Initiative: +2
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 21 (+2 dex, +13 natural, -4 size), touch 8, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+34
    Attack: Slam +18 melee (6d6+12)
    Full attack: 2 slams +18 melee (6d6+12)
    Space/Reach: 20 ft./30 ft.
    Special Attacks: Humbled spirit, mighty friends, swinging fury
    Special Qualities: Behind the giants, damage reduction 15/cold iron, low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +16
    Abilities: Str 35, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 12
    Skills: Climb +24, Hide +24, Intimidate +25, Listen +28, Move Silently +26, Spot +28, Survival +17
    Feats: Ability Focus (humbled spirit), Awesome Blow, Diehard, Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Stunning Fist, Track
    Environment: Any forest
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 12
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Usually neutral
    Advancement: 22-39 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: -

The Red Man, despite his great stature, is all but a myth. Though uncommon, the rare sightings are caused from their prefered locale, the forest primeval. Flora untouched and unspoiled, left alone to attain their full growth and strength. There is found the Red Man, protector of the mighty. His favorite haunts are forests of redwoods and sequoias, the only locale in which they truley feel at home. They are generally peaceful fey, content to walk within the continual twilight beneath the boughs of their home, patrolling constantly but contentedly.

A Red Man respects size and age above all things, and the oldest, and therefore hugest, red men are treated with great deference, as are any other gigantic creature. Most mortals and other creatures however are looked down upon if the fey even chooses to recognize their presence.

A Red Man appears as a truley enormous giant, though with overly large eyes and pointed ears that no giant would possess. His arms are long, and his legs comparatively short, with prehensile toes, and indeed his gate is alike to a massive gorilla. His overmuscled body is hairless and the shade changes subtely with the available light level, though always of a reddish hue. Moss and fern grows upon his body in fantastic, decorative designs that hint at intentional plantings. Shadows from light through branch and needle seem to continually play over the body, even in brighter light levels or absence of such branches, making it difficult to gauge his exact dimensions, adding even more to its allusion of massiveness. In fact, those who don't notice its presence or look closely as they pass often mistake the Red Man's stout legs for individual trees.

Red Men stand around 25 to 30 feet tall and weigh over 10,000 lbs. They speak fey, and a rare few individuals learn druidic.

Combat:
    A Red Man whoes wrath has been awakened, usually by the harming of his trees or the slaughter of a beast of great size and age, does not rage, but instead steps before his opponents and hulks, intimidating them with its sheer size and filling them with feelings of inferiority. If this is not enough to scare them it retreats, drawing them close to a giant trunk, and swings about it, sending them flying. If met with particularly strong opposition he summons a mighty forest lord, a beastly great grandfather, to aid him.

Behind the Giants (Ex):
    A Red Man knows better than almost any other how to use the great trunks of his mighty forest for protection. While within his forest he is granted partial concealment (20% miss-chance), and gains a +10 circumstance bonus on hide checks which is already included in the statistics above.

Humbled Spirit (Su):
    At will a red man in his forest home can cause any creature of Huge or smaller size within 60 feet who can see him to experience a sobering sensation of insignificance. They begin to feel they are but tiny insects compared with the towering majesty surrounding them. Each affected creature takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls unless they succeed on a successful DC 23 Will save. This penalty remains as long as they are within range of the Redman. Those who make the save are immune to this feeling of insignificance for 1d6 minutes. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma based.

Mighty Friends (Sp):
    Once per day a Red Man may summon a Legendary Bear, Gargantuan Monsterous Spider, or Roc as a Summon Nature's Ally spell cast by a druid of the level as the Red Man's HD. The summoned creature appears with the benefits of the Animal Growth spell.

Swinging Fury (Ex):
    A Red Man has a unique way of battle. As a full-round action he may run at a tree, and reaching out with his hand, whip completely around the growth, ending back in the space with which he started. The Red Man deals 6d6+18 damage to any creature within his reach about the cicumference of his chosen tree as if he had made a charge attack against them. A Red Man may use an Awesome Blow to each of his opponents with his swinging fury.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: They were as giants...

I was half-expecting the Red Man to have the power to spit tobacco juice.

In all seriousness, another nice monster VT!

NASCRAG Judge in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

pirate-man founder me love thog!

Sneak. A. Tar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Combat:
    A Red Man whoes wrath has been awakened, usually by the harming of his trees or the slaughter of a beast of great size and age, does not rage, but instead steps before his opponents and hulks, intimidating them with its sheer size and filling them with feelings of inferiority. If this is not enough to scare them it retreats, drawing them close to a giant trunk, and swings about it, sending them flying. If met with particularly strong opposition he summons a mighty forest lord, a beastly great grandfather, to
    Bold mine.

Might want to change that part- I don't see anything about "forest lords" in the abilities, just bears and spiders and rocs. Also, the sentence sort of dies off.

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmuncher

Bold mine.

Might want to change that part- I don't see anything about "forest lords" in the abilities, just bears and spiders and rocs. Also, the sentence sort of dies off.
    Maybe a Red Man got him before he could finish typing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Might want to change that part- I don't see anything about "forest lords" in the abilities, just bears and spiders and rocs.
    Just a bear? Its a legendary bear, something that chews up dire bears and spits them out.

Just a spider? It could wrap up king kong.

JUST A ROC?! The largest non-aquatic animal (to my knowledge) in any wizard book?

Also, recall, they arrive one size category larger (the roc and spider are now colossal, and the bear huge) than normal, +8 to strength, +4 to con (with additional hp as a result), +2 to AC, DR 10/magic, and +4 resistance bonus to each save.

You would not consider these 'forest lords'? Even if they were just normal fellows for their race they'd still be 'beastly great gandfathers'.

Maybe a Red Man got him before he could finish typing.
    Just a couple words got backspaced there. Adjusted.

6. - Top - End - #6

Giant Fey are always awesome. I approve heartily.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Just think of them as dire dryads ;)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Just think of them as dire dryads ;)
    Oh my... I think my roomates are wondering whether I've finally lost my mind...

Admittedly, though, when I saw "Red Man", I immediately thought of Red Man from Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars" trilogy.

Dangit, now I'm gonna have to try and come up with stats for him. What were the Colossal+ rules again?
    Ohh! What's that!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

What were the Colossal+ rules again?
    If you find them be sure to let me know.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso007
    Dangit, now I'm gonna have to try and come up with stats for him. What were the Colossal+ rules again?
    There are none in any core D&D product, although Dragon Star presented something that sort of worked, it was just an extrapolation of the sizes from coloassal on up.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

VT, aka new inovative monster factory.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ahh, the Redwoods of Big Sur as an inspiration for D&D... y'know it's that line of thinking that inspired those Rock Lord transformers in the 80's. Difference is, this is actually really cool. Good job! ^___^
    &&&&

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Big Sur?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso007
    What were the Colossal+ rules again?
    ELH possibly? I know there's a section on Colossal+ epic dragons in there.

Another great monster Vorpal, you sir are a one man menagerie maker. I get an image of the Red Man as a cross between a gangly Sasquatch and the way Robin Goodfellow was drawn in the "Sandman" comics. Good stuff.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seriously Vorpal, do you have some sort of archive where you keep all the monsters you have created? I am often pretty fond of what you make and I'd love to have em on hand. ;)
    I have no sig

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Aye, though some of my creations on here are old and newbish from when I was first learning. Someday will get around to updating them.

VT's Creation Page

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Oooooh, Smiley like. These bespeak a rare and precious brand of lunacy.

Vorpal Tribble
    Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man
    Rootin' Tootin' Texas Chilli Ooze

Gotta love creatures with special qualities like Expectorated Globule (Ex), Stay-Puffed (Ex), and the spell-like ability Otto's Irresistible Square Dance.

Ouch! I think I ruptured something laughing so hard. ;D

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Big Sur?
    Big Sur - forested Californian central coastal region and site of Jack Kerouac's last book.

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/roadpt0600.htm

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Ahh, cool. I've never actually seen a redwood tree, as I'm only an hour or so from the Atlantic, though someday may get to the west.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yo, VT - Typo in the Marshmallow Man:

Suffocating Grip (Ex):
    A Marshmallow man who successfully grapples a foe of large or smaller is dealt 2d8+11 crushing damage each round and cannot breathe.
    Why, exactly, does grappling someone cause the Man to hurt himself and start suffocating? ;D (even though he's a construct) - reword it to give him the Improved Grab ability, maybe with Constrict and the "no-breathing" if he deals Constrict damage.

21. - Top - End - #21

Not to overly criticize, but I have a bit of a problem with the Humbled Spirit ability: the duration of immunity for those who make their saves. 1d6 minutes? Seems kind of cumbersome. Does the DM roll for each player and hide the result? Most such abilities allow 24 hours of immunity, which saves player hassle (if they are forced to count rounds until they are vulnerable to a monster's special attack) and DM hassle (honestly, I would likely forget who's invulnerable at given times).

Also, the ability itself doesn't have a duration.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Have you been contacted by the Spooooky Wizards yet? Thats almost a whole sourcebook lying in that post on the wizards boards.

Yes, another great job as usual. Durkon is going to be running for his life once he sees this one.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Yo, VT - Typo in the Marshmallow Man:
    Grrr, I wrote that thing over a year ago, lemme alone ::)

Not to overly criticize, but I have a bit of a problem with the Humbled Spirit ability: the duration of immunity for those who make their saves. 1d6 minutes? Seems kind of cumbersome. Does the DM roll for each player and hide the result? Most such abilities allow 24 hours of immunity, which saves player hassle (if they are forced to count rounds until they are vulnerable to a monster's special attack) and DM hassle (honestly, I would likely forget who's invulnerable at given times).

Also, the ability itself doesn't have a duration.
    I don't mind critiques at all, as thats the main reason I postem. This is basically a Crushing Despair spell at will, though with better reach, but those unaffected become immune to it for awhile.

I don't see how its more difficult to keep track of than any spell casting creature, as if it was really casting crushing despair you'd have to keep track of who all was affected, especially if it casts it again.

As for how long it lasts, basically as long as they are in its presence. Will elaborate.

Have you been contacted by the Spooooky Wizards yet? Thats almost a whole sourcebook lying in that post on the wizards boards.
    Pfffttt, honestly I doubt Wizards would give a flip. In their yearly big hoo-ha of a contest I won 2nd place in their monster making competition.

The three top finishers were to recieve:

#1. A material prize.
    #2. Ability to change their avatars whenever you like (normally you just have to pick a stocked pic)
    #3. A little message saying you are an 'Uncon Prize Winner!'

It took over 6 months before I got my prize, and that is after sending at least 3 emails just trying to figure out how we were supposed to get them as we just kinda won and never heard anythign back from those sponsoring it. Finally I managed to get hold of the head WizO of the forums himself and finally got my prize.

My avatar I still cannot alter at will (though I at least got them to change it to what I want, though I can't adjust it or anything like some of the other winners can).

And I don't have a thing about my being a winner of it anywheres.

So if I have to go through this much trouble just for them to recognize a creature that won in their special contest for them to get around to the promised reward, I'd bet they've never even read a single creature post of mine.

(Yes, I'm kinda annoyed withem ;) )