New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Languages in the Playground

I think there was a post like this before, but its months old, so I feel like making a new one. What languages do you know at the moment, you are learning at the moment, wish to and will learn, and wish to learn, but know it may not happen? I guess I'll start. Also, it's pretty much assumed everyone here speaks English, since its an English speaking forum.

Languages I am learning: Italian - my family language. My family is from Italy and I want to speak to them. Also, for Italian media, mostly books, and the fact I live in the North East, where Italian immigrants live.

Languages I will probably learn: Japanese - for selfish reasons. Mostly for media, and also, North East, immigrants, etc.

Latin - Fun Language, pursuing the sciences, so this will help marginally

Language I wish to learn, but probably won't: German - mostly because my other half comes from Germany

Arabic - Mostly for fun, but also with many more immigrants coming to America (and me living where they all live), it helps to know the language.
    Great avatar by the magnificent Mauve Shirt.

My TVTropes Troper Page. Send me a message if you want to talk about one of them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Languages in the Playground

I can speak Welsh. I'm not a first-language speaker, though. I'm a lot better at reading and understanding the language than I am at speaking it, though.

I should really brush up on my speaking at some point.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

At one point I could poorly speak and passably read Spanish and very poorly speak Mandarin.

Nowadays I can really only poorly read Spanish. I can just never really get languages to take whenever I try to learn.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, I know swiss german, obviously, german, since it's the written language around here (swiss german doesn't have one), english and french, since we learn that in school. Also, on holidays I discovered that I can somehow read dutch by deducing the meaning of words from german, swiss german and english, even though I don't understand a single word when it's spoken.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know bits of Latin, German, and Spanish, as well as a few words/phrases in Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Japanese, and Mando'a. I'm not capable of speaking any of the latter with proficiency, and it's just a couple of phrases here and there... and it's been maybe 6-8 years since I last studied Latin, and I never learned a whole lot in German or Spanish anyway, though I do know enough of the grammar from each that with a dictionary in hand I could decipher written messages...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

German, English (obviously), some French, Latin.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

English (surprise!) and Canadian French by default. Italian and Spanish by choice. I understand a little German and plan to study it.

In terms of other languages, my learn-list (if I can) includes:

Arabic
    Russian
    Mandarin
    Japanese
    Portuguese
    German

Of course, since four of those use different alphabets, one of them writes backwards, one is tonal, one has three alphabets and one has letters that look like letters that they are not, there is a notable difficulty factor. Rosetta Stone thinks it's hilarious to teach said languages using their native alphabets, so I get no phonetic help on Arabic or Russian (they were kinder with Japanese).

On the bright side, I've been able to independently decode some Japanese (not grammar, but I'm picking out individual words with a fair bit of consistency) and I imagine Portuguese will come fairly easily to me.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I know Polish and English, obviously. I know Latin fairly well too. I also know a bit of French, but not near enough - I can get myself understood and read French texts, but I have to work on it. As for other languages, I used to learn German and I still remember some words and phrases. Futhermore, I can guess the meaning of stuff written or spoken in some other Slavic languages due to their similiarity to Polish. In fact, I'm planning to become a linguist, so the list is going to get bigger - most likely it'll include Italian or Spanish, as I've heard they're easy to lear for someone who already knows French and Latin. Maybe some Scandinavian or Slavic languages, who knows. I seem to have a knack for linguistics, I'm just a bit too lazy to use it properly.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-04-24 at 10:53 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #9

I speak English and Hebrew fluently, as well as knowing snippets of Spanish, French, Danish, Japanese, and German. I can't read any of said snippets, just understand them when they're spoken. I can, however, write in Hebrew, which is a big thing for me, since it's a second language.
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Swedish fluently, and okay English (at least I think so... shout if I'm sprouting nonsense), and some Spanish, though I have started to forget most of that.

One of these days I will refresh my Spanish skills, and maybe learn something new (like Chinese, Russian, German among others). At least that's what I tell myself.

Since I'm studying medicine, I have amassed quite a large Latin and Science-ese vocabulary, but I can't speak it.

Fun fact: According to a study, a student of molecular biology encounters more new words each week than a language student. Now if I could only remember them all...
    Yay!

11. - Top - End - #11

I can speak fluent Irish and English, as well as passable German, and a few words of both French and Latin.

It's mostly legal latin too, so its not very applicable, unless I really want to argue that expressio unius et exclusio alterius
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2009-04-24 at 12:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm.

My mother language is dutch.
    I speak (fluently?) english.
    I can speak the basics of German and French.
    I know some phrases in Latin, Spanish, Italian.
    The occasional word of Quenya and Sindarin.
    And I used to be able to speak Khuzzdul as far as it was made.

Which languages I'd like to learn?(For me, languages either go or don't go. for example, French and German don't go. Dutch and English go.)
    Arabic, spanish, Russian, Japanese and Mandarin(the biggest 'chinese' language).
    And they all(except spanish) have their own alphabet, how curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Also, on holidays I discovered that I can somehow read dutch by deducing the meaning of words from german

Shame on you. Thats not proper dutch, it'l only be a vague wrong understanding of it. They may come from the same family, and look a like at first sight. But they're not that much alike.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I speak English perfectly, and French pretty well. I can understand a lot of Spanish, but don't actually speak it (I want to learn it, eventually, when I have more time). I know a lot of Latin, though I'm not quite as good at translating as when I was actually studying it. I know a few words of Arabic, but I'm rapidly forgetting them as a) I've decided not to pursue it, and b) it's a really, really hard language. I'd love to speak Arabic, but the time-to-usefulness ratio doesn't work. I'd also like to know Aramaic, but I doubt I'll ever get around to it.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2009-04-24 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, my native language is English and I'm learning to speak French. I can speak French quite well, my teacher has told me that my accent is very good and that I pronunciate my words very well.
    Other than that, I only know the really obvious stuff. Like Ola, Gutentag, Wakarimasu ka, So ka, etc, etc.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I speak english .... yay! but i want to learn latin and greek badly, as well as german, and i just met someone who actually turned into a really good friend within a few days (its odd how quickly and well we get along but ya) and hopefully she might teach me it if i ask!
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

16. - Top - End - #16

The only foreign language I know is a bit of Spanish, which I should really focus on improving.

However, I do love languages, and I've started learning Lojban, which seems like it'll be quite easy to learn.

After that I plan on learning Japanese. After that, I'll probably choose another language to try and learn, but I'm not sure that I ever will . . . maybe German, for no particular reason, or Finnish, just for a challenge.

Also, a site of interest: Before You Know It is a useful site for learning language basics, and has free unlimited trial downloads, which don't teach very much but at least gives you a general idea of the language.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

One of my english teachers has said that my english is absolutely perfect, except for the pronounciation of the ''th'' and was asking me why the heck I wasn't doing a higher level of high school.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DD the Cookiemonster View Post
    One of my english teachers has said that my english is absolutely perfect, except for the pronounciation of the ''th'' and was asking me why the heck I wasn't doing a higher level of high school.
    Heh. Funny, because while I'm also very good at English I have the exact same problem - I can't pronounce "th" properly. Also my "r" used to be too hard and I sounded like Tim the Enchanter.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I cans talk english wery good.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I speak German, since it is my native language, and pride myself on my English, though I consider myself far from perfect, a goal I actually want to achieve. (Never perfect... never perfect... never perfect...). I also know a few words in French, and had Latin for 4 years, though I don't remember much of it. Of course, I also know a few words Russian, since a friend of mine speaks it as his mother tongue, but I can't do more than accept, decline, and insult someone, which is something, don't you say?
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Dutch is my native tongue, and I can speak English quite well. I can read and more or less understand German and French, and I know enough Latin to read simple texts and obnoxiously correct other people's grammar.

I can understand some Spanish and Italian mostly through my knowledge of Latin and French, and I also know some Russian and ancient Greek.

I'm learning medieval Irish and Welsh as part of my Celtic Languages major, and I've also followed courses on modern Irish and old Norse.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fluent in:

English
    Dutch
    German

I can manage in:

French
    Danish
    Spanish
    Nethersaxon

I know bits and pieces of:

Finnish
    Hebrew
    Japanese
    Quenya
    Nahuatl
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

German is my main subject in school, so I'm pretty good at it. I want to learn Italian and Arabic.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Well, my native language is English. I'm taking Spanish in school and am decent at it.

I want to learn Arabic. And perhaps a bit of Latin.

I'm mad...my school is offering Arabic next year, but only to freshmen. Grr.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I took Latin in high school, but it is more of a matter of translation than speaking. Learning Japanese might be interesting.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm fluent in English and Spanish.

I know lot's of loose words and phrases in Portuguese, Italian, French, and German. Not enough to actually speak any of this languages, but enough to understand part of what they're saying (I can understand most of it, if it's written).

I want to learn French since I'm moving to Canada next year and it might be useful to know it.

Other languages I'm interested are Latin, German, and Japanese. I don't think I'm learning any of these in the near future though.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

I speak English, and enough French to get by easily in France or Quebec. I want to learn German (one of my friends speaks, I'll get him to teach me), and a bunch of other languages.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by DD the Cookiemonster View Post
    Curious on my bit, but do you pronounce the "th" sound like "t"?

I would like to say that I am fluently bilingual in English and French, but that is a delusion my school system instilled on me. English is my mother tongue and I would say that I have an advanced understanding of France French and a passing understanding of Québec French. I studied Italian and Spanish in high school and I'm sad that I didn't pursue Spanish more than just 2 credits for my diploma.

I would like to learn Japanese and German in the future.
    Pokémon Stuff: FC 3093-8484-9162 | Friend Safari Sunkern, Swadloon, Quilladin | List of Pokémon
    B-Kachu: Oo! Inconspicuous cookie with a string attached to it! *nom*
    Last.fm | Steam ID | YouTube

Quotes inside:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer View Post
    • B-Man is frickin' kick-ass in person.
    • The Metric System is more Awesome than Americans, and you all know it!
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I'd respond, but I suddenly suspect that you are far too young to post here.

29. - Top - End - #29

English is my native language. At one point I considered myself fluent in Spanish, but I haven't used it in any significant manner in several years, so I've lost a lot.

Between years of Spanish classes and an interest in linguistics, I can get along in Italian and usually decipher writings in any Romance language. I also know a tiny smattering of Greek.

I would like to learn Nahuatl, Arabic, Hindustani, and Mandarin (though I have no interest in learning to read and write the latter) as well as expand my ability with Greek. But at the moment I'm not keen on spending the effort on any of them.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Common, Elven & Giant.

Oh, wait, you meant in real life?

Fluently: English (Slight New York City + Netizen accent) & C++ (Nitro dialect mostly. Also good with the DirectX dialect.)

Secondary: I'm mildly slower at reading Standard Galactic than I am with ordinary English.

So-so: I can find my way around with QBasic, Java or Perl, but I don't use them often enough to be that great with them.

Forgot all knowledge of: French, Spanish & Turbo Pascal. I took them from 3rd through 6th and 7th through 10th and 11th respectively. That's 4 years learning the first two, but I've completely forgotten all three.

Learning: Lua
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.