New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Belkar vs. Kratos

The similarities are obvious, but in the end, there can only be one chaotic evil, dual-wielding, bald god of war left standing. So which is it?

Belkar: Is at the peak of his ability, as in after he wiped out almost the entire thieves guild.

Kratos: Is a mortal at the time, but has the Blades of Chaos and Wrath of Poseidon and none of his other magic. This fight out to be about brute strength, not sorcery, don't you think?

They're in the Temple of Pandora. First one to get to the end and become a god, or kill the other, wins. There's no way for them to get to the end without running into each other though.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Belkar vs. Kratos

Not even a fight, Kratos has signficant reach on Belkar who is a sub par ranger as is. Add in the fact that he's about 30 times stronger as he wrestled a HYDRA with his bare hands. Belkar couldn't hope to win this fight IF he got the jump AND got 3 rounds of doing anything he wanted.

3. - Top - End - #3

Well let's be fair. It doesn't matter how crappy a ranger Belkar is (and he is pretty crappy), he's an excellent warrior. And he can throw his daggers, as well as anything else he might pick up to counter Kratos' reach.

But saying that Kratos is 30 times stronger isn't exaggerating.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be honest, when I saw the thread title I thought of Kratos from Tales of Symphonia. Who would, by the way, defeat Belkar with ease.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I'll be honest, when I saw the thread title I thought of Kratos from Tales of Symphonia. Who would, by the way, defeat Belkar with ease.
    So did I... but really, I think either should defeat Belkar with ease. Belkar's forte is cleaving through hordes of mooks. He hasn't ever soloed what could be considered a "boss" level enemy, at least not in my remembrance.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

6. - Top - End - #6

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

But, no one of those are on a level of power like the Hydra, Zeus Himself, or even just the Cyclops in compartive power. The God of War Kratos fought a guy who could take down ALL the gods by himself, and would've won. Belkar won the fights he did simply because of A: Plot, B: The skeleton was a push over, C: The Chimera wasn't really taken by him, but by V, and lastly Yok wasn't a boss level monster... Relatively weak if you ask me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Night Surgeon View Post
    Not even a fight, Kratos has signficant reach on Belkar who is a sub par ranger as is. Add in the fact that he's about 30 times stronger as he wrestled a HYDRA with his bare hands. Belkar couldn't hope to win this fight IF he got the jump AND got 3 rounds of doing anything he wanted.

...but Kratos is not SEXY!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    ...but Kratos is not SEXY!
    That's up for debate, as God of War has a certain... "mini game" in which it may be proved otherwise.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

But, no one of those are on a level of power like the Hydra, Zeus Himself, or even just the Cyclops in compartive power. The God of War Kratos fought a guy who could take down ALL the gods by himself, and would've won. Belkar won the fights he did simply because of A: Plot, B: The skeleton was a push over, C: The Chimera wasn't really taken by him, but by V, and lastly Yok wasn't a boss level monster... Relatively weak if you ask me.
    Isn't this supposed to be about Kratos in his "merely mortal" mode, with no magical enhancement? Without that, Kratos wouldn't be able to take down godlike threats. Huge monsters, yes... but Belkar could definitely take a hydra if he'd had the brains to bring a torch along.

I still think Kratos would win, having major advantages in reach and tactical skills. But Belkar could be a tough fight for "merely mortal" Kratos.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Pfft, see, now you are all missing some points. Just because they meet doesn't mean it's a fight to the death.

So they meet. Belkar fights one round, assesses the situation, then runs on ahead, ambushing Kratos the rest of the way, hamstringing him, then grabs the godmaking device ahead of Cratos in a fit of PLOT power.

12. - Top - End - #12

It's true that even though they both fight dirty, Belkar is a lot more devious. Kratos' style is more 'brutally annihilate everything in his path.' Belkar likes to do that too but he has a track record of being sneaky when he knows that won't work.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdude View Post
    Pfft, see, now you are all missing some points. Just because they meet doesn't mean it's a fight to the death.

So they meet. Belkar fights one round, assesses the situation, then runs on ahead, ambushing Kratos the rest of the way, hamstringing him, then grabs the godmaking device ahead of Kratos in a fit of PLOT power.
    So, wait.

Basically, if Belkar is to have any chance, he has to have, basically, a series of Deus Ex Machinae?

Basically, that seems to be saying Kratos would win.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

14. - Top - End - #14

How is that a series of Deus Ex Machina?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, wait.

Basically, if Belkar is to have any chance, he has to have, basically, a series of Deus Ex Machinae?

Basically, that seems to be saying Kratos would win.
    It's saying that Belkar is smart enough to realize that running ahead to get the treasure is better than sticking around and fighting a badass like Kratos.

Kratos is all about brutality and force. Belkar is only mostly about brutality and force, but he can be sneaky and evasive when he really cares.

Which, by and large, he doesn't, because he's a near-complete psycho who enjoys melee combat more than almost anything else.
    Last edited by Dervag; 2009-04-25 at 03:04 PM.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's saying that Belkar is smart enough to realize that running ahead to get the treasure is better than sticking around and fighting a badass like Kratos.

Kratos is all about brutality and force. Belkar is only mostly about brutality and force, but he can be sneaky and evasive when he really cares.
    Right.

I meant the plot powers bit. Probably was unclear, but if a character specifically needs that sort of thing to win, seems a bit odd for them to be thought of as the winner.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Right.

I meant the plot powers bit. Probably was unclear, but if a character specifically needs that sort of thing to win, seems a bit odd for them to be thought of as the winner.
    If the goal is "get the treasure," it's kind of reasonable for Belkar to get to the treasure before Kratos. Moreover, the treasure will allow either combatant to kill the other.

If the real question is "who wins a fight in a huge cage, Kratos or Belkar?" then talking about the treasure at the end of the temple is in fact a deus ex machina.

So whether that counts as a deus ex machina depends on your victory conditions.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    _______

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post

Which, by and large, he doesn't, because he's a near-complete psycho who enjoys melee combat more than almost anything else.
    Belkar+smart= Absolutely out of character... Belkar isn't the brightest bulb in the box, and that 1 round would be enough for Kratos to not only wrap his chain swords around Belkar throw him into the air, and proceed to beat the living FAWK out of him.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ehh, no.

Kratos wasn't able to do that to Theseus or Perseus, and there's no reason to think he could do that to Belkar.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    Ehh, no.

Kratos wasn't able to do that to Theseus or Perseus, and there's no reason to think he could do that to Belkar.
    Except Belkar isn't a legendary hero of Myth that defeats Krakens, Medusea, and other nasty immortal beasties by himself. Belkar's not that powerful in ANY retrospect.. He's unintellgent, the least developed character, and has a max strength of 23 while raging a feature not only reduced by TWF but also, a class feature he never uses.
    Kratos can rip the top halves of Hydra's heads off from inside their mouths. That's a strength of at LEAST 40 considering size, and comparison. He has a reach of at least 40 ft as his chain reach swords shoot out to at least that long in the beginning, AND he does this all without the aid of magic aside from his obviously magic swords.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Belkar+smart= Absolutely out of character... Belkar isn't the brightest bulb in the box, and that 1 round would be enough for Kratos to not only wrap his chain swords around Belkar throw him into the air, and proceed to beat the living FAWK out of him.
    Remember this incident? Belkar isn't especially smart, but he is cunning, and he can use the environment to his advantage, as we see here.

I still think Kratos would probably win, but it's not such a mismatch that Belkar doesn't have a chance.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    _______

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

MonkGuy

While I do agree Kratos would defeat Belkar, even as a mortal, you're all forgetting something: Kratos isn't the only one to bring down a hydra.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    While I do agree Kratos would defeat Belkar, even as a mortal, you're all forgetting something: Kratos isn't the only one to bring down a hydra.
    Belkar doesn't do it with his bare hands.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    So did Hercules.

Hey, that might be a bit closer a fight.

Marvel Hercules Vs. Kratos. Both kill gods and monsters, and they're both Zeus's son.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I think if Belkar could use the same tactics that he used against Miko, he would probably win. Kratos isn't best known for his brains, and falls to hilariously obvious traps. (Zeus: "Go pick up that sword I used to sap the titan's power. It'll totally make you badass and no sap your power." Kratos: "Sweet!") Kratos isn't completely screwed, for example if Belkar slips up and gives him an opening, but if it worked against Miko, it can work against Kratos. (Kratos being much, much stronger than Miko, but with less brains.)

In a straight-up fight, just brute strength, however, Kratos wins hands-down. That at least seems to be something everyone agrees with, but it's not really where Belkar does his best, even if it's what he enjoys the most and does most often.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    I think if Belkar could use the same tactics that he used against Miko, he would probably win. Kratos isn't best known for his brains, and falls to hilariously obvious traps. (Zeus: "Go pick up that sword I used to sap the titan's power. It'll totally make you badass and no sap your power." Kratos: "Sweet!") Kratos isn't completely screwed, for example if Belkar slips up and gives him an opening, but if it worked against Miko, it can work against Kratos. (Kratos being much, much stronger than Miko, but with less brains.)

In a straight-up fight, just brute strength, however, Kratos wins hands-down. That at least seems to be something everyone agrees with, but it's not really where Belkar does his best, even if it's what he enjoys the most and does most often.
    Yeah, Belkar LOST that fight to Miko, and would've died if not for V stepping in... I really doubt that he would try that against a shirtless opononet that he knows nothing about. He fought Miko 2 times in the past, and thus knew he couldn't her straight up. Belkar would at least TRY to beat up Kratos, and Kratos would kill him for trying. Also, name one instance of Belkar setting a trap, or using anything other than attacks, or intimidate in combat.... Seriously the best he's done is wait in a box of pineapples for the right chance to pelt the Wights that he knew were going to be in there.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Belkar LOST that fight to Miko, and would've died if not for V stepping in... I really doubt that he would try that against a shirtless opononet that he knows nothing about. He fought Miko 2 times in the past, and thus knew he couldn't her straight up. Belkar would at least TRY to beat up Kratos, and Kratos would kill him for trying. Also, name one instance of Belkar setting a trap, or using anything other than attacks, or intimidate in combat.... Seriously the best he's done is wait in a box of pineapples for the right chance to pelt the Wights that he knew were going to be in there.
    Hey, I never said it was likely he would use it, just that if he did he would have a good chance. And he lost to Miko because he wanted to, if you recall. Maybe he would have lost anyways, but it didn't seem like it. And his tactics would most likely work even better on Kratos than Miko, as I said.

As for how he would know to use the tactics, well for one that's not so much relevant to the discussion, and 2, it's possible. For one, he could have learned about Kratos beforehand from some meddling god or random mook Kratos didn't happen to kill. It also wouldn't be a stretch for him to see Kratos (but not be seen, even without trying it wouldn't be hard for a halfling with ranks in hide) and decide that he wouldn't be able to take him in a straight up fight. And even if he did rush in blindly and get killed, death isn't an impossible barrier, in DnD or the greek mythos, so he could very much come back for some revenge.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Hey, I never said it was likely he would use it, just that if he did he would have a good chance. And he lost to Miko because he wanted to, if you recall. Maybe he would have lost anyways, but it didn't seem like it. And his tactics would most likely work even better on Kratos than Miko, as I said.

As for how he would know to use the tactics, well for one that's not so much relevant to the discussion, and 2, it's possible. For one, he could have learned about Kratos beforehand from some meddling god or random mook Kratos didn't happen to kill. It also wouldn't be a stretch for him to see Kratos (but not be seen, even without trying it wouldn't be hard for a halfling with ranks in hide) and decide that he wouldn't be able to take him in a straight up fight. And even if he did rush in blindly and get killed, death isn't an impossible barrier, in DnD or the greek mythos, so he could very much come back for some revenge.
    Except he would've lost... Dieing constitutes giving Kratos enough time to get the macguffin... Also, thats a dues ex machina you just mentioned... As Kratos doesn't have any magic he hasn't irked the gods quite yet, and therefore they wouldn't CARE about Belkar, but they would care about Kratos... Also death IS a impenetrable barrier in the Greek Mythos, Zeus himself who can take on EVERY GREEK GOD IN EXISTANCE AT ONCE, got his ass stomped by the fates when he tried to save a mortal from death.

29. - Top - End - #29

Yeah, Belkar LOST that fight to Miko, and would've died if not for V stepping in...
    Are you sure about that?

All we know is that Belkar can't beat Miko twice in a row. He WON that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Surgeon
    Also, name one instance of Belkar setting a trap, or using anything other than attacks, or intimidate in combat....
    Here ya go.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

It seems to me the issue at this point isn't that Belkar can't set up a trap (he's seen to have done so, if only once, and not particularly adeptly). The issue is that he wouldn't. He'd go for the straight fight, and Kratos wouldn't let him escape, I don't think Belkar would be able to make it out alive. Kratos is just kind of ludicrously powerful, Belkar is just really violent.