New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Erfworld 157 - tBfGK 144

Quote Originally Posted by roumani View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks that what Wanda now has is an uber unit (and possibly his dwagon mount) capable of defeating Stanley and effectively running Gobwin Knob in her name?

I know the Tool doesn't have an heir, and if he does it isn't any of the three shown there. But maybe this resurrected, but controlled Prince is just the kind of thing she needs to bend the rules.

I may be off here, but surely the return of Stanley will lead to confrontation with Wanda and this new Ansom?
    You're not the only one, I think that as well! And I really hope it.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saracenus View Post
    I find Wanda's smile disturbing. Make it stop. Cool motif on the last panel, the turnips are now skulls. Hmmmm, no Hamstar markings...
    As always-- awsome attention to detail.

Past my bedtime. DevilDan, i'll make you an avatar in the morning.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, things are drawing to a close. This has been well worth the read for me. Gorgeous climax, elegant coda. Also, I don't think I have seen anything quite as terrifying as Wanda's smile in the next to last panel for a while. Wanda... is not getting any less scary.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Nenec View Post
    You're not the only one, I think that as well! And I really hope it.
    I seriously doubt Wanda will betray Stanley. Because:

1-Stanley is still needed to produce and control moar dwagons.
    2-Wanda's really not in the position to sacrifice allies.
    3-Wanda still doesn't know how strong his UncroAnsom is, but she knows Stnaley's a veteran warrior.
    4-Stanley has a lot more experience using his artifact than Wanda.
    5-Staley probably will be even easier to manipulate after all these events.
    6-Hamster's loyalty is to Stanley, and he wouldn't sit idly while Wanda tried to backstab his Toolship.

So, Wanda may try to urn against Stanley later, but not now. Wanda's a carefull planner, and a carefull planner only betrays his master when he doesn't serve any more purpose and you've built yourself a strong power base. Wanda neither has a strong power base(very few units, a mostly demolished city), and Stanley is stil usefull to her.

Decius:
    I'm not understanding your reply. Didn't you mean "if there are no witnesses"? Anyway, we still don't know if TV will convince Jillian to reveal FAQ's location. She would probably breack her contract and go hunt Stanley herself than give up now.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

So the Archenpliers can make a new type of unit. Croak Knight sounds like a good term until we know more. There is a chance we may get to see Scarlet again. (I don't see Bagroll being brought back though)

What's interesting is that even Wanda does not know what Croak Knight Ansom is. So Wanda is being scary again (what's new about that?). I am fairly sure that Ansom does have his memories, in the last panel he look more than a little pissed off, but I don't think he can do anything about it. Wanda ownes him (let's see how you like being treated like you treated others buddy!) and cannot do anything without orders from her.

Stanley seems to be getting better. Is it me or did he seem happier being out in the field as oppopsed to being the man behind the big desk?

The comment about barbarians from Wanda may indicate that she is on the lookout for one certain barbarian, Jillian (note, she seemed a little sad when she said that).

I wonder if Pason is smiling about the irony of Ansom being uncroaked when it was very clead he detested them. Or just the fact he can rub Ansom's nose in the fact that he won and Ansom lost (big time).

All in all, ANOTHER great page.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Ansom is a unit. <Hamstard>In the metaphorical sense.</Hamstard>
    I was talking more about your text transmutation of taking out the r in decrypt and giving it a w. It's fairly obvious that Ansom is a unit, but the spell isn't. It's a spell. Therefore, it shouldn't have the same rule of r-w applied to it.
    Hello, I'm BRIAN BLESSED, and I'm here on behalf OF THE DEAF!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saracenus View Post
    Cool motif on the last panel, the turnips are now skulls. Hmmmm, no Hamstar markings...
    They were radishes not turnips. :P

From this early strip we know that un-croaked warlords have their own crests, but if Wanda had any form of crest it would certainly be a little skull.

Love the strip; POP!-RAWWWRRR! ^^

I guess Stanley doesn't need to find and tame Dwagons after all. And now Wanda can move through the ruins and revive all the best Gobwin/Coalition units, maybe even Archons...hey can you revive recroaked-uncroaked units? :P

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

The blue dwagon popped because Stanley likely ordered it several days ago to replace the one the barbarian killed. It's taken that long to finish.

Ansom is not "resurrected." If he were, then he would not be asking what he was. He would be saying "I'm alive? How?" He almost certainly has all his old memories and now recognizes that he is something he has never himself encountered before. His powers and abilities might be identical to what he had before, but he is somehow flagged as different, if only because his allegiance has been changed naturally through the decrypting. Not that Wanda couldn't prolly handle the odd healing spell, but necromancers do not resurrect.

It would prolly be appropriate if Prince Un-some had some special power/weakness as a result of the decrypting, but we shall see.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2009-04-29 at 05:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

WOO, SCORE! First Haley, now Wanda. Is it girl power week or something?

And no more of this croaknight business. He's clearly a Warlord Formerly Known As Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Stanley seems to be getting better. Is it me or did he seem happier being out in the field as oppopsed to being the man behind the big desk?
    Yes, he's seems much less a caricature of a man now. Maybe being popped as a normal unit, he gets cranky without having some action.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    Yes, he's seems much less a caricature of a man now. Maybe being popped as a normal unit, he gets cranky without having some action.
    Or perhaps it's because he battle's finally over and he won against all odds.

Some people would say that having a whole coalition banging at your door wanting your head in a spike while your warlords fail one after the other would leave you in a bad mood.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Ansom is a unit. <Hamstard>In the metaphorical sense.</Hamstard>
    What does that mean?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm happy.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmar View Post
    Panel 5, between Parson and the boulder on his left. Is that a takeaway bag with the Stupid Meal?
    To me, it looks more like a hand from some fallen warrior sticking out of the ground.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Did Wanda wait on purpose to decrypt Ansom?
    It might make him stronger, since she's on full-juice, instead of the low-juice-amount she got from uncroaking the vulcano!

EDIT: I meant to say, did she wait for dawn on pupose
    Last edited by Lolindir; 2009-04-29 at 05:40 AM.
    I'd really love some peace here, thank you!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Reread the comic carefully. Pliers are gone from Wanda's hand. While decrypting she's holding them with two hands, then with one and then there's nothing in her hands. Might mean something, might be coincidence.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by zz_tophat View Post

Does "Decrypt" as a word mean anything important in regards to the function of the pliers? Were the uncraoked before somehow confused or obfuscated in their function or creation? Or is it just a joke along the same lines as saying "disinter" as the spell word.
    Its a pun -De-Crypt. Crypt as in tomb.

Reminds me of my Asian friend in college. When he would drink his eyes would actually open wider and appear round. I remember telling him 'Dave! You're getting disoriented!" I don't think he ever got it.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Crypt: A place for dead people
    De-Crypt: take someone back from that place = came back to live?

The most famous case of resurrection was IMHO Lazarus, who was buried in a tomb/cave, which is basically a crypt.

Edit: Ninja'd = time to read all posts + time to write and look for terms Lazarus and crypt.
    Last edited by Welf; 2009-04-29 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

18. - Top - End - #78

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    So, Wanda may try to urn against Stanley later, but not now. Wanda's a carefull planner, and a carefull planner only betrays his master when he doesn't serve any more purpose and you've built yourself a strong power base. Wanda neither has a strong power base(very few units, a mostly demolished city), and Stanley is stil usefull to her.
    Mmmh you might be right, you probably are. But I can't wait to see stanley betrayed, he really deserves that, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Lolindir View Post
    did she wait for dawn on pupose
    Well, at dawn came their turn , so I don't think she could do it before, anyway.
    English is not my native language. If you think I’m an illiterate dumb, please give me a chance: maybe I’m only dumb.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

As for the suggestions that Wanda could try to rebel against Stanley now, just to offer a bit more evidence in that direction: Stanley's obvious coup against Saline IV would have to have been a breach of Loyalty as well, so it seems likely that the Arkentools offer some sort of resistance to the innate Thinkamancy-like effects of Duty.

EDIT: To the above poster, Wanda can Uncroak on turns other than her own if it's within the city boundaries, so that's unlikely. On the other hand, it's possible that using the Arkenpliers does require that it be GK's turn, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Ultimatum479; 2009-04-29 at 06:27 AM.
    Work in progress.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    The most famous case of resurrection was IMHO Lazarus, who was buried in a tomb/cave, which is basically a crypt.
    Er... really? The most famous?

Spoiler
    Show
    Because the high-level cleric who raised Lazarus... well, you might not have heard this, but he came back from the dead too. Probably the best known example of the genre.

21. - Top - End - #81

So Ansom is a Croak Knight? (Death Knight)

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Er... really? The most famous?

Because the high-level cleric who raised Lazarus... well, you might not have heard this, but he came back from the dead too. Probably the best known example of the genre.

Uh... Lazarus was a person, not a trifold incarnate monotheistic omnipresent deity.

Lazarus is the most famous, because coming out of cave saying "Only kidding!" doesn't count.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm confused, did the pliers go into Ansom?
    Last edited by teratorn; 2009-04-29 at 06:48 AM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by darkgolem View Post
    So Ansom is a Croak Knight? (Death Knight)
    I hope so. More importantly, will he be loyal?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Oh man, imagine sending out Ansom and dwagons to attack someone and also having Wanda along to decrypt anything that gets killed.

You could level up warlords incredibly well that way, take on tough stacks and if your warlord dies then bring him back for the second round with full hp...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Decrypted Ansom's feet don't appear to touch the ground in the third-from-last panel. Can he now fly, or is this just a temporary spell effect, like the red glow appears to be? On the one hand, his head is a little above Wanda's in the last panel; but on the other, he might just be that much taller. Any thoughts?

Other than this, all that we can clearly say about his attributes is that he has intelligence - unlike all uncroaked seen so far (unless vamps count), he can speak. Hopefully we'll know more when Parson puts on his specs; in the meantime, Wanda certainly seems to like what she sees.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

Seems pretty obvious that the three panels that needed to be fixed (cf. Erfworld Facebook page) were a more-uncroaked-looking Ansom. I hope so anyway. Please?

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJest View Post
    if there were any opposition in the area, they'd be in trouble.
    Poor opposition
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kilkrazy View Post
    The concept of "battlespace" hasn't been defined. In a turn based game, each
    side has a phase sequentially (the player turn) within the course of the whole game turn. The non-phasing players cannot move or do certain actions in another player's phase (or turn.) One part of Erfworld strategy is to split and reform alliances to get an advantage from the order of the sides' phases within the game tuirn. Transylvito was split from the RCC in order to get its turn before Stanley.

The rules that determine the order of player phases are not clear.

One thing is certain, in a normal game a side is either in the game and moving, or out of the game altogether. Since Erfworld is the game, a side can't be out of it.

Parson's comment implies that Erfworld has some strategic level of game above the tactical level of troop movement and combat. Possibly, a side with no troops within any feasible move distance of an enemy, performs all its actions instantaneously and there is no appreciable time-lag for the other sides.
    I think his comment just referred to the fact that any troops left on GK would have conquered it and therefore ended Stanley's side; Wanda and Parson would have gone Barbarian and their turn wouldn't have been at dawn.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    The battle space comment is important. That implies that everyone's turn starts at dawn as long as they are not at war or, at least, not in the range of anyone that can attack them if they are at war.
    The world might be split up into battlespace zones, rather than them being dynamic.

There might even be rules for crossing battlespace boundaries. A unit which enters a battlespace might end up being locked into the hex that it enters, and not allowed to spend any more of its move until its side's turn in that battlespace.

Maybe, when you enter a battlezone, you get assigned the earliest slot available.

Sides with cities in the battlespace would thus tend to be earlier in the day. Thus GK and Transilvito would be earlier than Jetstone, since they always have units in the space.

OTOH, it is implied that barbarians are placed at the start of the turn order automatically.