New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Gender and how society treats you

Would you feel society treats men/boys different from women/girls? I'm not just talking about sexism, but also about people's general view towards individuals of certain gender.

I have to do a school paper on something like this and I would just like some introductory views of different people on this before I start doing my research.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Gender and how society treats you

I think it would be entirely naive to think that gender discrimination, both malevolent and benevolent, of some kind affects all forms of interpersonal relationships. Considering the huge amount of factors that influence our perceptions of other people to a greater and lesser degree - personality, intellect, social class and grouping, ethnicity (which is not to say everyone is racist, but just like we tend to pick up generalised perceptions of social groups, we tend to do the same with ethnic groups. Everyone I meet assumes I can hold huge amounts of drink purely due to my Irish ethnicity)... even completely superfluous details like where we met them - I think it's impossible to honestly claim that anyone treats men and women truly equally.

I certainly don't, being a complete sexist, a male chauvinistic pig of the highest order... that's right, I hold doors open for women, carry their bags for them and even stand between them and the road when walking down the street.
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-05-23 at 04:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:
    Aldon Moorcastle (Adventurer Education)
    Edwick the Magnificent (Heroes & Villains)
    My Homebrew: Surikats (Race)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

This is definitely true, but it's hard to think of examples that aren't arguable. Men are definitely expected to be less emotional, but are expected to be more open about their personal lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    This is definitely true, but it's hard to think of examples that aren't arguable. Men are definitely expected to be less emotional, but are expected to be more open about their personal lives.
    I think the reason that examples are arguable is because your prejudices regarding gender vary from society to society, culture to culture and person to person.

Although... I've just had me an idea...

A Man Is Not A Virgin
    All Guys Want Cheerleaders
    Men Have No Self Control When Attractive Women Walk By
    Men Are Uncultured

Women Are Monogamous
    All Girls Want Bad Boys
    Last edited by DamnedIrishman; 2009-05-23 at 04:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar, with thanks to the wondrous Ink. Steampunk avatar by the talented KingGolem. xkcd avatar by the fantabulous happyturtle

Current Characters:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Gender, or sex?

Because most people don't even care about the gender of the people they are interacting with, or whether they even have one. All they see is a human with a penis or a vagina (and boobs, don't forget boobs).
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    (and boobs, don't forget boobs).
    Hah, like we could ever forget them...

Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Isn't it obvious that your gender matters in society?
    Treating everyone the same is both impossible and inadvisable. Circumstances such as whether the individual you're speaking to is a possible mate affect how you treat them.
    A person is very influenced (maybe even defined) by their upbringing and that upbringing does not treat the two sexes the same.
    It's likely that even the small things (such as PMS) can have a difference in how you percieve and react to things.

Hmm...
    From an evolutionary perspective is it possible that men and women have evolved to have slightly different brains? Niether superior to the other but better at different things.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Hmm...
    From an evolutionary perspective is it possible that men and women have evolved to have slightly different brains? Niether superior to the other but better at different things.
    Not only is it possible, I'm pretty sure it has happened. I seem to recall reading something about females having more grey matter than males, who have more white matter, or vice versa.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I think "Does gender affect how people treat you?" is a trivial yes. There are plenty more interesting questions related to this issue along the lines of "Why does gender affect how people treat you?" or "To what extent, if any, can these differences be justifed by the physiological differences between men and women?"
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    I think "Does gender affect how people treat you?" is a trivial yes. There are plenty more interesting questions related to this issue along the lines of "Why does gender affect how people treat you?" or "To what extent, if any, can these differences be justifed by the physiological differences between men and women?"
    Or even: Which differences need to be justifed and which are harmless?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    Or even, how has it affected you?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #12

Hmm...
    Studies regarding the subject are innumerable. The general consensus is that, quite frankly, men's and women's brains are different.

An interesting fact, actually - did you know that women, on average, have a wider field of vision than men? Men actually have slight tunnel vision.
    Which allegedly is why men turn their heads and look at passing women, then get slapped by their partner. Whereas women do exactly the same thing but, not having to turn their heads to see the same amount, don't get caught.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

MonkGuy

I still tend to place men/women in certain gender roles. I see a girl acting flamboyant, I think nothing of it. I see a man do it, probably gay.

Also, I had an idea for a thread kind of like this awhile back. I don't mean to side track this one, but what if gender traits were undetectable. Both men and women had the same facial and body structures. Genitals would be different and how they are now for men and women, but nothing else about them could be used to distinguish gender. Basically, an entire planet of V's. How do you think relationships would change? Trying ask someone out, hanging out with "the guys" and not knowing there's a chick amongst you (or vice versa).

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    Also, I had an idea for a thread kind of like this awhile back. I don't mean to side track this one, but what if gender traits were undetectable. Both men and women had the same facial and body structures. Genitals would be different and how they are now for men and women, but nothing else about them could be used to distinguish gender. Basically, an entire planet of V's. How do you think relationships would change? Trying ask someone out, hanging out with "the guys" and not knowing there's a chick amongst you (or vice versa).
    I think that people would probably dress deliberately to denote gender.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DamnedIrishman View Post
    Not necessarily; People dress in what they're comfortable in. Sometimes that isn't the norm for their gender. There was once a time when women only wore dresses and men had short hair. That's not the case any more.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Correction: They dress like their gender when on the lookout for a possible mate. With humans this is likely to be almost always.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I think it's blatantly obvious that men and women are treated differently, and women often get the shaft.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Would you feel society treats men/boys different from women/girls? I'm not just talking about sexism, but also about people's general view towards individuals of certain gender.
    Men and women are treated distinctly differently in a lot of ways, and not so differently in others. This starts happening even before you're born. Just take a look in a toy store and see the vast difference between the kinds of toys boys are expected to play with and the kinds of toys that girls are expected to play with.

Princess fever reigns for girls and What's wrong with Cinderella? are both pretty good articles.

As for all the talk about differences between men's and women's brains, chances are that, like most differences between the sexes, there are more differences within one group than there are differences between groups.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amesoeurs View Post
    I think it's blatantly obvious that men and women are treated differently, and women often get the shaft.
    Am I he only one that thought double entendre?

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Amesoeurs View Post
    That's true. I hate to admit it, but I only ever give the shaft to women and never to men.

Am I he only one that thought double entendre?
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Men and women are treated very differently. Although men and women officially have equal rights in this country, I find that it’s not true socially. On of the things I find as a guy is the annoying issue of “not being allowed to touch a girl”. I can literally pat a girl on the shoulder and all of a sudden I’m a freaking rapist. The other thing that annoys me a little, though I don’t pay much attention to is the “boys can’t hit girls” thing. I’m sorry but if a girl hits me I’m just as likely to hit them back as if it was a boy. I honestly thought this was just a stupid school playground thing, but it appears that it isn’t.
    Another thing that applies to both women and men is that they are both expected to act, dress behave and contribute to society in certain ways, and if a man or women does what the other is expected to do then there’s something wrong with them.
    I try not to pay to much attention to any of these things, and I know all these thing seem pretty pathetic- but it doesn’t matter what people (including myself ) say , everyone cares about what others of them to a certain degree and it’s something that can be pretty difficult to get over.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, depending upon where one goes in life, it can be quite disturbing to have someone either directly say or at least imply that due to one being a young man, one is little more than a genetic syringe and liable to commit rape at the drop of a hat to boot.

Suffice to say, whatever women get in this life, they're not likely to be called out for being or wanting to be rapists due to their genitals.

I find such behavior to be rather rude, myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #23

I get funny looks if I take my little sister to the park.

That is what is wrong with society.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    As for all the talk about differences between men's and women's brains, chances are that, like most differences between the sexes, there are more differences within one group than there are differences between groups.
    We're a planet of 6 billion. I would be very surprised if this were not the case.

I get funny looks if I take my little sister to the park.
    That is what is wrong with society.
    Yeah... Our screwed up world.

Now here's a difficult question: Who has the better deal? Men or women? Or are both sexes being screwed by eachother?

25. - Top - End - #25

Now here's a difficult question: Who has the better deal? Men or women? Or are both sexes being screwed by eachother?
    That depends what you want from life.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Characters:

26. - Top - End - #26

Not having taken any time to think this post out, my knee jerk response is blind, homicidal rage. I've been raised by females, most of my closest friends growing up were female, and I LIKE doing activities that females stereotypically do together (sans going to the restroom, usually. I mean, there WAS the one time they pulled me into the ladies' room to put make-up on me, but that's a story for another time). That being the case, I OBVIOUSLY have to be either flaming gay (an accusation that got me thrown out of the private school I grew up in) or there is something equally as "wrong" with me. Such a view killed my self-esteem as a kid and, to this very day, usually leaves me alienated from my male peers. Gender "roles", or rather the default view thereof, are always (if only a small one) part of how people view each other. It's just the nature of the beast, and will only change in time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    The other thing that annoys me a little, though I don’t pay much attention to is the “boys can’t hit girls” thing. I’m sorry but if a girl hits me I’m just as likely to hit them back as if it was a boy. I honestly thought this was just a stupid school playground thing, but it appears that it isn’t.
    I hate this too. If women want equal rights and such, they can damn well take a punch. It's not that hard.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

28. - Top - End - #28

^I still have trouble with this one. I see the reason behind the stance, but I still can't do more than play strike females.
    Spoiler
    Show

Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian_Emrys View Post
    ^I still have trouble with this one. I see the reason behind the stance, but I still can't do more than play strike females.
    Well, I would typically only play strike females too, but if they anger me enough that I want to hit them, I'm not going to give the sudden protection.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

30. - Top - End - #30

I suppose I HAVE worked around the issue though. My fighting style has always been, especially since I got into martial arts, more along the lines of grappling and other such debilitating methods that are NOT striking. Male, female, they all tap out the same in a wrist lock. I just have a damnable hard time causing females pain of any sort unless it's a matter of life or death.
    Spoiler
    Show