Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dread SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Harmonic Lance Adept

    Battle Maiden Sheska, a harmonic lance adept

    The warriors of the harmonic lance are perfect warriors that employ little more than martial prowess and the uncanny ability to shape sound into a deadly artillery. These warriors, also known as battle maidens or lancemen, are a strange order that only allows those into their ranks if they are capable of both beautiful performance and skill in battle. Though they can be considered an 'order', they are more accurately described as a union, brought together by the fact that they have all learned the same techniques in a temple dedicated to adepts of the nine swords.

    HD: d8

    Requirements
    BAB: +4
    Skills: Craft (weaponsmithing) 8 ranks, Perform 4 ranks
    Feats: Song of the White Raven and either Combat Expertise, Power Attack or Weapon Finesse
    Maneuvers: Ability to use 2nd level maneuvers, including at least one strike and one stance
    Special: Must have spent 500gp on crafting an exemplary tool of performance and warfare(or two), known as your harmonic lance. Crafting this follows all the normal rules for crafting a weapon. Bardic music class feature.

    Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Swim, and Tumble
    Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

    {table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
    1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Harmonic lance, bardic music, inspire courage|--
    2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Armor of sound|+1 of existing bard casting
    3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Bonus feat|+1 of existing bard casting
    4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Blade of sound|--
    5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Sound lance|+1 of existing bard casting
    6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Stance of valkyrie's cry|+1 of existing bard casting
    7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Cacophony blade|--
    8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|Bonus feat|+1 of existing bard casting
    9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Resonance pulse|+1 of existing bard casting
    10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Stance of the war god's song|--
    [/table]

    {table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
    1st|1|1|0
    2nd|0|0|0
    3rd|1|0|1
    4th|0|1|0
    5th|1|0|0
    6th|0|0|0
    7th|1|1|0
    8th|0|0|1
    9th|1|0|0
    10th|0|1|0
    [/table]

    Weapon and armor proficiencies: Harmonic lance adepts are proficient with their own harmonic lance, all light and medium armors and all shields.

    Maneuvers: At every odd-numbered level, a harmonic lance adept gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart and White Raven disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full harmonic lance adept levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
    At levels 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

    Stances Known: At 3rd and 8th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or White Raven disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

    Spellcasting: At each level except 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th, you gain new spells per day, an increase in caster level and spells known as if you had also gained a level in a bardic spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

    Harmonic Lance (Ex): At first level, you have crafted your ultimate weapon. This weapon can be crafted into three different shapes, but the shape must be chosen at first level. The choices can be of a two-handed weapon, a one-handed weapon or a light weapon, and if they choose to create the latter two they may make two weapons, or one of each of the two latter. If the weapon is two-handed it deals 2d6+(1Ĺ Str modifier), if it is a one handed weapon it deals 1d8+Str modifier, and if it is light it deals 1d6+Str modifier and these damage sizes are for medium creatures. Although it is called a harmonic lance by it's order, it can take the shape of almost anything so long as it is usable as an instrument and a weapon. You are also considered to have the Somatic Weaponry feat in the case of wielding your harmonic lance.
    This weapon can be crafted from special materials, but the creator must have access to these materials, and they follow all the normal bonuses to cost as normal weapons. Like a normal weapon it can be enhanced magically, but automatically overcomes damage reduction as though it were magic.
    This weapon is also built for perfect harmonic resonance, and is a focus for supernatural martial prowess. The sound coming from it must be activated by the harmonic lance adept by performing as a free action(though a check is unnecessary), and allows the adept to use the weapon as either a bludgeoning, piercing or slashing weapon and dealing an additional 1d6 sonic damage with each successful attack. Changing weapon damage types requires a swift action.If performance is not used, it deals bludgeoning damage. These special benefits are a sonic effect.
    As a final note, all the class features of this class must be performed with the harmonic lance, and otherwise are not expended and do not function.

    Bardic Music:
    Whenever you gain a new harmonic lance adept level, you gain new daily uses of bardic music as if you had also gained a Bard level. You do not gain any of the Bardís new bardic music abilities, other than inspire courage(see below).

    Inspire Courage:
    Your bard and harmonic lance adept levels stack for determining the power of your inspire courage class feature.

    Armor of Sound (Su): At 2nd level, you gain the ability to use the resonance of your harmonic lance to sheath yourself in a deflecting suit of armor. By expending a use of bardic music as a standard action, you gain a deflection bonus to armor class equal to your Cha modifier for a number of minutes equal to your harmonic lance adept level. This bonus cannot exceed your harmonic lance adept level until 10th level, where the limit is removed. This is a sonic effect.

    Bonus Feats: At 3rd and 8th levels, you gain a bonus feat taken from the list of fighter bonus feats, or feats with bardic music as a prerequisite, for which you qualify. Your harmonic lance adept levels stack with fighter and warblade levels for determining your effective fighter level to qualify for feats.

    Blade of Sound (Su): At 4th level, the resonance of your weapon increases to deal more damage against your enemies. The extra sonic damage it does increases to 2d6 damage, and if you expend a use of bardic music, your weapon deals an extra amount of sonic damage every hit equal to half your initiator level for 1 round per harmonic lance adept level. Additionally, based on the type of damage your weapon deals, it gains a special secondary effect, listed here;
    Bludgeoning: Whenever your weapon hits a foe while dealing bludgeoning damage, it shudders their bones and flesh. They are dealt an additional amount of damage equal to half their HD(min 1).
    Piercing: Whenever your weapon hits a foe while dealing piercing damage, it thrusts strait through foes. If charging at a foe and your weapon strikes, it deals double damage.
    Slashing: Whenever your weapon hits a foe while dealing slashing damage, it cuts easily through muscle and tendons. They receive a cumulative -1 penalty to attack and damage rolls until the end of the encounter or until their hp is brought back to full.
    This is a sonic effect.

    Sound Lance (Su): At 5th level, you learn an attack that uses pure sound to rip apart your enemies. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 5th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. By taking a standard action, the harmonic lance adept can make an attack against a single foe that deals 5d6 sonic damage in addition to normal melee weapon damage, and an additional 1d6 sonic damage equal to your harmonic lance adept level. Additionally, if they take damage from this strike they must make a Fort save (DC 15+Cha modifier) or go permanently deaf and get knocked back 15 ft., going prone. If they pass the save they do not go deaf, are knocked back only 5 ft. but do not go prone. For every 5 points of sonic resistance a target has, it gains a +2 to their saving throws to this strike. If they are immune to sonic damage, they are immune to this strike. This is a sonic effect.

    Stance of the Valkyrie's Cry (Su): At 6th level, you gain the great warrior's stance of the Valkyrie's. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, any sonic effect you have access to ignores anything that might undo a sonic effect, such as a silence spell or the countersong ability of the bard. Additionally, while in this stance and after expending a use of bardic music as a free action, your weapon deals an additional amount of sonic damage equal to twice your Cha modifier, and you gain a fly speed equal to twice your base land speed and good maneuverability both for a number of rounds equal to half your harmonic lance adept level. You must be performing to use this stance, and it is a sonic effect.

    Cacophony Blade (Su):
    At 7th level, the resonance of your weapon improves ever further, doing even more damage through sonic vibrations than ever. The extra sonic damage it deals increases to 4d6, and if you expend two uses of bardic music, your weapon deals an extra amount of sonic damage every hit equal to your initiator level for 1 round per harmonic lance adept level. Additionally, based on the type of damage your weapon deals, it gains a special secondary effect, listed here;
    Bludgeoning: Your weapon grinds into the target like the maul of a god, bearing upon them the weight of a mountain. Whenever it successfully hits a target it reduces the target's base land speed by 5 ft. This speed reduction is healed at a rate of 1 hour per 5 ft. after the encounter ends.
    Piercing: Your weapon punches holes through targets as that seem far to grave to close. When your weapon hits a target and deals damage, it causes bleeding wounds that cause the target to lose 5 hit points every round until they have the original damage dealt to them by the harmonic lance healed. Multiple hits only increase the bleeding wound damage by 1.
    Slashing: Your weapon cuts cleanly and with precision, completely severing tendons in the target. Whenever your weapon hits a target and deals damage, it takes 1d3 Dex damage and once it's damage is cut in half or goes below 10(whichever is lower) it loses access to its arms. Once the Dex damage is brought back up to the minimum standard, it regains use of it's arms.
    This is a sonic effect.

    Resonance Pulse (Su): At 9th level, you gain another special maneuver that attunes to an enemy's resonance and exploits it. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 7th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. By taking a standard action, the harmonic lance adept can make a touch attack against a foe, forcing them to make a Fort save (DC 17+Cha modifier). If they fail, they take 12d6+your initiator level in sonic damage. If this maneuver kills them, their body ruptures and bursts from their body not being able to handle the terrible vibrations. This is a sonic effect.

    Stance of the War God's Song (Su): At 10th level, you learn the ultimate battle stance of the harmonic lance adepts. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, you call out in glorious battle song and imbue your harmonic lance with great power. When you attack someone with a martial maneuver, any extra damage dealt by a maneuver you use is considered sonic damage, though you may choose between the sonic damage and the normal damage dealt. Additionally, while in this stance and after expending two uses of bardic music as a free action, your weapon deals an additional amount of sonic damage equal to three times your Cha modifier, and you gain a fly speed equal to twice your base land speed with perfect maneuverability both for a number of rounds equal to your harmonic lance adept level. You must be performing to use this stance, and it is a sonic effect.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-05-12 at 07:16 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Pramxnim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Great class as usual, Krimm. Lemme have a go at critiquing it:

    I/ Requirements:
    You might wanna clarify where Battle Dancer is from, as it's not immediately obvious. Also, as the class stands, the feat seems very underpowered (I'll elaborate more in the abilities section).

    II/ Stats:
    I'd consider lowering the HD to d8, since you've already given it full BAB and 2 good saves plus maneuvers and such. Rangers and Duskblades have full BAB and 2 good saves and get only a d8, and this class' abilities seem to be on par with both of them, so I don't think it really needs a d10 HD (you already get d10s or d12s from Warblade and possibly Crusader levels anyways, although for only a few levels).

    III/ Abilities:

    Bardic Music: This here is why I think Battle Dancer as a requirement is underpowered. The class does not advance Inspire Courage, which means it's stuck at +1 to att and damage rolls => not too hot, especially for someone who wants to concentrate more on the bardic side of a build (or going into Virtuoso afterward).

    Harmonic Lance (Ex): The class' signature ability. I think you've made a typo in the description. You mentioned "slashing" twice in the damage type part. It should be "slashing, piercing or bludgeoning"

    What about casting with it? By that, I mean, you should be considered to have the Somatic Weaponry feat (which allows you to provide the somatic component to spells with your weapon in hand). I suppose you assumed that people going into this class likely only have 1 or at most 2 Bard levels, that's not necessary, but again, what about people who lean more towards the bardic side (yes, I had considered the fact that they would probbie want a different PrC, but, consider my next point)

    Spellcasting?
    Bardic spellcasting isn't that strong, though it's still spellcasting. I know it doesn't fit the fluff that well, but giving the class 1/2 casting or 6 levels of Bardic spellcasting is not overpowered. You've done that with the Eldritch Knight, and that's with it advancing WIZARD casting, which is considerably more powerful, why not do it here? (aside from fluff reasons, but that is mutable)

    Armor of Sound (Su): Very nice ability. Adds to survivability in a cool way. T-Up!

    Blade of Sound (Su):
    The ability damages are a bit overpowered. 1 Con/Str damage on each hit is very powerful. Consider the Rogue's Crippling Strike which does 2 Str damage, but only on a Sneak Attack. Though both abilities are gained at level 10, Blade of Sound is highly reliable. Consider limiting the damage to once per round, or making it so that the ability damage is dealt only on successive attacks (i.e. if 2 consecutive attacks hit, the opponent is dealt 1 Con damage)

    Sound Lance (Su):
    Good good, nothing to say here.

    Stance of the Valkyrie's Cry (Su):
    What's the maneuverability of your flight ability?

    Cacophony Blade (Su):
    Typo in the Dex damage department. You mean "Once its Dex is cut in half or goes below 10"
    Grammatical error: Its instead of It's, but that's fairly minor, since the message is carried across.

    Resonance Pulse (Su):
    No real comment here, save that the damage is only marginally improved from Sound Lance. Is the touch attack aspect that powerful?

    Stance of the War God's Song (Su):
    I think you should give the player a choice to make the extra damage Sonic, or any Sonic resistant/immune enemy is going to laugh at you (since you don't get the Stance of Valkyrie's Cry's ability to ignore such resistances and immunities). Also, typo in the extra Sonic damage and flight speed (they're both 2xCha and 2xLand Speed, same as the 6th level stance but using one more Bardic Music).



    And... that's about it. Oh, right. If you popped into the PrC Contest lately, could you give me some feedback on the Cybernetic Gunner? What do you think about it, as an expert in homebrewing Martial Adept classes?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dread SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Great class as usual, Krimm. Lemme have a go at critiquing it:

    I/ Requirements:
    You might wanna clarify where Battle Dancer is from, as it's not immediately obvious. Also, as the class stands, the feat seems very underpowered (I'll elaborate more in the abilities section).
    It shall be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    II/ Stats:
    I'd consider lowering the HD to d8, since you've already given it full BAB and 2 good saves plus maneuvers and such. Rangers and Duskblades have full BAB and 2 good saves and get only a d8, and this class' abilities seem to be on par with both of them, so I don't think it really needs a d10 HD (you already get d10s or d12s from Warblade and possibly Crusader levels anyways, although for only a few levels).
    I was considering that and waiting for someone to confirm, so that too shall be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Bardic Music: This here is why I think Battle Dancer as a requirement is underpowered. The class does not advance Inspire Courage, which means it's stuck at +1 to att and damage rolls => not too hot, especially for someone who wants to concentrate more on the bardic side of a build (or going into Virtuoso afterward).
    Not a bad idea, that. It would suit the class perfectly to continue gaining Inspire Courage in addition to their bardic music.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Harmonic Lance (Ex): The class' signature ability. I think you've made a typo in the description. You mentioned "slashing" twice in the damage type part. It should be "slashing, piercing or bludgeoning"
    Woops. Will fix immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    What about casting with it? By that, I mean, you should be considered to have the Somatic Weaponry feat (which allows you to provide the somatic component to spells with your weapon in hand). I suppose you assumed that people going into this class likely only have 1 or at most 2 Bard levels, that's not necessary, but again, what about people who lean more towards the bardic side (yes, I had considered the fact that they would probbie want a different PrC, but, consider my next point)
    Not a bad idea at all, and doesn't seem in the least overpowered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Spellcasting?
    Bardic spellcasting isn't that strong, though it's still spellcasting. I know it doesn't fit the fluff that well, but giving the class 1/2 casting or 6 levels of Bardic spellcasting is not overpowered. You've done that with the Eldritch Knight, and that's with it advancing WIZARD casting, which is considerably more powerful, why not do it here? (aside from fluff reasons, but that is mutable)
    Fluff doesn't dictate it doesn't have it, and bard casting isn't the most powerful out there. A half or 3/5th's progression couldn't hurt. I'll implement it and see if I can get a playtest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Armor of Sound (Su): Very nice ability. Adds to survivability in a cool way. T-Up!


    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Blade of Sound (Su):
    The ability damages are a bit overpowered. 1 Con/Str damage on each hit is very powerful. Consider the Rogue's Crippling Strike which does 2 Str damage, but only on a Sneak Attack. Though both abilities are gained at level 10, Blade of Sound is highly reliable. Consider limiting the damage to once per round, or making it so that the ability damage is dealt only on successive attacks (i.e. if 2 consecutive attacks hit, the opponent is dealt 1 Con damage)
    Had a bad feeling about it, too but again wasn't sure. I can find something else to replace those with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Sound Lance (Su):
    Good good, nothing to say here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Stance of the Valkyrie's Cry (Su):
    What's the maneuverability of your flight ability?
    Will clarify.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Cacophony Blade (Su):
    Typo in the Dex damage department. You mean "Once its Dex is cut in half or goes below 10"
    Grammatical error: Its instead of It's, but that's fairly minor, since the message is carried across.
    Will fix immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Resonance Pulse (Su):
    No real comment here, save that the damage is only marginally improved from Sound Lance. Is the touch attack aspect that powerful?
    I'll probably improve the damage, then. The touch attack is only there because this class feature was built entirely around the fluff I came up with it first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    Stance of the War God's Song (Su):
    I think you should give the player a choice to make the extra damage Sonic, or any Sonic resistant/immune enemy is going to laugh at you (since you don't get the Stance of Valkyrie's Cry's ability to ignore such resistances and immunities). Also, typo in the extra Sonic damage and flight speed (they're both 2xCha and 2xLand Speed, same as the 6th level stance but using one more Bardic Music).
    Yes, right. I'll alter this immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    And... that's about it. Oh, right. If you popped into the PrC Contest lately, could you give me some feedback on the Cybernetic Gunner? What do you think about it, as an expert in homebrewing Martial Adept classes?
    Oh yeah, I was going to vote for that. Thanks for the critique.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    The Tygre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Serpent's Throne
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    ... Why do you force me to bow in worship to you, Krimm?! Why must you always be awesome!?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatars by kpenguin.

    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And he said, 'Dance before us, atrocious nothing.'"
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dread SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    ... Why do you force me to bow in worship to you, Krimm?! Why must you always be awesome!?
    It's a normal reaction when witnessing indescribable phenomena that some might consider omnipotent. You know, not to sound immodest.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Just a question: is the lance damage for a medium-sized creature? In that case, you should probably state that it changes for creatures of different sizes. (Because I'm pretty sure I've seen discussions about similar stuff).
    Extended Brewer's signature

    Strange is the night where black stars rise,
    And strange moons circle through the skies,
    But stranger still is
    Lost Carcosa.


    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I want more mwa-ha-haaa and much less boo-hoo-hoo.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dread SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Just a question: is the lance damage for a medium-sized creature? In that case, you should probably state that it changes for creatures of different sizes. (Because I'm pretty sure I've seen discussions about similar stuff).
    I have done just that.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    strawberryman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rap.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Really great concept, but now I can't get the idea of some sort of Norse Thunder Valkyrie demigod with some wizard or sorcerer (or druid, perhaps) levels on top of the prereqs and Born of Three Thunders throwing around quickened lightning/sonic spells and ripping people apart with thunder out of my head. :P

    One nitpick though;

    Slashing: Whenever your weapon hits a foe while dealing slashing damage, it cuts easily through muscle and tendons. They receive a cumulative -1 penalty to attack and damage rolls until the end of the encounter.
    This is a sonic effect.
    I'd consider making it removable with a sufficient heal check (DC 10/15/some base number + current penalty) or magical healing, but that might just be me. I'd say the same for the Bludgeoning effect of Cacophony Blade, perhaps, too.

    Other than that, I love it.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2009-05-09 at 05:09 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Latest: Epic Destinies of the Bo9S [WIP]

    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!
    Spoiler
    Show

    Troll Matesprits by Shades of Gray

    My Eberron Campaign has mechas, bandits on exploding steampunk motorcycles, electric guitars, and a wolfgirl cohort/animal companion. What about you?

    BitP: Reborn≤ characters!
    RWBY RP characters!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dread SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    Really great concept, but now I can't get the idea of some sort of Norse Thunder Valkyrie demigod with some wizard or sorcerer (or druid, perhaps) levels on top of the prereqs and Born of Three Thunders throwing around quickened lightning/sonic spells and ripping people apart with thunder out of my head. :P

    One nitpick though;



    I'd consider making it removable with a sufficient heal check (DC 10/15/some base number + current penalty) or magical healing, but that might just be me. I'd say the same for the Bludgeoning effect of Cacophony Blade, perhaps, too.

    Other than that, I love it.
    I can agree with you with the healing magic, but a reasonable heal check would mean taking longer than the encounter probably would take. I'll implement the healing magic thing, though.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gorgondantess's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Not in a human colon

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Once again, an excellent PrC. I love it.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Classic Cthulhu by RTGoodman


    Critical Failures by Strawberries & Captain Happy, respectively.




    Scizor by Mr. Saturn.


  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cieyrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    An excellent class, though I do have some nitpicks of my own to make.

    Blade of Sound's extra effect w/ slashing weapons seems a little bit strict in it's removal, as full healing becomes harder to achieve at later levels, especially for those big hit dice/high Con opponents, like barbarians and fighters. Rather than making them suffer for having more hit points and making their low hit point counterparts, like rogues and rangers, easier to recover, maybe a magic healing conversion per point of attack penalty would be in order, somewhere in the 10-15 point range, I'd say.

    Does Blade of Sound/Cacophony Blade's sonic damage stack w/ the bonus sonic damage from the Stance of the Valkyrie's Cry/Stance of the War Gods' Song? I don't really see a reason they couldn't, but it could get a bit excessive, perhaps. I'm not sure if the high teens to twenties in bonus sonic damage is excessive but it's something to think about whether they should be allowed to stack or override one another.

    Cacophony Blade's Bludgeoning effect seems a bit off in not allowing magical healing to remove the penalty, much like the Hamstring feat allows. Much like how I talked about Blade of Sound's magical healing, the same magic healing minimum by increment of movement, though just a full recovery may be better, w/ differences between movement ranges of small races and high speed types, like monks and scouts, probably shouldn't be differentiated.

    The intro sentence to the Piercing side effect seems a bit grammatically incorrect. It should probably read 'Your weapon punches holes through targets as they seem far too grave to close.' There should also be something similar in magical healing or normal healing like Arterial Strike to remove the bleeding, rather than being by wound, which would probably require noting how much damage each individual attack did, which can get a bit excessive at times, especially in the chaos of combat w/ lots of attacks going around.

    The Slashing side effect seems a bit excessive, when compared to Crippling Strike, especially when you can get it off w/o restriction like Crippling Strike. Just doing 1 point of Dex damage, like the Wounding special weapon ability, is plenty of a boost. Losing the use of your arms is practically a game breaker against many opponents and seems a bit over the top, especially against opponents w/ mosr than two lost limbs. It also doesn't really translate to non-humanoid opponents. Do quadrapeds lose their front paws/hooves and thus those attacks and presumably movement, since they're essentially screwed when not having four (or more) paws? It needs more fleshing out, as it's a bit incomplete.

    My final thought is about making new or repairing/replacing damaged/destroyed harmonic lances. What are the costs of replacing a destroyed one? Are there specific feats needed to repair or make a new one? What if I want a different sized lance or just want another one in case one breaks?

    Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

    Edit: Also, I'm curious to know if this is based off of something, as it almost seems like it is.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2009-05-11 at 08:05 PM.
    Rule of Cool Contributor and Goon

    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

    My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Draken's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Southern Wildlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Bluh.

    Words fail me, so I will leave you with a bluh Kirmm, excelent job.

    I do think Song of the White Raven should be among the prerequisites. But taking that feat would be sort of a no-brainer with this class so having it as a prerequisite is pretty moot. Save for preventing non-humans from entering the class before level 6 without a source of a bonus feat.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

    Homebrewing

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dread SoCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sing Great Songs of WAR! [PrC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Blade of Sound's extra effect w/ slashing weapons seems a little bit strict in it's removal, as full healing becomes harder to achieve at later levels, especially for those big hit dice/high Con opponents, like barbarians and fighters. Rather than making them suffer for having more hit points and making their low hit point counterparts, like rogues and rangers, easier to recover, maybe a magic healing conversion per point of attack penalty would be in order, somewhere in the 10-15 point range, I'd say.
    I can alter it. I just wanted to simplify it a little.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Does Blade of Sound/Cacophony Blade's sonic damage stack w/ the bonus sonic damage from the Stance of the Valkyrie's Cry/Stance of the War Gods' Song? I don't really see a reason they couldn't, but it could get a bit excessive, perhaps. I'm not sure if the high teens to twenties in bonus sonic damage is excessive but it's something to think about whether they should be allowed to stack or override one another.
    They do stack, I'll clarify.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Cacophony Blade's Bludgeoning effect seems a bit off in not allowing magical healing to remove the penalty, much like the Hamstring feat allows. Much like how I talked about Blade of Sound's magical healing, the same magic healing minimum by increment of movement, though just a full recovery may be better, w/ differences between movement ranges of small races and high speed types, like monks and scouts, probably shouldn't be differentiated.
    I can tweak it some.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The intro sentence to the Piercing side effect seems a bit grammatically incorrect. It should probably read 'Your weapon punches holes through targets as they seem far too grave to close.' There should also be something similar in magical healing or normal healing like Arterial Strike to remove the bleeding, rather than being by wound, which would probably require noting how much damage each individual attack did, which can get a bit excessive at times, especially in the chaos of combat w/ lots of attacks going around.
    I can alter it, though sadly I'm not an english major.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The Slashing side effect seems a bit excessive, when compared to Crippling Strike, especially when you can get it off w/o restriction like Crippling Strike. Just doing 1 point of Dex damage, like the Wounding special weapon ability, is plenty of a boost. Losing the use of your arms is practically a game breaker against many opponents and seems a bit over the top, especially against opponents w/ mosr than two lost limbs. It also doesn't really translate to non-humanoid opponents. Do quadrapeds lose their front paws/hooves and thus those attacks and presumably movement, since they're essentially screwed when not having four (or more) paws? It needs more fleshing out, as it's a bit incomplete.
    I can go through it and attempt to make fixes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    My final thought is about making new or repairing/replacing damaged/destroyed harmonic lances. What are the costs of replacing a destroyed one? Are there specific feats needed to repair or make a new one? What if I want a different sized lance or just want another one in case one breaks?
    It's easy enough to figure it out without hard and fast rules. I left that part a bit more blank for the sake of any DM, say one who wants it to be difficult or easy to do. It follows all the same rules for making weapons, so large or small ones are different prices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Edit: Also, I'm curious to know if this is based off of something, as it almost seems like it is.
    Not based on much, just my interpretation of the art I randomly found on an image board.

    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Bluh.

    Words fail me, so I will leave you with a bluh Kirmm, excelent job.

    I do think Song of the White Raven should be among the prerequisites. But taking that feat would be sort of a no-brainer with this class so having it as a prerequisite is pretty moot. Save for preventing non-humans from entering the class before level 6 without a source of a bonus feat.

    Oh, yes. I had completely forgotten SotWR... I feel a bit foolish for that.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •