New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Sickness.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Sickness.

So. I awoke at about one-thirty in a state of delirium and confusion because I could tell my thinking was erratic and very very cold despite it being quite a warm night. I spent from then til about twenty-to, ten-to three am vomiting, freaking the hell out cause it was coming out browney-black until I remembered the three chocolate cupcakes I'd had that night. The bits of blood from tearing my throat to shreds didn't help.
    I ended up crawling into my ex-girlfriend's bed for warmth and comfort because I still had a strange feeling deep down that I may die before the sun rose (didn't happen, obviously, though I did sleep smoothly til midday after she left for school. 'get-well' kiss on the forehead yay :3 I love the fact that we're on such good terms and still cuddle heaps etc despite how terrible our breakup was), so I spent a little while telling her she was an amazing person and praying for survival and, if not that, salvation for a while before I drifted uncomfortably to sleep, because every time I lay on my back my throat filled up with bloody mucous.

Anybody else been really badly sick recently?
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Sickness.

Not me, but my roomie had that MRSA staph infection that's going around. It was scary - suddenly he woke up with angry red streaks stretched from his arm across his chest. They had to cut his arm open, stab all the pockets of infection, and let it drain. All the while, he was feverish, hallucinating, and in agonizing pain. What's scary is 1) he didn't know how he got it, 2) they had to swap antibiotics three times before they found one that worked, and 3) the doctor told him his strain had a 40% mortality rate. Scary, scary stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dirky by Beans!
    Officially putting in for an extended leave of absence.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

it's the spring, someone may as well have just stuck my innards in a vice.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

Just... Be Down With The Sickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvxCK7mPfrw

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    Not me, but my roomie had that MRSA staph infection that's going around. It was scary - suddenly he woke up with angry red streaks stretched from his arm across his chest. They had to cut his arm open, stab all the pockets of infection, and let it drain. All the while, he was feverish, hallucinating, and in agonizing pain. What's scary is 1) he didn't know how he got it, 2) they had to swap antibiotics three times before they found one that worked, and 3) the doctor told him his strain had a 40% mortality rate. Scary, scary stuff.
    Damn, man ._.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty much sick on a semi-constant basis. If it's not one thing it's another. Like, whenever I work open shifts for the first hour or two I have hellish allergies and some difficulty breathing. After nine, I'm cool, but from 7-9 my nose won't stop running, etc. While at work. At a drugstore.

Work has been really cramping my sick style, though, lol. Since last July I have had...bowel issues which were never a problem since I was always home. It went away for a few months and then hit again full force during the middle of a shift. >< I'm lucky that the other people I work with have just as crappy immune systems as I do, though (they get sick more than I do!) and so they understood.

Oh, and I got stomach flu/food poisoning (no official diagnosis for the first so it could have been either, definitely stomach flu for the second one) TWICE. In two months. The first hit CHRISTMAS DAY. As in, I went to sleep at midnight and work up at three with the most terrible cramps I have ever had- which is saying alot since I have suspected endometriosis (basically, killer period cramps) and these cramps felt a whole lot like those. I spent the next four hours in agony on the couch while my mom tried sleeping on the floor next to me (and failed) until we got Peptobismol. Heaven sent Pepto!

So yah...crappy immune system for the win!
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I'm pretty much sick on a semi-constant basis. If it's not one thing it's another. Like, whenever I work open shifts for the first hour or two I have hellish allergies and some difficulty breathing. After nine, I'm cool, but from 7-9 my nose won't stop running, etc. While at work. At a drugstore.

Work has been really cramping my sick style, though, lol. Since last July I have had...bowel issues which were never a problem since I was always home. It went away for a few months and then hit again full force during the middle of a shift. >< I'm lucky that the other people I work with have just as crappy immune systems as I do, though (they get sick more than I do!) and so they understood.

Oh, and I got stomach flu/food poisoning (no official diagnosis for the first so it could have been either, definitely stomach flu for the second one) TWICE. In two months. The first hit CHRISTMAS DAY. As in, I went to sleep at midnight and work up at three with the most terrible cramps I have ever had- which is saying alot since I have suspected endometriosis (basically, killer period cramps) and these cramps felt a whole lot like those. I spent the next four hours in agony on the couch while my mom tried sleeping on the floor next to me (and failed) until we got Peptobismol. Heaven sent Pepto!

sucky year for you. my brother fractured his wrist last weekend. so he spent an entire day in surgery monday.
    crappy dm's, cliche storylines, and gamebreaking casters all seem less annoying when your high.

side effects include but are not limited to:
    losing the dice, increased number of ingame snack breaks, forgetting the plot, and passing out in the middle of a session

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post

I'm pretty much the opposite... the most I've felt in years is a bit of a cold that I find hard to differentiate from allergies. Which in turn are a byproduct of an overzealous immune system.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

MonkGuy

I don't get sick, I get stabby, so if I start sneezing, best to run and hide the knives.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I just get allergies. Haven't even had a proper cold in four years.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Anybody else been really badly sick recently?
    About ten years ago, I had black, sticky crap (feces), and threw up what looked like coffee grounds. Went to bed, was woken up around midnight, and was taken to the Emergency Room. They said I had a bleeding ulcer (bacterial induced), and put 8 pints of blood in me, 3-4 right out the gate, and the rest over the next 12 hours. The doctor said I probably would have bled to death in my sleep.

Then last year, I somehow developed tongue cancer. Never smoked a day in my life, nor dipped, nor engaged in anything "unhealthy." Went through four months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments, and am currently cancer free. I see my doctors again tomorrow, for my second follow up.

Yeah, I've been sick. But MUCH better now. When I'm not about to die, I eat and live healthy, workout, surf, swim, scuba dive, and take care of my kids. Oh, I was also T-boned on my way to see the doctor two months ago. Totaled my car, bit a tiny bit out of my tongue. No broken bones, no stitches, no concussion.

You can hurt me, but you can't kill me.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm generally pretty healthy, I've only had one major illness in the past few years. A little while ago (November 2006, IIRC) I was climbing up a hill when a friend dislodged a rock higher up that rolled down and hit my knee. It didn't hurt much, so I was surprised to see the skin over my left kneecap was torn up pretty badly. It was bandaged and cleaned, and I limped for about two weeks. A month after the accident, however, my knee started to feel tight, and within a few hours it hurt to walk.

It's hard to describe, but I'll try. Try lifting your leg up, completely loose. You'll feel a muscle just lower on the leg than your kneecap tense up and keep your lower leg steady, unless you're very careful to control the reflex. Whenever that muscle tensed up, it felt like somebody was cutting into the muscle. I lay on the couch for most of the day, then tried not to walk the next. I was taken to the hospital, my dad (a doctor) believed I had probably torn something in my knee. Turned out to be a staph infection that had managed not to manifest until about two weeks after my knee had healed. It wasn't resistant to antibiotics, thank gods, but I was in the hospital for about 4 days. It wouldn't be so bad, except I managed to miss two parties in that short time span (Birthday and a Bar Mitzvah). Also, I got really neurotic about air bubbles in my IV system, which never actually became a problem.

Anyways...that's probably the most interesting injury I've ever had, and it's not even that interesting compared to some things I see here. As I said, I'm generally pretty healthy. I get sick a few times a year on average.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theshjuan* View Post
    sucky year for you.
    Not year...this is my life, lol. I'm doing a lot better lately, I used to get seriously sick every few months (enough to knock me out but not to have to go to a doctor for official diagnosis). Mix of immune system suckage and allergies.
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not recently, but I was pretty bad just prior to Christmas.

I don't remember much of that time, just what I was like... waking up at least three times a night in freezing cold sweat, almost passing out if I took more than four steps at a time (it was common to see me sitting, back braced against the wall, on the landing en route to the bathroom) in the event I actually could walk. Either freezing cold or boiling hot all the time. Stomach messing around a lot. Could barely move my neck at all, possibly due to muscle issues. Every time I did it led to massive headaches as well as neckaches. Was so weak at the time I could barely move, though, so it could have been worse. The constant headaches I'd have normally were pretty bad as well. Drank loads of water, so it wasn't dehydration, and I was eating OK as well... it got to the point I was honestly thinking, by the end of the third week, "I am going to die soon." And the ****ed up dreams... some seriously messed up stuff there. Only really remember one which was somewhat less messed up, it involved kissing a close friend for some reason. The others were literally the stuff of nightmares, never had as many pseudo-lucid dreams in such close proximity before.

I was like this for four or five weeks, missed 6th form for two of these.

I don't normally get particularly ill. Anything short of the above I will live as normal with. But being literally unable to walk... kind of does have an effect.

And in fairness, after that I've felt a LOT stronger than before... I know I can get through pretty much anything now, I've been through that