New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

Guess what my newest favourite novel is!

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I like The Truth very much. Seriously, it got everything that I said I like in this thread back then.. The journalism theme, the detective story, urban fantasy theme, the ragtag bunch of misfit underdogs, the humor, the unusual setting, everything.

I drew this straight after finishing reading the novel. I didn't reread it or use references, this is a spontaneous drawing of how I imagined the crew looks like.
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-04-07 at 08:10 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #212

Default Re: Fri's (somewhat) Witty and (not) Alliteratively Titled Doodle Thread

I'm going to be graduated at Saturday! Wow!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations!

4. - Top - End - #214

Alexia Freeman doing a sommersault and shooting with her revolver, a scene from the Mecha Sky Pirates game.

Originally, I was going to draw this simple pose

but I thought it'd be boring, and thought on how I could make it more dynamic. I hope it works.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Talk about dynamic! Pity the attack missed, though.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Nice.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Ms. Alexia is very cool.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

8. - Top - End - #218

Thanks everyone.

Anyway, I just had one of the most epic dream I've ever had. It's about mecha sky pirates, my mnm game gmed by tengu. But rather than a mecha setting, in my dream, Mecha Sky Pirates was a setting more in the line of One Piece, except that it's in modern/future setting and it's in the sky, and it's sci-fi instead of fantasy.

Anyway, my dream was set somewhat in medias res. The background was rather similar withour current story. We're saving a princess from a big bad pirate boss named Steeleye. Except that we haven't met Steeleye in person,we just saved her from one of his flying fortress. For some reason it's clearly felt that we're in the end of an arc (if you've ever read one piece you'll know what I meant.)

But there's one specific difference. In my dream, Steeleye was also a legitimate businessman, and most people never knew that he's also a ruthless pirate. In my dream we didn't simply want to defeat him. His piracy empire is too big and powerful, basically he's in the level of Yonko in one piece. (in one piece, there are three Yonko in the world, and the alliance of two of them could overthrow the world government). We might be able to defeat him personally, but even if we kill him, his armade would hunt us and the princess forever.

So we had a plan that refuged in audacity, just in the level of One Piece. We flew to his big mansion with our flying ship, and had our strongest character, Yasmin, press the mansion bell and intercom in front of his mansion's gate. Instead of having a mech, in my dream Yasmin is a badass normal super strong melee fighter in the line of Shizuo from Durarara. Then, she started to trashtalk Steeleye and his guard there, saying that they're all cowards and saying that she's there to challenge them all in melee fight.

As guards starts to come and Yasmin started to beat the tar out of them (imagine that scene where shizuo and celty fights hundreds of suika zombies in the park), my character Alexia, and, for some strange reason, Rose, a character from my Spriggan game, sneaked into Steeleye's mansion and tried to find his personal computer. We got some hint that he kept proof of his pirate activities in his mansion.

As fights raging and getting bigger outside (it's really hard to explain in words. Basically, an epic end-of-arc battle in the style of One Piece) Alexia and Rose managed to find Steeleye's pc. Then with the help of Steeleye's accountant, we started to copy all of the proof of his piracy. As we're doing that, somehow Steeleye that's currently fighting with our captain outside realized what we're doing, like how Sauron suddeny realized that the ring was near mount doom at that one point in LotR movie. So he quickly moved toward Alexia and Rose. It was really intense, since Alexia and Rose knew that they didn't have any chance at all to win against Steeleye, and the only chance for them to survive is if they managed to copy the data fast enough.

Luckily, we managed to finish copying and then printing the data just as Steeleye barged into the room. We shown him the print, and said that we will spread it to everyone, except if he leave us and our princess friend alone.

Here's another main difference with the actual game. In this dream, Steeleye looks exactly like the head of the Zoldyck assasin family from hunter x hunter, Silva Zoldcyk. And he enjoy his position in the society as legitimate and powerful businessman and doesn't want anyone to know about his pirate activities in all cost, like captain kuro from one piece.

So grudgingly, he smiled, advit defeat, and complemented us for our audacity and plan. He then agreed to let us free.

Then we flew toward the sunset, having epic party singing, playing music, congratulating each others, as all of us (especially yasmin) was bleeding and black and blue and tired and had just an epic fight to death. We congratulate the princess and she said that her country would be our ally forever.

Then, my character alexia stopped her sipping of liquor and said the 'twist' of the arc. Apparently, Steeleye whispered something at her when she left the room. That we won him personally with our brazenness, a ship with so small of a number of crews dared to fight him directly. So he said something in the line of, if we're in any trouble, we could expect his support. And then we realizes that we don't only got an ally in the form of our princess friend and her kingdom, but also one of the biggest pirate armada in the world!

That was an epic dream.
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-04-28 at 10:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219

Whew, it took me a while, but

Spoiler
    Show

Art for the Mecha Sky Pirates game. It's my first big drawing since who knows how long.

Really not as good as what I hoped it'd be, but I can't do anything much about it now. I was aiming to color it in 'pastel chalky' style, you know, like freeze frames at the end of anime episodes, but I don't think I managed to get it.

And I was having a very bad flu when coloring it. In fact, I still do now.
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-05-11 at 11:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220

Whoa, that's pretty excellent Fri. The colours really make it come alive compared to the line art I saw. Then again, one of the main criticisms I'd make of your work is that it's a bit line-heavy, so it's unsurprising that I'd like something where the lines are almost eliminated.

You're right that it doesn't quite have the feel you say you were aiming for, but it seems to me it hits a different mark of its own instead of just falling short of the one you wanted. It kind of feels like a background layer from a cel-shaded game, or something similar.

11. - Top - End - #221

Thanks kami. I got my drawing style from my upbringing, that is I was grown with Fujiko F Fujio and Herge's works. Their art styles are about thick, bold lines, so I turned out to prefer those styles. And it's easier to draw!

I forgot to say that for some reason, I always thought that the setting have mediterannian feels/look at it.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it is very nice. I am happy to see your drawings Your colors and background make me envious!

13. - Top - End - #223

It's the other way around, kasanip... (_ _)

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Dangit, where's a Seal of Approval when you need it?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

That's a pretty cool picture. I have an issue with one thing, though:
    No matter what some of my players might keep telling me, I refuse to believe that Gale Riders fly in the "Superman!" pose. They might use it in some high-speed maneuvers, but most of the time they fly like Gundams or Dragonars. I don't care if that's less aerodynamic, neither Phlogiston engines nor general mecha rules care about that. It just looks so much better.

That's all for the rant. I like the rest. You people should help Mari catch the food instead of being surprised and/or not giving a crap, though!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    That's a pretty cool picture. I have an issue with one thing, though:
    No matter what some of my players might keep telling me, I refuse to believe that Gale Riders fly in the "Superman!" pose. They might use it in some high-speed maneuvers, but most of the time they fly like Gundams or Dragonars. I don't care if that's less aerodynamic, neither Phlogiston engines nor general mecha rules care about that. It just looks so much better.

That's all for the rant. I like the rest. You people should help Mari catch the food instead of being surprised and/or not giving a crap, though!
    What a shame that most likely I'll have the image of gale riders flying in prone position forever, eh?

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that just means you'll be wrong forever. I am the DM, I am the law!

Seriously now. Judging by the recent events, you might consider adding Jacobin being a boss to this picture. Or just draw a new pic with him.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228

Well yeah, that's what in my mind as well. If only I waited for three days before drawing it or he get into the game three days faster...

I guess Jacobin thought he's simply too good for a mere group picture, eh?

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229

Alright, before posting in this thread go into necromancy category...

Spoiler
    Show

Finally finished, or at least I decided, screw this, I don't want to work on it anymore. Took me almost two weeks, which is way too long, because at some point it starts to feel like a chore and I have to force myself to work on it and do it like fifteen minutes a day.

I almost completely scrapped it and redraw everything when I was coloring it, but I managed to save it into something less embarassing. Not as good as what I planned, especially with the time it took, but well, good or bad, there it is.

It is, an art for the War of the World PbP game that I often draw arts already, where I play the intrepid reporter Elizabeth Shelley.

In the foreground, you know them alread, the ragtag bunch of misfits. From left to right: Elizabeth Shelley, Mitch Dunstan, Malcolm Prentice, Luis Cruz de la Vega, and Colonel Alexandra Strauss.

In the back are their Colossi, mysterious giant alien mechanical beings that they stole and somehow shape it according to their deepest personality, thought, and hidden secrets. The last hope for Earth's Freedom.

From left to right:

Beast of Exmoor, piloted by Mitch Dunstan
    Amor Fati, piloted by Elizabeth Shelley
    Union Jack, Malcolm Prentice's mech
    Penumbra, Luis Crus de La Vega's
    And finally Siegfried, Alexandra Strauss' mech.

From, all those, I didn't design Beast of Exmoor, I only draw it according to someone else's design, which regretfully doesn't have any deviantart account

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

...wow. That's pretty epic.

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Thanks a lot Prime. I wasn't sure whether to post this or not actually, because it hadn't passed my 'sleep-over rule.'

That is my rule about, when I consider a drawing finished, I must sleep over it first, and see the drawings again later post-sleep, to see whether it's actually embarassing or not. I haven't slept over it yet.

Trivia: Union Jack is actually based on a marvel superhero with the same name

And this drawing makes me think about WotW in Super Robot Wars for some reason.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I second this. The 'Grand Scale' effect is well executed.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

It has many nice things. I think it is inspiration because you always improve and try large things.

However, maybe it is a little confusing of 'focus' of sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Thanks a lot Prime. I wasn't sure whether to post this or not actually, because it hadn't passed my 'sleep-over rule.'

That is my rule about, when I consider a drawing finished, I must sleep over it first, and see the drawings again later post-sleep, to see whether it's actually embarassing or not. I haven't slept over it yet.
    I think it is good rule. I should try to do this!
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2011-06-19 at 06:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

And this drawing makes me think about WotW in Super Robot Wars for some reason.
    I do that a lot. Of course, since they're small-sized semi-supers, it means they're completely overpowered. See: Tekkaman Blade.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

More Mami

"Let's kill all witches together you say?

Say... do you know where witches came from...?"

Something like that.
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-06-24 at 03:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236

This is my gun.
    There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My gun is my best friend.
    My gun is the only one who understands me.
    Without my gun I would be nothing.
    My gun will never leave me.
    My gun gives me everything I need.
    I have a disturbing and inappropriate fixation on my gun, I guess is where I'm going with this.
    Go away. My gun and I need some privacy.

27. - Top - End - #237

It's been a while since I painted something. This is a song drawing, like what I did with Eternity back then

This time it's based on Yuki Kajiura's "Where My Story Begins"

It's Haru and Lia from Kasanip's "Travel and Tsukumogami" game from back then.

Not very good, but eh...
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-07-17 at 08:23 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

Suddenly, Robot.

This is the must fun I've ever had drawing this year.

Another spontaneous quick painting. I really didn't plan this, I can't sleep and felt pretty depressed when suddenly I got struck by inspiration and just have to paint it. Not really based on any music, but the series theme song is Discombobulate by Hans Zimmer.

This is an art of the game I'm GMing right now, Mobile Guard Arm Unit Section One. Basically that game is a police procedural with fantasy mecha.

Yes, in that game, we have a ninja in hobo coat and one eyed cowboy cop fighting crime with steam-powered giant robot.

You can read our adventure in link
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-07-18 at 08:49 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

It's been a while since I painted something. This is a song drawing, like what I did with Eternity back then

This time it's based on Yuki Kajiura's "Where My Story Begins"
    Spoiler
    Show

It's Haru and Lia from Kasanip's "Travel and Tsukumogami" game from back then.

Not very good, but eh...
    It is nice picture and song. Sometime I want to show sketch of such a character.
    I wish the story could be continued somehow.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2011-07-19 at 07:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    It is nice picture and song. Sometime I want to show sketch of such a character.
    I wish the story could be continued somehow.
    Yeah, it's a shame, but I understand the circumstances back then.

And hey, the story is continued. Maybe it's not about them, but your comic is still there, right

Spoiler
    Show