New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group (thread II)

So, reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session.
    I'm afraid I most likely will not be able to show up, due to going to visit family over the weekend (unless I should decide to drive on Saturday instead of Friday; unlikely though).

Also, we probably should start discussing how our weekend sessions (WC3 custom, StarCraft 1, WC3 melee) are to be affected by StarCraft 2's release. We'll want some day for StarCraft 2, too, after all, and the question is whether we should get rid of one of the sessions we had so far (and if so, which one), simply create new ones (during the week), have different sessions take place simultaneously, and whether we need one or two sessions for StarCraft 2.

Since this primarily concerns our weekend session community, I think we should rather discuss it in our threads, rather than the SC2 thread. I propose doing it in the StarCraft 1 thread - it's thematically closer related, after all.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

On the SC 2 thread, I suggested we do it on Saturday.
    trill in da playground

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

And reminder: Tomorrow is our next melee session. I hope to see you all there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

Does the Custom Map play session use a set choice of maps? Since I've been toying with the idea of remaking my Magic: The Gathering-esque map. (My brother's unfortunately been hogging our copy of SC: II.)

Some test-dummies, I mean players who can provide some feedback would be nice, off course, if people would like to test a playable version.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sirroelivan View Post
    Does the Custom Map play session use a set choice of maps? Since I've been toying with the idea of remaking my Magic: The Gathering-esque map. (My brother's unfortunately been hogging our copy of SC: II.)

Some test-dummies, I mean players who can provide some feedback would be nice, off course, if people would like to test a playable version.
    We usually play whatever the most people agree to play, really. New maps are always a good thing!

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

^ What the rabbit said.

There is a bunch of maps that we play more often than others (Rabbits vs. Sheep, Desert of Exile, Castle Fight, Magic: The Gathering TD, to name a few), but that's mostly because those are maps we know we can usually quite easily agree upon. The rest of the time, we vote for whatever maps we feel like, and we are always happy about new maps to be added to the pool (just as we are about new victims to lure into our little circle. I mean players. Yes, yes, I totally do. No ritual sacrifices around here, no sir. ).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

7. - Top - End - #817
    Troll in the Playground

Right, so gonna start working on my new map. Problem is, I've got three ways of doing "card game" map. If you guys are willing, I'd like to hear your preferences / suggestions.

1. An actual turnbased card game map, mimicking Magic: The Gathering and such. (With different rules though.) Kinda like my original map.

2. Players play 1v1 in a small closed arena. You control a caster hero. Magic orbs appear regularly at random locations. You can pick them up for mana in order to summon creatures, cast spells and such. (Similar to a Magic game that was made a few years ago.)

3. 8 Players or something similar. Choice of multiple commanders. You summon creatures and cast spells. Large map for all players. Control points give you mana income, give map-wide buffs and the like. (Kinda like Battle Forge if anyone remembers it.)

8. - Top - End - #818
    Bugbear in the Playground

The third option sounds like the most fun to me, but then I've never really been into turn-based stuff in general so this is just personal opinion.

Anyway, I wish you luck on your endeavor. I have relatively advanced experience with GUI but I never took the time to learn JASS, so if you have any questions relating to GUI or general editor stuff feel free to ask (though since you've already published a map I would imagine you already know your way around it).

9. - Top - End - #819
    Orc in the Playground

1v1 maps can be a pain, even if the same map supports a pool of players who 1v1 each other.

turn based can work, but not in groups of people. theres always that one pain in the ass who takes so long
    <.<
    >.>

the last one seems to have the most potential.
    Last edited by 742; 2010-08-03 at 06:41 AM.
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

10. - Top - End - #820
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    The third option sounds like the most fun to me, but then I've never really been into turn-based stuff in general so this is just personal opinion.

Anyway, I wish you luck on your endeavor. I have relatively advanced experience with GUI but I never took the time to learn JASS, so if you have any questions relating to GUI or general editor stuff feel free to ask (though since you've already published a map I would imagine you already know your way around it).
    Agreed, except the only thing I can really do in the map editor is terrain.
    trill in da playground

11. - Top - End - #821
    Troll in the Playground

I figured the third idea was going to be the best, taking in account how difficult it was to get people to play my old map. They always like the idea, but playing the map isn't that interesting.

Most of my coding has been in GUI, just started learning JASS when I quit mapping. (My proudest achievement was a Stronghold: Crusader conversion ) (Which coincided with me starting uni.) Luckily, I've had several programming courses since and have learned a lot about programming in general.

I'm awful at terraining though. Not the terraining itself necessarily, but map layouts mostly.

Edit: Think I'm gonna work on a smaller project first though, to get into map making again.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2010-08-03 at 05:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #822

Eh, I tried starting with both, JASS just worked easier and let me do things faster. The only trick was to get a feel for the functions included in common.j (looking at it with JassCraft helped me) and to follow some tutorials.

Also, I have received a small miniatures game (not Warhammer). It is estimated that assembling it and playing it will take up the short time remaining in my summer. I'm sure noone regrets my absence.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

I'm awful at terraining though. Not the terraining itself necessarily, but map layouts mostly.
    I can help you with that, if you'd like.
    trill in da playground

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    Eh, I tried starting with both, JASS just worked easier and let me do things faster. The only trick was to get a feel for the functions included in common.j (looking at it with JassCraft helped me) and to follow some tutorials.

Also, I have received a small miniatures game (not Warhammer). It is estimated that assembling it and playing it will take up the short time remaining in my summer. I'm sure noone regrets my absence.
    Ah, well, I was heavily ingrained in GUI before I even looked at JASS. It's not that JASS is that difficult to understand, it's just that things go a lot smoother now I've gotten some more programming experience.

Also, what miniature game? Warmachine? Malifaux? ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    I can help you with that, if you'd like.
    Ah, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when I've gotten a map concept worked out a bit better.

15. - Top - End - #825

Also, what miniature game? Warmachine? Malifaux? ... ?
    It's Arcane Legions.

Yeah, I expect to be doing real work for most of the meagre 26 days remaining in my vacation. The small minis, the inexpense, the simple rules, all of these things are advantages in my book. Got the idea from a thread that died some months ago.

So far, they're fun to put together and to look at, I really like the alternate history thing. Although I fairly dread the painting, I'm happy for the foreseeable future.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure noone regrets my absence.
    I do.

But, I totally understand the fun in miniatures (considering Warhammer's taken up the majority of my free time lately), so, enjoy!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

I thought Arcane Legion mini's were prepainted? (Not that you can't repaint them off course, if that's what you're planning.)

18. - Top - End - #828

No, these guys are unpainted. Painted boxes are available at expense, or the rarer figures come with the paint depending on the package, but the jobs there don't look very impressive anyway. This will show me if I'm a mini-painting guy or not, but first I need to finish assembly and also I want to try a game soon.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Reminder: Tomorrow is our custom map session. I hope to see you all there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, after reading all the comments in my old project log on TheHelper, and studying my old map, I'm really wanting to just remake that one.

I'm thinking of changing the turn based aspect though, since that seems to be putting people off. I was thinking of going with an active turn based system, like in some RPG's. So basically it's real time, but when a Creature for example does something it has to cooldown for a short bit of time. Thoughts?

Edit: Blech, remember what I always hated about mapping: to many ideas...

Edit2: Oh, since when does the World Editor have a working HashMap structure? (Well, Handles and HashTables.) Sweet anyway.

Edit3: Just gonna go with the third idea after all, for reason mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2010-08-06 at 01:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

Right, so if I'm converting time correctly, the meetup is in about an hour-and-a-half?

Edit: AceHart on the Helper.net has made some great maps that can be played in under 20 minutes if anyone's interested in trying out a few.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2010-08-06 at 01:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #832

Right, so if I'm converting time correctly, the meetup is in about an hour-and-a-half?

Edit: AceHart on the Helper.net has made some great maps that can be played in under 20 minutes if anyone's interested in trying out a few.
    Yep, but people sometimes show up late or early anyway.

Feel free to suggest new maps during the session if you like. Trying new things is always good.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to get on I am already on, although somewhat alt tabbing between wc3 and sc2. But hit me up if you want to play something quickly before the session starts. Although this is probably a tad late to be useful

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

And reminder again: Tomorrow is our next melee session. I hope to see you all there!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #835

I'm having way more fun painting these guys than a guy who spent 30 bucks on plastic dolls should be able to. A guide on the internet recommended wood finish as a coating, and it's really neat to have it fill in all the crevices the way an ink wash in a Warhammer mini might go. You can see the texture on them! It's only a black ink color, but they turned out much better than I expected. It's also really fun to scavenge the art supplies from around home instead of buying them.

Not done yet, but I think I'm going to end up spending more money on it. Would it be frowned on to show off in the Warhammer mini pictures thread? Or actually, I think I'd sig them when I'm done.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Would it be frowned on to show off in the Warhammer mini pictures thread?
    Not at all. People show off minis from other games all the time there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

27. - Top - End - #837
    Troll in the Playground

Right, decided to make a small, simple map to get back into map making. (And since most of my regular ideas aren't that interesting for anyone besides me anyway. )

So, the basic concept:

-Low Food Cap: Let's say 5 with each unit costing 1 food.
    -You get a fixed amount of gold.

You have a small base consisting of a Factory and an Upgrades Building.

There's a selection of six different units: 3 Light Units and 3 Heavy Units.

The Light Units will be mostly fast / utility units while the Heavy Units will be doing most of the combat.

The Upgrades Building contains 3 upgrades for each unit-type. Upgrades add abilities, improve characteristics and such.

At any time, you can sell your units inside your base or unresearch your upgrades. Units killed also give you their value as a refund. This allows you to constantly adjust your strategy on the fly.

The objective will probably be something Capture The Flag like. Every player has a flag, the first player to steal X flags and return them to his/her base wins.

(Edit: Or for unit selection I could do it kinda like in World in Conflict. Basically, you can choose between certain sets of units, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.)

28. - Top - End - #838

Right, decided to make a small, simple map to get back into map making. (And since most of my regular ideas aren't that interesting for anyone besides me anyway. )

So, the basic concept:

-Low Food Cap: Let's say 5 with each unit costing 1 food.
    -You get a fixed amount of gold.

You have a small base consisting of a Factory and an Upgrades Building.

There's a selection of six different units: 3 Light Units and 3 Heavy Units.

The Light Units will be mostly fast / utility units while the Heavy Units will be doing most of the combat.

The Upgrades Building contains 3 upgrades for each unit-type. Upgrades add abilities, improve characteristics and such.

At any time, you can sell your units inside your base or unresearch your upgrades. Units killed also give you their value as a refund. This allows you to constantly adjust your strategy on the fly.

The objective will probably be something Capture The Flag like. Every player has a flag, the first player to steal X flags and return them to his/her base wins.

(Edit: Or for unit selection I could do it kinda like in World in Conflict. Basically, you can choose between certain sets of units, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.)
    Sounds like it has potential; nothing wrong with simplicity, as long as it remains interesting.

Would you need/have a special unit that has to carry the flag, or could any unit do it?

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    Sounds like it has potential; nothing wrong with simplicity, as long as it remains interesting.

Would you need/have a special unit that has to carry the flag, or could any unit do it?
    Think It'd be simplest to just let any unit do so.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like a pretty neat concept, Sirroelivan.

And reminder: Tomorrow is our next custom map session. Hope to see you all there.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll