New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Characters Aspect

Looking at Wanda in page 2, comparing with Wanda in page 160, I reach to the conclusion that it changed from an "infantile" aspect to a more adult one.

I ask myself:
    * Does this reflect unintentional changes in the POV of the authors?
    * Was this intentional, trying to reflect a possible change in the reader's way to look at the comic as the story advances?

PS: It does not only affect Wanda. For example Prince Ansom, page 7 and page 158.
    Last edited by MoredanKantose; 2009-05-25 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Not only Wanda.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Characters Aspect

I think they just got sick of bobbleheads.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdude View Post
    I think they just got sick of bobbleheads.
    Yes, that's what I think, too. The comic's style simply gradually changed into more proportional. It might be intentional, but I don't think so.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Yes, that's what I think, too. The comic's style simply gradually changed into more proportional. It might be intentional, but I don't think so.
    Nope, I think it was representational of Parson's initial unwillingness to accept the reality of Erfworld. In the beginning, it was a delusion, an hallucination, a delusion. It was obviously some kind of wish fulfillment fantasy, from his perspective. But that perspective, and reality itself, changed as he grew to accept it as a valid reality, and thus reality itself changed. Which raises some very interesting existential questions . . .
    The Truth Will Set You Free. But First, It Will Piss You Off.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

I think a lot of it is just natural evolution of the art from lost of practice. The skill for the figures looks much more advanced in the more recent comics. Not so much the backgrounds though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

wink Re: Characters Aspect

I personally think (or at least hope) that it's more of a tone thing than an evolution. I liked the big headed look, and hope it comes back for lighthearted scenes in the future.
    Click the spoiler tag for a link to my forums!
    Spoiler
    Show

Please visit my forums! We've got a great community and a lot of excellent free form RPing!

Thanks to DrKarling for the awesome avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A change in style in a comic over a long period of time is not unusual. If you read Ah My Goddess, Maison Ikkoku and other long series, compare the style in the first volume with the style in the later volumes.

Bear in mind that Erfworld has been drawn in the same sort of time frame - we have had a single comic appear in the same period of time that it took several volumes of AMG to appear.

But, as has already been said, you can equally attribute the shift in style to Parson's changing perception of Erfworld. The arguement against that is that we saw Erfworld long before Parson did.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee