New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Psicrown of the Dark Psyche: A thing of nightmare

Psicrown of the Dark Psyche
    A dark psyche psicrown is the thing of nightmares, focusing on the irrational fears and hidden phobias buried deep down within the subconscious.
    Description: This psicrown appears wrong somehow. Superficially it as a skullcap woven of the darkest grey silk with silver crystal forming intricate, strangely unnerving patterns that radiate out from a smokey crystal in the very center. Long tassles stiffened with glistening wire protrude from around its edge, each individual thread seeming to grip the wearer's head strongly. Upon looking closer they seem to be literally imbedded into the skull, but that must be a trick of the eyes surely? Wait, did it just twitch?!
    Activation: You can activate the psicrown as a standard action and use any one of the psionic powers listed below. Using a different power, or the same one in succession, requires another standard action.
    Effect: This psicrown has 450 power points and allows the use of the following powers.
    * cerebral phantasm (CP 80)
    * demoralize (XPH 91)
    * form of doom (XPH 108 )
    * primal fear (CP 95)
    * shadow eft (CP 98 )
    Aura/Manifester Level: Moderate Psychometabolism and Telepathy. ML 11th.
    Construction: Craft Psicrown, cerebral phantasm, demoralize, form of doom, primal fear, shadow eft, 47,447 gp, 3,796 XP, 47 days.
    Weight: 1/2 lb.
    Price: 94,894 gp.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Psicrown of the Dark Psyche: A thing of nightm

I like it, but that's just me. I don't really know enough about late-game psionics to tell you if the powers and cost and such are balanced or not. Still, I like the concept, and that's what matters, right? ;D

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saithis Bladewing
    I like it, but that's just me. I don't really know enough about late-game psionics to tell you if the powers and cost and such are balanced or not.
    Well, Shadow Eft is a 4th level power, Cerebral Phantasm 3rd level, and Primal Fear 1st.

I'm pretty sure I have all the costs correct, though never made a psicrown before. Took me like 30 minutes studying the cost mechanics and comparing the results with the crowns already in the book. I mean, the rules didn't mention certain key things but I found out anyways because thats how the other crowns were. I think its jussst a tad overly complicated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Are they really? Tells you how little I know about psionics. XP

My speciality lies more in early-mid level arcane spells...at least with magic/powers. <_<;

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Are psicrowns essensially just psionic staves? The wording is a bit different and it seems that a psicrown has no limit to it's manifester level, potentially allowing all 450 pp to be used in one go. That can't be right, I'll check the XPH at home.
    "I'll give you a 10 second head start; if I catch you, I eat you."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrath
    Are psicrowns essensially just psionic staves? The wording is a bit different and it seems that a psicrown has no limit to it's manifester level, potentially allowing all 450 pp to be used in one go. That can't be right, I'll check the XPH at home.
    Psicrowns are the psionic equivalent of a staff, yup. And it says Manifester Level 11, so these powers can be manifested as an 11th level manifester.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I didn't see the Manifester Level bit in the price. But you would be able to use your own manifester level, as per a staff. I haven't used the psionic rules for two campaigns...
    "I'll give you a 10 second head start; if I catch you, I eat you."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Psicrowns are the psionic equivalent of a staff, yup. And it says Manifester Level 11, so these powers can be manifested as an 11th level manifester.
    *cough*
    (SRD material)

Unlike with other sorts of psionic items, the wearer can use his manifester level when activating the power of a psicrown if it’s higher than the manifester level of the psicrown.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

*cough*
    Well, yeah, if the manifester is higher. But at the least this is an 11th level crown.