New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Recording music on your PC

I was wondering what would you need to record music on your pc, I know I need microfones and a recording program. But I have no idea what the best setup is with the phones. And what's a good free recording program ( since being underage, and not really willing to have this long discussion with my parents if i could borrow their cards, since they wouldn't let me for this.) Currently we have a drum kit and a guitar, so what's the stuff needed?
    I can tell you so much that I honestly have no idea what to put in a signature here..

English is not my native, just so you don't jugde me to harsh

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Recording music on your PC

You can get a USB adapter that takes in a guitar cable and use that instead of going from the amp to the microphone. Should help with sound quality. I think that sort of adapter is in the $50 range.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Nice Ziggy Stardust avatar, mate.

I recommend looking into some Line 6 products. RiffWorks isn't TOO expensive, and will let you record anything that you can run through a guitar cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if you're cheap, most newer laptops and probably desktops (my HP laptop is about a year old) come with a built-in mic, and Windows Vista (and probably other OSes) has a Sound Recorder program. That's what I've used to record a couple of short tin whistle/bodhran duets by myself before. It's certainly not great quality, but it's also free.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Well I do have a singstar microphone I know works, no idea about quality however. And this guitar cable thing, I can plug it directly into the computer, or plug the amplifier? What about drums? What's a good way to record there? We usually use my friends laptop, with built in mic, nothing great ( you can hear the quality here I know I suck at singing, and we were mostly messing around with the instruments )
    I can tell you so much that I honestly have no idea what to put in a signature here..

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

From my many and painful experience:
    Get a cheap USB to XLR interface and a cheap (lower shure product range) Mic, plug 'em in, put the mic in the middle of the room and start rolling. Record all this with Audacity, and don't be disappointed if it sounds like crap.

Alternatively you can spend (at least) 1k on equipment with barely better results or 2k to get to the lower end of good sounding recordings. You don't really need top of the line equipment to record, but you need a lot of equip, especially for drums.
    If you're willing and able to spend that kind of cash, PM me and I'll give you some pointers on what you need and where to get it, but seriously I'd recommend practising some songs, recording them with the aforementioned crappy setup and use the 2k (or more) to get a week in a professional studio.

After all, to get good recordings, it's not enough to record something, but you've got to mix and master it, have to know about phase adjustment, noise gating and the whole shebang.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Here's a list of some free multitrack software.

http://www.pcmus.com/Free-Software.htm

Not having used any of these, Kristal looks fairly useful.

If you want to spend a little money later, n-tracks is fully featured shareware for $64 that does nearly as much as $600+ programs.

http://ntrack.com

To get the sound INTO the computer, anything that will get sound into the microphone port will work, but for good sound, you want a separate mixer box of some kind. That way you can plug any kind of microphone or instrument into it (sometimes more than one at the same time) and then send a nice clean signal to the software.

This page has examples (of American brands and prices).

http://www.nextag.com/audio-mixer/search-html

Visit a local music equipment store and ask for their basic mixers, you should be able to get what you need for less than 50 Euros just to start. A decent microphone and a cable for around the same price (really nice ones are over 100 Euros).

Any questions?
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2009-07-29 at 01:18 AM.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm, some good suggestions here, however I think we will need to practice, and at least play some gigs before going into a recording studio, and some better songwriting. Working on this song that begins to sound descent. I consider it a mix of grunge-hard rock- and Eric Clapton like guitar sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Nice Ziggy Stardust avatar, mate.

And thank you :) Not me that did it though :S
    Last edited by Jinura; 2009-07-29 at 08:23 AM.