New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Summer Updates

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Summer Updates

For those of you who don't know, the first of the summer updates was just posted. So... should there be individual threads for each one, or should we just use this thread for all of them?

Anyway, the new tower is Victorian architecture, right?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Summer Updates

Think we should see how they go, basically. If theyre all 1-page klogs then maybe 1 thread per 4 or 5. If any are more bulky then they may be worthy of their own threads.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Or maybe people should join the erfworld forums and use those threads.

Crazy, right?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Frogpop View Post
    Or maybe people should join the erfworld forums and use those threads.

Crazy, right?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #6

Yeah, look carefully at who made the second post.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, I get it. I think it was great that you gave the Playground a heads up about the first summer update just in case they aren't already checking the erfworld site regularly, but I don't see the point in encouraging a continued split in the discussions between here and there. Everyone has to go there to get the summer updates anyway!

Can't we all just get along!? ..or, even if we can't, can't we all not get along on the same forum?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Frogpop View Post
    Yeah, I get it. I think it was great that you gave the Playground a heads up about the first summer update just in case they aren't already checking the erfworld site regularly, but I don't see the point in encouraging a continued split in the discussions between here and there. Everyone has to go there to get the summer updates anyway!

Can't we all just get along!? ..or, even if we can't, can't we all not get along on the same forum?
    Well, it's not like everyone is going to go over to the new forums, and there is already an Erfworld forum here.

9. - Top - End - #9

But it's time to close up shop here. Why discuss something here that isn't included in the site?

Go to erfworld.com! There's nothing more to see here! Move along, move along...

10. - Top - End - #10

Just because Erfworld has it's own forum doesn't mean that we shouldn't say anything about it on this forum. If comics like Goblins, Girl Genius and Domonic Deagen can have their own threads in the "webcomic" forum there is no reason to not post some things in the "Erfworld" forum. Besides, OOTS will always have way more viewers then Erfworld. Or will for quite awhile anyway.

There are still new people coming here that might not know about Erfworld and whatever else.

On to the update. When I first saw the city wrecked, I assumed that it would take awhile to make it what it was. This update says that as long as the city is not destroyed it can be rebuilt instantly. So I guess it works like healing does.

The question then becomes, is money the only thing you need to build a city?

I can't believe this would be so. Gobwin Knob is supposedly one of the strongest cities in Erfworld. Did hat happen just because money was put down and poof? No population requirements needed. It seems absurd that a city that is almost empty could come back just like that.Even units take time to pop. Now I know that Wanda has uncroaked a LOT of units but still, I get the idea that populaton just doesn't matter in this instance. Also, how does a city go from level 1 to level 2 when it's or the first time? Is it just money? Are there limits as to where you can build?

I suppose land hexes have natural modifiers. So a volcano would have a plus one or two to defence while having a negative one to feeding. Oh, like in Civilization. That's how I imagined it. With the population requirements and what not. We would need settlers first probably. Of course that's probably wrong.

There doesn't seem to be any non-combatants in this world...
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2009-06-05 at 03:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Well, unfortunately, the new Erfworld forums won't send me a confirmation email, and so I cannot actually finish the registration process there. As a result, I will have to continue posting here until such time as I found a method of contacting a board admin without being able to access their email addresses by virtue of not being a member. Fortunately, I cheat, and sent PClips a PM, and hopefully we can figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. If you have a hotmail email address the forum at the new site won't recognise it for some reason. Either try again with a different email, or do as you have and contact an administrator.

I would think that cities are influenced primarily by money and geographical position. Perhaps population would be a factor... but the only people that seem to exist are either casters, leaders or armed forces, meaning that a primarily peaceful state wouldn't be able to get better cities unless it built up a larger standing army, which makes me think that population doesn't mean much.

13. - Top - End - #13

Wait, are they replacing the comics with blocks of text

14. - Top - End - #14
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

They're using this format for a series of short pieces over the summer, bridging the gap between the end of Book 1 (just concluded) and Book 2 (starting in the fall).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    They're using this format for a series of short pieces over the summer, bridging the gap between the end of Book 1 (just concluded) and Book 2 (starting in the fall).
    Yea, consider them similar to the Klog entries, with more text and less Hamstard.

Although the preview picture of the throne room was very, very nifty.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

His head was making that buzzing noise he hated. Still, he needed to be in control. Get control now.

"Well good!" he said confidently. "Did you, uh...get them to do any good tricks yet?"

Wanda's smile kind of went limp and her eyes widened. She stood and looked slowly in all directions, at the thousands of powerful troops and heavy units assembled all around them.

"They made an army, Lord."

"Huh," said Stanley. He shifted his gaze back and forth over the crowd of soldiers and war beasts. "Yeah. That's a good one."
    Priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #17

Chimera

Reading through the archives and comparing the old art to the new, everyone has gotten taller (with the exception of Parson - or maybe he's gotten smaller). Everyone used to have giant heads and tiny bodies, but they are definitely more proportioned in human ways now. Is this an effect of the game? Is Parson becoming more like them? Is this what happens when you break the rules?

18. - Top - End - #18

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Krytha View Post
    Reading through the archives and comparing the old art to the new, everyone has gotten taller (with the exception of Parson - or maybe he's gotten smaller). Everyone used to have giant heads and tiny bodies, but they are definitely more proportioned in human ways now. Is this an effect of the game? Is Parson becoming more like them? Is this what happens when you break the rules?
    I think it's more of an artistic change related to the fact that the plot started to get serious.
    At the beginning it was all fun and games (quite literally), until things started to "boop hardball".

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krytha View Post
    Look at any long-running strip and compare early work to late. Artists grow change, and their style evolves. I doubt there's anything more to it than that.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post

I can't believe this would be so. Gobwin Knob is supposedly one of the strongest cities in Erfworld. Did hat happen just because money was put down and poof? No population requirements needed. It seems absurd that a city that is almost empty could come back just like that.Even units take time to pop. Now I know that Wanda has uncroaked a LOT of units but still, I get the idea that populaton just doesn't matter in this instance. Also, how does a city go from level 1 to level 2 when it's or the first time? Is it just money? Are there limits as to where you can build?
    i guess cities can only level to level five, or get extremely expensive afterwards (maybe some other prerequisites). so gobwin knob is one of the strongest defensive positions in the world because it's defense equals a level eight city because of the natural defenses of its surroundings
    You want some advice? No matter where you go in life, always keep an eye out for Johnny the Tackling Alzheimer’s Patient.

thanks to XenoTherapy for my avatar!