New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Twilight - Love it, or Hate it?

Ok, so other vampires sparkle IN the light others, Edward sparkles, IN the sunlight but independently from the light.

As for the Nosferatu comment, im still trying to figure out if the person who mentioned it means that the movie its self sparkles in the light.

I have it on DVD, so, yes, my copy of the movie does sparkle
    ...Now your just shooting in the dark taking metaphorical, and allegory uses of the word "Sparkle", and using literary wrongness to transmorgrify it.

A glint in ones eye being defined as "Sparkle" is not something that is to be taken in a literal sense.

The sheen of ones coat against the street light as you pass down the street is not sparkle.

Please, think of the writers, and stop abusing their metaphors, and allegory statements.
    Last edited by Fan; 2009-07-06 at 12:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Ok, you're obviously not trying to actually hold an intelligent conversation.
    Oh its QUITE clear.

If only I could decide WHEN sparkly is METAPHORIC and when its LITERAL.

All of the other sparkles are dependt on the light to light them.

Unlike Edward, who sparkles in the light.

Read through the posts, at no time do I say anything Intelligent
    please excuse my splling, im dysgraic

3. - Top - End - #543

Quote Originally Posted by Night Surgeon View Post
    The sheen of ones coat against the street light as you pass down the street is not sparkle.
    Please, think of the writers, and stop abusing their metaphors, and allegory statements.
    But sparkling skin, again, is not the same type of metaphor or allegory (sorry im not sure what it would be) as the other authors?

GLOWING skin is a metaphor, but not sparkling skin...
    Last edited by lisiecki; 2009-07-06 at 12:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lisiecki View Post
    Oh its QUITE clear.

If only I could decide WHEN sparkly is METAPHORIC and when its LITERAL.

All of the other sparkles are dependt on the light to light them.

Unlike Edward, who sparkles in the light.

When Dracula's eye catches the light, and sparkles. That is to signify, to the reader, a moment of keen thought, or a development in the plot in which a new, cunning, idea has been formed.

Your going out of your way to take incorrect literary readings, and use them to support your own argument.

Also, yes it IS different. For at no time did even Anne Rice, or Bram Stoker ever mean for a consistent, direct literal, meaning of them SPARKLING in the light rather then CATCHING FIRE, AND DIEING. In fact it is EXPLICTLY stated, and used as a Plot Device that the sun causes horrible vampire death rather then sparkling.
    Last edited by Fan; 2009-07-06 at 12:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545

When Dracula's eye catches the light, and sparkles. That is to signify, to the reader, a moment of keen thought, or a development in the plot in which a new, cunning, idea has been formed.

Your going out of your way to take incorrect literary readings, and use them to support your own argument.

So... A person sparkling, or having sparkling skin, is never used to signify that a person is attractive, or has above average beauty?

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

But sparkling skin, again, is not the same type of metaphor or allegory (sorry im not sure what it would be) as the other authors?
    It would be metaphor, and no, it isn't. Edward explicitly states that he avoids sunlight because he shines and shimmers like a raver who overdosed on costume glitter when he's under its hateful, hateful light. Sparkling, blatant sparkling, is Meyer's explanation for why vampires detest sunlight. Ostensibly because she didn't want them to have an actual weakness or something, I don't know.

Your argument is pedantic in the extreme, and I have little trouble seeing why so many people would be annoyed with it. The bit that goes "Hahaha, Nosferatu is a movie, not a vampire, you stupid ignorant person. Using a colloquialism. How silly" is particularly grating.

7. - Top - End - #547

Bram Stoker ever mean for a consistent, direct literal, meaning of them SPARKLING in the light rather then CATCHING FIRE
    And at no point does Bram Stroker ever mention vampires catching fire in the sunlight.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

So... A person sparkling, or having sparkling skin, is never used to signify that a person is attractive, or has above average beauty?
    It's not supposed to be literal, and to say it is, is to be ENTIRELY incorrect. Bram Stoker meant it to mean a gleam of thought, or a gleam of fabric, NOT A SPARKLING OF SKIN. Steaphine Meyer DOES mean it literally, and uses it to say "My vampires are so Mary Sue, they get SEXIER in the Sunlight. SQUEE! <3"

9. - Top - End - #549
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes.

It's quite simple, really. Edward's skin is described as having a supernatural luster which actually reflects light. Twilight vampires literally sparkle under sunlight. It's their 'weakness,' I suppose.

Other vampires do not. The passages you've cited from other works have described the inhuman appearance of vampires in round, metaphorical terms, as best as words can convey. Similes and metaphors use comparisons, which seems to be a concept you're conveniently ignoring.

If I describe a character as having "eyes alight," would you insist that the person's eyes were actually on fire?

Saying that a pregnant mother "glows," would you believe she actually sheds light?

You're essentially using bullheaded literalism to prove an ass-backward point.
    Last edited by Catch; 2009-07-06 at 12:35 PM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Isn't the "explanation" for vampire sparkling in Twilight that they have diamond-skin or something?
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't the "explanation" for vampire sparkling in Twilight that they have diamond-skin or something?
    No, no, no, no.

The moronic, and absolutely fatuous reason is that they have 2 extra chromosomes.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

No, no, no, no.

The moronic, and absolutely fatuous reason is that they have 2 extra chromosomes.
    I remember seeing something about the 2 extra chromosomes.

I just thought that specifically, their skin had diamonds studded in it or something

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember seeing something about the 2 extra chromosomes.

I just thought that specifically, their skin had diamonds studded in it or something
    While I'm uninformed about the nature of the diamonds/skin, I do know that according to Stephanie Meyer (Her words, not mine), her vampires also work entirely by biology, and physics. Which if we are to take Word of God as it is said, that means all of her vampires have Downs Syndrome.

14. - Top - End - #554

Using a colloquialism. How silly" is particularly grating.
    Yes when I make a mistake, its cool to all jump on the bandwagon.
    Some one else say something thats wrong, its grating.

Thats cool, Clear and Present Danger was a great spy hunter, It sure did buy me when the IRA came after Clear and Present Dangers kid when he was named Patirot Games.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch View Post

If I describe a character as having "eyes alight," would you insist that the person's eyes were actually on fire?

Saying that a pregnant mother "glows," would you believe she actually sheds light?

You're essentially using bullheaded literalism to prove an ass-backward point.
    And yet, if some ones skin ig sparkling you say that it IS literal

Ok so apparently Im grating, and don't know how to read, and have at no point, at all made any intelligent arguments.

Guess that's it for me.

I have now learned that ALL glowing and sparkling is not literal, except for the vampires in twilight, there sparking IS literal

I am sorry to all that you have had to waste your time with my grating, moronic and illiterate statements.

I guess that's all for me.

15. - Top - End - #555

And yet, if some ones skin ig sparkling you say that it IS literal
    If it's described as actually reflecting light, yes. If it's used as an allegory to illustrate beauty, no.

You just choose not to recognize the difference.

I have now learned that ALL glowing and sparkling is not literal, except for the vampires in twilight, there sparking IS literal
    That's a pretty weak Parthian shot, and shows that you really haven't listened to anyone.

It's not that the rules of literature warp around Twilight, it's that in Stephenie Meyer described her vampire characters as having skin that reflects light. Other authors did not.
    Last edited by Catch; 2009-07-06 at 01:00 PM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes when I make a mistake, its cool to all jump on the bandwagon.
    Some one else say something thats wrong, its grating.

Thats cool, Clear and Present Danger was a great spy hunter, It sure did buy me when the IRA came after Clear and Present Dangers kid when he was named Patirot Games.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosferatu_(word)

I'm really not sure what it is you're trying to prove here. 'Nosferatu' is a popularized word meaning 'vampire' with shady etymology. If people want to use it to mean such, they are well within their rights to do so, and are in fact correct. Yes, it is also a movie. But if someone says "Nosferatu didn't sparkle", the appropriate correction is, "Nosferatu don't sparkle", being that it is, presumably, a plural noun. To repeatedly berate them by asking whether or not they meant a DVD is not clever. It's asinine.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

They could be referring to the specific nosferatu of said movie as simply Nosferatu.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I think Patriot Games is a pretty cool guy. eh saves the Prince and doesn't afraid of anything.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-07-06 at 02:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, Down's Syndrome is caused by having a single extra copy of a specific chromosome (the 23rd). An extra copy of any other chromosome (aside from #7) causes the fetus to immediately self-terminate. Even apart from that, the extra chromosome renders the individual infertile - odd number means that gametogenesis cannot occur. An extra pair? At the very least, it's a different species and thus not biologically capable of breeding with a human.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is much to love and hate about the Twilight series. I was originally a huge critic of the series but then my sister pointe dout that I hadn't read the books. So after reading them I have to say parts of the books still bother me, alot.
    For example Bella should be a much stronger character. In a world where vampires and werewolves duke it out women shouldn't be puchovers and Bella is. She constantly needs men to validate her; the only time she is alone she goes all comatose.
    I don't like that vampires sparkle, I really don't. I think its like a spit in the face to Dracula, Nosforatu etc... On the other hand I do like the fresh view of vampires and that they are not constrained by old stereotypes and storylines.
    I think the description of Native society is superb especially the balance of ancient traditions and a modern world (even if the Natives in ths book become werewolves).
    Finally I am not a fan of the whole love story. It seemed almost too easy. yes vampires,werewolves, and a lust for blood got in the way but ithey never seemed to be serious threats. Even when Bella is dumped the reader knows it is eventuality that they will get back together. The relationship was too unreal, to eerily perfect to be relatable (Maybe that's what Stephanie Meyer was going for I mean they are vampires).

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

No, no, no, no.

Are you sure it isn't just one extra chromosome? That would explain so much.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Colossus in the Playground

So... Just to make sure I have this right. All of these other references are metaphorical and the Twilight vampires sparkling IS NOT a metaphor.
    Yep. I'm glad you understood my explanations

I recommend that you study as much English (or equivalent) and Literature as you can.

mangosta71: Those foetuses must terminate so we're not overrun with VAMPIRES! =O

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Yep. I'm glad you understood my explanations

I recommend that you study as much English (or equivalent) and Literature as you can.

mangosta71: Those foetuses must terminate so we're not overrun with VAMPIRES! =O
    Obviously, project tiny vampire slayer went well.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

24. - Top - End - #564

Hey um, I'm going to go out on a line here, and just say that twilight is bad. Why argue about it: enough said. Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it is wrong.

(I'm very proud to have not finished the first book, even though I made an attempt. The skin sparkling in the sun prettily being juxtaposed with Wazisname saying "This is the body of a monster" Was just to much for me.)
    This text is yellow.
    Spoiler
    Show

TUBATAR!

Why? Because tuba is the awesomeness.

25. - Top - End - #565

I hate Twilight like Doom hates Richards.

Like Cap hates Nazis.

Like Batman hates crime.

Like GlaDos hates cake.

Like Mal hates the Alliance.

Like Inigo Montoya hates daddy murderers.

Like Belkar hates life.

Like the world hates Perez Hilton.

I hate Twilight.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

26. - Top - End - #566
    Colossus in the Playground

But... GLaDoS doesn't hate cake, and I think Belkar's quite enjoying his life
    Or are you saying, you hate Twilight inconsistently?

27. - Top - End - #567

Sorry, I meant like Belkar hates all OTHER life, excluding himself.

My GlaDos slip-up is meant to embody the fact that there are always exceptions to the rule, which in this case represents the one good thing I found about Twilight, namely Kristen Stewart. Or maybe it was just a slip-up. The truth shall never be known.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

I thought you people might enjoy this
    Even as a Twilight...fan is too hard a word. Er.
    Even as a Twilight-semi-fan, this made me lawl.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

29. - Top - End - #569
    Pixie in the Playground

I love twilight.

Taking into account that I've never actually *seen* one of the books (apart from covershots on the interwebs) and my only contact with the movie was through it being the page 1 of a cinema programme (I remember reading the title, reading the tagline and thinking "That actually has to be a good movie, I can't see it being page 1 with the plot that is outlined here, so it has to have some merit!")) you might consider that a bigger stretch than this sentence.

What I do love it the good satire it brings forth, I now know everything important about Belle, Edward, Meyer's silblings and "sparkling vampire dental cesarian intersections committed while the subject is vomiting a fountain of blood".

Also the unbeliveable unbeliveable comments (and the ammont of them) the writers of the aforementioned satire earn crack me up to no end. You'd think there can only be so much stereotype all-capital-letters bad grammar fangirl-dom "Let us read our books we have a right to read what we want you have no right to talk bad about what we like." contained on one site? Think again. I can't even tell whether the fact that it's nigh impossible to exaggerate this is funny or sad.
    Last edited by Nicodamus; 2009-07-08 at 12:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Orc in the Playground

I tried to read the series but I had to stop to prevent my eyes from falling off. I think that my reasons for not liking it (an abusive relationship presented as "tru luv, lol", the stalking, pedophillia, sparkles, the shallow characters and various biological impossibilities etc) have already been explained.

Now, can someone please explain how it's possible to grow two extra chromosomes because you've been bitten by a discoball? And how is it viable? Aren't you supposed to suffer from some serious malformations if you have extra chromosomes?

Also, am I the only one who goes berserk when hearing fangirls who declare it "t3h best b00k seriez EV0R"?