New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Wanda's new Unit/Ansom Weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthyus View Post
    Topic pretty much says it all, although it's been discussed in other threads, I kind of thought it deserved it's own. So, to summarize:

Wanda has "Decrypted" Ansom, he retains his status as a level 10 warlord. He no longer has an upkeep, and seems to be completely loyal to parson's side.

Possible downsides noted so far:

He might no longer be able to get experience/gain levels.

Wanda might be exagerating the never decay part.

This is more than likely his "Last life", she won't be able to decrypt him if he falls again.

He could simply be faking loyalty.

Any you can think of, post 'em here!

none of these are hinted in the comic yet.
    you might als claim he wil explode when in contact with potatoes, just because we don't see any weakness in his first appearence doesn't mean hes perfect.
    You want some advice? No matter where you go in life, always keep an eye out for Johnny the Tackling Alzheimer’s Patient.

thanks to XenoTherapy for my avatar!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthyus View Post
    Topic pretty much says it all, although it's been discussed in other threads, I kind of thought it deserved it's own. So, to summarize:

Wanda has "Decrypted" Ansom, he retains his status as a level 10 warlord. He no longer has an upkeep, and seems to be completely loyal to parson's side.

Possible downsides noted so far:

He might no longer be able to get experience/gain levels.

Wanda might be exagerating the never decay part.

This is more than likely his "Last life", she won't be able to decrypt him if he falls again.

He could simply be faking loyalty.

Any you can think of, post 'em here!
    There's no reason to think that he has a downside. Archons and Dwagons have both been shown to be pretty much game-breaking units (Dwagons were the only reason Stanley's side was a threat, really, and Archons... we all know about Archons.) There's no reason why the third Arkentool's unique unit wouldn't be similarly game-breaking.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    There's no reason to think that he has a downside. Archons and Dwagons have both been shown to be pretty much game-breaking units (Dwagons were the only reason Stanley's side was a threat, really, and Archons... we all know about Archons.) There's no reason why the third Arkentool's unique unit wouldn't be similarly game-breaking.
    It was so good to see them burn. To see them all burn. A true archon holocaust.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaim View Post
    Have a nice cup of warm bromide milk. The nice men in white coats will arrive shortly.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaim View Post

And yet, I'm still curious in seeing whether they'll be Decrypted.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post

I'd presume that if a croakmancer was killed in battle then it would have no effect on units they'd uncroaked. But if Wanda was Croaked/incapacitated/lost the pliers, what would happen then?

It would be a pritty damm big weakness if your entire Decrypted army could be destroyed by croaking one unit.
    When Wanda was incapacitated, the uncroaked units of GK were still able to act.
    But following your reasoning, i don't think that killing Wanda would destroy a Decrypted army; on the other side, taking control of the Arkenpliers, could means that you also gain control over the Decrypted units...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    When Wanda was incapacitated, the uncroaked units of GK were still able to act.
    But following your reasoning, i don't think that killing Wanda would destroy a Decrypted army; on the other side, taking control of the Arkenpliers, could means that you also gain control over the Decrypted units...
    Stanley is said to 'tame' the dwagons. If he lost the hammer, it wouldn't be unreasonable that the dwagons either de-pop, switch sides, or maybe go wild and attack units inside the hex at random.

By the same logic, the pliers might also be required to maintain control of decrypted units. If their loyalty is automatically to the side that holds the pliers, loss of the pliers also means that suddenly your uber army switches sides.

It looks like the Archons are more powerful on a 1 to 1 basis than the dwagons. This means that the dish gives Charlie a stronger special unit and also enhanced Thinkamancy. Ofc, it depends on the relative cost to pop. Archons might be much more expensive than dwagons to build.

On the strength thing, is Ansom more powerful than a dwagon ? We do see Vinny soloing a dwagon over the lake, but that was a wounded one.

Ofc, it appears the pliers can be used with the mass-raise spell.
    Last edited by raphfrk; 2009-05-04 at 09:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Why do people keep saying that the Archons are 1-on-1 more powerful than dwagons? They had a good start against severely wounded dwagons in the one instance we observed them to actually fight.

Jillian and Webinar wanted to bring an unspecified number of them to fight Stanley at the pass, along with a fair supply of support; and they had intended to bring far more of that support than that modest supply they ended up with.

I see no evidence that Archons are not utility units with a decent long-ranged attack spell in their repertoire; and Dwagons heavy fliers who can keep dishing for considerably longer, and take far more punishment.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Minion992929 View Post
    So totally overturning conservation of matter (and creating life), taming some of the best units in the game and allowing you to one hit a chief warlord who has to be around level ten (He wiped the floor with Jillian, who's a nine), and about fourty heavies is bad now? And it lets him fly, don't forget that.
    No it doesn't. Jack made it look like he could fly. What really happened was that Jack and Stanley stood up on the dwagon's back while Jack made Stanley raise the hammer up in the air. Jack makes dwagon appear to die, simultaneously veils the dwagon, then veils both Jack and Stanley shortly thereafter.

So when Jill says that Jack was really good at distractions, this is what she's talking about.

And I just realized their names were Jack and Jill . . .
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-05-04 at 03:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    No it doesn't. Jack made it look like he could fly. What really happened was that Jack and Stanley stood up on the dwagon's back while Jack made Stanley raise the hammer up in the air. Jack makes dwagon appear to die, simultaneously veils the dwagon, then veils both Jack and Stanley shortly thereafter.

So when Jill says that Jack was really good at distractions, this is what she's talking about.

And I just realized their names were Jack and Jill . . .
    You are wrong.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BLANDCorporatio View Post
    You are wrong.
    Yes, the hammer lets Stanley fly, but he can't go too far with it (at least, this was Winnie's opinion)
    Thinking in D&D terms, it's probably like a Tenser floating disk, in regards to a Fly spell
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm guessing the decrypted troops last only as long as Wanda is attuned to the Arkenpliers, or a few turns after they leave the hex where she is.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renx View Post
    I'm guessing the decrypted troops last only as long as Wanda is attuned to the Arkenpliers, or a few turns after they leave the hex where she is.
    The claim is they don't decay. For that matter, as far as we could tell killing Wanda wouldn't have done anything to her uncroked.

Further, that red hase that serves as the pliers "I'm doing magic" thing totally goes away. Nor has anyone mentioned that units die without their summoning tools. Nor do the Dragons or Archons appear to have to stay close to their summoning tools.

Loyalty is different. We've heard how the dragons will stay loyal to Stanly as long as he has the hammer.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There's no reason to assume that a unit can be decrypted twice, i.e. if a decrypted unit is killed, it may be that the unit can't be re-decrypted.. That would take the pliers less gamebreaking, but still incredibly powerful.
    Real wizards use staves

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renx View Post
    Considering that Uncroaked troops were fighting in other hexes and decrypting is more powerful, I doubt they have to be in the same hex.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground

Regarding Unsom's lack of hamsters - he's a warlord. He gets his own design. Each previous uncroaked warlord still had their own...
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC