New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Also why did Ins split from the hivemind in the first place?...

Is the UNA or the Sovice brainwashing people? cause that could be a fun plot point/subplot
    Firstly, the hivemind between each block has a range limit, which is far less than the distance between the surviving blocks from the first assault and the rest of Sovice kind (We're talking light years there).

Secondly, Ins didn't really split voluntarily, he and the rest of the Sovices made from the surviving block in the Fortress of Vengeance were all annihilated and then Ins' block was the one that Onachicken mistakenly resurrected into Lying's corpse.

From there, Ins was basically human, and last I checked humans aren't really bluetooth enabled

Technically speaking the HSM on Avbaroy is brainwashing people into compliance, but I don't think we're talking Room 101 kinda stuff.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Runescape is pretty unpopular around here (buyed games are better) and woW is played by everyone (though I'm getting bored with it and I only got one character and he's below level 30) I might check whatever has changed in Runescape but I don't like those games that much (various reasons)

Now back to the important stuff,
    @Lying: What about Them (BRC's part of the UNA, I think) would They brainwash people who are too big a thread or knows too much
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

What about Them (BRC's part of the UNA, I think) would They brainwash people who are too big a thread or knows too much
    They are media control, not direct brainwashing. They make sure that the printed word emphasises the good aspects of the UNA, and keeps any negative publicity quashed.

The Ghosts might dabble in some "Room 101" style stuff, but they're officially not part of the UNA government, and any information you have which might lead towards their capture would be appreciated, civilian.

Of course, what the Ghosts get up to is SoG's decision.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-05-29 at 11:46 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    They are media control, not direct brainwashing. They make sure that the printed word emphasises the good aspects of the UNA, and keeps any negative publicity quashed.

The Ghosts might dabble in some "Room 101" style stuff, but they're officially not part of the UNA government, and any information you have which might lead towards their capture would be appreciated, civilian.

Of course, what the Ghosts get up to is SoG's decision.
    Not quite true. Their purpose is media control, but they are not behind strategic brainwashing to support that end. They won't brainwash an entire crowd to keep them quiet, but if, say, a popular radio broadcaster is rocking the boat a little too much, Grandfather may "request" that the ghost of enchantment, or just have his in-house enchanters, brainwash him a little to keep him in line. Or, if they need a resistance cell leader to commit an atrocity to drum up some bad press for the resistance, they may brainwash him. So They arn't really into brainwashing, and it will only occur on Grandfather's direct order, but they recognize that a washed brain in the right place can be very effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Not quite true.
    But they won't personally take members of the public into a white, clinical room and expose them to their worst fears in order to reprogram their brains, will they?

What they're doing is brainwashing, but not noticeably so. They gentle nudge public opinion along the right lines, rather than forcing particular dissenters onto different sets of tracks.

They might have particular people forced onto different tracks, but only to help nudge the population at large.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-05-29 at 12:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

If people are becoming too rowdy at large/ rock the boat too much, they are indeed brainwashed by Antoine, but only if they have a way to spread the propaganda at large, via radio, tv, etc.

They send the ghost of illusion to press conferences, speeches, etc. To cover up any things they say that they don't like with sound and vision illusions. They might send the ghost of divination to see things a few seconds in the future, seeing if the will say something bad (yay censorship!). Afterwards, Antoine goes to brainwash them. Rinse and Repeat.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2009-05-29 at 12:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

But they won't personally take members of the public into a white, clinical room and expose them to their worst fears in order to reprogram their brains, will they?

What they're doing is brainwashing, but not noticeably so. They gentle nudge public opinion along the right lines, rather than forcing particular dissenters onto different sets of tracks.

They might have particular people forced onto different tracks, but only to help nudge the population at large.
    Yeah. They only Brainwash specific people in order to indirectly influence others, and that's only if other methods of influence arn't working. And if they DO brainwash, it tends to be subtle. Getting a Beguiler near them to cast a "Suggestion" spell is their primary method. The White-room method of brainwashing is too unsubtle for them. Besides, the problem with the other sort of Brainwashing is that it can be undone, and then the target may remember what happened to them, and Their existence may be uncovered.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale-Discussion Thread XXI: We're a Big, Happy, Dysfunctional Fam

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    If people are becoming too rowdy at large/ rock the boat too much, they are indeed brainwashed by Antoine, but only if they have a way to spread the propaganda at large, vis radio, tv, etc.

They send the ghost of illusion to press conferences, speeches, etc. To cover up any things they say that they don't like with sound and vision illusions. They might send the ghost of divination to see things a few seconds in the future, seeing if the will say something bad (yay censorship!). Afterwards, Antoine goes to brainwash them. Rinse and Repeat.
    What about an insane guy with the survival powers of wolverine who used to work in the UNA (pre-insanity) and his half-devil companion (spied a bit to) yelling out what they know (quite a bit) to everyone and trying to sabotage and ruin as much UNA stuff as possible for unknown reasons? (it's just some idea I have)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What about an insane guy with the survival powers of wolverine who used to work in the UNA (pre-insanity) and his half-devil companion (spied a bit to) yelling out what they know (quite a bit) to everyone and trying to sabotage and ruin as much UNA stuff as possible for unknown reasons? (it's just some idea I have)
    That sounds more like a job for the Ghost of Evocation.

Edit: Or They just quote them in INSincere, thus ensuring that they are not taken seriously.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-05-29 at 12:29 PM.
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    That sounds more like a job for the Ghost of Evocation.
    Who say that kind of plan hasn't been tried (I did specific survival powers of wolverine) besides that they know how to escape if they want (thus why they are a problem)

EDIT: there's still sabotage (they would also do stuff like attacking diplomats from potensial allies of the UNA while wearing UNA uniforms)

EDITEDIT: Wouldn't making them state it was just lies and help repair the damage do better for the UNA than actively try to silence them (the latter indicate that the UNA don't want people to hear it which wouldn't be a problem if it was lies)
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-05-29 at 12:40 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

He'd probably be incarcerated in either a mental asylum or a high security prison. And he wouldn't know that much, the UNA is pretty benevolent. Only Ins knows what's really going on.

there's still sabotage (they would also do stuff like attacking diplomats from potensial allies of the UNA while wearing UNA uniforms)
    And there's such thing as investigations. And security.

Wouldn't making them state it was just lies and help repair the damage do better for the UNA than actively try to silence them (the latter indicate that the UNA don't want people to hear it which wouldn't be a problem if it was lies)
    The UNA would do both. They'd claim he's just lying, and attempt to take him into custody. He is a terrorist, after all.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

He'd probably be incarcerated in either a mental asylum or a high security prison. And he wouldn't know that much, the UNA is pretty benevolent. Only Ins knows what's really going on.
    Not Quite true. Ins has underlings who know part of what's going on, but nobody besides him knows the big picture. Evidence could be found of unscrupulous UNA activity, but rarely is it truely Evil. Mainly, it's just suspicious.
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just something I made two days ago, probably appearance of my two characters in FI:

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I like that random avatar costume of mine
    just too much now

Further explanations later, as I'm now in the middle of exams
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

And there's such thing as investigations. And security.

The UNA would do both. They'd claim he's just lying, and attempt to take him into custody. He is a terrorist, after all.
    The asylum part sounds fun (more destruction can be done) but as far as I know people who think your country just tricked them to come so they could assault them won't always listen to your investigations. I also meant that it would seem more trustworthy if the guy who said it himself comes and say he was misinformed or something (then they put him in an asylum, and probably restrain him otherwise too, cause he's mad MAD)

EDIT: Nice drawing Skimmy
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-05-29 at 02:24 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

The asylum part sounds fun (more destruction can be done) but as far as I know people who think your country just tricked them to come so they could assault them won't always listen to your investigations.
    But countries that attempting to assassinate foreign dignitaries rarely do so with uniformed soldiers. Try to hard to make it look like the UNA did it, and it becomes obvious that they didn't.

I also meant that it would seem more trustworthy if the guy who said it himself comes and say he was misinformed or something (then they put him in an asylum, and probably restrain him otherwise too, cause he's mad MAD
    Well, I don't think they would release him again. Even if they did "cure" his insanity, the sudden change in his behaviour would be disturbing. (i.e. Before custody: "The UNA is evil! EVIL!", after custody: "The UNA is the best thing that has happened to Avbaroy.")
    It would also probably make better publicity to have him portrayed as incurable, but still cared for by the government he condemns.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

But countries that attempting to assassinate foreign dignitaries rarely do so with uniformed soldiers. Try to hard to make it look like the UNA did it, and it becomes obvious that they didn't.

Well, I don't think they would release him again. Even if they did "cure" his insanity, the sudden change in his behaviour would be disturbing. (i.e. Before custody: "The UNA is evil! EVIL!", after custody: "The UNA is the best thing that has happened to Avbaroy.")
    It would also probably make better publicity to have him portrayed as incurable, but still cared for by the government he condemns.
    That's why him being tricked into thinking it was the UNA is a good idea to tell people ("it weren't his fault he was manipulated by the evil resistance into it, THAT shows how far they would go" sounds like good propaganda to me and then they could put him in the asylum to "cure" his brainwashed-by-the-resistance state)

and about the other one: They would be trying to make it sound like the diplomat was only tricked in so the UNA could get a hostile before open war, then it would be outright stupid to hide who you are (you can't use the hostile if no-one knows you have it)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why him being tricked into thinking it was the UNA is a good idea to tell people ("it weren't his fault he was manipulated by the evil resistance into it, THAT shows how far they would go" sounds like good propaganda to me and then they could put him in the asylum to "cure" his brainwashed-by-the-resistance state)
    But it's even better for the UNA to be able to say "the individual is greatly disturbed. We do not know for sure what caused this, but as the claims he was spouting are similar to the ones levelled by the so called 'Resistance', I think we can draw some conclusions. He's currently being treated at [whatever] Hospital, but we cannot guarantee his recovery any time soon."

and about the other one: They would be trying to make it sound like the diplomat was only tricked in so the UNA could get a hostile before open war, then it would be outright stupid to hide who you are (you can't use the hostile if no-one knows you have it)
    I'm only fairly sure I understand what you're saying, but attacking a diplomat would be an act of war. If that was the case, then a diplomat would be taken into custody to use as a bargaining aid, not executed. And certainly not by just two troops in a public area, which is where I assume you'd attack, so as to gain the most impact.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

How bout a crazy vampire just walks up to the other crazy person and kills him? Problem solved, with violence! And Rot gets a free meal! Though his other meals are free too...
    Last edited by VampireRot; 2009-05-29 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

But it's even better for the UNA to be able to say "the individual is greatly disturbed. We do not know for sure what caused this, but as the claims he was spouting are similar to the ones levelled by the so called 'Resistance', I think we can draw some conclusions. He's currently being treated at [whatever] Hospital, but we cannot guarantee his recovery any time soon."

I'm only fairly sure I understand what you're saying, but attacking a diplomat would be an act of war. If that was the case, then a diplomat would be taken into custody to use as a bargaining aid, not executed. And certainly not by just two troops in a public area, which is where I assume you'd attack, so as to gain the most impact.
    Okay sounds reasonable (first part) and screw logic, they are insane (no more discussion about their effectiveness)

Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    How bout a crazy vampire just walks up to the other crazy person and kills him? Problem solved, with violence! And Rot gets a free meal! Though his other meals are free too...
    Where's the fun in that he would probably take Rot with him anyway (zombies are less ongoing than him, you can at least kill them with head shots, and get rid of them by killing them) he also has a partner ya know.That aside, why would Rot go for this guy? vampires get less victims in these Utopias and he is also fighting it (then there's the reason he got insane and freakish, which might be bad for your health)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Where's the fun in that he would probably take Rot with him anyway (zombies are less ongoing than him, you can at least kill them with head shots, and get rid of them by killing them) he also has a partner ya know.That aside, why would Rot go for this guy? vampires get less victims in these Utopias and he is also fighting it (then there's the reason he got insane and freakish, which might be bad for your health)
    Rot isn't exactly fighting Ins. He is simply an insane vampire who wants to nom everyone. He doesn't care who he kills. As long as they taste good. He doesn't go around shouting out UNC secrets, he goes around maiming, killing, and eating people.

Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

It's all because of the fries.
    ____

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    It's all because of the fries.
    Eh... What? French fries?
    Last edited by VampireRot; 2009-05-29 at 05:02 PM.

Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned

Hey Crimson, what was up with those three girls again?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

They dislike Damien with great intensity, you know, because hate is a mean word.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2009-05-29 at 05:18 PM.
    ____

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was bored, so, following in -skimmer-'s lead, I made a random picture of Sinister Penguin as he appears in FI:

Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xartyve2 View Post
    Hey Crimson, what was up with those three girls again?
    They're whores, they're mad because Damien didn't pay them. Don't pay attention to Crimson. He's crazy.

Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

They're whores, they're mad because Damien didn't pay them. Don't pay attention to Crimson. He's crazy.
    Not all of my characters are whores.
    ____

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

I'm thinking of including an eevil member of the Q-Continuum called JacQues in the proceedings.

He'll have a Jack-o-Lantern head and stand one head above all the other characters (like Brain is now).

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    Not all of my characters are whores.
    Riggghhhtt....
    Last edited by X2; 2009-05-29 at 05:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Base NPC, If I should change his clothes, just say.

____