New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Armoured Cloak?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Armoured Cloak?

Hey there. While being ill, bored and searching through my various books, I came across the Combat Cloak Expert, and I was wondering...

Would it be all that strange to actually make a combat cloak? Would it simply be an unusual form of a shield, or would you make it something more?
    Brilliant Howler Avatar by Mephibosheth! HAIL! (I owe him a Divine Rank)&&&& Daveth

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Armoured Cloak?

There's the duelling cloak - a cloak of tough material used to tangle up the opponent's blade, weilded in the off-hand. Remember the first fight in Highlander? Fasil (the one who gets killed) used his trenchcoat to try to tangle MacLeod's sword. That's the kind of thing. It's less of a passive protection and more of a cloth shield.
    crystalkeep.com has stats for it in their equipment summary. I believe in the d20 stats it functions like a shield in some respects, and allows disarm attacks. It may need a feat to use.

For an ordinary cloak to be armoured... Well, you could have a mithral chain cloak (which I'd stat just the same as a a chain shirt, for convenience).
    In my humble experience, a leather cloak would work as a form of armour if it were tough enough. I'd stat that less like leather armour, more like a small shield - it's sort of about getting in the way of attacks and misdirection, with minimal toughness and resistance.

Hope that helps.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I have this vague memory of a book.... One of the secondary characters in it was a 'cloak fighter'. The cloak had significant weights along the hem, and blades hidden away in it, as well as a garrot in the collar, all hidden away so that you couldn't tell it wasn't a normal cloak.... Blast it, I can't remember the book. That vague memory has the character leaping up and beating the begeezus out a post while practicing.

Anyone? Am I hallucinating this book? :)
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I know that the feather cloak appears in Sandstorm as a form of armor (granting something around +2 armor bonus to AC). I think that Races of Stone may have some sort of gnomish cloak/armor thing. At least, I think that it does...

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Altair Himself
    Remember the first fight in Highlander? Fasil (the one who gets killed) used his trenchcoat to try to tangle MacLeod's sword. That's the kind of thing.
    I got thinking about Bullseye in Daredevil. When fighting in the church, Bullseye uses his trenchcoat in a manner a bit closer to how it's handled in the Cloak Dance feat.

Yeah, combat cloaks are cool. I'm pretty sure an issue of Dragon had rules for duelling cloaks.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.