New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default [Creature] To drown in gold...

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis
    Alright, then I have a task for you. Create the following: An ooze that heals people

Go!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Golden Miasma

Huge Ooze (extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 11d10+99 (159 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 12 (+1 deflection, +3 dex, -2 size), touch 12, flat-footed 9
    Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+15
    Attack: Ganglion +9 touch (golden touch)
    Full Attack: Ganglion +9 touch (golden touch)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Filled with life, glitterdust, golden touch
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., damage reduction 10/magic, fast healing 10, gaseous form, ooze traits
    Saves: Fort +12, Ref +6, Will -2
    Abilities: Str 9, Dex 17, Con 28, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 12
    Skills: -
    Feats: Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Positive Energy Plane
    Organization: Solitary or Corona (3-8 golden miasmas)
    Challenge Rating: 13
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 12-18 HD (Huge), 19-40 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: -

A golden miasma appears as a great cloud of deathly beautiful energy that flickers and wavers continuously. Vague shapes seem to grow within, forming astounding patterns that grow with increasing complexity before exploding out in a blinding light.

Golden miasmas are creatures formed out of the basic primordial substance of life and supercharged to literally bursting with positive energy until their very form dances with hyperactivity. Natives to the positivity energy plane, most golden miasmas live off of its life giving nature, though are always in search of others to bond with in a veritable paroxysm of procreation.

Combat
    Golden miasmas attempt to occupy the same space as other living creatures so as to convert them within itself. If they put up a fight or attempt to harm the miasma however it instinctively fills them with positive energy until they can no longer hold their form.

Filled With Life (Su): A golden miasma may attempt to occupy the same space as another as a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Those who begin their turn within the miasma must succeed on a DC 16 fortitude save or have their forms literally fall apart as they become supercharged with positive energy. This acts as the Gaseous Form spell except that it is permanent. Each additional round the victim begins in the miasma, while in its gasous form, it must make another save or be absorbed bodily into the creature. The creature gains temporary hit points equal to that of its victim at the time of absorbtion. 1d4 minutes later the golden miasma splits into two identical miasmas with half the hit points of the original (round down). Before the miasma splits a Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle or similiarly high level spell can seperate the two and revert the victim back to normal The save DC is Charisma-based.

Gaseous Form (Ex): A golden miasma's form is alike to that of one under a gaseous form spell.

Glitterdust (Ex): A golden miasma automatically releases a cloud of golden particles in all directions every 2d6 rounds as a free action that acts as the Glitterdust spell cast by a mage equal to the miasma's HD. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Golden Touch (Su): The touch of a Golden Miasma heals 2d6 points of damage. This healing may even increase its recipient's hit points beyond its full total. These extra hit points last for one hour before fading away. If at any time a creature's hit points are increased to twice their standard full ammount or more through this ability the recipient explodes in a sudden burst of energy. This explosion deals 4d6 force damage to all creatures within 20 feet whom must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC = half of victim's HD plus their full consitution modifier) or become blinded for a full minute.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [CREATURE] To drown in gold...

How is one cured of the Filled With Life ability? Limited Wish? Miracle? Greater Restoration? True Resurrection? Reincarnation?

Also, since they're basically made of positive energy, would they take double damage from negative energy attacks?

Lastly, if one kills it, do those incorporated into it dissipate, or are they freed?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

How is one cured of the Filled With Life ability? Limited Wish? Miracle? Greater Restoration? True Resurrection? Reincarnation?
    Hrmmm, aye, it'd probably have to be a Limited Wish spell level at least. Will adjust.

Also, since they're basically made of positive energy, would they take double damage from negative energy attacks?
    Researched the few other creatures from the energy plane and it doesn't seem that any have weaknesses to the other. Probably because those from one plane just want to take, Take, TAKE! While the other is continuously giving, so neither are really affected by the other. Who knows. There is a void ooze which to my surprise is the same HD and everything as this fellow, thats from the negative energy plane. It doesn't have any special weaknesses, so its probably best not to give this fellow one.

Lastly, if one kills it, do those incorporated into it dissipate, or are they freed?
    Well, if they have been absorbed they are now a single entity, so they'd both dissipate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or a simpler method might be a Living Cure Light Wounds spell.
    Taking Over The World, One Tangent At A Time

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elrosth
    Or a simpler method might be a Living Cure Light Wounds spell.
    A living cure light wounds spell would just heal... heal... heal... and not do much more. It would not be anything like this.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah I know. Your monster rocks. I'm just saying a Living Cure Light Wounds spell is exactly what the question called for: "an ooze that heals people".

Not trying to steal your thunder. :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elrosth
    Yeah I know. Your monster rocks. I'm just saying a Living Cure Light Wounds spell is exactly what the question called for: "an ooze that heals people".
    Well, yeah, but... ain't no fun in that. Theres no explosions or ravening or nothing ;)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, wouldn't wanna lose your style. That's why I said a simpler method, not a better version. Even if I made the Living Spell template myself, yours would still be better. I was just pointing out it's harder to get a more specific "ooze that heals people" than a healing spell turned into an ooze.

So, did you basically take the traits of the Positive Energy plane and shape it into an ooze? If I remember correctly being engulfed in this thing is very similar to being inside the plane itself. Maybe not the Filled with Life thing, but definitely your mechanics for Golden Touch.

Regardless, lookin' good!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can't use Living Spell template on Cure Light Wounds. It doesn't have an area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

That... That is a very good point. :)

How about a mass heal spell? I dunno, I don't have a book with me at the moment. Regardless of the spell, you get the idea. Tribble went with his style of building wicked-awesome monsters, and I went with minimalist efficiency, using existing material. His=teh win, but it doesn't hurt to expand on a topic.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

So, did you basically take the traits of the Positive Energy plane and shape it into an ooze? If I remember correctly being engulfed in this thing is very similar to being inside the plane itself. Maybe not the Filled with Life thing, but definitely your mechanics for Golden Touch.
    It has alot of properties similiar, and its touch overfills a creature to bursting alike to the plane, but its got its own twists and turns... and you can sick it on folks without having to go to the plane ;D

Then there is the fact that its healing and blowing you up is its method of trying to mate with you, so thats another thing to mess with a player's mind.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Then there is the fact that its healing and blowing you up is its method of trying to mate with you, so thats another thing to mess with a player's mind.
    So it's basically one of those small dogs some people have, except a Huge floating blob of golden healing and its version of humping your leg madly actually helps sometimes?
    I think my friend would like one, though it isn't a Gelatinous Cube and he's got too much energy at times as it is…

Anyway, is there any way to turn the new Golden Miasma back into a person? If not, do you get to keep all their equipment?
    Doing:
    Paladin-like Knight (possibly Bard-like Rogue too) Substitution Levels.
    N ja Base Class.
    Emiya Shiro PrC (not yet posted).
    Samurai Compendium, First Entry.
    Very Non-Vancian Magic System.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Squangos
    Anyway, is there any way to turn the new Golden Miasma back into a person? If not, do you get to keep all their equipment?
    "Before the miasma splits a Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle or similiarly high level spell can seperate the two and revert the victim back to normal"

As for equipment, it converts the entire being, equipment and all, so no, you'd not get any equipment.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] To drown in gold...

What a concept. I'm almost tempted to unleash a few of these things on my players. It'd be funny watching the party cleric casting inflict spells on himself afterward to wash off that "clean" feeling. :P
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

VT: YOUR NEXT CHALLENGE!

A steam-powered vermin.

Translate however you choose.

Go!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Steam powered vermin? hehehe... I'll try this one too. will probably stink.
    My sister has more ranks in Tumble then your level 13 rogue!

(Seriously. She's a gymnast.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    I'm not gonna pass up a 4 armed hug!
    STOCKS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    40 HNJO $240

Total cost: 240

Total left: 760
    Townies: Fualkner and Fellus

Edge Riders: A new RPG system in the making. We need more members, so click that link!

17. - Top - End - #17

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Before the miasma splits a Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle or similiarly high level spell can seperate the two and revert the victim back to normal"

As for equipment, it converts the entire being, equipment and all, so no, you'd not get any equipment.
    I know you can save them before the thing splits in two, but I was wondering about after (as I assumed the absorbed individual becomes the soul or animating force or whatever of one of the Golden Miasma).

Oh… So I couldn't bull-rush any injured allies into it and split all the treasure we had amassed one way?
    That's just evil…
    Doing:
    N ja Base Class.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

"a great cloud of deathily beautiful energy"?

Deathily is not a word. I know you meant deadly or lethally.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames, the CoP
    "a great cloud of deathily beautiful energy"?

Deathily is not a word. I know you meant deadly or lethally.
    Deathly is SO a word. Its just spelled wrong.

Also, where do I find the Living Spell Template? And a mass cure light wounds is a decent substitute, if you must have it.
    Likewise, I dont see why this things converts eqiupment with it. Objects (typically) dont have positive energy in them. And would that ability work on constructs? Or Other such things? It dosent stipulate exactly what it affects.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Living Spell template is from Eberron. I think it might be in the Eberron Campaign Setting, but I'm not sure.

You know, the more I think about this, the cooler it is. Tribble, you should think about making a line of Planar Oozes, each having traits from the associated plane.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152
    Deathly is SO a word. Its just spelled wrong.
    *bares his teeth at anyone who brings up the typo again*

Likewise, I dont see why this things converts eqiupment with it. Objects (typically) dont have positive energy in them. And would that ability work on constructs? Or Other such things? It dosent stipulate exactly what it affects.
    #1. It converts equipment because thats what Gaseous Form does.

#2. Constructs are powered by life energies if I'm not mistaken, so this thing could increase the life energy, shake up whats in it and poof it into the proverbial steam.

The Living Spell template is from Eberron
    Its also in the Monster Manual III.

Tribble, you should think about making a line of Planar Oozes, each having traits from the associated plane.
    Alot of those have already been done. This is basically the opposite of the Void Ooze which is from the negative energy plane for example.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

VT: YOUR NEXT CHALLENGE!

A steam-powered vermin.

Translate however you choose.

Go!
    Y'know... this has inspired another really great idea... but whats holding me back is the fluff text. For some reason I'm totally stumped on what the thing is supposed to look like. I have every ability and quality already in my head, but I can't think up the vestle to hold it in. Usually its the other way around...

*growls to himself*

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Y'know... this has inspired another really great idea... but whats holding me back is the fluff text. For some reason I'm totally stumped on what the thing is supposed to look like. I have every ability and quality already in my head, but I can't think up the vestle to hold it in. Usually its the other way around...

*growls to himself*
    I humbly suggest steam-powered bees. However, this suggestion was just the first thing that seemed funny and workable at the same time, and I'm worried about whether you'd actually do funny. Besides the Riding Snails.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I finally remembered this account after two years. If I begin to get nostalgic, just snap me out of it. Don't worry, I don't expect you to remember me.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chaiyo

I humbly suggest steam-powered bees. However, this suggestion was just the first thing that seemed funny and workable at the same time, and I'm worried about whether you'd actually do funny. Besides the Riding Snails.
    Well, for one, I'm not making the creature 'truley' steam-powered as it would no longer be a vermin.

However, I've done quite a few humorous creatures. Tangled Christmas Lights golem, Mayonnaise elemental, Rootin' Tootin' Texas Chili ooze, and a Wave 'o Babies for example ;)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Well, for one, I'm not making the creature 'truley' steam-powered as it would no longer be a vermin.
    It's a rat that eats steam!

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It's a rat that eats steam!
    Is it a bug that stops Half Life 2 patches from downloading correctly?
    Doing:
    N ja Base Class.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squangos
    Is it a bug that stops Half Life 2 patches from downloading correctly?

...no puns for you.

28. - Top - End - #28

DwarfBarbarianGuy

...no puns for you.
    Oh, but it's a tasty current pun…
    Doing:
    N ja Base Class.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Now I'm imagining a giant iron beetle with smokestacks and a steam breath weapon.
    Hmmm, come to think of it, I like that idea. Now I'll have to see if I'm any good at designing 3.5 creatures.
    Love the golden miasma by the way. Kind of reminds me of an old episode of Star Trek, any connection?
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis
    Kind of reminds me of an old episode of Star Trek, any connection?
    *ponders*

Which series?