New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: I have seen the MitD revealed in all his glory!

I still hold to the theory that:

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD is an aspect of the snarl.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

nope, its a snorlax

Originator of Snorlax for ... Keep the faith.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    I wont spoiler it since its blurbed all over the boards already.. in Start of Darkness there are knowledgeable characters who are surprised that it can talk, so it is special from its base creature in that respect.

Turn the go board upside down. Its the terrasque's head, drawn pixelated style. You can clearly see the two large horns over the eyes and the smaller horns on its chin.

As far as the terrasque being unique, this is Rich's world, he bends DnD as he sees fit.

But think about it.. if the title and the literal analogy in the comic itself arent enough dead give aways for all of you that the go board is actually a picture of the monster... I just dont know.. you are all lost. The DM is shaking his head in disbelief.
    So you're saying that it should be plainly obvious to us all that it is a tarrasque which is unlike a tarrasque in multiple ways?

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    Oh great, then OOTS would have to track down Dr Doolittle to help them find the Great Lunar Mothra to battle Codzilla in what is left of the Japanese influenced Azure City.

Now who wouldn't pay good money to see that?

Quote Originally Posted by lord pringle View Post
    my theory is that mitd is the mortal form of the snarl. The snarl needed a way to stay posted on the material plane and thus broke a piece of its self off and it became life and when the snarl is freed mitd will become it. well there's my 2 cents
    So the hunters in SoD said "oh my, I never thought I'd see a piece of snarl around here! And it can talk, too!" Is the snarl common knowledge among stereotypical British big game hunters?
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    So the hunters in SoD said "oh my, I never thought I'd see a piece of snarl around here! And it can talk, too!" Is the snarl common knowledge among stereotypical British big game hunters?
    It is possible they simply don't recognize it at all, but are unwilling to acknowledge their limited knowledge. "I've never seen one of those around here" implies you have seen one somewhere, but technically it is consistent with you never having seen one anywhere.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's the trailer for All Monsters Attack

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3047817497/

Pay special attention at 48 seconds into the trailer... and, yes he does grow to 20 meters high at will.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liwen View Post
    Doesn't works. The 15 damage reduction is overcome by good, lawful and epic weapons, so the Monster would have received good damage from Miko's attacks (let's not start a alignment debate, she was lawful and good back then since she still had the paladin class.) The attack wouldn't just tickle.

Beside, Monster-San can't have the worst Nightmare ability. In Start of Darkness,
    Spoiler
    Show
    he is revealed daily to a crowd in the circus when he used to be before Redcloak came to collect him. Hundreds of Commoners have seen him, and none of them have died from the sight. We are talking about a DC43 here.

Of course, if a dream lava can have baby dream lava, then it possible he doesn't have an effective Worst Nightmare ability, but as far as I can tell, Abominations don't have offspring

Dream Larva are "Large Outsiders" not undead. he does have abomination traits. also he has a 52 AC.. i know at least a few of DM's i've played with that AC means maybe you glanced off of the armor. in which case he might say it "tickled"

didn't know that about the spoiler, in which case you are probably right and it's not a dream larva.

7. - Top - End - #67

The dream larvae theory looked promising, but bdh5533's point about Worst Nightmare effectively dispels that idea.

I'm still going to have to go with the baby Tarrasque. It just fits. Like the Tarrasque, the MITD incredibly strong, has high DR, and the low mental ability scores that MITD has demonstrated. The MM (at least the 3.5, I don't have the others) leaves what the Tarrasque actually is highly up to the DM, so its possible that it can reproduce asexually (or possibly be reproduced magically) in Ritch's world - thus why it only knew one parent -its "dad," who was described as "big and ate A LOT," again fitting the description of a Tarrasque perfectly. True, the Tarrasque cannot speak, but the hunters were suprised that MITD could speak. As for the size issue, it has been pointed out in these forums (I can't remember by who...sorry) that in Dungeonscape (a book the Mr. Burlew coauthoued) there is the "dungeonbred" template which can reduce a monster's size while keeping its STR, CON, and Damage rather consistant. I rest my case.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    It is possible they simply don't recognize it at all, but are unwilling to acknowledge their limited knowledge. "I've never seen one of those around here" implies you have seen one somewhere, but technically it is consistent with you never having seen one anywhere.
    Never having seen one, but knowing what it is, sure. I haven't seen a great white shark in person, but I'd recognize one if I saw it. If they didn't have any idea what it was, the odds are that they would say something more to the effect of "what the heck is that?" It's not like the scientific community is sitting there looking over their shoulders. They would only be admitting lack of knowledge to each other. And the one guy can't exactly pass on the information. He can't even form an entire sentence.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by High King Iggy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's the trailer for All Monsters Attack

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3047817497/

Pay special attention at 48 seconds into the trailer... and, yes he does grow to 20 meters high at will.
    Spoiler
    Show

All monster scenes in "All Monsters Attack" (aka Godzilla's Revenge) exist only in the imagination of the little boy... while many of the monster scenes are reused shots from earlier films, everything with Minya/Minilla interacting with the little boy and/or the monster Gabara was shot for this film, and given the nature of this film, is imaginary and non-canon.

He also grew inexplicably at the end of Godzilla: Final Wars, but that movie was a complete mess and a lot of people were confused by that. In "Son of Godzilla" and "Destroy all Monsters" (the only other appearances that I can recall offhand), he didn't do any of that magic growy stuff. Nor do other similar incarnations from the Hesei series in the 90s, "Baby Godzilla", "Little Godzilla" or "Godzilla Jr."

Also someone backed up the "son of Godzilla" theory by saying that MitD's comment that his dad "was big and ate a lot" backed this up. In the nearly 30 Godzilla films (not counting the non-canonical American version in '98) Godzilla has never been shown eating anything, beyond absorbing nuclear energy. There was a scene cut from the original Gojira where he was eating a cow, and that's it. Since it was a cut scene it's also non-canon. See this link for "six questions about Godzilla":

http://www.chiprowe.com/videorev/godzilla.html

Perhaps most importantly, Minya has never really been depicted as much more than a total puss who blew ineffective smoke rings, and while by his sheer size he'd be more than a match for a typical human, I can't see him being a powerful Lich's "super secret weapon", especially walking around at human size.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Colossus in the Playground

He could be a Half-Fey baby Tarrasque. Doesn't that give him the extra INT and smaller size?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    No tarrasque, I guess. More Son of Godzilla.

Godzilla is totally indestructable, very strong...
    Yeah but the SON of Godzilla is NOT portrayed as particularly strong, fearsome or impressive, especially if we're talking Minya/Minilla (generally the smallest way he's been represented over the years). Likewise Baby Godzilla/Little Godzilla in the 90s movies were not particularly fearsome... By the time he was "Godzilla Jr." in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah he was pretty formidable but he was also WAY bigger than the MitD.

If that's true, I simply want to see Godzillas laser-roar on the Monster from the Darkness!
    The juvenile forms never displayed the full-blown atomic breath, unless you want to count when Godzilla stomped on Minya's tail and stuff like that... Just lame atomic smoke rings... and if MitD had any sort of breath weapon he could use it from the safety of the darkness anytime he wanted. The Tarrasque doesn't have a breath weapon which is more consistent with what we've seen from MitD.

In Start of Darkness when he is revealed to the audience at the circus a lady in the crowd comments that he is in some way strangely beautiful... Minya is anything but... kinda looks like a reptillian abortion. A guy in the crowd who appears to be wearing wizard's robes comments that "he's never seen anything like it"... Since wizards would be highly learned, his not knowing what the MitD is *could* mean that it's something not from the D&D universe but it could also be a nod to the Tarrasque's unique nature.

Also according to the Wikipedia entry regarding the Tarrasque, it "devours both plant and meat alike". MitD's beloved "stew" is about the simplest representation of that I can think of... just throw some meat and plants in a pot and cook 'em up...

People also like to point out that in a given campaign setting there is usually only one Tarrasque in the world... well something to think about, in this campaign setting there have been TWO WORLDS. His "dad" could have been a mature Tarrasque from the first world that was destroyed by the snarl, while MitD is the second world's Tarrasque. How he remembers his dad at all, I don't know. Inherited memories or who knows what. How other people like the game hunters and Redcloak seem to know what he is, I don't know that either. But there could be something there worth pursuing.

I will say this though, someone else mentioned that there was a "Gargantua" or "Gargantuan" monster in one of the earlier versions of D&D... well if I recall correctly this was a direct nod to the Japanese "giant monster" movies... I believe it was in the first version of "Oriental Adventures" (wink wink) and included "Reptile Gargantua", "Ape Gargantua" and "Humanoid Gargantua" that are basically analogous to Godzilla, King Kong and the humanoid Gargantuas from "War of the Gargantuas", so you could say that there is precedence for a Godzilla-like being in earlier rulebooks for D&D, but I still prefer the Tarrasque theory.

12. - Top - End - #72

I can't believe you wrote out these replies to a joke comment.

But yeah, my votes on terrasque.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverdan22 View Post
    I can't believe you wrote out these replies to a joke comment.
    I've only been reading these forums for 2 days and have seen like 3-4 different people throw out Godzilla theories, and not one of them sounded like they were joking to me. If all of them were, then of course disregard everything I've said. If any of them were serious, well there you go.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

[joke]personally, i think its Barney the dinosaur. That would truly make the order tremble[/joke] As to the bigT (or in this case little) theory, I don't think Rich would give us such obvious hints unless he was a) messing with us, or b) Planning on finishing the series in the next 100 strips. Let us pray that it is a).
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    I've only been reading these forums for 2 days and have seen like 3-4 different people throw out Godzilla theories, and not one of them sounded like they were joking to me. If all of them were, then of course disregard everything I've said. If any of them were serious, well there you go.
    That's fair enough. It more just astounded me that you knew so much about Godzilla. Big fan of the movies?
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

16. - Top - End - #76

Planetar

It's a Pseudonatural Paragon Damn Crab, of course.
    "For the Greater Good!"

Current possessions(worn): one robe and one wizard hat.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
    It's a Pseudonatural Paragon Damn Crab, of course.
    I don't think I would be able to stop laughing if that's the case.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

18. - Top - End - #78

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Ooohhh!!! Oooh! I may know! A bunch of animated stones!... OK, I've got nothing.
    so it's a rock golem?

no I thought that the board showed him to but after a while I knew it was just a board
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]" [SIZE="7"]Woo Hoo I'm invisible

WARNING DON'T PRESS THIS BUTTON
    Spoiler
    Show
    ELAN KICKS YOUR BUT AND YOU DIE AND THEN EAT YOUR CORPSE UNTIL YOU LOOK LIKE

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    If it showed a hand it would no longer be in the darkness.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also the way Xykon is looking in one panel mid could easily be the readers since he looks straight at the "camera".
    No, it DID show the hand. The hand just blended in with the darkness. Black on black doesn't show.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

Zombie

Well with that empowered sunburst, I think someone else might have just sen mitd in all his glory, considering the angles of everyone when spells went off.

I wonder who got hit with the dimensional anchor?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Could it be an epic flumph? :)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

a....cow's liver?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgeo
    So Vaarsuvius is an Epic Whatsit now. "Whatsit". I think I like that term.

Link to the Best Band Ever

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

First off...

Is the GO board, inverted and pixelated to make any dot image easier to see. It does look like some sort of monster, though the lack of a giant mouth (if the two dots are the eyes as the point of the comic suggests) is a point against that, IMO.

Second, if that is a Tarrasque, how about a half fiendish or half dragon Tarrasque? Both are creatures with the theoretical ability to breed with anything, both templates boost Int into the "talking but still an idiot" range. Both give even more strength, enabling it to sunder the ground.
    Bardic Backup of Fanclub - Because a Chaotic Evil Barbarian needs a Chaotic Evil Inspire Courage
    Bardic Backup of Fanclub - Inspire Courage and a lot of Touch Range buff spells.
    of the Batman Fanclub, old chum.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: The Go Game

Quote Originally Posted by Rasilak View Post
    Nitpick: This is correct when counting according to the japanese rules (which are far more popular), but not for the chinese rules (they count own stones + captured stones + territory). Still it's bad tactics to fill *that* much of your territory with stones - so many wasted moves.
    Of course, since Azure City looks like a ripoff from Japan, one could assume that they play by japanese rules.
    Also, apart from that big black blob, the MitD doesn't play that bad. Some of the white groups are actually dead (just look at the upper left corner), and black has a good position to secure a nice chunk of the open area - or start some serious invasions in white's territory. And it seems as if both played pretty defensive (lots of straight lines, and very little signs of captured stones).
    (To be taken with a grain of salt, I'm not a master player either.)
    First of all, occasionally it's tactically advantageous to attack inside of someone's territory, because if you place enough stones at the right places, you can prevent the opponent from making an eye, and therefore convert that territory to yours.

Secondly, Ochul here could very well have intended to teach this lesson to MitD from the beginning, and attacked within MitD's territory with this in mind, leading MitD, step-by-step, to finish with two empty spots inside for the lecture.

Thirdly, related directly to this thread's original subject: you have to say that the Giant has implied through Ochul or others that MitD has a decent Intelligence score, while sporting a low low wisdom score. This is evidenced by the MitD leaning Go extremely quickly, etc. I agree that the tarrasque is tempting to point to, but I think the Giant's plan has yet to be subverted (at least on a large scale).

Disclaimer: I'm not a great go player either, but I've played some games to the end to see some of this.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bdh5533 View Post
    my theory is MITD is a Dream Larva:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monst...htm#dreamLarva

Large Size, INT is the low stat, STR is the high stat, Worst nightmare happens if you actaully see the monster (thus why he is hidden always)

okay probably wrong but closest i've found yet :)
    Yes, but many people on the evil side such as Redcloak look at it and are not scared. And if it was a dream larva it would morph into something that would scare the viewer. Unless the view is immune to fear, it would be frightened.