New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

First thing first, a lesser known fact. Writers and artisty fellows absorb people's attention like tomatoes absorb micro and macro nutrients. It's true, and scientifically proven. Of course I can't give you the scientist's name since I promised to protect him from the scary men with white coats. Still, a fact.

I've been here for... three years. But only few people knew that I actually like to doodle. Mainly because for some reason I don't like showing my work. I'm a failing art student. People around me draw really, really good. I'm always ashamed to show my works. And because I rarely comment in art threads since, frankly, I never know what to say, even if I enjoy the comics or art. My comment on Giant's comic thread can be counted with fingers. Because of that I'm not entirely comfortable on showing my works here.

But lately, I've been doodling a lot. And I know that I'll be doodling a lot more in the future. And I felt that It's really a waste if nobody see them. So here it is, my art thread in the playground.

So as the immortal word of zen master Nhat Hanh said.

"When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don't blame the lettuce."

disclaimer: the quote has absolutely nothing to do with the opening art. A silly random doodle for a moon themed drawing contest with some friends.

You can see my older drawings at my deviant art.

Oh by the way, I rarely color my drawing. So if any of you want, or can be bribed or coerced to color my drawing, tell me.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-05-31 at 08:31 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Fri's Witty and Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

First thing first, the thing that made me make this thread. I'm currently playing a steampunk campaign with some people from this forum, DM'd by the one and only Tengu. For some reason, the campaign really pulled my long atrophied drawing muscles. It just made me want to draw. So here are some illustration for the campaign.

My character, Elizabeth Shelley the perky and optimistic reporter.

Terra Oblivion's Character, Lt Alexandra Strauss. An Imperial Prussian Officer.

Jokes' Character, Malcolm Prentice. The awesomely moustached Great White Hunter.

Thorn's character, Mitch Dunstan. Every ragtag bunch of misfits need a hot blooded youngster with punch first ask later attitude.

And Markus Waltz, the dour and religious Blue Collar worker. He's Eldmor's character.

There's another character, Luis Cruz de la Vega that is Grey Wolf's, but I'm still working on it.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-05-30 at 10:11 AM.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Those are rather good, you've got an interesting style. I might use some of them for colouring practice.

And as a pedant, I must inform you that the thread title is not alliterative. The literary technique you have employed is consonance, the repetition of consonant sounds. Alliteration is the repetition of consonants when at the beginning of words.

4. - Top - End - #4

I know :D

That's supposed to be the joke... that I guess isn't that witty. It isn't alliteratively titled at all. But I titled it in the style of those witty alliteratively titled random banter thread.

Oops. I just killed the joke, haven't I? Damn.

Thanks for the comment anyway! And especially if you color them.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-05-30 at 01:18 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I approve! Very nice indeed!

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread.

Thanks, nameless! I hope I can sustain your approval !

More old drawing.... for now. You can see most of it in my deviant art. There'll be new ones soon though.

Alexia Freeman, Adventurer Archeologist. She's a bard. With whip in one hand, ukulele in another, and leather fedora on top, she's ready to tackle any mysterious ruins anywhere. Another dnd character of mine. I really like her, but sadly the campaign folded prematurely. I'd like to use her again. It's a goggles of minute seeing on her head, by the way.

This is a rather older drawing, and using my other style. It's The man with no name and the man in black from Sergio Leonne's For A Few Dollar More! My favourite part of the man with no name trilogy.

(click for full view, it's rather big)

It's my characters from a steampunk webcomic that I was planning to do. No time to actually do it, sadly.

It's about the exploits of the Skyline Express, an air-based delivery company in a chaotic and wild world after the collapse of the major imperium in the setting. Just imagine a cross between the end of World War 1, the collapse of the holy roman empire, and the age of exploration.

Their motto is Vindico Quisquam Usquam: Deliver anything anywhere, though people know that their unofficial motto is Vindico Primoris Salus Laxus: Deliver first, safety later.

From left to right:

Captain James Clemens, the proud captain of the refurbished flying frigate Unremarkable Aubergine. Actually want to be a fighter pilot.

First Mate Veronica Shelley, the beautiful master of all kind of deadly weapon. Love jazz music, painting, and can kill you with 25 kind of bladed and projectile weapon in under one minute.

Count Alexei Verne, Skyline's main stock owner (First name actually spelled Aleshenka). Dashing Adventurer, Noble Gentleman, Remarkable Alchemist, Questionable Businessman, and 100% Female.

And last but not least,

Quartermaster/Staff Captain Herbert Wells. Deal with ship's monetary and logistical problems, and the one that must deal with the aftermath of whatever mess that the crew led the ship into.

There's a theme in their naming. I said in deviant art that, the first one that said it will get a free art request, but well, I never really got around in deviant art.

(click for full view)

A robot. Sigh, anyone want to help me to color it? I'll uh... give you a cookie or something. Or maybe even an art trade, who know? I really like this picture.

And... another... one.

It's my character Elizabeth Shelley with Fate Testarossa's costume. Uhm... may I ask for help, if there any avatarist who coincidentally stumbled into this thread to make a stickyfied version of it for my avatar? I tried to do it myself, but I just can't get the hang of it. I'll give you two cookies! Maybe even I'll doodle something for you!

Thank you for your attentions though! I'll try to hang around the site more. Currently, I'm just rather busy.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-05-31 at 08:48 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

Just a quick sketch. Is the hat colour okay or should I go with white?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

woah thanks! The hat is fine, either in that color or black. Now, since I promised, anything you want to be drawn :D?

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

The last member of the party.

Luis Cruz de la Vega. A genius spanish engineer. He's actually a druid, but since this is a steampunk campaign, instead of turning into bear, he got a steam exoskeleton.

And finally, the party is complete...

"Luck is not chance, it is toil. Fortune is expensive, smile is earned."

But there is no such thing as accident; it is fate misnamed."

Kloster, 14 May 1881
    Elizabeth Shelley

It's epic. It made me draw a lot after all these times. And it made a good wallpaper .

It made me want to try to color it, even I almost never color things... I think I'll try to color it in my free time.

Anyone want to try :D? It'll take an epic amount of time though.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-06-02 at 01:20 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am really impressed. Is this all line art, like say, in Inkscape or a similar type of program?

I ask because I want to be able to draw like this, but I can't do it by hand--I'm just too clumsy with my fingers.

But I could do it in a graphics program, maybe, with time and a lot of practice.

11. - Top - End - #11

Yes, it's using vector program. By comparison, the opening drawing is handmade. These are my handmade lineart, but mind you it's drawn a couple of years ago, so my line art now might be better (or worse).

(by order of drawing date)

The first and the last one is illustration of my humorous fantasy adventure story, once upon an adventure. It's currently being on indefinite hiatus tho.

from left to right, in the last picture:
    The mysterious half-goblin leader of a vegetable worshipping cult that's going to be involved in the party. I haven't give him a name...
    Ed, the wandering cowboy (because he travel with his trusty cow sidekick, Jean)
    Fin, the main character. He's a bard that got the kingdom's most famous sword and charged to protect the princess by the dying knight commander.
    Clarice, the princess that turned into a guy because of a curse.

and Meryl, the clumsy castle wizard's apprentice.

The pumpkin might be, or might be not, the castle wizard. It's a long story.

Practice is the way to go. If your hand is clumsy, practice by two things: got a lot of used notebook, and follow the lines on every page using pen or pencil. Then, try to draw lines between the lines.

I really like meryl. This is a picture of her drawn using paint.

Originally, I only used vector program for line art. Here's an example of the sketch of my skyline illustration, sketched using drawing pen.

But then I got lazy on sketching, and just directly drawn them in my pc.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-06-02 at 09:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very impressive indeed, then. I really like your work.

13. - Top - End - #13

Thanks. I guess using computer is really the way to go for us with shaky hand.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

My first attempt on coloring for a very long time.

Met when they're holed together and hiding from alien bombardment in Pyrenes once, Elizabeth was fascinated by Luis' exoskeleton on her first sight. They ran away together as the defense line in France collapsed. Elizabeth has been tagging him , writing reports and generally pestering Luis ever since.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Very nice, is it watercolours? (*sigh* I think the French/swedish "akvarell" sounds more professional)

16. - Top - End - #16

Thank you! Sorry for not responding for this long. As much as I love watercolor though (it's my favourite coloring tool) that previous picture was colored in my pc. I do try to make it watercolory and papery though.

Latest pic!

The main characters for another of my story idea: My Girlfriend is An Evil Overlord.

At day, she's just another cute girl in the school, somewhat popular, and maybe rather eccentric. But after school hours...

She is an evil overlord with just one goal. WORLD DOMINATION.

The girl is the evil overlord. And the boy is his dragon/black knight/right hand man/boyfriend. He's actually a sensible and down to earth guy, but for some reason is totally devoted for the evil overlord. They have a somewhat strange relationship, but in the end, they really do love each other.

Together with their ragtag crew of evil minion, each day they try to perfect their plan for world domination. Sure they got limited resources. And there are other, bigger,evil organization out there. Not counting those annoying busybodies of justice. But it's the passion that count.

They won't stoop to murder or unleashing mutant beast to the civilians though. That's so unhonorable. Our evil overlord maybe evil, but she got this code of honor.

Who is this girl? Why does she want to rule the world? How come she become the leader of an evil organization (however small it is) in such a young age. And why does, with all his facepalming and frustation, he got so much devotion for the girl?

I got the proto plot and background, but I don't think I can really do this story. That's why I realized the best way to deal with this story is to set it up as a role playing game campaign.

In fact, I posted it here because I have the plan for the campaign in the near future!
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-12-24 at 05:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

What's that weird language some people use in the deviantart comments?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

huuh? What weird language?

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post

The main characters for another of my story idea: My Girlfriend is An Evil Overlord.

At day, she's just another cute girl in the school, somewhat popular, and maybe rather eccentric. But after school hours...

She is an evil overlord with just one goal. WORLD DOMINATION.

The girl is the evil overlord. And the boy is his dragon/black knight/right hand man/boyfriend. He's actually a sensible and down to earth guy, but for some reason is totally devoted for the evil overlord. They have a somewhat strange relationship, but in the end, they really do love each other.

Together with their ragtag crew of evil minion, each day they try to perfect their plan for world domination. Sure they got limited resources. And there are other, bigger,evil organization out there. Not counting those annoying busybodies of justice. But it's the passion that count.

They won't stoop to murder or unleashing mutant beast to the civilians though. That's so unhonorable. Our evil overlord maybe evil, but she got this code of honor.

Who is this girl? Why does she want to rule the world? How come she become the leader of an evil organization (however small it is) in such a young age. And why does, with all his facepalming and frustation, he got so much devotion for the girl?

I got the proto plot and background, but I don't think I can really do this story. That's why I realized the best way to deal with this story is to set it up as a role playing game campaign.

In fact, I posted it here because I have the plan for the campaign in the near future!
    Best story idea I've ever heard.
    Art-type stuffs. Naughtier Art-type stuffs.
    And occasionally-updated fanfics.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    A demi-god indeed.

Prepare the sacrifice! Ninjamuffin must be appeased!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    It's spine-dislocatingly good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    Keep it up you awesome artist of the gods!

20. - Top - End - #20

Thank you

Sadly, I don't think I'd be able to do it as a webcomic or online story. But I still really want to write the story, that's why I'm thinking about an rpg campaign. That way, I don't have to think of all the details, I can let my players to do that
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-06-11 at 09:44 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    huuh? What weird language?
    "kesannya damaii gitu...

btw kalo mau ngasi efek yg kertas begitu kepriben carane om?"

"huh? cuma dikasih noise yg monochrome doang kok. Harusnya pake texture, cuma males nyarinya di internet."

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

hahahah!

My mother elven language? Don't tell me you forgot that I'm actually a wandering half-elven from a hidden elf village?

It's my first language, of course. I won't tell you where did I came from, because I'm annoying like that, but it should be easy enough to figure.

Actually, our country got a strange and really trivial relationship together, Tengu. search poland flag on cracked.com

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

More campaign related stuff

The last picture that's been hanging around in my head since I started to draw. This one took way longer than it should be, and actually different than my initial idea, but still kinda like it.

Anyway, I tried to recolor the overlord girl picture.

Much better, but still not in the standard of you guys. I'll try another recolor later.

here's the lineart version by the way. feel free to stretch your coloring muscle.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Some new pictures!

Amor Fati, Elizabeth Shelley's hammy mechanical bard alter ego. In case you didn't notice, it's inspired by Zero from code geass fame.

and...

Roscharch with Harisen. It's a long stoy. I'm not really sure about how it happened too.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-06-30 at 10:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

And more pictures!

a recolor of my overlord girl pic

and...

Susan Simpsons, the resident drunk mad scientist. Played by Xuincherguixe
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-21 at 10:36 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your colouring's certainly improving, and I appreciate the effort made to soften the shadow and such, as oppose to complete blockiness of earlier colourings. Some parts do seem a little too soft. I like the complete elimination of odd linings from your first colouring of the picture. There can be improvements on shadow consistencies, since there seems to be conflicting light source. Some objects, such as the chair, has little shading, and greater application of brushing on multiple layers as oppose to burn/dodge may turn out better.

As for the second picture, some difference in shading on the bottle may suggest better that it's a transparent bottle as oppose to a bottle with lines on them. At the moment it doesn't seem the brown table has any difference with the white sleeve.

I'll let my critical superiors point out some fundamental stuff I missed, since I tend to miss those. In any case, I like the style differences and the different things you try to do, rather than doing one single thing you are good at consistently.

27. - Top - End - #27

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. I'm currently trying to find a coloring style that suits me/make me comfortable.

edit: and hey! For some reason I didn't see you around the forum for quite a while. Maybe it's just me and my limited circle though.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-22 at 03:21 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't seen you around for some time either. >.>

<<

Pwease give us some of your amazing art. >.>
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

29. - Top - End - #29

Really DD? Hmm, I guess I'll pop some pic for the fanservice thread

In the mean time

It's grey fowl! My character in cubey's angsty and dark RPG campaign! Where angsty teenagers are forced to fight with creepy cosmic horrors in an evangelion-esque setting!

Yes, it's a chicken, crossed with grey fox from metal gear solid, plus kamen rider.

I don't really like the color scheme though. Any idea on better color and uh... how to make it more chickeny yet kamen rider-y at the same time?

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

I tried to reline my older knight picture above

any comment?

edit: a much better one

Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-25 at 06:34 AM.

Spoiler
    Show