected him. Whether Parson is "Fated" to be some sort of savior or not, it's clear that Wanda chose him, not the Magic Kingdom casters and certainly not Stanley. Others simply see an opportunity in Parson to accomplish their goals: a tool.

As for Fate, it can perhaps be argued that everyone chooses their Fate, which is why they can't escape it. It's up to Parson to decide whether he's Fated to be just a tool or whether he'll follow his own, hopefully better, vision.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Wanda is scary.
    And sexy!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: Erfworld 156 - tBfGK 143

Quote Originally Posted by Zeku View Post

Concerning the 'this world wished for you' line. Sure, it's profound, but on the surface it just means that he's the one who got summoned by the spell.

To me, the quote is a lot deeper than that.

Basically, Parson was looking at the situation from a false Parson-centric, and Earth-centric viewpoint.

He saw Erfworld as less-than-real, because the people and places within it seem to him to be all jokes, 20th/21st century pop culture references, and ridiculous plays on worlds... ...and also, because Parson constructed a gaming scenario that was similar to the battle for Gobwin Knob.

So, Parson assumed that Erfworld was not real, but had been some sort of wish-fulfillment provided to him, to let him live out his fantasy of being a Warlord.

Wanda is basically letting Parson in on the cold, hard truth: The universe doesn't revolve around Parson.

The Erfworld people who made the "summon perfect warlord" spell made the spell for the express purpose of searching through an infinite number of universes, until the "Perfect Warlord" for Erfoworld was found.

So... it isn't that Erfworld is an unreal, silly sort of place, where pop-culture references and puns are the backbone of the universe.... but that Parson's world is the unreal place, where someone who dreams of being a Warlord, "just happened" to have designed a scenario that precisely matched the battle he was summoned to fight.

Now Parson could argue with Wanda over which world is the "realest" one, and which world is "unreal-er"... but, seeing where he's standing, he'll obviously lose that argument.

At least... that's how I interpreted what Wanda was saying.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Spot,

I agree. Game-world or not, fantasy or not, it's the reality that Parson has to deal with. As with everyone entering the "real world", the world does not revolve around him. It does not care that he no longer wants to play. It simply is. He needs to get with the program and figure out what he is going to do. If he doesn't someone is bound to make that decision for him, whether it is Wanda, Charlie, or some other Erfworlder wanting The Perfect Warlord (tm).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't think Wanda is going to turn into a stereotypical super villain trying to conquer the world for her own benefit. I think the key to Wanda's character may lie in the fact that she was popped in Fax, in a culture totally devoted to philosophy. The Faxians probably developed their own unique ideas about the nature and intentions of the Titans, and their true purpose in creating Erfworld. I suspect that within the context of the Faxian's premises about the nature of the world, Wanda's actions are perfectly logical and justifiable, which is why Jack supports her. Wanda's statement that Erfworld wished for Parson suggests to me that she sees herself as serving the true will of her world. If Jillian had ever bothered to pay any attention to what the other members of her culture believed, she would probably understand Wanda's motives much better than she does. The real question is, how accurate were the Faxians beliefs? If Wanda doesn't really understand the true nature of Erfworld as well as she believes she does, she's almost certain to do a great deal of damage.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

It would be sweet if an Arkentool allowed it's possessor to lead their own side (Wanda splitting off from Stanley's side). Wanda, having summoned 'the Perfect Warlord' earlier (and been given full and sole access to all the intricacies of the spell) can then ask/compel Parson to switch sides (maybe that's why she's referring to him as Parson Gotti instead of Lord Hamster). By the time Stanley got back they'd have enough force to brutally end the simpleton and take his Arkentool.

The potential for backstabbing^9 always intrigued me...

If the above remains but wishful thinking I wonder how you suppose Stanley is going to let Wanda keep the Arkenplier (as she'd been foretold).

Depending on the strength of Wanda's conviction she might have been foretold gaining the Arkentool. In order to maximize favourableness she then sold out her side (which wasn't into war or conquering) to Stanley and molded/directed his simple mind toward the goal of finding other Arkentools. If Stanley would be ineffective she'd be able to (have) summon(ed) a Perfect Warlord. If Stanley was effective she'd get the Arkentools anyway.

In fact, Wanda might have accidentily screwed her own side. It's entirely possible that she wanted to summon the Perfect Warlord for their side but they were either unwilling/unable because they were taken out so quickly. Would have been awesome if she thought to do this for the war-minded Jillian she loved even back then.

Man, I hope we do get some more backstory. Right now there are a billion different scenarios that could all be true.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    Very real possibility Wanda had something to do with the fall of FAQ, but where does Jack fit in all of this? His loyalty to Stanley is one of the things that has always detracted from the theory that Wanda was just using the Tool for her own ends. (Not saying that isn't still possible, but Jack's loyalty implies that Stanley did something to earn it, wrt the fall of FAQ.)
    My pet theory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    that Predictamancer Wanda recruited Jack to her Quest for Destiny and used his superior veiling abilities to make a secret meeting with Stanley. We know that Predictamancers can predict the locations of units, so it would be easy to do that in the field - at which point she seduces Stanley and tells him about his "greater destiny" with the Hammer. Before she leaves she tells him how to arrange the coup and tells him to take out FAQ so that she and Jack can be captured.

Since the Predictamancer and Foolamancer were the only real defenses FAQ had, it was easy to first-strike the capitol. Wanda's Predictamancy indicated that she needed to be with Stanley in order to gain the Arkenpliers, and so she's stuck with him like glue.

Note that this theory works out OK if Wanda isn't the Predictamancer too. The Predictamancer tells Wanda of her Destiny, and Wanda figures out how to make it happen. However, during the sacking of FAQ the Predictamancer is killed (by accident, or by Destiny) which is why we haven't seen eir around.

Alternatively, the Predictamancer fled and will be appearing later in this story to tell Parson that he is the real Chosen One and what his destiny is.

I did develop this independently (note my Tin Foil Hat) but it is highly likely it has been independently created in various forms at various earlier times too.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

JUST
    AS
    plannedPREDICTAMANCIED!

On a more serious note, I find it very interesting how quickly the predictomancy theory gained in popularity, despite the early lack of evidence and multiple vocal detractors, seemingly just because the other options didn't match Wanda's displayed personality. I'm very Impressed.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by small pumpkin m View Post
    On a more serious note, I find it very interesting how quickly the predictomancy theory gained in popularity, despite the early lack of evidence and multiple vocal detractors, seemingly just because the other options didn't match Wanda's displayed personality. I'm very Impressed.
    Also: the Law of Conservation of Detail was fully in effect

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm more interested in the fact that Ansom's body didn't disappear overnight, like Sizemore said corpses do if not healed.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renx View Post
    I'm more interested in the fact that Ansom's body didn't disappear overnight, like Sizemore said corpses do if not healed.
    It hasn't been night yet - look at all the other corpse-parts sticking out of the mountain.

Obviously wrong. What I meant to say is the Coalition's next turn hasn't started yet

Also, this may be my new favorite Webcomic Exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Parson: I killed everybody, Wanda.
    Wanda: Yes. Good job.

It replaces the Schlock Mercenary page that ends with "Mmm... Breakfast in the rain."

Excellent writing Mr. Balder!
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-23 at 02:22 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

As I read through everyones thoughts on whats going to happen next I can't help but notice how centered the ideas are on peoples personal conceptions of the philosophical questions the story has brought up. Free will specifically and whatnot. It makes it hard for me to figure out what I think imght happen next knowing how important such considerations are to this story. Every major action that is taken seems like a story a philosopher is using to explain his thoughts on some really heavy subjects. To be frank im too busy just enjoying the awesome story and wonderfulartwork to do much predicting about the future course of this story :P The past though...

Minors prediction: Stanley's mission he went on when the gobwin's croack Saline was the fall of FAQ. I also agree that Wanda was somehow involved in that though how she worked it all out and the exact whys are still a fertile topic for debate.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    "
    What Parson should be considering, now that his new "reality" is hitting home, is that he has the opportunity to become a real leader. Leadership isn't merely about giving orders. It's about influencing people to accomplish goals and objectives.
    The hardest part might be learning to manage upwards, given his bondage to a terrible boss. But he's seen Wanda's example, so he has no excuse to say that he has no control just because he has a Ruler.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Going to be interesting to see how Stanley reacts to Wanda having attuned herself to the Pliers, considering he thinks himself chosen by the Titans to get all of them...

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

As interesting as the "it wished for you" line is, I am more concerned about the exchange in panel two:

Parson: This is apocalypse!
    Wanda: Hardly the first.

Is she being figurative, or literal? Perhaps this is a hint as to what happened in FAQ (some kind of total annihilation when it was taken over), or is it a reference to something else?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Man, it's Christmas at Ground Zero for Wanda, isn't it?

I don't know exactly what she's going to do with an uncroaked Ansom, but I know this: it's not going to be pretty (and yeah, Destichado, I fully expect there to be an "Oh, by the way: I believe you know my new boyfriend?" scene between Wanda and Jillian at some point).

(Also, damn. I sorta wish she'd just let him evaporate or whatever; one other thing I know is that this isn't going to go well for anybody, not even Wanda. Ansom is sixty minutes of bad news and an uber-uncroaked version doesn't seem likely to be any better.)