New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group (thread II)

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    Hello, this is my frist time in this thread, and i was wondering if there was a good Skibis TD guide ever posted/linked to

thank you
    Being fairly good at Skibi's as well, though far from LiteYear's level, what do you want to know? How to play Millitary well? How many minigames are there? What do the secret letters mean?
    trill in da playground

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

How to play military well would be nice

3. - Top - End - #423

So myself, Bane, Erianthe and 742 played a FFA, only wisps and ancients game. This is how it went down. Will reupload it if needed, Rapidshare only allows 10 downloads.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would recommend MediaFire for uploading files (as long as they are less than 200 MB), just because it's not riddled with ads/wait-times like Rapidshare or Megaupload for people to download (although I do have an ad-blocker that might be blocking all of them).

As for Skibi's, there really aren't any guides as far as I've seen. I planned to write a guide here, but all it is so far is a few general tips. If you have any specific questions, I can answer them to the best of my ability, but I have to say that Military is the one race I've never really attempted to use.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground

most boring FFA ever.
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

It certainly sounded and looked that way..

Millitary would probably be my best race, after Royals and possibly Scarlet Knights. I can't describe them too well, however, but I could show you if you're on sometime.
    trill in da playground

7. - Top - End - #427

An update, although it looks like noone is interested.

The terrain is satisfying now, or at least enough to leave it alone until other stuff is done. It's been a fun experience, overall, but not something I'd want to be assigned to do in a large project. Fiddling with a handful of bad-looking rocky spots can be tiresome. Maybe the whole thing could grow on me? I think I'll add more things for decoration, like houses and some lights, but I'd like to start writing new triggers and making some class changes now.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5388/bfgterrainz.jpg

A few unfortunate things: I ran out of space for a Figaro "desert", so that might need to be changed into a different kind of town or have more room made for it. The water is also a bit silly with the physics or geology or whatever. Both of these things would involve doing more terraining to fix, so I think I'll just wait on that. Maybe I'll even get some helpful feedback? Or should I post on a more serious map-making forum for that?

Also, I don't know what to do with the oval in the center of the map. The blight is a bit boring. The swampy area in CfG was nice, but doesn't look possible here. Anyone have fun suggestions for what's best to fight on?

Nohwl will be happy to know that I tried changing the Priest model to the Priestess of the Moon and it looks nice so far. Would go great with a few other changes to the class.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 742 View Post
    most boring FFA ever.
    I dunno, while definitely an extremely low-micro and low-strategy game it was still incredibly amusing if only for the awesome factor.

(Not trying to incite a debate or anything here, just a passing comment. )
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2009-12-29 at 01:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Orc in the Playground

The terrain looks good Noob; That desert portion that you were talking about now looks out of place since it's borderd by what appears to be a sea... If you switch that area to more mountain terrain and then just throw a little Ice on the water it should look fine though. As for the little oval I have no idea, a grassland battle every now and again isn't bad. The unit models should come along fairly quickly; will you have to recode all of the triggers or are some salvagable?

-UGNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It's not depressing, it's the playground.

10. - Top - End - #430

The problem with triggers is that I want to change most skills so that they depend on the DPS of your attacks, so just about every skill will need to be re-trigger-ized, and then that's going to be the majority of the triggers. And I bet it will make the initial versions super-imba. Also I'll have to fix a bunch of leaks and add in some logic for the super-towns and the six extra areas.

Still not sure if I want to keep the gates, or make that area impassable, or just leave it as a chokepoint. The gates are mostly there because I think that I want to have the armies avoid all of the towns by following two snake-y paths around the sides and through the middle. So, if anything capturable or logic-related goes in the middle, it would preferably be something that the armies don't mess with, or something to delay an army, or I dunno.

Now that I think about it, I could probably just change the ocean to the bottom and rotate the positioning of the taverns and the springs 90 degrees clockwise. That would give a lot more room for a desert, and I wouldn't mind having the Mist Village-Tavern be a bit of a snowy area next to Narshe instead of the Mountain Spring. That would also put the desert area between two mountain areas, along with Lindblum, which is good. Then switch the Naga and Undead areas and I think we'd have a winner. We would also have a nice desert graveyard instead of a dumb mountain one, possibly with an "Egyptian-like civilization curse" theme going on.

But that's all a bunch more terraining than I want to do right now. At least it wouldn't mess up the spots that needed extra attention.

11. - Top - End - #431

Alright, tomorrow is Friday and thus the custom map session. Hope to see you all there.

I may or may not be a couple hours late to the session but I'll do my best to come regardless.

Also, happy New Years (Eve) to you all!
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2009-12-31 at 03:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #432

Bane, allow me to elaborate on why I think that the 5 maximum mana item on the "Fifth Crusade" map is pretty useless. Or don't. I was mostly going by instinct when speaking of it after those two games, but now I did homework on it, so I hope you'll consider my proposed changes:

The thing about having extra maximum mana is that you have to spend all your other mana first to make use of it. You know, nevermind, let's just do an example with two heroes. Both of them are generic, with 400 maximum mana and 7 mana regeneration per second after considering their attributes (close enough to the conditions in your map). They both will spam abilities such that they cost 40 mana per second.

The only difference between them is the inventory. Hero A has one item that increase maximum mana by 5. Hero B has the item increases mana regeneration by 8%. For lols, let's say that Hero C doesn't have anything. So, Hero A has 405 maximum mana and Hero B has 7.56 mana regeneration per second.

Simple subtraction: Hero A and hero C both lose 33 mana per second, Hero B loses 32.44 mana per second.

Division now. Divide the maximum mana by the drain in units mana per second to obtain the number of seconds it would take for mana to run out. It takes 405/33 = 12.27 seconds for Hero A and 400/32.44 = 12.33 seconds for Hero B (and 400/33 = 12.12 seconds for Hero C). You see? This item is a subpar choice for its intended function!

Now, I know you're changing things around quite a bit so it's difficult to pinpoint a nice value for it, but I wouldn't shy away from making it double the amount of health that the maxhp item provides. 520/33 = 15.76 seconds. That's pretty good for a no-int hero.

Also, this is much more helpful for use with the potion items that increase in effect as you have higher maximum mana or health.

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    Bane, allow me to elaborate on why I think that the 5 maximum mana item on the "Fifth Crusade" map is pretty useless. Or don't. I was mostly going by instinct when speaking of it after those two games, but now I did homework on it, so I hope you'll consider my proposed changes:

The thing about having extra maximum mana is that you have to spend all your other mana first to make use of it. You know, nevermind, let's just do an example with two heroes. Both of them are generic, with 400 maximum mana and 7 mana regeneration per second after considering their attributes (close enough to the conditions in your map). They both will spam abilities such that they cost 40 mana per second.

The only difference between them is the inventory. Hero A has one item that increase maximum mana by 5. Hero B has the item increases mana regeneration by 8%. For lols, let's say that Hero C doesn't have anything. So, Hero A has 405 maximum mana and Hero B has 7.56 mana regeneration per second.

Simple subtraction: Hero A and hero C both lose 33 mana per second, Hero B loses 32.44 mana per second.

Division now. Divide the maximum mana by the drain in units mana per second to obtain the number of seconds it would take for mana to run out. It takes 405/33 = 12.27 seconds for Hero A and 400/32.44 = 12.33 seconds for Hero B (and 400/33 = 12.12 seconds for Hero C). You see? This item is a subpar choice for its intended function!
    Bleh, theorycrafting. But whatever, I'll tinker with it some more then.

Now, I know you're changing things around quite a bit so it's difficult to pinpoint a nice value for it, but I wouldn't shy away from making it double the amount of health that the maxhp item provides. 520/33 = 15.76 seconds. That's pretty good for a no-int hero.
    Well, I will not do that for one reason, and that is that each hero only has 100 base mana, adding 1 for every point of Intelligence. Therefor, each item giving 120 mana would be stupid because a level 1 Intelligence hero's mana would be doubled. And if you had 6 of these things as a level 20 Intelligence hero, you would have around 890 mana, compared to another level 20 Intelligence hero who did not, who would have 170 or so.

I think the item is really close to the 'sweet spot' but there's no way that that spot will ever be in the double, let alone triple digits.

Also, this is much more helpful for use with the potion items that increase in effect as you have higher maximum mana or health.
    Yeah, I've known for a while that the mana potions are pretty useless and I'm looking for a way to fix them. I don't want to have them imitate health potions (restoring it over time) because that interferes or overlaps with a couple of abilities; I'll probably just merge the two into one potion that fully restores your mana or something.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2010-01-02 at 11:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Hi, folks, I'm back!

And just in time for a reminder, too - tomorrow's our next custom map session. Hope to see you all (and your maps too, should you have any in progress) there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

GRRR
    how can you be good at this game? I can't even beat an easy computer
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Two things. Not all of us are good at melee. So come to are custom map session tomorrow. It is in general bigger then the melee session since there are lots of people who don't really like melee, but like the custom maps. You don't need good melee skills for that :P.

Secondly human players act differently then the computer. So you should try playing against actual people some(We meet on Sundays :)).
    Last edited by Legoshrimp; 2010-01-08 at 12:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437

It's rather difficult to just give advice in such a broad sense - to really help you we first need to see how you play in order to see what you're potentially doing wrong.

The melee sessions on Sundays are home to a wide array of skill ranges, and even if you don't want to try that you can still come to the Friday custom map sessions. Or don't if you don't want to, no pressure or anything.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2010-01-08 at 12:09 AM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bandil View Post
    GRRR
    Loseing. LOTS. AND. LOTS of loseing.

Seriously. But what race do you want to play?
    trill in da playground

19. - Top - End - #439

GRRR
    Play the campaign, it should teach you the basics needed to beat an easy computer.

20. - Top - End - #440

I've been reading a lot of Terry Pratchett instead of working on my project, lately. He's fun.

Someone come play good ol' CfG 6.9 with me today? Pubbies aren't as much fun.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

GRRR
    All the other things already said aside, here a few pieces of general advice:

- Always keep acting, and be quick. If it takes you 10 seconds at the game's start before you select your workers, send them off to gather resources and construct buildings, that's 10 seconds you are already behind your opponent - you cannot afford that.

- Make sure to get enough workers - 5 on the gold mine and (depending on exact circumstances) usually about 7 on lumber (4 ghouls for Undead). Keep building workers at the game's start until you have enough of them - don't have your main building stand still at any time before that!

- Micro your units - have the ranged units focus fire enemy units, pull back units that are being focused by the enemy, send severely wounded units back to your main base or heal them with spells like the Paladin's Holy Light or the Death Knight's Death Coil, and make sure units attack the units they are strong against.

- Do not get too many fortifications, if any - any resources you use for fortifications are resources not used for the army, so they weaken you in the field.

- Keep your resources spent - build units and new buildings, research upgrades, buy items - any resources sitting unspent are units missing in your army, potentially causing your downfall in battle. While lumber may amass at times, at least your gold should ideally never exceed 1000, and most of the time stay much closer to zero.

- Use your army - your army is an investment, so whenever you are not fighting the enemy, you should be using it to fight creeps, so you gain more experience and items. Strong heroes are essential. Just don't lose units to creeps, that's something that should never happen. With time you will be able to judge when you are able to fight creep camps of which power - always try to fight the strongest creeps you are capable of engaging safely without losses, so you gain experience and items the most efficiently.

- Get some build orders for the races you want to play, so you know how to get to the units you want the most efficiently. Watch replays of better players, to see how the game looks like when played well.

If you tell us which race you intend to play (and I would suggest you focus on learning one race well before moving on to the others), we could give much more specific advice.

I've been reading a lot of Terry Pratchett instead of working on my project, lately. He's fun.
    He sure is.

Someone come play good ol' CfG 6.9 with me today? Pubbies aren't as much fun.
    I'm always up for CfG, though whether the rest of the session attendées share that sentiment is not for me to say, obviously.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    It's rather difficult to just give advice in such a broad sense - to really help you we first need to see how you play in order to see what you're potentially doing wrong.

The melee sessions on Sundays are home to a wide array of skill ranges, and even if you don't want to try that you can still come to the Friday custom map sessions. Or don't if you don't want to, no pressure or anything.
    I'll try to find a day that works. i would try today but I'm visiting a friend in the hospital. maybe next week...

I'll try to work on campaign now and I haven't found a really good race yet
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

I'll try to find a day that works. i would try today but I'm visiting a friend in the hospital. maybe next week...
    You would be rather unlikely to find many (if any) Playgrounders on WarCraft today anyhow, as today is the StarCraft session.

I'll try to work on campaign now and I haven't found a really good race yet
    The races are fairly well balanced, actually; there is no one 'really good race', as they are all equally strong (if they weren't, WarCraft would be a really bad strategy game and we - or most of us, anyhow - would not be playing its melee side at all).
    The question is, rather, which one you find the most fun to play with.
    Back when I started to play WarCraft melee I downloaded a bunch of replays from the latest World Cyber Games olympics and started to watch those; I picked my race based on whom I found myself cheering for the most often.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and of course, reminder: Tomorrow is our next melee session. I hope to see you all there.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-01-09 at 12:11 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    You would be rather unlikely to find many (if any) Playgrounders on WarCraft today anyhow, as today is the StarCraft session.

The races are fairly well balanced, actually; there is no one 'really good race', as they are all equally strong (if they weren't, WarCraft would be a really bad strategy game and we - or most of us, anyhow - would not be playing its melee side at all).
    The question is, rather, which one you find the most fun to play with.
    Back when I started to play WarCraft melee I downloaded a bunch of replays from the latest World Cyber Games olympics and started to watch those; I picked my race based on whom I found myself cheering for the most often.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and of course, reminder: Tomorrow is our next melee session. I hope to see you all there.
    1) Starcraft... Starcraft... interesting
    2)I meant as in a good race for me
    3)what time?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

25. - Top - End - #445

1) Starcraft... Starcraft... interesting
    2)I meant as in a good race for me
    3)what time?
    When in doubt, check Winter's signature!

26. - Top - End - #446

Gack. School is starting back up again and suddenly I'm interested again in both Starcraft and Warcraft melee.

I hope you're all happy.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Gack. School is starting back up again and suddenly I'm interested again in both Starcraft and Warcraft melee.

I hope you're all happy.
    Yes. Yes, we are.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #448
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny of Faith View Post
    When in doubt, check Winter's signature!
    I miss the days when Winter had 3 groups in his sig . But real life happens. Also, my coursework is picking up considerably so I'll be sporadic at times. I don't think it'll affect fridays, but sundays it might.

-UGNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It's not depressing, it's the playground.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-gotNOgame View Post
    I miss the days when Winter had 3 groups in his sig . But real life happens.
    I don't think I ever did. That was LK. I never had the space to put all three groups into my sig, so I put only the ones whom I "manage" into there.

Quote Originally Posted by u-gotNOgame View Post
    Also, my coursework is picking up considerably so I'll be sporadic at times. I don't think it'll affect fridays, but sundays it might.
    Awwww...
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-01-13 at 11:44 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session. I hope to see you there.

Pardon me for not sending out PMs, but I'm feeling rather sick today, and would rather do something like... lie down, than sending out a dozen of PMs.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-01-14 at 03:23 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll