New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Except for the fact that ABR is neither steampunk nor spacepunk
    Or Punk for that matter.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Da-da-da-daaa! Mediator Gremlin to the rescue!
    The way I see it, this can be solved fairly easily, if people agree with me. Avbaroy has many futuristic weapons, and it has space (ship) whales, and robot aliens. As such, this would give it the label 'Sci-Fi'. However, it also has magic, and dragons. I would like to point out, though, that we often give 'physics' to the magic and stuff, thanks to MM. Not that this makes much difference, but all the same. Given that it has advanced weapons, and advanced technology in general, I call it steampunk. Steampunk isn't pure Sci-Fi, but rather a label for advanced technology. Or is it spacepunk? *shrug*
    Anyways, steampunk/spacepunk fantasy seems about right.
    Also, Keveak, clearly you are misinformed. There's a book, can't remember the title, in which a bunch of kids from our time stop an alien invasion (with help, of course). There are fantasy creatures, incidentally, but if there had not been, it would be Sci-Fi. Even though it happens in present-day time. Nanoseconds make no difference. It has to be a substantial difference to be 'the future'.
    One of the main requirements for steampunk is that everything happens on earth. So no space travels, no space ships....it aplies for cyberpunk too...
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2009-05-30 at 11:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Or Punk for that matter.
    Y'all have been PUNK'ED!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see why we need different genres for fantasy with different technology levels. Some happen in Roman-like types, some in Dark Ages-like times, and other in Futuristic-like times.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    It's not alternate history if it is happening "now."
    Just because there is "advanced technology" doesn't mean it can't happen in the present.
    To continue what I mean, say there is an alien invasion. It could technically be happening in the present, but by the "rules" keveak mentioned, it would not be sci-fi.

I will stop talking now.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

6. - Top - End - #306

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    I don't see why we need different genres for fantasy with different technology levels. Some happen in Roman-like types, some in Dark Ages-like times, and other in Futuristic-like times.
    We don't. Some sub-genres relate to the kind of technology though. You could have steampunk in the Medieval times (that would be cool) although steampunk is usually associated with Victorian times.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

How about everyone just agrees with what they personally believe is the right genre and we stop arguing for pages on end what is, between us all, the right answer?

ABR's genre: It has one.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    To continue what I mean, say there is an alien invasion. It could technically be happening in the present, but by the "rules" keveak mentioned, it would not be sci-fi.

I will stop talking now.
    By what I know of the word present then it could be set in the present days (which means it aint too far from the actual time) but not in the actual present even that word was writen in the past (not long into the past but still in the past) I don't say that stuff can't happen at about the same time as the book/movie is made just that it has to be at least a little into the past or future (It would be fun to write a story that starts two minutes ago but makes a time skip after one minute to 2012 just to see what genre people think that is) maybe you use another version of the word "present" than me? care to explain what it cover? The one I use is that present is in the exact moment as it happens (if you stopped time then it would remain present but otherwise it would continue into the future which then becomes present as it happen, then it becomes past when over) not exact minute or anything like that.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Y'all have been PUNK'ED!

Which one?
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-05-30 at 12:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    How about everyone just agrees with what they personally believe is the right genre and we stop arguing for pages on end what is, between us all, the right answer?

Why not say it's a mix (new gennres get's mixed all the time, I'm starting to think that it's pointless since you can just call everything a new genre or sub-genre) then it doesn't need to follow every rule that someone somewhere (like that guy who think Robin Hood is a dog) has made about the individual genres.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #311

But that would stop the discussion
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    (like that guy who think Robin Hood is a dog)
    Wait what?

I laughed.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Which one?
    Chellu'chlid

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Chellu'chlid
    Is that from Call of Chutulhu or something?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    It can be solved pretty easily if people agree with me too.

No. This gives it the label "Science Fantasy".

You clearly have no idea what steampunk is. Steampunk is Spec-Fic or Fantasy set in worlds with widely used steam power, and often includes more advanced technology than common in that setting, but powered by steam or similar.

Except for the fact that ABR is neither steampunk nor spacepunk.
    Keris, has it ever occurred to you how amazingly condescending you can be when you argue? It's a bit rude, to say the least.
    First, no, it would be Sci-Fi. Different planet, aliens, robots, cyborgs...that is Sci-Fi. The other stuff makes it Sci-Fan, and that remains to be seen.
    Second, I never claimed to know what steampunk meant, but there is one tiny hole in your argument: technically, Lokutus uses steam-powered things. Just saying.
    Anyways, I side with MM's argument, but it needs a better name, as Schizotec isn't the only high-tech nation, and there are aliens. I also agree with him that Sci-Fi is way too unclear in its definition. How about 'Tech-Fan'?

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Keris, has it ever occurred to you how amazingly condescending you can be when you argue? It's a bit rude, to say the least.
    First, no, it would be Sci-Fi. Different planet, aliens, robots, cyborgs...that is Sci-Fi. The other stuff makes it Sci-Fan, and that remains to be seen.
    Second, I never claimed to know what steampunk meant, but there is one tiny hole in your argument: technically, Lokutus uses steam-powered things. Just saying.
    Anyways, I side with MM's argument, but it needs a better name, as Schizotec isn't the only high-tech nation, and there are aliens. I also agree with him that Sci-Fi is way too unclear in its definition. How about 'Tech-Fan'?
    Aare we making anABR genre now? Cool. What about something like Varied Magi-Tech (we have steam tech-high-tech medieval-tech and hell lotta other tech levels)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

17. - Top - End - #317

The whatever-the-heck-you-want-it-to-be genre?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

I said Schizotech, not Schizotec. It means it is a fantasy with a mixture of all technology levels.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Abr Genre shall now be known as the Nameless Genre.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I said Schizotech, not Schizotec. It means it is a fantasy with a mixture of all technology levels.
    I vote for that then (sounds fancier than my idea bu means the same)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I've been working on changing it, but I just find it frustrating when people don't bother to check their facts. I try personally, and end up browsing with Wikipedia and Wiktionary permanently open in different tabs.
    The presence of space whales and robot aliens has no basis in modern science, hence it is not science fiction. It is based on pure conjecture, so has strong fantasy elements. Sci-Fan was actually the wrong term, it's more Spec-Fic.
    I have no idea who "Lokutus" and google was unhelpful here. And if you intendto use the term steampunk, you should make sure you know what it means.
    Schizo Tech is a recognised term, from which the nation of Schizotec draws its name. And "Technological Fantasy" seems awfully close to "Science Fantasy".
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-05-30 at 12:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Technofantasty (Tech-Fan) sounds good, because it has the correct implications, but no prior meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Technofantasty (Tech-Fan) sounds good, because it has the correct implications, but no prior meaning.
    Really? The internet begs to differ.

And to me, a technofantasy setting is one with the primary focus on advanced tech, like P3 or possibly FI. FFF isn't tech-fan, but Fantasy with Sci-Fi elements.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, I've been working on changing it, but I just find it frustrating when people don't bother to check their facts. I try personally, and end up browsing with Wikipedia and Wiktionary permanently open in different tabs.

The presence of space whales and robot aliens has no basis in modern science, hence it is not science fiction. It is based on pure conjecture, so has strong fantasy elements. Sci-Fan was actually the wrong term, it's more Spec-Fic.

I have no idea who "Lokutus" and google was unhelpful here. And if you intendto use the term steampunk, you should make sure you know what it means.

Schizo Tech is a recognised term, from which the nation of Schizotec draws its name. And "Technological Fantasy" seems awfully close to "Science Fantasy".
    I don't think genre names are supposed to be accurate, scifi is supposed to be future stories (could even be an apocalyptic future where we has gone back to cavemanish technology) not necessary about science (it is often but I'm pretty sure it don't need it) and the name Fantasy... I can't even see why that name....
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-05-30 at 12:32 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #325

I vote for Schizotech, Nameless, and Omnitech (which really sounds like a less foreign way to say Schizotech).
    Last edited by Wreckingrocc; 2009-05-30 at 12:32 PM.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the incident with the "Plotaporter". Which, despite P3 being a prequel to F3, doesn't constitute time travel for some reason.
    Because it travels through space, not time. It travels beyond the fourth wall to get to the other plot, rather then back in time. No time travel invovled.

And, since P3 is dead and all, I see no reason it couldn't be canon. And because the spaceship has returned and got destroyed in FFF already.

As for genre: We don't need no stinkin' genre! It's unclassafiable, bitches!
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-05-30 at 12:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

He means Lockutas, an Avbaroy nation who used steam-powered technology prior to the Age of Dragons.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-05-30 at 12:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328

Abr Genre shall now be known as the Nameless Genre.
    Thats surprisingly not as impossible as it should be
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Because it travels through space, not time. It travels beyond the fourth wall to get to the other plot, rather then back in time. No time travel invovled.

And, since P3 is dead and all, I see no reason it couldn't be canon. And because the spaceship has returned and got destroyed in FFF already.
    But your manoeuvre through space took you to a different point in time. Hence you travelled in time.

And P3 isn't dead. It's pining for the fjords.

Gremlin means Lockutas, an Avbaroy nation who used steam-powered technology prior to the Age of Dragons.
    Ah. Well, they're steampunk, yes, but one swallow does not make a summer, and the presence of a small steampunk faction does not make the genre as a whole steampunk.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

But your manoeuvre through space took you to a different point in time. Hence you travelled in time.

And P3 isn't dead. It's pining for the fjords.

Ah. Well, they're steampunk, yes, but one swallow does not make a summer, and the presence of a small steampunk faction does not make the genre as a whole steampunk.
    What does pinning for the fjords mean? (I know it must be an expression or something but I don't get it)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.