New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group (thread II)

Whoops, just realized a whole bunch of people posted above me.

I played X Hero Siege once or twice many years ago and I don't really remember anything about it in particular. But I feel I should echo Eve (great post, by the way ) that quality is better than quantity; if a hero is made well enough it will remain fresh and will allow for a large number of play-styles while remaining within a certain theme. I don't mean that every hero should be able to fulfill every role, that would just make them all generic, but that if you have, say, a nuke-oriented spellcaster, the spells should be varied enough that they don't all feel the same or interchangeable*.

*Which I know is something that I, myself, need to work on...

Some ideas that crossed my mind (whether you use them or not is totally up to you, I don't mind if they get rejected. ) to possibly aid this:

-Perhaps not being able to max out all of your skills or having to choose between which skills to get at all (if you do this, make sure to give the heroes a lot of them or an innate spell or something so that they can't just wind up with one or two spells the whole game)
    -Attribute based skills, as Eve suggested. Perhaps even being based on more than one attribute, as I think you suggested to me about ICD once.
    -Having a greater emphasis on heroes interacting with each other. Maybe when hero X is alone he plays this way, but when paired with Z he plays another way, and when paired with Y he plays a different way altogether. Whether this is accomplished through hard or soft synergy isn't particularly important, though I find that soft synergy feels less jarring.

Hope this helps in some way.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eh. Depends on the game you're making.

If you want to make the players tense, maybe in a horror type of game, then have a few critical moments at unforseeable points in a (hopefully not too long) chunk of time spent in anticipation. But then you have to deal with player frustration, it's often more fun to just have control over everything. Another pesky balance. Doesn't sound like the hero siege game is going to be really tense.

To attract the number-crunchers, add some randomness, because probability calculations are where it's at. Diablo, for example, was hugely replayable (for its time) with the random dungeon and items drops. SWAT is another example. But for it to work, you also have to make contingencies or back-up plans possible, especially if you go all the way and make the combat more random, say with innate criticals on everything. I'm partial to the "no pulled punches" approach, with random enemies who can be more powerful than a player, because running is part of tactics, too. There's another nice bonus with giving noobs something to blame their initial losses on, but they won't give it too many chances if something doesn't make itself clear.

Then there's resources and epicness. It seems pretty common to do the DnD progression now (start with rats, eventually take on gods). And it is easier to figure out. There's a corollary for items where some hideous ultra-power widget is always for sale for an equally obscene amount of wealth (yeah, I know, 6 inventory slots, hands are tied, blah). But I really like the games that go the extra mile and make the initial grunts do something useful even later on, it's nice for continuity. I could see, for example, an enemy with a slowing attack make a difference.

Hmm, I'm out of stuff already. Good thing I'm not a game designer.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Orc in the Playground

oh and remember: if you make too many things that can kill players without much chance to react you make your players really paranoid and thats usually not very fun; it is possible to make paranoia fun but its really ****ing hard and i have never seen it done outside of a role playing game. i do agree though: if you want horror make the player characters NEED to be afraid; look at bioshock VS system shock 2 "omg low health no psi points 3 bullets guns almost broken and OH **** A SECURITY MECH" vs "i am the god of rapture(stupid lack of character selection). feel my wrath! now excuse me, i kill two big daddies and a bunch of splicers with my health/mana stealing wrench, then fire my machine gun into the air for a few minutes to celebrate-and so i can pick up all these machine gun bullets! messy!"

if you want to make it more for the diablo2/JRPG crowd then no: randomness in the characters is not good; they need absolutely control for precise optimization of the characters. and dont include a re-spec option for bonus grind points; i would however include random drops and stuff that requires grind, maybe a save/load system. i however loathe this with the fiery passion of a thousand dying stars. that audience is not what i would call "my people".

recources and epicness are mostly for story purposes. look at how morrowind started you with a shirt pants a lockpick and a dagger, because you were getting off a prison ship to eventually do spoilery epic hero things and the progression of your character from "noob/outsider, shunned by the entire continent" to "unstoppable high fantasy badass" was part of the game, and the acquisition of those weapons and armor made out of demons was a significant part of the game, as was inventory management. whereas you look at mass effect 2, where your character starts off with a reputation for heroism or badass antiheroism and the gear to go with it. or look at the armored core games where some gear is better than other stuff, but it makes sacrifices too (these legs are faster but support less weight and generate more heat, so you just need a better radiatior-which is heavier, and of course lighter weapons or upper body which arent as good for protection/damage). thats hard to do though.

hm; this sorta turned into a criticism of nooblade's post, i should make it reflect that more directly. and sorry for incoherence but rushed.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh don't worry, I've done plenty of thinking about general game design. I'm well aware of the whole quality vs quantity thing and all. The reason I decided to go for having lots of simplistic heroes vs having a few, very deep ones, was because making those few, deep ones would actually take an order of magnitude more work than making a few dozen simpler ones. Add to that the fact that having a deep character creation ruins the whole point of simple fun slaughter lots of doods fun of X Hero Siege, and you can see why I decided to go for quantity over quality. Or perhaps a better way to explain it would be that I favored simplicity over complexity, which also happens to be easier to make. Anyways, I'm setting that aside for now, and may or may not come back to it. (more likely to try and make it in SC2, which handles loads of units better)

I've decided to buckle down (hah) a bit and focus on making Fall of the Lich King. Specifically, I want to have a playtestable version done for the custom map session this Friday. It may turn out that I'm not able to attend, but we will see.

However, for FotLK I definitely am going to be going for quality over quantity, and to that end I want to pick 2-3 heroes and really polish them to a shine as much as I can before this Friday. So, out of the 8, which one would each of you like to see the most, whether for flavor or expected playstyle?

As a refresher, here's the summary for each again:
    Spoiler
    Show

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crypt Lord
    Type: Defender/Leader
    Health: High
    Armor: High
    Attack: Low
    Mana: Low
    Main Stat: Strength
    Special Unit: Cryptguard

Abilities

Implale: Spikes erupt from the ground, damaging and stunning enemies.
    Locust Swarm: Creates a swarm of locusts that leech life from enemies.
    :
    Spiked Carapace - Aura: Increases armor and damages melee attackers.
    Burrow - Ultimate: The Crypt Lord burrows underground, granting increased armor and spell immunity, and allowing him to attack from range.

Pit Lord
    Type: Defender/Controller
    Health: High
    Armor: Medium
    Attack: Medium
    Special Unit: Mo'arg Warrior

Abilities

Rain of Fire: Rains fire on the Pit Lord's enemies.
    Demonic Blood: Target goes berserk and is buffed for a short time.
    Fel Warblade: Attacks have a chance to hit nearby enemies and grant mana.
    Onslaught - Aura: Increases health and melee damage.
    Howling Doom - Ultimate: The Pit Lords lets out a terrifying roar, encouraging his troops and causing nearby enemies to flee.

Death Knight
    Type: Leader/Defender
    Health: Medium
    Mana: Medium
    Special Unit: Frost Revenant

Abilities

Death Coil: All units near the target take damage, or are healed if allies.
    Dark Pact: Kills target friendly unit, healing you.
    :
    Unholy Aura - Aura: Increases movement speed and life regeneration.
    Army of the Dead - Ultimate: Raises nearby units, which become invulnerable and fight for the Death Knight for a short time.

Dark Ranger
    Type: Leader/Striker
    Health: Low
    Attack: High
    Mana: Medium
    Main Stat: Agility
    Special Unit: Banshee

Abilities

Silence: Prevents units in area from using abilities.
    Black Arrow: Attacks deal extra damage over time and create skeletons.
    :
    Unholy Accuracy - Aura: Increases damage of ranged units.
    - Ultimate:

Eredar Warlock
    Type: Striker/Controller
    Armor: Low
    Mana: High
    Main Stat: Intelligence
    Special Unit: Infernal

Abilities

Fireball: Deals high damage in a large area.
    :
    Incinerate: Attacks deal increasing damage, target explodes on death.
    - Aura:
    Conflagration - Ultimate: Sets target unit on fire, dealing damage over time and causing it to panic, running around randomly. Targets within range of the unit also catch fire, and panic. Each unit can only catch fire once.

Fel Blademaster
    Type: Striker/Leader
    Main Stat: Agility
    Special Unit: Fel Orc

Abilities

Wind Walk: Turns invisible, increasing ally's attack speed, and backstab.
    Whirlwind: Deals damage to units near the Blademaster.
    Mirror Images: Creates a number of mirror images that deal partial damage.
    Critical Strike - Aura: Gives a chance to deal extra damage on attack.
    Bladestorm - Ultimate: Strikes random targets in an area multiple times.

Lich
    Type: Controller/Striker
    Health: Low
    Armor: Low
    Special Unit: Coldwraith

Abilities

Frost Bolt: Fires a slow projectile that slows and damages units.
    Blink: Teleport to target point.
    Shatter: Increases damage against slowed/frozen units.
    Chilling Presence - Aura: Slows the movement and attack speed of enemies.
    Deep Freeze - Ultimate: All slowed units in a huge area are frozen in place and take damage over time. Attacks have a chance to free the unit.

Dreadlord
    Type: Controller/Defender
    Attack: Low
    Special Unit: Succubus

Abilities

Hypnosis: All units in target area fall asleep.
    Stone Gaze: Target unit turns to stone, becoming invulnerable
    Bat Swarm: Damages units and gives them a chance to miss attacks.
    Vampiric Aura - Aura: Melee units drain life on attack.
    Cloak of Shadows - Ultimate: The Dreadlord turns invisible, but can still attack, and gives nearby allies a high chance to evade attacks.

You'll also notice that there's still a few blank abilities, especially for the Eredar Warlock and the Dark Ranger, so if you have any ideas for an ability for them to have, or a better/more appropriate ability for another hero, feel free to give a suggestion.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #545

ElfMonkGuy

I like the Dark Ranger. I'd give the Dark Ranger either Dark Pact (Standard ability), or:
    Piercing Shot - Fires an arrow at the target direction, dealing damage to all enemies it hits along its trajectory.

I'd give it a short(ish) cooldown and decent damage, so that if used on every cooldown you would have very high end damage, although you would drain mana very quickly.

And the Eredar Warlock could have:
    Chain Fireblast - Hits the target with a ball of fire, dealing damage and stunning them. The blast then chains to other nearby targets, each hit dealing less damage (But still stunning for the same duration).

I'd give it something like a 3 second stun time, and starting off hitting a small number of targets but building up to hitting nearly every enemy in sight. Basically just a stunning chain lightning.

They seem like moderately fitting abilities; in that it gives the Dark Ranger a pseudo-nuke, and it gives the Warlock some stunning, something I find often goes well with caster heroes.
    Last edited by Melamoto; 2010-03-15 at 01:28 PM.
    Give me any character, and I will give you a freeform conversion.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, not bad ideas, here's my take on them though:

Cloaked Arrow: Arrow appears a short distance from the targeted point, and then travels away from you a slightly longer distance, dealing high damage to the first enemy hit, and then less as it passes through more enemies. Higher levels increase the range, distance traveled, and damage, and decrease the rate at which damage falls off from multiple targets. Cooldown ~5-10 seconds, low-moderate mana cost.

Chain Reaction: Applies a DoT effect that lasts 5 seconds. After 4 seconds, the effect jumps to another enemy, this time lasting 4 seconds, and jumping after 3, and then 3 seconds jumping after 2. When the DoT effect ends, the unit explodes, dealing damage to nearby enemies, and is stunned for 3 seconds. Higher levels decrease the rate at which the duration decreases, causing the effect to jump more. Cooldown ~15-20 seconds, moderate mana cost.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

A few things I thought when reading the heroes' abilities:

Death Knight's Death Pact: Make sure the cooldown on this is high enough or the return not too high, or else the Death Knight will become nigh unkillable and be able to push back every lane all on his own with ease.

Lich's Shatter/Chilling Presence/Deep Freeze: Do units slowed by Chilling Presence count as being slowed for the purposes of being dealt additional damage by Shatter/being frozen by Deep Freeze? If so, it would seem Chilling Presence sort of changes Shatter to "Increases damage against everything" and Deep Freeze into "freeze everything in a huge area", as everything will be slowed without the Lich's player actually having to do anything. If you want the limitations on Shatter/Deep Freeze to actually matter, you have to make the Lich do something in order to slow the targets first. Some things you could do would be:
    - Don't have Chilling Presence's slow count for qualifying units as targets for the other two spells (making Frost Bolt the only way to make them apply),
    - turn Chilling Presence into an ability that has to be actively used (something like Shock Wave, except slowing rather than damaging, maybe), or
    - keep Chilling Presence as aura but give it a very short range, requiring the Lich to micro himself in position to get the most out of it.

Dread Lord's Hypnosis: This sounds extremely powerful to me. It's essentially an "I win this battle button", as it will suddenly shut all of the creeps down and allow the Dread Lord to kill them off one by one, or have the enemy hero face the Dread Lord and his creeps without the assistance of his own creeps. I'm not sure how to make this work best, but be careful with this one.

Dread Lord's Cloak of Shadows: Funny - just yesterday, at the melee session, we noted how extremely cool a shadowmelded Dread Lord looks.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

Death pact balance will by tricky, but that's likely going to be the same for just about every other ability as well. They're all supposed to be fairly powerful.

For the Lich, I've had pretty much the same thoughts you've had. I'm not sure how I want it to work quite yet, but most likely I'll have the AoE be normal-sized and make it not count as a slowing effect for his other abilities. Having it small and count could also work, but I'm hesitant to do that because I don't think the aura buffs/debuffs apply/fade fast enough for that kind of tight control. If I did go this route, I'd likely have to make the trigger that sees how slowed something is ignore the slow effect of the aura and instead check to see if the target is close enough that it should have the aura on it, whether or not it actually does yet.

For hypnosis, that's definitely a valid concern, but I don't think it's too big of a deal, since the sleep won't last forever (especially against heroes) and the enemy hero can always just retreat for a bit. Compared to, say, using a higher-damage hero to just kill all the enemy creeps really fast, hypnosis is better since it can be done faster usually, but worse because it's only a temporary situation.

Still, it's a powerful control effect, and that's what I want the dreadlord to have, so it should be fine. At worst, I'll have to swap it out with Cloak of Shadows and make it the capstone.

Also, note that unlike most AoSes, FotLK isn't divided into two teams with multiple lanes attacking each other. I may end up going with something more like that later on, at least as a mode, but for now I'm working with it as a 12-player free-for-all, with each player having their own base and then fighting for control of various control points, of which there are 50 in total.

Here's a rough sketch of what the map looks like:
    Code:
        X   X   X   X
       /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\
      o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
     /|  \ /     \ /  |\
    X-o   o       o   o-X
     \|\  |       |  /|/
      o o-O---O---O-o o\
     /|/  |       |  \|-X
    X-o   o       o   o/
     \|  / \     / \  |
      o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
       \|/ \|/ \|/ \|/
        X   X   X   X

X: Player Start
    o: control point
    Players have a few paths to fight with their neighbors, but the major conflict is meant to happen closer to the center. First you'll fight with one of your neighbors over access to either the east or west staging ground, and then fight 2 other players to take the staging ground. From there, you assault the main citadel, fighting against whichever player on the opposite side managed to get that far, and finally fighting against the paladin that has taken up the Lich King's crown to try and reign in the scourge. Whoever holds the center has a powerful boost, and depending on the mode holding the center for some amount of time might win the game for you on it's own, but otherwise you'll have to use the powerful forces the throne grants you to fight off all the other players that will besiege you, and eventually push them back and take control of the whole of Icecrown.

For a 2-team match, the terrain doesn't have to change much. I'd add 2 lanes in the empty space immediately above and below the citadel itself, and then use the two staging grounds as bases with the 2 added lanes and the center lane for a 3-lane fight, with the center also having the throne, which each side will want to take, and the side-lanes serving as easier routes to destroy the enemy base. (which is heavily defended from a frontal assault) The center lane is the key to victory, but the outer lanes cannot be ignored, lest the enemy lead an assault on your base camp and destroy your base before you can claim the lich king's crown.

Edit: Note that I'm also thinking of cutting down on the number of paths between the various CPs in the outer ring, which seems a bit busy right now. Notably, the diagonal paths don't serve too much purpose, I think.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2010-03-15 at 03:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    For the Lich, I've had pretty much the same thoughts you've had. I'm not sure how I want it to work quite yet, but most likely I'll have the AoE be normal-sized and make it not count as a slowing effect for his other abilities. Having it small and count could also work, but I'm hesitant to do that because I don't think the aura buffs/debuffs apply/fade fast enough for that kind of tight control. If I did go this route, I'd likely have to make the trigger that sees how slowed something is ignore the slow effect of the aura and instead check to see if the target is close enough that it should have the aura on it, whether or not it actually does yet.
    Personally, I think the most interesting way to solve this would be to turn Chilling Presence into some sort of actively used ability, because I don't think heroes should have more than one passive ability - and Shatter is, by my understanding, either a passive or something like Searing Arrows (which is almost the same thing as a passive), right? So I'd turn Shatter into a fully passive ability or maybe even an aura (causing everything to deal bonus damage to slowed/frozen units), and turn Chilling Presence into an actively used spell.

Also, note that unlike most AoSes, FotLK isn't divided into two teams with multiple lanes attacking each other. I may end up going with something more like that later on, at least as a mode, but for now I'm working with it as a 12-player free-for-all, with each player having their own base and then fighting for control of various control points, of which there are 50 in total.
    Ah. I see. Looks like a very interesting concept.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Personally, I think the most interesting way to solve this would be to turn Chilling Presence into some sort of actively used ability, because I don't think heroes should have more than one passive ability - and Shatter is, by my understanding, either a passive or something like Searing Arrows (which is almost the same thing as a passive), right? So I'd turn Shatter into a fully passive ability or maybe even an aura (causing everything to deal bonus damage to slowed/frozen units), and turn Chilling Presence into an actively used spell.
    I agree that no hero should have more than 1 passive ability, but the aura doesn't really figure in to that. The aura is a special thing that all of the heroes have, and they don't choose it, they just have it from the start. Shatter is the only passive ability the Lich has, and if I decided that I didn't want any of the heroes to have passive abilities at all (and for the record, I count searing arrow as a passive ability) then I'd make shatter into a instant nuke that deals more damage to slowed/frozen units.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Out of mild curiosity, why are most of the abilites just melee hero skills?

The Death Knight probably won't be too good unless it can actually make undead minions before level 6. If not, Dark Pact and Death Coil will be rather limited.

Just my 2 cents.
    trill in da playground

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

There's nothing wrong with using the default skills when they're appropriate. It's preferable, actually, since more triggers just mean more sources of lag and bugs.

And there are plenty of undead minions for the death knight to heal/much on, since all of the units that spawn with each wave are undead.

13. - Top - End - #553

At a cursory glance it sounds rather chaotic and busy to me, but we'll have to play it to see how it turns out.

On the topic of Chilling Presence - I'd turn it into an activated ability as well, for the reasons put forth by Winterwind, but also because it might confuse the players (even those not playing the Lich) as to what can freeze them/others and what cannot.

There's nothing wrong with using the default skills when they're appropriate. It's preferable, actually, since more triggers just mean more sources of lag and bugs.
    Only arguably - while this can be true, on the other hand, new abilities feel more fresh to the player and remain interesting for longer. Even if you don't play much or any melee, because a lot of custom maps, especially the older ones, use default spells or ones which just change around the icon and numbers.

That being said, though, I always find it interesting to see when people take an existing spell or unit and put a new spin on it while keeping it similar enough that it feels familiar and yet new at the same time, which it more or less sounds like what you're aiming for.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

On the Dreadlord: AoE sleep and single target sleep. What?
    trill in da playground

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, hm, you're right, I forgot that the sleep in WC3 makes you invulnerable. I'll probably change that to being a stun that's broken when you're attacked.

They might still be too similar, though, so feel free to share any other ideas you have.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2010-03-16 at 04:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, hm, you're right, I forgot that the sleep in WC3 makes you invulnerable. I'll probably change that to being a stun that's broken when you're attacked.
    No, sleep doesn't make you invulnerable. It makes the AI no longer target you automatically, but you can attack sleeping units just fine if you issue the order manually (breaking the sleep).

They might still be too similar, though, so feel free to share any other ideas you have.
    How about replacing it with Cripple? You can even keep the fluff similar ("partially petrifies target unit"), and it would fit in with the Controller/Defender theme.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

No, sleep doesn't make you invulnerable. It makes the AI no longer target you automatically, but you can attack sleeping units just fine if you issue the order manually (breaking the sleep).
    It temporarily makes the unit invulnerable, then attackable.

Also, for the Pit Lord, the HP-increaseing part of the aura seems a little weird, but could be fine.

For ability ideas, perhaps start by looking at other AoSs and see what sort of abilites are there.
    Last edited by Inhuman Bot; 2010-03-16 at 02:37 PM.
    trill in da playground

18. - Top - End - #558

If you were to replace Hypnosis; perhaps some sort of AoE debuff that reduces attack/movement speed? Maybe a one-shot spell, or maybe spawning an invulnerable unit with an aura or even just a normal ward with an aura. The latter two options allow for the spell to be more powerful or last longer, but still counterable.

If you were to replace Stone Gaze; perhaps a spell that still allows the target to attack and cast spells but prevents it from moving, maybe also reducing its armor in the process or something to that effect.

These suggestions both assume you would change one or the other, not both. If you change them at all, anyway.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session.
    I'm not sure whether I will be able to attend or gone over the weekend; I'll tell you when I know.

Oh, and, one more thing, though I really don't like talking about it, as I'm not sure how to say this right: I think the number of people who are not members of our group who keep following us around is slowly somewhat getting out of hand. Don't get me wrong - I welcome anyone who wants to join us with open arms, and there is nothing wrong about bringing friends who are nice and also want to participate at the session. But recently, we are being swamped by people who just suddenly appear in our games out of nowhere, without having been in the channel previously, who lock out actual Playgrounders out of games by taking the last slots and ruin our plans when we suddenly find out we have a completely different player number than we thought (and you all know how often it sometimes takes us to decide upon what to play even without this added obstacle!). Then, after the game, they do not participate in deciding what to play next, join the next game, and only then spontaneously declare they don't like it and vanish again, once more bringing our plans in disarray. Once more, there's nothing wrong with bringing friends. But strangers disrupting our sessions, that's more of an issue. So, it would be nice if this could get somewhat constrained.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-03-18 at 10:13 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #560

we could all get alt accounts and switch to a different channel.

21. - Top - End - #561

What did faith's clan do this time? Or was it something worse than that?

22. - Top - End - #562
    Orc in the Playground

I think Winter specifically didn't mention names to keep this from getting to personal. However, I agree wholeheartedly with Winter; there has to be some limit. I'm unsure whether this has been explained to these people so I think that should be the first course of action. After that however, if they prove to be unresponsive, we might just have to goto kicking them from our games. This may sound a bit harsh but sometimes life is.

Also, seeing as I will be downstate all weekend and unplugged (relativly) I will not be in attendance for this weeks custom session. I might however be able to get back to play a little on sunday depending on how sleep deprived I am.

-UGNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    It's not depressing, it's the playground.

23. - Top - End - #563

I agree; friends of members are perfectly fine, but once we venture into friends-of-friends and friends-of-friends-of-friends it begins to become an all-around annoyance.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    What did faith's clan do this time? Or was it something worse than that?
    Actually, I wasn't referring to anyone's friends or clan specifically. And the problem is exactly what I described in my previous post - we find we have 8 people, host an AoS with 10 slots that requires even numbers, suddenly 3 people appear out of nowhere. Not only do we suddenly no longer have even numbers, some Playgrounder also is locked out now. If we rehost a bigger map to include them, suddenly they do not appear. Or just a part of them does. And so on.

It's difficult enough to plan when we know how many we are, it becomes impossible if our number actually is [people_in_channel]+1d4-1.

That, and some of them lack the courtesy and friendliness that is usually a trait of Playgrounders.

By the way, I will be attending today's session after all. See you later!
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-03-19 at 06:51 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

That, and some of them lack the courtesy and friendliness that is usually a trait of Playgrounders.
    No need to be egoistic. There's more playgrounders then just you.

trill in da playground

26. - Top - End - #566
    Pixie in the Playground

For those who might be interested, me and Legoshrimp managed to get a working strategy for 4-player When Fel Orcs Go Insane. I've also extrapolated this strategy for an 8-player version, which is theoretically sound but untested. We ended up losing our final try (using the 4-player strat) because of a stupid mistake, (we all forgot that the starting burrow on the right hadn't been replaced) but except for that it had been going great.

I threw it up here, where I might post more simple strategies like that for various custom maps. In particular, it seems a guide to Legion TD Wars might be in order.
    Are you guys still playing Fel Orcs?

27. - Top - End - #567

dunno. what games are played during a session are voted on, so if you want to play something, just suggest it. custom map session starts at 4 est on fridays and melee session starts at 4 est on sundays.
    Last edited by Nohwl; 2010-03-20 at 11:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    No need to be egoistic. There's more playgrounders then just you.

Awww...

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    Are you guys still playing Fel Orcs?
    When it gets proposed and noone suggests anything that the majority would rather play, sure, we do.

Reminder: Melee session tomorrow. I hope to see you all there!

(By the way - since I think I never actually mentioned that - I figured one reminder PM for WarCraft per week was enough, so I've stopped sending out the reminders for the melee session quite a while ago. I hope that's fine with everyone. )
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2010-03-20 at 01:52 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

29. - Top - End - #569

Since WW is gone for whatever reason, here's a reminder that the custom map session is tomorrow, though I sadly won't be able to make it. Hope you all see each other there!
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Not so much gone as simply completely forgot about posting the reminder.
    So thank you for doing that in my stead, TFT.

Though as far as 'gone' is concerned, I will be gone from this Saturday until April the 7th to visit family over Easter, and will have little if any opportunities to log onto the forums during this time (much less participate in the sessions).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll