New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [4e Paragon Path] - I can shoot an arrow faster than you can speak a syllable

Fusillade of One
    “One more step, and you’re a porcupine. Twice.”

Prerequisites: Ranger, Archer Fighting Style, Dex 19

You have ridiculous reflexes. Your bow fires arrows impossibly fast, and enemies stare in disbelief as arrows stream out of your unassuming weapon seemingly constantly. Your foes’ bodies are flooded with deluges of arrows, and you frequently shoot them half-a-dozen times before their lifeless corpse hits the ground, for good measure. You can change targets on a dime, and the mechanical firing of your deadly projectiles seemingly mows enemies down across the battlefield. You live by the motto of shoot first, shoot some more, continue shooting until everyone is dead and then ask questions, often to the chagrin of your less battle-eager allies. As long as arrows are humming through the air and enemies are collapsing with punctured tracheas, you are at peace.
    No matter the number, it is irrelevant - if you can shoot them, you can kill them. If you can’t shoot them, you find a way. Then you kill them.

Fusillade of One Class Features:
    Fusillade’s Action (Level 11): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you can make a ranged basic attack with a bow as a free action before taking your action.
    Volley Shot (Level 11): When you score a critical hit with a bow, you can make a ranged basic attack against the target as a free action.
    Switch Targets (level 16): When you reduce an enemy that is your Hunter’s Quarry to 0 hit points or fewer, you can make a ranged basic attack as a free action. If the attack hits, the target is marked as your Hunter’s Quarry. You still cannot have more than one Hunter’s Quarry at a time.

Fusillade of One Powers
    Interrupting Shots
    “A spell? Let me show you a spell of my own, wizard. I call it ‘Flesh to Pincushion’”
    Encounter * Martial, Weapon
    Immediate Interrupt Ranged Weapon
    Trigger: An enemy makes a ranged or area attack against you
    Target: The triggering enemy
    Attack: Dexterity vs. AC, three attacks
    Hit: 1[W] damage each. The target takes a -1 penalty to the triggering attack roll for every attack that hits.

Shots in the Dark
    “Seeing is for amateurs!”
    Encounter * Martial
    Free Action Personal
    Effect: You gain blindsight out to 5 squares until the end of your next turn.

Volleys of Death
    “You know, they say beauty is in the eye of the Beholder. But all I see is a dozen of my arrows.”
    Daily * Martial, Weapon, Stance
    Minor Action Personal
    Effect: Until the stance ends, once per round, when you hit with a ranged attack using a bow, you can make a ranged basic attack against the same target as a free action.

My first non-HoZ Paragon Path in a few months. I may be a little rusty. Tear it apart, Playgrounders.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-05-29 at 11:43 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [4e Paragon Path] - I can shoot an arrow faster than you can speak a syllable

I love it. I am a big fan of making multiple attacks. I've already made some recommendations to you about this, the only other one I can think of now is that Volley Shot should be limited to one free attack per round.

It's obviously very powerful if you can stack more static damage bonuses onto the attacks, but that's usually true of Rangers in general. Nicely done paragon path, now get back to work on HoZ.

Edit: Actually, Switch Targets should also be limited to one free attack per round.
    Last edited by Alteran; 2009-05-29 at 11:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4e Paragon Path] - I can shoot an arrow faster than you can speak a syllable

I love the wording on "volley of death"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, as it is, Switch Targets can be used to clear an average of 19 minions per turn (only because a natural 1 is a miss), within the range of your weapon. And if you're using a Greatbow with Distant Shot... I agree that you should limit it. Maybe 1 per round, or up to Wis mod or something?

Also, I don't quite see the point of Shots in the Dark being an encounter power. Most campaigns don't involve complete darkness or invisible creatures every encounter. Perhaps a Daily, with increased potency for the effect? Maybe sustain minor, or for a number of rounds equal to Wis mod? Okay, I'm not sure how balanced that would be, actually...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gawaeyn View Post
    Yeah, as it is, Switch Targets can be used to clear an average of 19 minions per turn (only because a natural 1 is a miss)
    ...Ah, no? First, you have to have an encounter with 19 minions. Second, most minions that a party will fight have high enough AC that the archer usually won't be able to hit on rolls lower than 10.

6. - Top - End - #6

It could still easily clear 2-4 minions in a round, and still attack a non-minion.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gawaeyn View Post
    Yeah, as it is, Switch Targets can be used to clear an average of 19 minions per turn (only because a natural 1 is a miss), within the range of your weapon. And if you're using a Greatbow with Distant Shot... I agree that you should limit it. Maybe 1 per round, or up to Wis mod or something?
    See Mando's comment. He's right - you don't auto-hit minions. And if your DM is using 19 Minions in 1 encounter, something is wrong.

Also, I don't quite see the point of Shots in the Dark being an encounter power. Most campaigns don't involve complete darkness or invisible creatures every encounter. Perhaps a Daily, with increased potency for the effect? Maybe sustain minor, or for a number of rounds equal to Wis mod? Okay, I'm not sure how balanced that would be, actually...
    Also lets you shoot invisible creatures, and ignore things like a Displacer Beast's Displacement. Also gives you immune to blinded (which is crippling to an Archer) for that one round, and lets you use your Fusillade's free/immediate actions against things with concealment, total concealment and invisibility. I'd say that while its not useful every encounter, it should at least come in handy once or twice per day, for its listed duration.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    It could still easily clear 2-4 minions in a round, and still attack a non-minion.
    Which any level 1 Wizard or Sorcerer can do as well. At-Will.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-05-31 at 01:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Technically, this is an at-will to. In addition to the at-wills you already have.

Well, what can I say? Shots in the Dark gives you two rounds of Blindsense each encounter - the one you activated in on, and until the end of your next turn. Handy, but if you really need Blindsense, will just two rounds be enough? It's a nice counter to blindness until you save, but it really wouldn't help if you're stuck in a cavern without light.

Volleys of Death is worded oddly. "..hit with a ranged attack while using a bow..." perhaps? It still allows a Ranger/Warlock to Eldrich Blast someone as the counter - although I don't find that a bad thing, personally.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I loved this class. One of the few things I felt a touch of originality.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Which any level 1 Wizard or Sorcerer can do as well. At-Will.
    However, that requires the minions to be grouped together. They just have to be in range for this to work. I'm still not sure if it's unfair for the level 16 feature, but if your DM likes to use a lot of minions, it will be too powerful.