New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

On Keveak saying all science fiction takes place in the future:
    Time travel usually takes place "now," and might only take place in the past. i.e. Back to the Future.

Also, Jurassic Park takes place in what was "now," way back in 1993. (If I'm not mistaken...)
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    High Fantasy Science Fiction

Done.
    That's like saying Giant Dwarf.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well until we decide on something, we're using the default genre of Magical Girl Shoujo Web-Manga.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    You guys seem dead set on fitting it into either science fiction or fantasy. Why? It can certainly be both or a mixture of the two, as Nameless said.
    I don't actually care about it I just want it to be right (example: Eragon is fantasy but I don't care because the story is fine anyway, then someone say it's scifi and then I care about it not being right but still not think it having a genre matter)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    You guys seem dead set on fitting it into either science fiction or fantasy. Why? It can certainly be both or a mixture of the two, as Nameless said.
    Why?Because MM and Keris said it was Fantasy without any elements of Sci-Fi and don't want to admit they were wrong.

Just kidding!
    Probably because we are so BORED waiting for more plot-comics.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    That's like saying Giant Dwarf.
    I would draw that but I'm too lazy.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to call this genre Chellu'chlid because I refuse to make it identifiable.

8. - Top - End - #278

That's just what the magical girls want you to think, DB. It's part of their sinister plot.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Colossus in the Playground

Let me settle this once and for all. Just because it has magic doesn't completely alter the setting. Don't some people consider Shadowrun Sci-fi?

The way I see it, the general setting is based on technology and culture.
    P3, definitely scifi. Just because it had magic in it didn't make it not sci fi.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    On Keveak saying all science fiction takes place in the future:
    Time travel usually takes place "now," and might only take place in the past. i.e. Back to the Future.

Also, Jurassic Park takes place in what was "now," way back in 1993. (If I'm not mistaken...)
    For once Back to the future is in the future of Marty Mcfly (and start in the future of the time it was made thus everything that happens is a future event of that time) no matter how far back he travels in time it's still HIS future (else it would be pretty paradoxical)

You also seems to miss that when Jurassic park is made THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE IT and then (since it doesn't happen in the past) it must be in the future (how long has nothing to do with it, it could be happening a nanosecond later it's still future)

EDIT:

@Rand: yes it does, scifi has to be possible giving the knowledge of the time an example is War of the worlds where the aliens make people into blood (that's what people thought your stomach did to food) which wouldn't be scifi if wroten now (we know tey where wrong)
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-05-30 at 11:04 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    That's just what the magical girls want you to think, DB. It's part of their sinister plot.
    I'a Magical Girls.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Ask your English teacher or something, I've only heard them mentioned once (it's part of basic danish education to know the genres and what they generally are not why) but I know that they are part of some official rules for literature (I believe it's for stuff like "the years best Scifi book" awards so you are sure it qualifies for it, or maybe it's just how governments are) whether or not we need to use them is up to us, they only matter if we want to have it official (we could call it scifi but they might say fantasy).
    I don't have an English teacher, as I don't take English. But when I was taking English there was no mention of "Genre Rules", and at times we discussed what genre particular works of literature fit into.

There are no "rules" as to what defines a genre, just general consensus. If a fantasy novel was nominated for a Sci Fi award, it just wouldn't win, would it?

Why?Because MM and Keris said it was Fantasy without any elements of Sci-Fi and don't want to admit they were wrong.
    Ah, screw you. I said it wasn't Science Fiction. ABR isn't even soft sci-fi (which is defined as not being hard sci-fi), it's Fantasy with Sci-Fi elements. It's definitely Speculative Fiction, and P3 at least is Science Fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    Let me settle this once and for all. Just because it has magic doesn't completely alter the setting. Don't some people consider Shadowrun Sci-fi?
    Yeah, but "some people" are generally ignorant. Shadowrun is cyberpunk/urban fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    The way I see it, the general setting is based on technology and culture.
    P3, definitely scifi. Just because it had magic in it didn't make it not sci fi.
    Having magic makes it fantasy. Having advanced technology that resembles magic is Sci-Fi, but sword and sorcery style magic is fantasy.

For once Back to the future is in the future of Marty Mcfly (and start in the future of the time it was made thus everything that happens is a future event of that time) no matter how far back he travels in time it's still HIS future (else it would be pretty paradoxical)
    By that definition, every work of fiction is set in the future, and so using the time of setting to define genre is redundant.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

As said by Edward Roivas in the opening of Eternal Darkness "Believe it or not as you will, you perceptions will not change reality... merely colour it." And at this point I don't really know if I'm aiming that at anybody, or just everybody in general.

I should write some horror. I've been told I have a knack for it.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

You also seems to miss that when Jurassic park is made THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE IT and then (since it doesn't happen in the past) it must be in the future (how long has nothing to do with it, it could be happening a nanosecond later it's still future)
    )
    One, He starts in the present, goes to the past, and comes back. It takes place "now."

As for Jurassic park, it still took place in the present.

Also, time progresses in most books, movies, whatever, so technically all books could theoretically take place in the future.

I won't even get into the subject of alternate histories...(Not exactly sci-fi, but yeah.)

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    As said by Edward Roivas in the opening of Eternal Darkness "Believe it or not as you will, you perceptions will not change reality... merely colour it." And at this point I don't really know if I'm aiming that at anybody, or just everybody in general.

I should write some horror. I've been told I have a knack for it.
    Lovecraftian Magical Girl horror?

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    Ah, screw you. I said it wasn't Science Fiction. ABR isn't even soft sci-fi (which is defined as not being hard sci-fi), it's Fantasy with Sci-Fi elements. It's definitely Speculative Fiction, and P3 at least is Science Fantasy.
    Just kidding!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Lovecraftian Magical Girl horror?
    I'm having a hard time making the image of a woman in glittery clothing turning her face towards you and sparkling sound horrifying.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    I don't have an English teacher, as I don't take English. But when I was taking English there was no mention of "Genre Rules", and at times we discussed what genre particular works of literature fit into.

There are no "rules" as to what defines a genre, just general consensus. If a fantasy novel was nominated for a Sci Fi award, it just wouldn't win, would it?

By that definition, every work of fiction is set in the future, and so using the time of setting to define genre is redundant.
    There are rules, everyone make them (including Tvtropes as we've seen) I just mentioned that there are official accepted rules (not important to us but is to those award people and probably also has other uses I can't really think of now) We don't need t follow them though (which makes it more confusing) and I agree that the idea is weird, but my Danish teacher told us about them (it weren't required though there had just been something with a book those rule guys couldn't place and our teacher heard about it and mentioned it, then told us some more about it) so I believe there's something right about their existance.

And no, not every work in fiction is, robinhood stories is set several hundreds of years ago (wether it's real or not aint really important) and most fantasy is set in different worlds than ours (so it doesn't matter when because unless our world is in the story it aint comparable)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #289

I'm having a hard time making the image of a woman in glittery clothing turning her face towards you and sparkling sound horrifying.
    You'll find a way.

Tentacle Heart Blaster!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

You'll find a way.

Tentacle Heart Blaster!
    ...she chimes while grinning demonically and then procceeds to giggle a hollow, soulless giggle? (Hey, I thought it up in less then a few minutes and it's not even intended to be read as a narrative.)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

There are rules, everyone make them (including Tvtropes as we've seen) I just mentioned that there are official accepted rules (not important to us but is to those award people and probably also has other uses I can't really think of now) We don't need t follow them though (which makes it more confusing) and I agree that the idea is weird, but my Danish teacher told us about them (it weren't required though there had just been something with a book those rule guys couldn't place and our teacher heard about it and mentioned it, then told us some more about it) so I believe there's something right about their existance.
    There are personal guidelines, the most common of which are written down in places like TVtropes. There are no hard and fast rules. I seriously doubt the existence of "rule guys" who define the genre of each work of fiction.
    And no, not every work in fiction is, robinhood stories is set several hundreds of years ago (wether it's real or not aint really important) and most fantasy is set in different worlds than ours (so it doesn't matter when because unless our world is in the story it aint comparable)
    But it was set in the future of Robin, wasn't it? From your example, all fiction is set in the future of the characters.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    One, He starts in the present, goes to the past, and comes back. It takes place "now."

As for Jurassic park, it still took place in the present.

Also, time progresses in most books, movies, whatever, so technically all books could theoretically take place in the future.

I won't even get into the subject of alternate histories...(Not exactly sci-fi, but yeah.)
    It can't happen in the exact same nanosecond (the book might be writen in the same year or even day but not that close) none of those thing could (then it would start a the same exact second as the book is made, oh wait it would still happen after that point anyway as soon as any amount of time has passed) In back to the future he does travel back in time but it happens in the future (if it hadn't then he would have time traveled before the movie was made which would make it aternative history) back to the "now" thing; the present (aka when the work of fiction was made) doesn't change so it has to move past it, right

EDIT:

@Keris: Doubt the rules if you want I just said what I've been told. And Robin exists in the past so it's still in the past unless he live longenough to go past the present whereas Marty starts in the future (there goes several hours) whether or not he get's to the past is irrelevant since it technically happenbs past the present (the time travel starts in the future so it's a future event)
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-05-30 at 11:28 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

23. - Top - End - #293

...she chimes while grinning demonically and then procceeds to giggle a hollow, soulless giggle? (Hey, I thought it up in less then a few minutes and it's not even intended to be read as a narrative.)
    There you go! Just toss in some creepy insane musings about friendship and your golden!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not alternate history if it is happening "now."
    Just because there is "advanced technology" doesn't mean it can't happen in the present.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Banned

Da-da-da-daaa! Mediator Gremlin to the rescue!
    The way I see it, this can be solved fairly easily, if people agree with me. Avbaroy has many futuristic weapons, and it has space (ship) whales, and robot aliens. As such, this would give it the label 'Sci-Fi'. However, it also has magic, and dragons. I would like to point out, though, that we often give 'physics' to the magic and stuff, thanks to MM. Not that this makes much difference, but all the same. Given that it has advanced weapons, and advanced technology in general, I call it steampunk. Steampunk isn't pure Sci-Fi, but rather a label for advanced technology. Or is it spacepunk? *shrug*
    Anyways, steampunk/spacepunk fantasy seems about right.
    Also, Keveak, clearly you are misinformed. There's a book, can't remember the title, in which a bunch of kids from our time stop an alien invasion (with help, of course). There are fantasy creatures, incidentally, but if there had not been, it would be Sci-Fi. Even though it happens in present-day time. Nanoseconds make no difference. It has to be a substantial difference to be 'the future'.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    The way I see it, this can be solved fairly easily=
    Exactly.

Magical Girl ABR.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

The way I see it, this can be solved fairly easily, if people agree with me. Avbaroy has many futuristic weapons, and it has space (ship) whales, and robot aliens. As such, this would give it the label 'Sci-Fi'. However, it also has magic, and dragons. I would like to point out, though, that we often give 'physics' to the magic and stuff, thanks to MM. Not that this makes much difference, but all the same. Given that it has advanced weapons, and advanced technology in general, I call it steampunk. Steampunk isn't pure Sci-Fi, but rather a label for advanced technology. Or is it spacepunk? *shrug*
    Also, Keveak, clearly you are misinformed. There's a book, can't remember the title, in which a bunch of kids from our time stop an alien invasion (with help, of course). There are fantasy creatures, incidentally, but if there had not been, it would be Sci-Fi. Even though it happens in present-day time. Nanoseconds make no difference. It has to be a substantial difference to be 'the future'.
    Steampunk is actually a pseudo-Victorian setting with lots of brass, steam engines and Zeppelins. In my opinion, we can call all of the Avbaroy plots Schizotech Fantasy.

And it is Lying who invented Magic Physics.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-05-30 at 11:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298

Er...that's not what steampunk is. Steampunk is a genre where steam power is widely used and there are lots of shiny, advanced Victorian gadgets that run on steam. It can be a sort of alternate history, and often takes place in Victorian England.

EDIT: Curses! Ninja'd by MM!
    Last edited by SinisterPenguin; 2009-05-30 at 11:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Steampunk is actually a pseudo-Victorian setting with lots of brass, steam engines and Zeppelins. In my opinion, we can call all of the Avbaroy plots Schizotech Fantasy.

And it is Lying who invented Magic Physics.
    And clockworks!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

The way I see it, this can be solved fairly easily, if people agree with me.
    It can be solved pretty easily if people agree with me too.
    Avbaroy has many futuristic weapons, and it has space (ship) whales, and robot aliens. As such, this would give it the label 'Sci-Fi'.
    No. This gives it the label "Science Fantasy".
    However, it also has magic, and dragons. I would like to point out, though, that we often give 'physics' to the magic and stuff, thanks to MM. Not that this makes much difference, but all the same. Given that it has advanced weapons, and advanced technology in general, I call it steampunk.
    You clearly have no idea what steampunk is. Steampunk is Spec-Fic or Fantasy set in worlds with widely used steam power, and often includes more advanced technology than common in that setting, but powered by steam or similar.

Except for the fact that ABR is neither steampunk nor spacepunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    And clockworks!
    EDIT: Technically, that would be clockpunk.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-05-30 at 11:43 AM.