New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

Help! I'm turning into a touhou fanartist!

yuuka is my third favourite touhou character <3
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-07-16 at 12:09 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post

*snip*
    Don't feel bad I'm turning into a BlazBlue fanartist myself (although the rate at which I draw means there is little distinction between one offs and habits as far as art goes).

Plus unlike me you can actually draw.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2010-07-16 at 11:27 AM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

*does nothing*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    Don't feel bad I'm turning into a BlazBlue fanartist myself
    Eh?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-16 at 11:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Don't feel bad I'm turning into a BlazBlue fanartist myself (although the rate at which I draw means there is little distinction between one offs and habits as far as art goes).

Plus unlike me you can actually draw.
    Don't say that. Absolutely everyone can draw, believe me. Start with copying other's pic, that actually works wonder.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    *does nothing*
    Eh?
    BlazBlue is another game (a beat 'em up made by the same people as Guilty Gear to be exact) which uses anime style graphics.

Don't say that. Absolutely everyone can draw, believe me. Start with copying other's pic, that actually works wonder.
    Perhaps I should have appended "well" to my statement. I've been trying for about 5 years and I'm not getting very far (if anywhere).
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

BlazBlue is another game (a beat 'em up made by the same people as Guilty Gear to be exact) which uses anime style graphics.
    I knew that, heck I've drawn avs of Noel and Hakumen, I just haven't seen any of this fanart of yours.

Perhaps I should have appended "well" to my statement. I've been trying for about 5 years and I'm not getting very far (if anywhere).
    There's a book called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain... which I never got to read past the first chapter. Seems interesting though.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-16 at 06:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

I knew that, heck I've drawn avs of Noel and Hakumen, I just haven't seen any of this fanart of yours.
    Oh in that case, it's because the "slowness" colliery is in full effect. I've only got a partially finished sketch that consists of Rachel and a half drawn Tao done so far (I started it last week).

8. - Top - End - #98

my brother designed some steampunk-ish guard uniform for my latest campaign, and this is my line-art version of it. The original design looks a lot cooler in my opinion actually.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

My next character, gensokyo's only private investigator Kurenai no Nagareboshi

I drew some card storm as background for the next one, but it turned out to be bad.

Last edited by Fri; 2010-08-01 at 03:26 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

My latest character

The Solemn Gunslinging Orchestra, Mary Colette Bell

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

She actually looks quite cool. Sort of reminds me of Meryl from Trigun.

12. - Top - End - #102

Yeah. My other friend also said so. I really didn't noticed the similarity previously.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Mostly because of the guns hidden under a cloak (or coat in this case).

14. - Top - End - #104

I saw the trailer for Bioshock: Infinite and there can only be one conclusion for that.

it's another fanart of http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153567
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-08-13 at 01:21 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

I just had one of my most adventurous and scariest dreams in my recent memory.

And to prevent turning this into my dream journal, I'll post this

Raitan the lightning fairy. She's Poison Fish's character for the Dungeons and Danmakus 4e touhou game.

Anyway, in the dream, for one reason or another I was swept into a strange realm not unlike in Neverwhere, Un Lun Dun, or Alice in Wonderland. But it's closer with London Underground in Neverwhere, I think, where instead of wide open magical space, it's claustrophobic inducing anachronistic tunnels and rooms.

It's rather hard to explain. The visual rather reminds me on The Burrow from the harry potter movie. Anachronistic and random rooms splotched together into a non euclidean labyrinth. Wooden rooms, stone rooms, rooms with different visual styles, big rooms, small rooms, inclined rooms where you'll roll down if you lost your balance.... One room seemed to link to another room randomly. If we enter one room through one door, and use that door again, it might not lead to the previous room. The inhabitants seemed to know how to travel through the rooms though.

The inhabitants, or at least the ones who I interacted with wore random assortments of clothings. Like how wizards dress in muggle clothings in harry potter, only slightly steampunky. It seemed like they wore whatever they could get their hand onto.

I ended up in some kind of school, or at least the equivalent of it, because they only got one classroom, and got acquaintained with the inhabitants. There were quite a lot of people there, but who I can remember are the cute female teacher, an old grandmothery type who seems to always cook something, and I think, an ex boxer or something. From them, I learned about the realm. It seemed that the realm was a combination of six different realms/dimensions, and the school was part of one of them, that was the rather steampunky realm. The realm was not in its best situation though. Each dimension/realm got a leader, and the leader of the steampunky realm was missing. Since then, the realm had turned dangerous, or at least more dangerous than usual, and my acquintance smell foul play.

I decided to help them, and we're going to spy to another realm. A very scary realm.

A realm of midget killer clowns. Yes. Holy ****, it was scary. It looked like a dark, still rather steampunky, scary circus. We spied on two midget killer clowns, one female-y and one male, discussing something. I didn't understand anything, they seemed to talk in gibberish splattered with random catchphrases. But I think my comrades understood. But crap, I did something wrong, moving or making some noise, and they noticed us. One of my comrades told us to stay still, it seemed that they could only see movement and listen to sounds. So we try to stay still, while the two scary little clowns investigated us, walked all over us, and prod us. They finally lost interest and walked away, and then we ran like hell. Somehow we then ended up in the school. It seemed that the grandmothery cook that was left in the school could open a portal into the school from anywhere at a certain point of time. But anyway, it seemed that we now know for certain that the scary circus realm got something to do with the missing leader.

Then I got through the door to my home (it seems that I can do that regularly at that point) and decided to watch some movies with my friends, and I woke up.

Quite an interesting dream.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-09-19 at 12:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

What makes you think that was a dream, youngling?

*doffs top hat, disappears through mystery door*

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    What makes you think that was a dream, youngling?

*doffs top hat, disappears through mystery door*
    *reach to pocket*

*picks a trinket that shouldn't be there*

I guess I should wait for the inevitable midget clown attack and the cute female teacher pulling me through a door.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

There's a book called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain... which I never got to read past the first chapter. Seems interesting though.
    Ooh, I have that book (not where I'm currently staying, sadly enough)! It's good stuff.

Also, Fri, I'm liking your newer additions. You seem to be a lot more comfortable with using a computer for drawing now, specifically in posts #99 and #100.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    Ooh, I have that book (not where I'm currently staying, sadly enough)! It's good stuff.

Also, Fri, I'm liking your newer additions. You seem to be a lot more comfortable with using a computer for drawing now, specifically in posts #99 and #100.
    Thank you. Yeah, I think I'm getting faster with the computer. Better is still objectionable though. And I still don't think I could color. I do have bad color sense, beside zero spatial intelligence (had nothing to do with coloring though).

And your post reminds me on something I should link for Prime!
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-09-18 at 08:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

So this is what I've been doing this night instead of my final project

Last edited by Fri; 2010-09-28 at 06:44 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Vroom....

Pew! Pew! Pew!

Another digital painting I made instead of my final project. It's cathartic.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-09-30 at 02:07 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Another digital painting. I just felt like drawing something pulp actiony, and this is the result.

I think this would be my last digital painting for a while. Interesting experiment, but I don't think I can do much with a mouse. I'll be back to my usual drawing style after this.

I myself wonder what's the story behind this picture.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-10-08 at 12:32 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

Hey guys. No pic this post, but I want to ask you guys something. I know how to make myself better: practice and practice. But I kinda hit a minor bump and want to ask for third party advice.

What's missing from my drawing? I mean, what do you think I need to do to make my drawing looks professional? Why my drawings don't look pro yet? By professional looking for example in this board say, Kasanip or Elagune. Something you'd pay for comission or would make a high end webcomic. Something that would be posted in the Dungeons and Dreamboats thread or one of the 'booru sites.

Mind you, I don't believe that complexity is the sign of a pro. Herge's drawing are simple and he don't even use shading, but his definitely a pro (herge is one of my main inspiration by the way).

Or... this guy, His drawing isn't complicated but I would pay him to draw me something, so I guess he's in my definition of 'pro'.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-10-10 at 02:20 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the unifying factor for 'pro', commissionable artists is consistency.
    If you find another work of theirs on a random google search, you go 'Hey, is that a new Culexus/Kasanip/Elagune? Why, i believe it is!'. They have some common visual traits in all their works, the basic elements of their style you could say.
    This is especially obvious in how people draw faces.
    For example, Culexus has a very angular and simplistic style, but all his works adhere to it, so it remains consistent and works. It's just how he draws.
    People commission from artists because they can have reliable expectations of how it will turn out when it's finished.

I think you have a solid foundation for a style going from posts #2, #9, #14, #16, #25, #55, #68, #99 & #100. It just needs polish . Poses need a bit of practice. #99 & #100 are a step in the right direction, though the legs need to be better defined.

...help, i'm turning into an art critic .
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-10 at 05:48 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

I like your colors very much.

I do not think I am 'professional' because very much 'amateur artist'.

But maybe most important thing I think except practice is 'confidence.' Maybe to look at the lines of a drawing, you can see in 'professional art' very confident lines. Elagune's art has this I think. It has confidence. But I do not think I do very often.

Looking at your art, do you think the lines are confident?
    Maybe to become more confident, you can practice very much.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

26. - Top - End - #116

Thanks for your idea Essay, Kasanip. I'll really mull about it. I really want for my picture to get into the next level... It's just, you can't really see what's missing by yourself, right? More idea on what's missing from my art to feel professional is still welcome.

anyway, I actually drew this a long time ago, but never managed to finish it for some reason.

Now let's poke Rumia the youkai of dusk!

Rumia is my second favourite touhou character.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-10-28 at 07:07 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Heehee.

Kasanip's post on lines was pretty close to my own thoughts. If you want to level up your skills, I'd suggest trying out new methods of doing things and seeing if any of them work better for you. Maybe increase your use of layers, or start from some scanned pencilwork.

What equipment do you have, in terms of hardware and software?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

And that is why you never poke Rumia without wearing gloves!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    And that is why you never poke Rumia without wearing gloves!
    *walks up to someone who's never heard of Touhou*
    Hey, want to poke her? Don't worry, her power is... manipulation of Christmas lights. Yeah.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Seems a little less sensible than poking Cirno.