New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Sweet Zombie Jesus! It's Futurama

First... listen to the most EPIC theme song ever!

Futurama movie theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0sHq-ny44I

The futurama movies have sold so well that fox is talking about buying season 6! The fox line up is Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show... the last three being essitailly the same thing. Despite being from the same guy who made simpsons (matt groening), Futurama is one of the most unique and fresh shows I've ever seen, both plot and humor wise.

While the DvD movies were GOOD, I didn't find them great. I figure it's because they were specifically made to be chopped up into individual episodes. The wierd pacing and disjointed plots is what turned me off.

But the third and fourth seasons of Futurama was some of the best television I've ever seen, and heres to hoping it countinues with a season 6.

PS- The DvD movies are season 5.

Captain Zapp Brannigan: "One day, a man has everything. Then the next day, he blows up a billion dollar space station. And then the next day, he has nothing. Makes you think, huh?"

EDIT 5/7/09
    Allot of people are asking for citations. Guess I should have provided them... but come on! Wikipedia=god. They have about a dozen links to various interviews about the above. And by a dozen I mean three.

EDIT also 5/7/09... but later in the day.

FINE I looked through the huge wikipedia citation list :(. Way to take one minute of my life you lazy bastards (note the irony ;) )

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/...n_the_way.html

http://www.inquisitr.com/18383/futur...return-to-fox/

Should be noted that Groening is PISSED at fox. Even calling it an evil company because Futurama won an emmy, and he didn't even get a call when it was cancelled.

But, he loves the series and seems to be willing to work agian with fox, although he also appears to be talking to comedy central *a better choice if you ask me.
    Last edited by Wishpig; 2009-05-07 at 07:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sweet Zombie Jesus! It's Futurama

If they're Bender's Big Score quality or better...

This is the best TV news all year.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, if you're going to make a Futurama thread with that sort of news, you HAVE to start the post with "Good news, everyone!"

Anyway, you got a source for that? Because if it's true... awesome.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Wouldn't it be "bad news, everyone!"
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wishpig View Post
    The fox line up is Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show... the last three being essitailly the same thing.
    Given that The Cleveland Show hasn't even aired, it's too early to declare that, and really, Family Guy and American Dad are different. Namely that Family Guy seems to be on a quest to see how many sharks it can jump, while American Dad is still, y'know, decent.

Despite being from the same guy who made simpsons (matt groening), Futurama is one of the most unique and fresh shows I've ever seen, both plot and humor wise.
    Why is the "despite" there?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I've only seen one of the movies, I don't even rememer which one and I thought it was thoroughly "meh". Incoherent plot, uninteresting antagonists and bad penis jokes. (I mean, they did better in the episode about Fry's nose.)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I believe that Wishpig's quote refers to the fact that The Simpsons has been pure crap for over 10 years now. How many Homer is a moron, The Simpsons travel to a new and exotic locale, or Lisa is a self-righteous, insufferable know-it-all whose pet cause for the episode just happens to mirror those of the creator's episodes can they do before the show finally gets the plug pulled? The Simpsons were last any good in Season 8, and took a nosedive off the crap tree since then, hitting every branch on the way down. However, Futurama was excellent, and I am cautiously optimistic about this news. I say cautiously, because look at FG's track record since it returned from the dead.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, uh...'Citation Needed' there, Wishpig.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ClericPreston View Post
    I believe that Wishpig's quote refers to the fact that The Simpsons has been pure crap for over 10 years now.
    The movie was pretty good, although why they can't do that all the time is beyond me. It's one thing to say that all the talented writers have left the show, but then they put out something that's actually good, and it seems to imply that they could do better if they really cared.

My problem with the Simpsons is that soon the bad episodes are going to outnumber the good ones, and that will be a real shame. It's one of the greatest shows ever made, and having to admit that it is more than half crap would hurt. Many would say it's already crossed this point, but I suppose it's a matter of opinion when the actual squalus was vaulted.

Family Guy is a mixed bag for me. It's true that the show is now 95% joke and 5% plot, but enough of the jokes are funny that I can still enjoy myself if I turn my brain down. I guess their policy is that if you can only hit one gag out of ten, including a hundred gags will net you a decent amount of laughs. There's a difference between pretending to be stupid, and just being stupid, and I think FG is mostly the former though it toes the line.

Futurama is brilliant. Totally. Maybe it's because it was canceled before it got stale, but I'd say it is a better show than even the good seasons of the Simpsons. I think the DVD movies had structural issues because they were trying to make them flow like movies and like multi-part episodes, but there were still a ton of great gags. I'd be happy to see the series return, especially now that Fry and Leela's relationship seems truly cemented.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Given that The Cleveland Show hasn't even aired, it's too early to declare that, and really, Family Guy and American Dad are different. Namely that Family Guy seems to be on a quest to see how many sharks it can jump, while American Dad is still, y'know, decent.

Why is the "despite" there?
    Well, I find American Dad's humor to be the same as Family Guys w/o the flashbacks... or what ever you would call them. It's just MORE family guy with diffrent faces.

Since the Clevlend show stars a character from family guy, I think it's safe to say it won't be that much of a depature.

With three shows consisting of the same humor revolving around a single family... how long before it starts to get stale... if it already hasn't.

The "despite" is there because "despite" being made by the same guy, Futurama is nothing like the simpons. Very much unlike family guy and american dad.

And just so you know I LOVE family guy. And I enjoy American Dad. But the two are just to damn similar. Same look, same humor, even same voices.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Yeah, uh...'Citation Needed' there, Wishpig.
    You don't really need citations for this kinda crap anymore. For stuff like this just go to wikipedia. And if you don't trust that check out the citations to that article. And if you don't trust those then don't beleave it.
    Last edited by Wishpig; 2009-05-06 at 11:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

If they're really going to make a sixth season, well, that is great news. Futurama is (was?) an awesome show.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

citation needed indeed. but hey, with a new season of futurama coming, maybe we can hope for a new season of firefly, and the fountain of youth, and finding the lost city of atlantis, and while were at it, lets enchant all of our ice cream to cure cancer, and-

im sorry my cynical smart-ass reflex kicked in, this news is just too good, it has me suspicious of reality. with any hope it will happen, and fox will ruin it, and i wont have to doubt reality anymore.
    Last edited by 742; 2009-05-07 at 03:53 AM.
    current excuse for incoherence: heat

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 742 View Post
    citation needed indeed. but hey, with a new season of futurama coming, maybe we can hope for a new season of firefly, and the fountain of youth, and finding the lost city of atlantis, and while were at it, lets enchant all of our ice cream to cure cancer, and-
    Atlanta. You mean the lost city of Atlanta.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Great news if this is true. The movies have been a mixed bunch, Benders Game and the final one were decent, the first two not so much.

I'd watch it...but televisions give Morbo gas.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Citation very much needed. I scanned the Wikipedia article and there wasn´t anything on it so I´m going to reserve my happy dance for later.

Still, would be awesome if they brought it back. None of the movies has really done it for me

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrus View Post
    Citation very much needed. I scanned the Wikipedia article and there wasn´t anything on it so I´m going to reserve my happy dance for later.

Still, would be awesome if they brought it back. None of the movies has really done it for me
    Well I guess I can't blame you... citation list is VERY long... and being the lazy SOB I am I didn't want to look through them. And I didn't... I just picked the first two on the list reguarding the subject.

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/...n_the_way.html

http://www.inquisitr.com/18383/futur...return-to-fox/

Should be noted that Groening is PISSED at fox. Even calling it an evil company because Futurama won an emmy, and he didn't even get a call when it was cancelled.

But, he loves the series and seems to be willing to work agian with fox, although he also appears to be talking to comedy central *a better choice if you ask me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ClericPreston View Post
    I believe that Wishpig's quote refers to the fact that The Simpsons has been pure crap for over 10 years now.
    Uh...how? Sure, it's not as good as the earlier episodes, but it's still been quite funny pretty much the whole way through. I've never understood this strange mentality to talk about how awful The Simpsons became when, well, it hasn't. You want an example of a show becoming awful, look at Family Guy.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2009-05-09 at 12:33 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Fantastic! Futurama has always been one of my favorite shows. Good to hear it's coming back, because I think they can keep it original a good while longer. I never really saw the movies, although I probably should sometime.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Is it just me, or was Leela in the movies more like the 'what-if' Leela from Anthology of Interest 1?
    Oh, she didn't
    Spoiler
    Show
    kill off everybody
    but she seems to have a much shorter temper.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-05-09 at 02:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is really good news, seeing as how Futurama is one of teh bestest shows evar. I've had kind of mixed feelings about the movies though; I liked Bender's Big Score and Into the Wild Green Yonder, but I was fairly meh about the middle two. I think a lot of my problems with the Futurama movies (and with the Simpsons movie) was that I couldn't get over the feeling that they weren't really movies, just really long episodes. It was the same for BSG: Razor too, but then again that was a made-for-TV movie anyways. The only Big Damn Movie I've ever seen of a show that actually felt like a movie instead of a long episode is Serenity, in large part because things happened that altered our understanding of the Firefly universe and major changes happened to the characters. I think the largest problem I've had with most movies of TV shows is that unlike in Serenity, by the end of the film the status quo is still relatively untouched, and it just felt like another episode.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I made a HUGE mistake, I watched the episode Jurassic Bark agian. Oh, why didn't I learn my lesson the first time I saw that episode.

If there is every an episode to represent how awesome and unique futurama is, it is Jurassic Bark.

I'd like to see simpsons or family guy leave you in tears... and I'm not talking about the good kinds of tears. No tv show or movie has ever really drawn any emotion from me... except this... and I hate dogs.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll never see that one more than once. Ever. I hate it.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I made a HUGE mistake, I watched the episode Jurassic Bark agian. Oh, why didn't I learn my lesson the first time I saw that episode.

If there is every an episode to represent how awesome and unique futurama is, it is Jurassic Bark.

I'd like to see simpsons or family guy leave you in tears... and I'm not talking about the good kinds of tears. No tv show or movie has ever really drawn any emotion from me... except this... and I hate dogs.
    Watch Bender's Big Score again then.

It's the only cure for that sadness.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to see simpsons or family guy leave you in tears... and I'm not talking about the good kinds of tears.
    I wouldn't. I really disliked Jurassic Bark. It felt extremely out of place in what's supposed to be a comedy series. "Luck of the Fryish" did a much better job in getting an emotional reaction but still staying within the bounds what Futurama was supposed to be: A comedy series.

The ending of King Lear was also really depressing (especially Lear's final speech), but it at least fit the play to a degree. No one reads or watches King Lear expecting to see a comedy. I watch Futurama expecting to laugh, and I found Jurassic Bark to be a betrayal.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2009-05-09 at 07:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    I'll never see that one more than once. Ever. I hate it.
    You can tell who the real Futurama fans are because "Walking on Sunshine" makes us sniffle.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Season 6! oh why do i get the feeling that all robot hel will brake loose.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I wouldn't. I really disliked Jurassic Bark. It felt extremely out of place in what's supposed to be a comedy series. "Luck of the Fryish" did a much better job in getting an emotional reaction but still staying within the bounds what Futurama was supposed to be: A comedy series.

The ending of King Lear was also really depressing (especially Lear's final speech), but it at least fit the play to a degree. No one reads or watches King Lear expecting to see a comedy. I watch Futurama expecting to laugh, and I found Jurassic Bark to be a betrayal.
    But plenty of works of fiction that are dramatic or even tragic have points of comedic relief. Its okay for dramatic works to have comedy within them but not comedic works to have drama within them?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    But plenty of works of fiction that are dramatic or even tragic have points of comedic relief. Its okay for dramatic works to have comedy within them but not comedic works to have drama within them?
    I don't mind comedic works to have drama in them. What I do mind is when something has clearly been a comedy series than decides to hit you over the head with one of the most depressing endings in a TV series. It's the reason why Very Special Episodes are usually so terrible: They're going against what the series is supposed to be. I do not like that. I'm not against changes in genre or going outside the box; I'm against doing a completely 180 in the last minute of an episode on the viewer.

To take another Shakespeare example, look at Romeo and Juliet. It's true it transitions from a romantic comedy to a tragedy, but Shakespeare at least had the decency to put up a warning at the start of the play about it.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2009-05-11 at 12:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

What about the episode with the giant bees? You go on this tangent and didn't mention that one.

I see Futurama as an intriguing hybrid between drama and comedy. It actually has characters, unlike all the other gruel that comes out of the Fox network. If you're feeling 'betrayed' by a show that's actually doing it right, then maybe you should go back to watching said gruel.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glyde View Post
    What about the episode with the giant bees? You go on this tangent and didn't mention that one.

I see Futurama as an intriguing hybrid between drama and comedy. It actually has characters, unlike all the other gruel that comes out of the Fox network. If you're feeling 'betrayed' by a show that's actually doing it right, then maybe you should go back to watching said gruel.
    Ya I agree. The show obviously has much more comedy then drama, but there are some very strong episodes. Jurassic Bark is not a totally unique episode, other episodes have been fairly depressing, Jurassic Bark was just the most upsetting.

If you don't want to watch an show that mixes it up, watch simpsons or family guy or simpsons. Both great shows, but they won't throw you any tricks like futurama. And unlike the other two, futurama sometimes ends on a sad note.

PS- the bee episode was great and very touching.
    Last edited by Wishpig; 2009-05-11 at 08:22 PM.