New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Monster, NPC and Random Encounter Generator, Advancer, Customizer

This monster advancer is a great program; I've been wanting something like this for a long time. It seems like u have made it as far as tyrannosaurus in the monster manual alphabetically. Is that correct or are you just going at it willy-nilly? Sadly I found this when looking for a quick way to advance the winter wolf pet of a frost giant lord in my campaign and...no winter wolf. Keep up the good work though, very cool.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Monster, NPC and Random Encounter Generator, Advancer, Customizer

Quote Originally Posted by Malsheem View Post
    This monster advancer is a great program; I've been wanting something like this for a long time. It seems like u have made it as far as tyrannosaurus in the monster manual alphabetically. Is that correct or are you just going at it willy-nilly? Sadly I found this when looking for a quick way to advance the winter wolf pet of a frost giant lord in my campaign and...no winter wolf. Keep up the good work though, very cool.
    I am sorry your winter wolf was not yet complete...I am almost always working on more creatures...and while I would not describe any of my choices for what got in as "willy-nilly" it is not a straight alphabetical entry to be sure. In any case, I can enter the winter wolf right away as I have a master file of creatures I managed to parse out of a huge database that just need to be cleaned up before release in the application. If there are any others creatures you need just ask and I will bump them up the priority list.

3. - Top - End - #33

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malsheem View Post
    I just updated the Advancer today and I figured it would be worth letting you know that that winter wolf is in there now. (I forgot to list it on my new creatures list but it is there.) Perhaps a bit late for your purposes...but I do hope that late is better than never.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

i would like to see more monsters as base creatures and templates perhaps a prestige class or two but so far i am impressed kinda makes me want to dm again. huge time saver.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Excellent job, just the sort of something I was looking for, considering I found a "random loot generator" for when you are really feeling too lazy.

Anyway, the only problem I saw so far is that when I selected "Icy environment" it came out with a javascript error.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to add XP per party member (a dialogue to select number of players and their levels) and random loot into the mix?

7. - Top - End - #37

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEternal View Post
    Excellent job, just the sort of something I was looking for, considering I found a "random loot generator" for when you are really feeling too lazy.

Anyway, the only problem I saw so far is that when I selected "Icy environment" it came out with a javascript error.
    Thanks for your kind words. For errors if you send me an email letting me know what the error was I will fix them right away. The only known quirk to the random encounter generator has to do with tight restrictions and not being able to find a way to generate what you want. There aren't currently a lot of Icy environment creatures and b/c of that it is possible you will get the message that explains that your restrictions might be too tight. (This problem will eventually vanish as I continue to get more and more OGL creatures entered.)

If you ever have requests, feel free to send those my way too. I try very hard to cater to my vocal users.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can you add NPC classes?

9. - Top - End - #39

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    Can you add NPC classes?
    I can indeed. That is something I have been sitting on for a while and wouldn't really take that long. I will let you know when it is done and released.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I love you, you are my hero!

-Btw would it be possible to have different colour background settings to display? My eyes are bleeding =(...

-Also, I don't know if it has anything to do with your program, but the boxes sometimes go out of the screen on the customized generation page, so maybe allow the user to reshape em a la microsoft word or ppt style with boxes?
    Last edited by golden pony; 2010-03-17 at 01:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

OrcBarbarianGuy

I appreciate the support.

I can certainly add some options for background color. I liked the black but my wife actually said from the beginning that black backgrounds cause some contrast issues for some people.

As far the boxes, I designed the page to work at 1024x768(15.4" laptop standard) and larger but I realize that I have users that have smaller viewable areas when viewing the site. With that said, I am in the process of designing a more wizard-style flow system that will work better overall. The other interface was done that way because I wanted the user to have access to all customizable elements in one spot...but that might not have been necessary. In any case, with the new interface you can switch through each element and the page is set up with an application-style layout which will fill whatever page size you have and has handles to drag certain areas larger or smaller or collapse them completely.

The new interface is probably a little ways out as I am swamped right now but I will keep you posted.

I hugely appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

could you add some of the more obscure classes? namely scout :P I'm having a scout heavy group of enemies and this would be really great for making some of those guys. it's understandable though if you don't want to at the moment.

13. - Top - End - #43

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by the humanity View Post
    could you add some of the more obscure classes? namely scout :P I'm having a scout heavy group of enemies and this would be really great for making some of those guys. it's understandable though if you don't want to at the moment.
    Unfortunately, scout is not open game content as it appears in the Complete Adventurer which has no open game content at all. If you can find a published OGL compliant class that is similar enough to make you happy I will certainly put it in.

14. - Top - End - #44

What about NPC classes?

15. - Top - End - #45

OrcBarbarianGuy

What about NPC classes?
    Those are in the works my friend. They should be included with my next release...which should be fairly soon.

16. - Top - End - #46

OrcBarbarianGuy

404 New creatures have been added. And NPC classes were released as well!

17. - Top - End - #47

Kobold doesn't incorporate how the CR is modified by using NPC classes.

This is what I mean.

Challenge Rating
    Kobolds with levels in NPC classes have a CR equal to their character level -3

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    It's partly due to the fact that this computer is still a windows '95 opperating system.
    Windows 95 ! Wow... As for the software I've been using it to prepare some creatures for my games for a while now and I've gotta say I love it. I've used similar apps but they are often full of minor mistakes on certain creatures, never had a problem with yours.

I have to say though that I would love an offline version. It's great to create a creature on the fly and I don't always have net access where we game (I DM with my laptop).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Overshee View Post
    Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to add XP per party member (a dialogue to select number of players and their levels) and random loot into the mix?
    Seconded.

And while we are on the subject of amazing tools. (not to derail from what you got going), but are there a couple of other tools that you all might recommend? I'm a pretty lazy DM and would love a random loot generator, etc, to compliment this already robust system(it seems--admittedly I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I plan too later today after I'm off work though).

Keep up the good work! I appreciate your dedication to the craft!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Wow. You must be at least... 5000 years old. Probably even more! ;)

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks
    https://sites.google.com/site/writingsofanauthor/

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

20. - Top - End - #50

OrcBarbarianGuy

You got me there. I have not incorporated that rule. I will double check the CRs versus NPC classes in general...and make sure to include the fix for kobold CR as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar
    And while we are on the subject of amazing tools. (not to derail from what you got going), but are there a couple of other tools that you all might recommend? I'm a pretty lazy DM and would love a random loot generator, etc, to compliment this already robust system(it seems--admittedly I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I plan too later today after I'm off work though).
    As far as loot goes I have started some basic work on one of those. (Check out this treasure generator thread especially if you have some ideas about what you might want in a loot/treasure generator.

The experience wouldn't take too much work either and I will put some thought into how that might fit and when I might work into into my development plan.

Keep the feedback, discussion and thoughts coming, it is exciting to be able to participate this directly with the 3.5 community.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Looks very interesting. Keep up the good work.

22. - Top - End - #52

OrcBarbarianGuy

I have updated the CR calculations for NPC classes as well as the specific code for Kobolds. Since I am not currently handling 1/2 or 1/4 CRs the Kobold will remain at 0CR until they have at least 4 npc levels which will then equate to a CR of 1.

The general NPC CR calculation treats npc levels at +1/2 CR for each level up to the original HD. So a Lamia with 9HD has a starting CR of 6. If I add 4 levels of adept the CR becomes 8. If I added 9 levels of adept the CR becomes 10.5(or 10 since I don't handle 1/2s). If I added 11 levels of adept the CR becomes 12.5(12) since once I have 9 levels of an NPC class they start counting 1 for 1. (Fun programming there!)

23. - Top - End - #53

Planetar

Hey, this is the same generator I've been using for the campaign in my sig. We've gotten some REALLY weird results from it, but it's entertaining!
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

24. - Top - End - #54

Amazement! This is sooooo nice.

I'll chip in actually $$$ if you add the option for auto-feat selection when classes are added to a critter!

Honest! I will!

My least favorite thing as a GM is generating stats, skills, feats, and equipment for mid to high level NPCs...
    -Chuck Smith
    Brooklyn Gamer Dad
    Magus PC OOC IC
    A-Team PC OOC IC

25. - Top - End - #55

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Hey, this is the same generator I've been using for the campaign in my sig. We've gotten some REALLY weird results from it, but it's entertaining!
    Those poor misunderstood Red Half-dragon, spell-warped, celestial 8-headed hydras with barbarian levels need everyone's support.

The tailored encounter generator (for slightly more predictable weirdness) and improvements to the random encounter generator (for more control over the weirdness) are in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by cssmythe3 View Post
    Amazement! This is sooooo nice.

I'll chip in actually $$$ if you add the option for auto-feat selection when classes are added to a critter!

Honest! I will!

My least favorite thing as a GM is generating stats, skills, feats, and equipment for mid to high level NPCs...
    I am moving toward feat suggestions in the new interface. Also stats will be far more flexible while still being a breeze. You will also have choices between at least a couple skill assignment strategies if you don't like the one I am using now for everything. I glad you like it and I always appreciate donations to help pay for the hosting costs. As a Java application it is not as cheap as other web sites. I hope I can continue to impress you. Let me know if you have other requests.
    Last edited by TheOverlord; 2010-04-25 at 09:07 PM.