Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Sweet tea and bitter wood...

Cricketman

Small Monstrous Humanoid (psionic)
    Hit Dice: 4d8+16 (34 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (clumsy)
    Armor Class: 18 (+3 dex, +2 luck, +2 natural, +1 size), touch 16, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/-1
    Attack: Slam +8 melee (1d4-1) or sling +8 melee (1d3-1)
    Full attack: 4 slams +8 melee (1d4-1) plus bite +6 melee (1d4-2 plus poison) or sling +8 melee (1d3-1)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Ki strike, poison, psi-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Blacktea, darkvision 60 ft., deadwood dread, glide, jademind, luck of the cricket, natural camouflage, naturally psionic, one with his surroundings
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 16, Wis 22, Cha 8
    Skills: Autohypnosis +17, Climb +7, Concentration +12, Jump +7, Knowledge (nature) +14, Listen +9, Profession (gardener) +13, Spot +9, Survival +15, Swim +7
    Feats: Iron Will, Weapon Finesse(B), Up the Walls
    Environment: Any mountains
    Organization: Solitary or school (3-8 cricketmen)
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Always True Neutral or Neutral Good
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +5

The cricketman is a hideous looking creature that nevertheless is fascinating to look upon. Its body is alike to that of a giant cricket's, with a light dull green color to an olive so dark as to be almost black. Its carapace, instead of being hard and rigid like a true cricket's, appears merely thick and leathery and possessed of great flexibility. His four long legs are multi-jointed, ending in small grasping talons. The body then rises vertically, spourting four arms, a pair able to touch the ground, and a somewhat thinner pair going up the lean torso. Its arms have two elbos and six fingers with naturally thickened skin covering in the palm.

Whats most disturbing is the nearly human visage upon an extended neck. Its head is very much humanoid, with only an odd triangular pattern of thickened skin going from forehead and down its back. The eyes are small and slanted and completely black with a solemn, serious look. It has no nose, but where it would sprounts two long anntennae that droop nearly to the ground. The mouth is overly large and appears unhinged, with extremely sharp edges for nipping.

Cricketman are an oddity, but a normally harmless one, living peacably within vast, beautiful gardens in higher elevations, preferably with a nearby waterfall and stream. These gardens are planted by the cricketman and express many things, most so complex or involved or so deeply personal that few non-cricketmen can puzzle it out. A rock here, a bush there, a particular shade of flower, all have some meaning that forms a part of the harmony of the garden. Cricketman tend to remain here for most their lives, walking in deep contemplation or planting and nuturing and gradually expanding their locale.

This period is only interupted by their mating journeys once a century. At this point their wings grow out, allowing them to take flight for one of the few instances in their life. This takes several weeks, allowing them to prepare for their departure. As they fly for their destination their minds slowly weaken and eventually become driven purely by instinct. Hundreds if noth thousands of cricketman then gather in the hidden breeding grounds, sometimes weeks of day and night journeying from their homes. While all are arriving the nearby countryside is stripped of vegetation and the masses brought together. The mating frenzy then starts and lasts for several days. Every cricketman, which are genderless, then lay their eggs within the vegetation. As their reason returns most choose to leave back for their gardens. A few however remain to protect the collective eggs, wrapping them in ceremonial birthing sashes of silk and burying them within the gathered foliage. Those that hatch several years later are almost identical, albeit much smaller, versions of the parent. These that remain choose out the brightest and closest in personality to itself to raise and teach specially. Those who have returned to their gardens must now travel on foot to collect their charges. Though there is much affection between master and pupil, the relationship is much more that of teacher and student. They consider the training of their charges one of their greatest joys, and so despite the treacherous journey required, they are eager to make it. The journey back is slow, for the pupil is not strong, but by the time the garden has been reached most have matured and are now wise to the ways of the world through both experience and teachings. The pupils remain until they are ready to seek out their own garden spot. Blessings are given from the student to the master, verbal and material, such as seeds and tools and other gifts that will aid them once they reach their destination.

Cricketman only rarely associate with other races whom seek out Cricketmen for their knowledge. Occassionally a cricketman will accept a student not of his race, but only if he has no others remaining. Even then this outsider is given tests to see if he is worth the effort.

However, before a cricketman will speak with anyone they must first have tea together. That which is served is rather poisonous to other species, though it is severely watered down for the visiter. The cricketman expects them to share this tea despite its toxicity, and if his visiter is unable to tolerate it or incapable of healing himself, an antidote can be concocted easily by the cricketman. If the visiter refuses to drink the cricketman will refuse to speak with him. No matter how the visiter pleads the cricketman simply ignores him. If however the visiter becomes violent the cricketman will protect himself and his garden if need be.

Cricketmen do not sleep but go into a trance several times day or night for an hour or so at a time. They are pure vegetarians though disdain fruit, instead focusing on the lush leaves of their gardens, many of which would cause severe stomach upset amongst other races.

Cricketmen live, on average, roughly as long an elf. They speak Rrit, their native language, composed of both spoken sylabbles and those from vibrating certain membrances along the edges of their lower bodies. Occassionally another tongue is learned, but it is an uncommon exception. They stand about four feet tall and weigh from 50 to 80 lbs.

Combat
    Cricketmen engage in a great many exercises that taxes both body and mind, but despite this they are naturally pacifistic. Only to defend themselves, their students, or their garden, will they resort to combat. They fight intelligently then, attempting to lead their opponent into traps or dangerous terrain while tampering with their sense through their natural mental powers. A cricketman, though no coward, will eventually submit if the alternative would be to die. They prefer to only incapacitate their opponents and drag them far from their lands if possible.

Blacktea (Ex):
    From their earliest age a Cricketman is given a tea brewed of bits of the most dangerous plants about. As they age the dosage is increased until they are completely immune to any kind of imbibed poison. They also gain a +2 bonus to ignore the affects of other poison types.

Deadwood Dread (Ex):
    A cricketman has an unusual weakness, that of non-living wood. Any exclusively wooden weapon that deals damage to a cricketman sickens him for as many rounds as the damage that was dealt. He may make a fortitude save to resist being sickened (DC equals 5 + damage dealt). Penalties from multiple blows from wooden weapons do not stack, though once the duration is over he may be sickened again. As well, while standing on a deadwood surface, he is sickened for the duration. These penalties stack with that from deadwood damage. Shoes or a mat is enough to negate his sickness from the surface.

A cricketman who is somehow imprisoned in a wooden object, such as as box or cage, is paralyzed.

Glide (Ex):
    A cricketman can use its wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. A cricketman glides at a speed of 30 feet (clumsy meuverability). Even if a cricketman's maneuverability improves, he can't hover while gliding. A cricketman can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
    If a cricketman becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair it instinctively manifests its catfall power, though otherwise falls normally.

Jademind (Su):
    Cricketmen are strangely difficult to spy upon and gains the benfits of the Escape Detection power as a 10th level manifester. As well, he also gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment. Lastly, a cricketman is immune to all sleep spells and effects.

Ki Strike (Su): A cricketman's unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. His unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.

Luck of the Cricket (Su):
    A cricketman is naturally lucky, and has a +2 luck bonus to Armor Class, initiatives, saves, and skill checks. This luck bonus stacks with any other luck bonus it may gain from another source. This bonus extends to any ally within 20 feet of the cricketman.

Natural Camouflage (Ex):
    A cricketman gains a +10 bonus to hide checks in forested locales.

Naturally Psionic: A cricketman gains 2 bonus power points.

One With His Surroundings (Ex):
    A Cricketman is naturally in tune with his surroundings, wherever he might go, and gains a +6 insight bonus to Climb, Jump, and Swim checks.

Poison (Ex): Bite, initial damage 1d6 Strength, secondary damage unconsciousness, DC 14 + Con modifier. As well, a cricketman may breathe upon an item made of alchemical silver, which immediately turns black and loses its properties.

Psi-like Abilities:
    At will/Catfall, Clairvoyant Sense, Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions, Synesthete; 3/day Call to Mind, Body Equilibrium, Psionic True Seeing, Precognition; 1/day Mass Cloud Mind, Remote Viewing. Manifester level 8th. Save DC's are Wisdom based.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ichzzu Tea

Meaning "Respectful Greeting" in the Rrit tongue, it is also known amongst other races as Cricketman's Black, Belly Reaper, and Death's Handshake. Brewed from the toxic foliage of certain ceremonial plants, it is part of the standard greeting ritual of the cricketman from their earliest years. Every morning when master and student meet they share a cup, honoring one another and the rising sun. It is, indeed, a punishment for a master to share none with his student, for it is meaning the master has been dishonored and will speak to him not until he has made amends. Likewise, visitors to a cricketman's garden must have tea before he will entreat with them. Visitors who are unable to tolerate it are quickly given an anti-toxin that negates any ill affects.

The standard daily tea of the cricketman deals 2d6 initial Constitution damage plus nausea for 1 round per point of damage and 1d6 secondary damage. Ingested DC 18.

Visitors are generally given only an extremely weakened version that deals 1 point of initial constitution damage, and 1d4 secondary damage plus nausea for 1 round per point of damage. Ingested DC 14.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-03-15 at 07:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Re: Sweet tea and bitter wood...

Why does he have poison?

Also, it seems like if he's going to try to lead attackers into traps, he should have Craft (Trapmaking). Unless these are just random traps lying around. ;)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Very nice, Vorpal Tribble. You should somehow integrate the Heroes of Gardening classes into this creature, because the fluff aspects are pretty obvious.

Also, is the sort-of low number of HP necessary?

EDIT: I saw the simu-ninja coming.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I finally remembered this account after two years. If I begin to get nostalgic, just snap me out of it. Don't worry, I don't expect you to remember me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

i second that notion

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dim_Lord
    Why does he have poison?

Also, it seems like if he's going to try to lead attackers into traps, he should have Craft (Trapmaking). Unless these are just random traps lying around. ;)
    He has poison because he's constantly eating poisonous plants and retaining the concentrated residue in his mouth.

As for traps, natural traps, such as snake dens, or vine-covered pits or across loose rocks, that kinda thing.

Also, is the sort-of low number of HP necessary?
    Actually, I didn't like how it was so high. They aren't very big yet they have more HP than a bull? But basically its to allow you to add on class levels. Monks and Psions/Psychic Warriors fit the best.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh dear.

It took me two readthroughs to understand why the monsterious psionic cricketer needs poison, why he hasn't got his bat, and why he's so worried about his tea when he hasn't had his lunch.

No useful feedback at all, I'm afraid. However I am tempted to create a Dire Cricketer.
    I've searched "I shall roam the Earth and my hunger shall know no bounds" but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waspsmakejam
    Oh dear.

It took me two readthroughs to understand why the monsterious psionic cricketer needs poison, why he hasn't got his bat, and why he's so worried about his tea when he hasn't had his lunch.

No useful feedback at all, I'm afraid. However I am tempted to create a Dire Cricketer.
    Err... eh?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Err... eh?
    Think he might have confused the sport and the insect.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Demented_One
    Think he might have confused the sport and the insect.
    Ah, I didn't know cricket had a bat. I can't say I've ever seen it played.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Ah, I didn't know cricket had a bat. I can't say I've ever seen it played.
    Cricket bats are made of solid willow and weigh about 3lbs. Here is a picture of a cricketer with a cricket bat. This may help you understand why I was so keen on the idea of a monsterious cricketer.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/may/14botham.jpg

Here is a fuller explanation of the game:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. The sides that's in are the ones with the bats, one each.

Each man that's in the side that's in, goes out, and when he's out, he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and out including the not-outs, that's the end of the game.

During the game, both sides go in for lunch and tea. That's why the tea only added to my confusion.
    I've searched "I shall roam the Earth and my hunger shall know no bounds" but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

*snickers*

Aren't their crickets, the insect, in Great Britain? I was basing all of this guy's stuff on an Oriental theme. Lucky crickets and tea and monk-like abilities and such.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Don't think crickets are native to the UK, too cool a climate for them perhaps?

I like this Cricketman concept, kinda Jiminy's evil twin with a fixation on tea. ;D

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are but they arent very big 2" at most or some such.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

14. - Top - End - #14

So they're vulnerable to nonliving wood, eh? Would that include, say... animate wood golems?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley
    Don't think crickets are native to the UK, too cool a climate for them perhaps?
    Hrmmm, dunno, we have them all through america, even in our northernmost states where it can get pretty bitter. For all I know though crickets could have been imported from Japan along with kudzu to plague us all.

Edit: Eh, well, Thiel says you got cricket runts, so I guess thats that ;)

So they're vulnerable to nonliving wood, eh? Would that include, say... animate wood golems?
    Was going to say yes, but then remembered that golems and the like are infused with positive energy, hence their ability to survive in anti-magic fields. So wood animated with life energy would be living wouldn't it? So by this thinking I'd say that wood golems wouldn't bother it. Now using telekinesis to 'animate' some wooden object would still work.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Great Sensei

Cricketman Monk 3, Fist of Zuoken 5
    Small Monsterous Humanoid (psionic)
    Hit Dice: 4d8+16 + 3d8+12 + 5d8+20 (101 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 50 ft. (6 squares), climb 50 ft., fly 60 ft. (clumsy)
    Armor Class: 26 (+4 dex, +1 intrinsic, +2 luck, +2 natural, +1 size, +6 wisdom), touch 24, flat-footed 22
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+4
    Attack: Unarmed Strike +13 melee (1d8-1) or sling +15 melee (1d3-1)
    Full attack: 4 unarmed strikes +13 melee (1d8-1) plus bite +13 melee (1d4-2 plus poison) or sling +15 melee (1d3-1)
    Special Attacks: Ki strike, poison, psi-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Blacktea, darkvision 60 ft., deadwood dread, evasion, flurry of blows, glide, jademind, luck of the cricket, natural camouflage, naturally psionic, one with his surroundings
    Saves: Fort +12, Ref +15, Will +16
    Abilities: Str 9, Dex 18, Con 19, Int 16, Wis 22, Cha 8
    Skills: Autohypnosis +25, Climb +19, Concentration +24, Jump +7, Knowledge (nature) +21, Listen +21, Profession (gardener) +21, Spot +21, Survival +15, Swim +13
    Feats: Deflect Arrows, Iron Will, Psionic Fist, Psionic Meditation, Stunning Fist, Unavoidable Strike, Up the Walls, Weapon Finesse(B), Zen Archery
    Challenge Rating: 13
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Level Adjustment: -

Combat

Blacktea (Ex):
    From their earliest age a Cricketman is given a tea brewed of bits of the most dangerous plants about. As they age the dosage is increased until they are completely immune to any kind of imbibed poison. They also gain a +2 bonus to ignore the affects of other poison types.

Deadwood Dread (Ex):
    A cricketman has an unusual weakness, that of non-living wood. Any exclusively wooden weapon that deals damage to a cricketman sickens him for as many rounds as the damage that was dealt. He may make a fortitude save to resist being sickened (DC equals 5 + damage dealt). Penalties from multiple blows from wooden weapons do not stack, though once the duration is over he may be sickened again. As well, while standing on a deadwood surface, he is sickened for the duration. These penalties stack with that from deadwood damage. Shoes or a mat is enough to negate his sickness from the surface.

A cricketman who is somehow imprisoned in a wooden object, such as as box or cage, is paralyzed.

Evasion (Ex): If the cricketman makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, he may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special, non-wood, monk weapons. She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

Glide (Ex):
    A cricketman can use its wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. A cricketman glides at a speed of 60 feet (clumsy meuverability). Even if a cricketman's maneuverability improves, he can't hover while gliding. A cricketman can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
    If a cricketman becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair it instinctively manifests its catfall power, though otherwise falls normally.

Jademind (Su):
    Cricketmen are strangely difficult to spy upon and gains the benfits of the Escape Detection power as a 10th level manifester. As well, he also gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment. Lastly, a cricketman is immune to all sleep spells and effects.

Ki Strike (Su): A cricketman's unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. His unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.

A cricketman is naturally lucky, and has a +2 luck bonus to Armor Class, initiatives, saves, and skill checks. This luck bonus stacks with any other luck bonus it may gain from another source. This bonus extends to any ally within 20 feet of the cricketman.

Natural Camouflage (Ex):

A Cricketman is naturally in tune with his surroundings, wherever he might go, and gains a +6 insight bonus to Climb, Jump, and Swim checks.

Poison (Ex): Bite, initial damage 1d6 Strength, secondary damage unconsciousness, DC 14 + Con modifier. As well, a cricketman may breathe upon an item made of alchemical silver, which immediately turns black and loses its properties.

Psi-like Abilities:
    At will/Catfall, Clairvoyant Sense, Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions, Synesthete; 3/day Call to Mind, Body Equilibrium, Psionic True Seeing, Precognition; 1/day Mass Cloud Mind, Remote Viewing. Manifester level 8th. Save DC's are Wisdom based.

Psychic Warrior Powers Known: (Power points 32; Manifester level 5th; Save DC 16 + power level):
    1st - Biofeedback, Compression
    2nd - Wall Walker, Body Adjustment
    3rd - Empathic Feedback

Still Mind (Ex): The cricketman gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.

17. - Top - End - #17

Very interesting, very flavourful -- but darn it all, waspsmakejam, now I keep thinking dire cricketer too! (And then you give them class levels, and you make a dire cricketer barbarian, and then you have very geeky jokes about certain Australian cricketers... ;D)

Incidentally, New Zealand's at a similar latitude to the UK, and they have this giant cricket called a weta... so no climate problems there.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine
    Incidentally, New Zealand's at a similar latitude to the UK, and they have this giant cricket called a weta... so no climate problems there.
    Yowza, lookit that bugger. Looks like a giant version of our camel crickets which fill up every basement and cave on the continent.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Would one of these activate Deadwood Dread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

20. - Top - End - #20

We do have insect crickets in the UK. But grasshoppers are far more common.

I am so sorry about yesterday, a horrible week at work had fried my brain and made me deeply silly.

Now I'm reading it properly, the Cricketman is rather good. I really like the Deadwood Dread bit.

21. - Top - End - #21

Weta are a wee bit tougher than crickets. Some species are even able to survive being frozen solid for several months.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One
    Would one of these activate Deadwood Dread?
    Heh, they are beyond dead into undeath. I'd definetely say it'd affect them.

Now I'm reading it properly, the Cricketman is rather good. I really like the Deadwood Dread bit.
    Thank ye :)

Weta are a wee bit tougher than crickets. Some species are even able to survive being frozen solid for several months.
    Thought that was just a frog trick. Sheesh. Just die like good little insects.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Sage Master

Cricketman Ardent 8
    Small Monsterous Humanoid (psionic)
    Hit Dice: 4d8+16 + 8d6+32 (94 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (clumsy)
    Armor Class: 18 (+3 dex, +2 luck, +2 natural, +1 size), touch 16, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+7
    Attack: Slam +15 melee (1d4-1) or sling +15 melee (1d3-1)
    Full attack: 4 slams +15 melee (1d4-1) plus bite +10 melee (1d4-2 plus poison) or sling +15 melee (1d3-1)
    Special Attacks: Ki strike, poison, psi-like abilities, psionics
    Special Qualities: Blacktea, darkvision 60 ft., deadwood dread, glide, jademind, luck of the cricket, natural camouflage, naturally psionic, one with his surroundings
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +16
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 16, Wis 24, Cha 12
    Skills: Autohypnosis +27, Climb +7, Concentration +21 (+23 while focused), Jump +7, Knowledge (nature) +23, Knowledge (psionics) +10, Listen +16, Profession (gardener) +18, Psicraft +8, Spot +16, Survival +18, Swim +7
    Feats: Extend Power, Iron Will, *Practised Manifester, Psionic Meditation, Weapon Finesse(B), Up the Walls
    Challenge Rating: 13
    Alignment: Always True Neutral or Neutral Good
    Level Adjustment: -

* From Complete Psionic

Combat
    Cricketmen engage in a great many exercises that taxes both body and mind, but despite this they are naturally pacifistic. Only to defend themselves, their students, or their garden, will they resort to combat. They fight intelligently then, attempting to lead their opponent into traps or dangerous terrain while tampering with their sense through their natural mental powers. A cricketman, though no coward, will eventually submit if the alternative would be to die. They prefer to only incapacitate their opponents and drag them far from their lands if possible.

Ardent Powers Known (88 power points; Manifester level 12th):
    1st - Chameleon, Know Direction and Location, Metaphysical Claw
    2nd - Animal Affinity, Psionic Scent, Serenity
    3rd - Time Hop, Touchsight
    4th - Metamorphosis

Primary Mantles
    Knowledge, Natural World

Secondary Mantles
    Repose, Time

Blacktea (Ex):

Deadwood Dread (Ex):

Glide (Ex):
    A cricketman can use its wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. A cricketman glides at a speed of 30 feet (clumsy meuverability). Even if a cricketman's maneuverability improves, he can't hover while gliding. A cricketman can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.

Jademind (Su):

Natural Camouflage (Ex):

Psi-like Abilities:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Ichzzu Tea

Meaning &quot;Respectful Greeting&quot; in the Rrit tongue, it is also known amongst other races as Cricketman's Black, Belly Reaper, and Death's Handshake. Brewed from the toxic foliage of certain ceremonial plants, it is part of the standard greeting ritual of the cricketman from their earliest years. Every morning when master and student meet they share a cup, honoring one another and the rising sun. It is, indeed, a punishment for a master to share none with his student, for it is meaning the master has been dishonored and will speak to him not until he has made ammends. Likewise, visiters to a cricketman's garden must have tea before he will intreat with them. Visiters who are unable to tolerate it are quickly given an anti-toxin that negates any ill affects.

The standard daily tea of the cricketman deals 2d6 initial Constitution damage plus nausea for 1 round per point of damage and 1d6 secondary damage. Ingested DC 18.

Visiters are generally given only an extremely weakened version that deals 1 point of initial constitution damage, and 1d4 secondary damage plus nausea for 1 round per point of damage. Ingested DC 14.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

At this point their wings grow out, allowing them to take flight for one of the few instances in their life. This takes several, allowing them to prepare for their departure.
    Several what?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone

Several what?
    Sorry, weeks. Added it into the main text.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Got it. You've done it again, VT, nice job. ;D

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Ok, I'm working on Cricketman racial levels. Does this look like a +0 or +1 to ya'll? The deadwood dread is a hefty weakness, so I'm hoping it balances out some things.

Cricketman Racial Traits

* -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma, +4 Wisdom: Cricketman are quick to respond to dangers, with a natural tie to their surroundings, but they are not very strong and they lack ambition and a strong sense of self.
    * Small: As a Small creature, a cricketman gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    * Cricketman base land speed is 30 feet.
    * Psi-Like Abilities: 1/day Catfall, Precognition, Synesthete.
    * Naturally Psionic: Cricketmen gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level.
    * Blacktea: A Cricketman gains a +4 bonus on saves against ingested poisons.
    * Luck of the Cricket: A cricketman is naturally lucky, and has a +2 luck bonus to Armor Class, initiatives, saves, and skill checks. This luck bonus stacks with any other luck bonus it may gain from another source.
    * Deadwood Dread: A cricketman has an unusual weakness, that of non-living wood. Any exclusively wooden weapon that deals damage to a cricketman sickens him for as many rounds as the damage that was dealt. He may make a fortitude save to resist being sickened (DC equals 5 + damage dealt). Penalties from multiple blows from wooden weapons do not stack, though once the duration is over he may be sickened again. As well, while standing on a deadwood surface, he is sickened for the duration. These penalties stack with that from deadwood damage. Shoes or a mat is enough to negate his sickness from the surface. A cricketman who is somehow imprisoned in a wooden object, such as as box or cage, is paralyzed.
    * Natural Camouflage: A cricketman gains a +10 racial bonus to hide checks in forested locales.
    * Automatic Languages: Rrit. Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan.
    * Favored Class: Ardent
    * Level Adjustment: +1

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

VT, is there a place where one could find ALL of your creations? If not, I'd like to find a way to get that done. Second, why aren't you writing for WotC?

Vulneratus, Non Victus

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dalcassius
    VT, is there a place where one could find ALL of your creations?
    Aye, VT's Creation Page
    Though be sure to note the Note about how some of them are really old and outdated.

Second, why aren't you writing for WotC?
    Not a clue how to go about it, though I'm seeing if I can get a few thigns submitted to Dragon magazine. That'd at least help my 'resume', as I'm not yet in college or even had but a couple small things of mine published.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-01-22 at 10:19 AM.