New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group (thread II)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Yeah, it denies mana only to itself, not to the entire team. But it hopes to be a full Spirit of Eternity when it grows up!

So, for the love of whatever is holy to you, kill it now!
    I once saw someone on the Hive Workshop posting about a map he was making where everyone played Orcs who were trying to die with honor; the goal of the game was to heal enemies and damage allies. It was pretty funny.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I'd say it looks pretty promising, too.

One note regarding the Death Knight's Revenants - make sure that when they turn into Death Revenants and die "ultimately", they remain reviveable by Army of the Dead, for else you would have an anti-synergy on your hands.

Also, since you kept the heroes similar to their melee equivalents, Unholy Pact would make very much sense for this version of the Death Knight, too, since it would allow the player to turn Frost Revenants into the stronger Death Revenants at will, adding a new dimension to this skill.

Regarding heroes ending up with too many passive skills, another way to work around this would be turning some of them into skills that consume mana when active (so, for instance, give Cleave to the Pit Lord only for as long as the player is willing to continuously pay mana for that, and have it grant a damage bonus or something similar in addition to make up for it). This way, you turn passive skills into another skill the player uses actively (or decides not to use, depending on strategy), while keeping their character of being something that is part of the hero for extended periods of time.
    Great idea on the Unholy Pact. I was initially going to not have the ability since it isn't really that interesting, but the whole Death Revenant would definitely add another dimension to it.

And I've actually changed the Pit Lord's cleave to something that has a chance to proc (similar to the tauren ability) and do AoE damage, and also give the Pit Lord some mana. Since he's a low mana unit with a high-mana ability (rain of fire) this will ensure he can use that ability more than once in a blue moon without while ensuring that he always wants to be in the thick of things. Right now I'm trying to think of a good flavorful defensive ability for him, since his is after all a defensive unit.

My best idea so far is to turn Demonic Blood into an active ability that buffs a targeted unit with bloodlust and makes them regenerate health. I'm also thinking I might make it so that the ability kills the unit after the duration, which would make it also useful against enemy units to kill them, at the cost of making them more powerful for a short time. Another idea is to make the buff cause the unit to become hostile to everyone, attacking friend and foe alike. I'm leaning towards the second one, because then you could either A) Use it on an allied unit to heal it, at the cost of having to make sure it doesn't turn around and attack you, or B) Use it on an enemy unit so that it attacks it's allies, at the cost of having healed that unit.

Most likely, I'll go with the second option, but make the buff start really strong and then wind down a bit over the duration. For example, the buff could start out with +30% attack speed, damage, and huge life regeneration, as well as becoming hostile to everyone, and then wind down a bit and become +15% attack speed and damage, with a lesser health regeneration, but not hostile to everyone anymore. The lesser effect would probably last a while longer than the initial.

I've also made the conscious decision to have each hero have a "secondary" role as well as their primary. They were already all pretty much leading that way anyways, and it works out rather nicely actually.

Pit Lord: Defender/Controller
    Crypt Lord: Defender/Leader
    Death Knight: Leader/Defender
    Dark Ranger: Leader/Striker
    Fel Blademaster: Striker/Leader
    Eredar Warlock: Striker/Controller
    Lich: Controller/Striker
    Dreadlord: Controller/Defender

The only roles not covered are the Defender/Striker and Controller/Leader combinations, which is fine since those are kinda opposing elements, though they also leave room to add 4 more heroes if I really want to.

Anyways, since you guys seem to be interested and knowledgeable about this type of game, here's my thoughts on the current heroes:

Pit Lord: As I've said, this guy is meant to get in the thick of things and dish out the damage, while not minding taking a beating himself. Rain of Fire gives him some limited range ability, but it's high damage is offset by it's high mana cost, which the Pit Lord has limited amounts of. He also has his Fel Warblade ability, which gives him a chance to deal AoE damage and give him mana to fuel his other abilities, meaning he always wants to be attacking, even moreso than other units. His Demonic Blood ability allows him to heal and buff his units, but must be used carefully to avoid doing more damage than good. It can also be used on enemies to make them turn against their allies, but again if mis-used you will have given the enemy a considerably buffed unit.

Crypt Lord: This guy is definitely the toughest nut to crack out of all the heroes. High hit points and armor means he's going to take a lot to bring down, and his various abilities, especially his ultimate, only reinforce that. Right now I'm trying to figure out an ability that would help him protect his allies, perhaps some type of ability that re-routs some of the damage they would take to the Crypt Lord instead? Basically I need something to make the Crypt Lord's high health and defense useful, since if he's just a rock that can't be killed, nobody is even going to bother attacking him and just slaughter his units.

Death Knight: This is probably the best "noob hero", easy to learn, but hard to master. The noob who's just started should be able to use him to learn the basics without being killed over and over again, while there should be enough depth to him that someone who really takes him seriously can spend a lot of time trying to get the most out of him. Death pact is a perfect example of this. It's initial use is obvious, killing off a weaker unit to heal the death knight. However, beyond that it can also be used on a Frost Revenant to turn it into a Death Revenant whenever you want, instantly giving you a powerful and invincible melee monster to kill off a hero, or hold off some enemies, or whatever else you want.

Dark Ranger: On the opposite end, the Dark Ranger is probably going to be one of, if not the, hardest units to use well. Micro is very well rewarded, for example with Black Arrow, trying to have as many units as possible die with the debuff to get the most use out of it. I'm not sure what to do about her other abilities, though. If anyone has some ideas for good, micro-able abilities, that'd be awesome. And remember her role, of course. Perhaps something like a single-target damage buff that also deals damage over time? You can use it on your wraiths, to allow them to do some absurd damage, or you can use it on your enemies, to finish off a weak foe, or just one that can't get in range to attack. This hero is probably the hardest for me, since I really suck at micro, so if any of you more micro-competent people has some nifty ideas, especially for the ultimate, I'm all ears.

Fel Blademaster: So far, this guy is looking a lot like the normal blademaster. However, Whirlwind has been moved to a normal ability (and nerfed as needed, of course) and I'm also thinking of combining Mirror Image and Windwalk into one ability, so you turn invisible and create a number of mirrors. Cool in theory, but I'm afraid that against anyone not brain-dead, they would know right off that none of the mirrors were real, and just ignore them completely. My other idea is to keep them separate, but also change it so that the mirrors deal half or so damage, and the wind-walk causes all units in a small area to attack faster, as well as the normal effects. The ultimate is an ability that some of you probably recognize, if not the name, then the mechanics of. Yes, it's essentially Omnislash, from Dota, though the ability has become such a standard one for the blademaster in custom games that I don't feel any worse for stealing the idea than I do taking the default blademaster abilities.

Eredar Warlock: This guy is all about killing, blowing up, setting on fire, killing, and making explosions. Did I mention he makes things combust? Anyways, as simple as he sounds, I'm actually having some trouble with him, because I don't want his abilities to be 4 different varieties of fireball. I'll probably end up with at least one that boils down to that, but I really want some other ones as well. So far, the best I can come up with is one where he lights on enemy on fire, which takes damage over time and starts to run around randomly, lighting other units on fire, which again start to run around randomly, lighting MORE units on fire, and so on. This'd probably be his ultimate, if only because I can't see any real way to make it scale with level. And it's certainly cool enough to be an ultimate, anyways. Which, of course, leaves me with at least two more abilities to make that are more than just AoE damage. I might make one a summon of some sort, and maybe the other could be some kind of mana replenisher? I also like the idea of making units into ticking time bombs. Perhaps I could steal the fire lord's incinerate ability to fulfill two of those at once, leaving room for a high-mana nuke and a mana replenisher, so he has something to do between nuke-fests besides running back to base for more mana.

Lich: This guy is also probably going to be mostly similar to his standard abilities, with at least Frost Nova being exactly the same, though I might buff it's slowing ability and nerf it's damage to fit the "control" role a little better. Other than that, though, I'm really not sure what to do with him. This is probably the biggest area I need help with, since I'm just running up against a wall with this guy.

Dreadlord: I'm having a bit similar of trouble with this guy as the Lich, but not quite so bad. So far, I have at least 2 abilities for him: Hypnosis, which makes an area of units fall asleep, and Stone Gaze, which turns a single unit into stone for an increasing duration, while also healing them over that time. This one I like a lot, since you can use it in a couple ways: To protect your own units when they're low on health, to take an enemy unit out of the fight for a while (especially great to use against the Pit Lord's Demonic Blood) or just to make an obstacle to block off a path or help surround an enemy hero. I'm drawing a blank on his other abilities, though.

Edit: And I actually have an immolation-style ability in the Crypt Lord, with his locusts. Which, incidentally, was incredibly difficult to make, but I finally got it and it is glorious. I only wonder how they did it in DoE, and if my way is better or worse, but hell, it works. And probably won't cause lag, once I get rid of the memory leaks.

Hmm, actually, just the standard immolation might also be a good idea for an ability for the Eredar Warlock, draining mana very fast to do a lot of damage in the area around him. Or, alternately, doing less damage, but actually causing him to GAIN mana if there's enough enemies around him. Which would, of course, be a bit trickier to implement, but is definitely doable.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2009-12-14 at 04:22 PM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #393

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Dark Ranger: On the opposite end, the Dark Ranger is probably going to be one of, if not the, hardest units to use well. Micro is very well rewarded, for example with Black Arrow, trying to have as many units as possible die with the debuff to get the most use out of it. I'm not sure what to do about her other abilities, though. If anyone has some ideas for good, micro-able abilities, that'd be awesome. And remember her role, of course. Perhaps something like a single-target damage buff that also deals damage over time? You can use it on your wraiths, to allow them to do some absurd damage, or you can use it on your enemies, to finish off a weak foe, or just one that can't get in range to attack. This hero is probably the hardest for me, since I really suck at micro, so if any of you more micro-competent people has some nifty ideas, especially for the ultimate, I'm all ears.
    If you know how to use an indexing system or hashtables (or their equivalents in JASS or vJASS, whatever they might be), you might want to consider some sort of projectile spell (shoots an arrow/projectile in the target direction, doing something to the first enemy it hits). This would require her to position herself well and to require good aim in order to use the spell to maximum effect. Also this sets up good synergy with, say, the Lich who utilizes a lot of slowing spells. Or if you want the DR to have some sort of slow or immobilization herself, or maybe you want to be able to surround the enemy with your skeletons from Dark Arrow in order to trap them first.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

So... As I've mentioned before, I'm working on a map myself. I bring it up now because it will (probaby) be ready to play at the next WC 3 session. I can't bring it myself, of course, but I could send it to someone.
    trill in da playground

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    If you know how to use an indexing system or hashtables (or their equivalents in JASS or vJASS, whatever they might be), you might want to consider some sort of projectile spell (shoots an arrow/projectile in the target direction, doing something to the first enemy it hits). This would require her to position herself well and to require good aim in order to use the spell to maximum effect. Also this sets up good synergy with, say, the Lich who utilizes a lot of slowing spells. Or if you want the DR to have some sort of slow or immobilization herself, or maybe you want to be able to surround the enemy with your skeletons from Dark Arrow in order to trap them first.
    Hm, I don't think it fits the Dark Ranger's schtick all that well, but that does sound like a great idea for the Lich. Some sort of slow frostbolt that slows and damages units in it's path. In low-level play, they'll probably mostly be used to slow units to make them easier to kill, or just deal damage, while in higher level play, where the other player is good enough to dodge them most of the time, they allow the Lich to control his opponent's options, making them move one way instead of another. Or, you let it off at point blank range, guaranteeing a hit, which would be useful especially for when you're trying to get away from the enemy.

I'll probably actually replace the Frost Nova with this, since it's really rather similar. Higher level versions could shoot out multiple bolts, or just have a shorter cooldown/cost less mana. I'll also add a Blink ability, either just as normal or also slowing units, and then have the ultimate ability be something like Deep Freeze, making any slowed units (whether by frost bolt or the minion's slowing attack) in a huge area be frozen in place and take damage over time. If the unit dies while frozen, it does AoE damage to nearby (non-frozen) enemies and slows them.

So, then the whole game for the Lich would be slowing units as much as they can. Perhaps his third ability would be one that increases his damage when attacking slowed/frozen units? And each type of slow would probably stack, so if you want to take out a hero, you hit it with a frost bolt, have your minions attack it, and get close enough for the aura to affect it, then deep freeze it and attack it with the hero for huge damage. (Something like +25% damage for each slow, and +50% for frozen) I'll probably make the freeze from Deep Freeze something like entangling roots, where attacks against the unit have a chance to free them. Hopefully I can accomplish this just by modding entangling roots a bit, but we will see.

Anyways, thanks a ton for the ideas, you guys, they're helping out a lot. Keep them coming!

Edit: Also, why would I need a hash table (which I'm not even really sure what is) to make a projectile? They're rather simple to make with just normal triggers.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2009-12-14 at 05:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396

Hm, I don't think it fits the Dark Ranger's schtick all that well, but that does sound like a great idea for the Lich. Some sort of slow frostbolt that slows and damages units in it's path. In low-level play, they'll probably mostly be used to slow units to make them easier to kill, or just deal damage, while in higher level play, where the other player is good enough to dodge them most of the time, they allow the Lich to control his opponent's options, making them move one way instead of another. Or, you let it off at point blank range, guaranteeing a hit, which would be useful especially for when you're trying to get away from the enemy.

I'll probably actually replace the Frost Nova with this, since it's really rather similar. Higher level versions could shoot out multiple bolts, or just have a shorter cooldown/cost less mana. I'll also add a Blink ability, either just as normal or also slowing units, and then have the ultimate ability be something like Deep Freeze, making any slowed units (whether by frost bolt or the minion's slowing attack) in a huge area be frozen in place and take damage over time. If the unit dies while frozen, it does AoE damage to nearby (non-frozen) enemies and slows them.

So, then the whole game for the Lich would be slowing units as much as they can. Perhaps his third ability would be one that increases his damage when attacking slowed/frozen units? And each type of slow would probably stack, so if you want to take out a hero, you hit it with a frost bolt, have your minions attack it, and get close enough for the aura to affect it, then deep freeze it and attack it with the hero for huge damage. (Something like +25% damage for each slow, and +50% for frozen) I'll probably make the freeze from Deep Freeze something like entangling roots, where attacks against the unit have a chance to free them. Hopefully I can accomplish this just by modding entangling roots a bit, but we will see.

Anyways, thanks a ton for the ideas, you guys, they're helping out a lot. Keep them coming!
    Sounds fine to me.

Edit: Also, why would I need a hash table (which I'm not even really sure what is) to make a projectile? They're rather simple to make with just normal triggers.
    I think we're thinking about two different things; I don't mean something like Shockwave that just travels to the target point and passing through all of the units in the way, I mean something that is destroyed when it first hits. An example from DoE would be Arro Kree's fireball - which travels in the target direction and explodes on the first enemy it hits, dealing area of effect damage. After it explodes, the fireball disappears.

But if you want to keep it like a slowing shockwave, that's fine, it seems like it would fit the Lich more that way.

This is a hashtable - it lets you store sets of data and load them later, allowing you to do incredibly complex spells as well as circumvent the effective limit of 1 local variable per GUI trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    So... As I've mentioned before, I'm working on a map myself. I bring it up now because it will (probaby) be ready to play at the next WC 3 session. I can't bring it myself, of course, but I could send it to someone.
    Yay! It's always fun to have a playable map.

You can send it to me if you want, though I would prefer it to not be by email.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2009-12-14 at 05:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we're thinking about two different things; I don't mean something like Shockwave that just travels to the target point and passing through all of the units in the way, I mean something that is destroyed when it first hits. An example from DoE would be Arro Kree's fireball - which travels in the target direction and explodes on the first enemy it hits, dealing area of effect damage. After it explodes, the fireball disappears.

But if you want to keep it like a slowing shockwave, that's fine, it seems like it would fit the Lich more that way.

This is a hashtable - it lets you store sets of data and load them later, allowing you to do incredibly complex spells as well as circumvent the effective limit of 1 local variable per GUI trigger.
    No, that's what I'm talking about. You just make a dummy unit, attach the effect you want to it, (or have that as the unit's model) and tell it to move somewhere. Have another trigger check for units within X of all frostbolts every .1 seconds, and if they find someone, order the bolt to cast frost nova on itself and then give it a .01 second expiration timer.

Yay! It's always fun to have a playable map.

You can send it to me if you want, though I would prefer it to not be by email.
    Heh, I'll see what I can do. But if you don't want it by e-mail, how would you want it?

8. - Top - End - #398

No, that's what I'm talking about. You just make a dummy unit, attach the effect you want to it, (or have that as the unit's model) and tell it to move somewhere. Have another trigger check for units within X of all frostbolts every .1 seconds, and if they find someone, order the bolt to cast frost nova on itself and then give it a .01 second expiration timer.
    Yeah, that's true, but it becomes more difficult to store complex data that way. I don't know exactly what you have planned for your project but you could, for example, have a projectile that does damage based on one of the hero's attributes if you stored its data in a hashtable or something similar and then loaded it. You could do it with, say, a custom value or adding an ability to the projectile and then checking the level of the ability but that can get rather clunky.

*shrug* Whatever works best for you.

Heh, I'll see what I can do. But if you don't want it by e-mail, how would you want it?
    I was quoting Anatharon there.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2009-12-14 at 07:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, that's true, but it becomes more difficult to store complex data that way. I don't know exactly what you have planned for your project but you could, for example, have a projectile that does damage based on one of the hero's attributes if you stored its data in a hashtable or something similar and then loaded it. You could do it with, say, a custom value or adding an ability to the projectile and then checking the level of the ability but that can get rather clunky.

*shrug* Whatever works best for you.
    Hm, guess I could see myself using that, though I haven't had need of it yet. The custom value of the unit works well enough for most things.

I was quoting Anatharon there.
    Er, right. I knew that.

Anyways, I don't think I can host, so I'd probably need one of you guys to host my map for me. Though, hopefully I can get my router kicked into shape, because that'd make it a lot easier to fix the few dozen stupid mistakes I'll have undoubtedly have made by then that will make it impossible for us to play the map until I spend 3 seconds fixing them.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

So, reminder, custom map session tomorrow. And it looks like it might be a pretty glorious one, what with so many projects of our members around. Hope to see you all there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, we will see what I have by then. At any rate, there's no way I'm going to have all of the heroes even partially done by tomorrow, so what specific heroes/abilities would you guys like to see?

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

No big preference. Personally, I like to play Strength and Agility heroes more than Intelligence heroes in AoSs, but obviously there should be some of the latter type around as well.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, well, I think I'll just try to get them all working, though most of them will likely have a bunch of filler abilities for ones that I haven't gotten to triggering yet or haven't even figured out what they should be, like pretty much all of the Dark Ranger's.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Barbarian in the Playground

I hope you realize some people probably won't be able to get there til a few hours later(Stupid school *grumbles*), and they probably want to remind you that you shouldn't overdue the new stuff.

They also might suggest When Fel Orcs Go Insane.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

15. - Top - End - #405

Well, I certainly won't be finishing either of my projects anytime soon. I have maybe a month to do things, but this is also my break from overworking at school, so that's not a lot of effort. And I'm not about to show off any more of my progress because we're quite clearly not excited by the same things!

Speaking of that, I'll be late again on Friday, but not by as much as usual (and usually I get back 4 hours after the session begins, with noone around). The lab final is only an hour long (maybe 2 hours late).

Speaking of speaking of that, unprotecting CfG won't be much fun. But there's quite a little list of fun fixes and tweaks I could give it now. Do they do that sort of thing over at the Hive? I'm guessing not, but it could be worth asking. Starting fresh is another option. Maybe it would be better to put in new heroes, but I really like the generic ones, except for a few nitpicks. And, while the prospect of working with raw, uncommented JASS code is terrifying, I bet I could make some sense of it. Suggestions?

Alas for poor SCA. My other project is still waiting, after all these years. I want to do some things with it too, it is sure to be fun no matter what anyone else thinks of its wackiness, perhaps if alterations to CfG are not forthcoming then I will come back to it.

Edit: Nevermind. Unprotection was easy. O.o
    Also, uncommented JASS doesn't look too bad.

Hehehe, you can tell it was done with the GUI.

Edit2: Already this is profitable. I can easily change or just delete the trigger that changes the Druid's projectile to the falling star. The default KotG doesn't look awesome either, I can see why the change was desired now. But I still like the green bird more than the falling star for a couple reasons: a weapon replaces it properly, there's no delay between the projectile hit and the damage.
    Last edited by nooblade; 2009-12-18 at 12:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

I was more wondering if there were any specific heroes that you guys liked the sound of, that I should put more effort into finishing up. Right now, I'm just going to focus on the Fel Blademaster, Pit Lord, Lich, and Death Knight, since those are the ones I have the best idea of how I want them to work of each of the 4 roles. But if one of you guys really wanted to play around with, for example, the Dreadlord, (and maybe had some ideas for abilities ) then I could finish him up first instead.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2009-12-18 at 12:03 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

And reminder again - tomorrow is our next melee session.

Alas, I won't be there, due to a family visit.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #408

Terribly sorry I missed the session today - I got very little sleep last night so I decided to rest my eyes for ten minutes before it started and it turned into a 4-hour nap. By the time I woke up and came on nobody was there. <.<

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Merry Christmas to all of you, folks.

And, since I won't have an opportunity to post it on time, a Happy New Year to all of you, too, and may it be a happy one indeed.

I'll be back for the melee session on the 3rd of January. Hope to see you all then.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #410
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, everyone! So ya I found a pretty sound solution for WC3 resolution. I kind of got the idea some just accepted the stretching. If you're interested in breaking free of the stretchage, follow me into the rabbit hole (No puns Bunny!).

Disclaimer: Tampering with your registry can be devastating and an unhappy experience. Be careful to follow these directions accurately. I am not responsible for you not following the rules listed below.

Click on your start menu >

Click on Run >

type this: regedit

hit enter >

If your registry has already been open to some confusing location, click the left panel side and hold the left arrow till everything folds up.

After that, you should see My Computer. Well that's what I see.

Navigate from there by clicking the + signs (> for me) and follow down this path

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Blizzard Entertainment
    Warcraft III
    Video

In this video folder, there are a few things you may want to change:

reswidth
    resheight
    refreshrate

Please note that when you open up one of these entries, the value is encoded in Hex, but the numbers that make sense to you are in Dec. When you open a key, change the base from Hexadecimal to Decimal so you can enter correct values you understand.

For the width and height, choose an appropriate 4:3 resolution that can fit inside your maximum monitor resolution.

640x480
    800x600
    1024x768
    1280x1024

Make sure you place the left value with reswidth and the right value with resheight

MOST IMPORTANTLY change the refreshrate value to 60. I long theorized way before I could fix this problem that the game was being forced into a 75 refresh rate and causing the stretch. When I finally found this value, it was exactly 75 as you will see. It was the central cause for me.

Maybe it is for you too.

See you Friday perhaps. Merry Christmas!

Oh and I'll check here periodically for those that try this out and don't get perfect results. After you do all this, it's then up to the settings in your video card program which could be as simple as changing it to no scaling.
    Last edited by Lykos; 2009-12-24 at 11:24 AM.

S t a r C r a f t
    I I

21. - Top - End - #411

Indeed, merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

I can't come to the session tomorrow due to celebrations and my chances on Sunday aren't looking so great either but I will do my best.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

I probably won't be there for the session, since I would think most people are going to be doing other things, but I might check in to see if anyone is there.

Merry Christmas to you all!

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by Lykos View Post
    If you're interested in breaking free of the stretchage, follow me into the rabbit hole (No puns Bunny!)
    Hey, get out my hole!

I should be about for the session, being that the majority of the day I'll be out and about hippity hopping between family members, but by the time the session starts for me, I'll be back at home and able to relax.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you, or a happy-whatever-religious-holiday-you-have-at-this-time-of-year!

24. - Top - End - #414

I mentioned showing off and/or asking if it looks alright for some terraining to a handful of you on bnet today. Then some sense came to me and I figured that the best way to have it looked at is to post pictures of it. So here are some pictures!

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9527/bfgscreen1.jpg

This shows almost all of the area I've redone so far. I think It's pretty obvious that I need to do more stuff with that river. The "rapids" are kindof a lampshade over the fact that the thing runs so closely to those mountains without a walkable space between them.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/70/bfgscreen2.jpg

And what you see in this picture is the last little bit. This is close to the in-game view.

You might notice a few things, like how I haven't added any of the pathing blocking over the "mountains". I don't want to give away too much about what I'm doing with the game so far (heh, none of it is done), just tell me how the terrain looks, okies? Do those mountain-y things look just as impassable as the standard cliffs?

Whole-area map:
    http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8554/bfgscreen3.jpg

Progress: 5 areas of various levels of completion, 7 areas remain with only tileset schemes picked out. Plus the center of the map could use something special. And that's just the terraining.

Edit: Level-area terraining is much easier.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6851/bfgscreen4.jpg

There's only one more small area of mountains that I wanted to add, and an ocean-ish thing that will involve changing height fields, and then I think the rest will go smoother.

I guess holidays are a bad time to ask for feedback.
    Last edited by nooblade; 2009-12-25 at 04:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure if anyone else is, but I'm going to be logging on now, for a few hours. Family is sort of drifting in and out until the Dinner happens, so I'll definately have a chance for a game or four.
    trill in da playground

26. - Top - End - #416

As it seems nobody has done so, I'll just point out that the melee session is tommorow!
    Last edited by Bunny of Faith; 2009-12-26 at 06:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny of Faith View Post
    As it seems nobody has done so, I'll just point out that the melee session is tonight. Though I'm not at home and won't be until well into it, I doubt many people will be about considering the time of year!
    Technically the melee session is on Sunday, which would be tomorrow.

I think I'll probably be able to make it, after a second analysis.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2009-12-26 at 03:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418

*Shifty eyes* The laptop I was on at the time was telling me that it was Sunday.

29. - Top - End - #419

Hello, this is my frist time in this thread, and i was wondering if there was a good Skibis TD guide ever posted/linked to

thank you

30. - Top - End - #420

Not that I know of, personally. The guy you're probably going to want to ask about that would be own1-LiteYear, whom is knowledgeable about that sort of thing in general (I would imagine for Skibis in particular).