New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default She had the voice of an angel she did...

Alatessa (Angel In Faded Lace)

In the arms of an angel
    Fly away from here
    From this dark cold hotel room
    And the endlessness that you fear
    You are pulled from the wreckage
    Of your silent reverie
    You’re in the arms of the angel
    May you find some comfort there...

Medium Outsider (good, native)
    Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
    Initiative: +9
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 20 (+5 dex, +4 natural, +1 padded armor), touch 15, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+7
    Attack: +1 merciful dagger +10 melee (1d4+3 plus 1d6) or slam +11 (1d4+2 nonlethal)
    Full attack: 2 +1 merciful daggers +10 melee (1d4+3 plus 1d6) or 2 slams +10 (1d4+2 nonlethal)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: darkvision 60 ft., evasion, fast healing 5, immunity to poison and cold, indomitable spirit, low-light vision, resistance to fire and sonic 5, sobering touch, street smart, tongues, true seeing, unfamiliar face, voice of an angel
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 21, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 26
    Skills: Bluff +18, Diplomacy +22, Gather Information +18, Hide +13, Knowledge (local) +10, Listen +11, Move Silently +13, Perform +19, Sense Motive +13, Spot +11
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (perform), Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Sigil or Any urban
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral Good
    Advancement: 6-11 HD (Medium)
    Level Adjustment: +8

Her voice was like an angel it was, and eyes that looked right through me. They was sad, and looked near to crying, but then she gave me a smile that almost throw my heart for a loop. She didn't look like no high class broad, but I knew I was beneath her. Made me wanna become a new man I says to you, turn me over a new leaf, and I thinks I will, I thinks I will...

None are beyond redemption, none so sunk into the depths of despair that they cannot be reached. Such is the conviction of the alatessa, a celestial being whoes voice brings tears to the hardest of hearts.

An alatessa performs daily miracles. Possessed of astonishing humility, they are most often found in seedy taverns and dockside pubs where they bring hope and compassion to the very lowest of society through song and comfort. A palatessa considers none a lost cause and mingles freely amongst thugs and beggars, prostitutes and slaves, encouraging and aiding as she can.

From bar to bar, through alley and dock she walks, changing her appearance from time to time and beginning a new life once she has given as much aid as she can to an area.

Her standard guise is that of a beauty singed but not burnt by continuous struggle. A woman with the lines of hard living and sorrow having made their mark on an otherwise flawfless countenance. But their is a brightness in her eyes, a determined compassion and relentless joy that raises her above her toils it seems. Though she may dress in faded lace and thread-bare, thrice-patched dresses, she wears them like a queen, her crown the beaten hat upon her head, her subjects those who seek to rise above their strife.

Her natural appearance is of an almost ethereal, petite woman of white skin and the large, rosy red eyes of an albino with masses of dark, curly hair that puddles at her feet. These locks, if one watches closely, wave and undulate like a living thing. She is whiplash lean with accentuated muscles but nevertheless seems dainty and vulnerable.

An alatessa weighs around 100 lbs. and generally stands near five foot.

Combat:
    An alatessa only fights to protect others, using her abilities to calm situations and ease the hearts of those who oppose her. She will often visit and speak with her former victim, running into them numerous times through 'coincidence', in an effort to find what has brought them to their desperate acts.

An alatessa's natural weapons, as well as any weapons she wields, are treated as good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Empathy (Su): An alatessa can detect the surface emotions of any creature she can see within 60 feet. She can sense basic needs, drives, and emotions. Thirst, hunger, fear, fatigue, pain, rage, hatred, uncertainty, curiosity, friendliness, and many other kinds of sensations and moods can all be perceived.

This grants her a +2 insight bonus on any Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Sense Motive checks. She can discontinue this ability at will.

Evasion (Ex): An alatessa can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. If she is helpless does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Indomitable Spirit (Ex):
    An alatessa is immune to fear and demoralizing effects such as crushing despair. Anyone within 20 feet of an Alatessa also gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against these effects if she so wishes.

Spell-like Abilities:
    At will - Calm Emotions, Detect Evil, Spider Climb; 1/minute - Cure Light Wounds; 3/day - Break Enchantment, *Heart's Ease, Invisibility, Remove Curse. Caster level 5th. Save DC's are Charisma based.

*Found in the Book of Exalted Deeds

Sobering Touch (Su):
    The touch of an alatessa immediately neutralizes any poison and cures any drug addition, including intoxication from strong drink.

Street Smart (Ex):
    An alatessa cannot be flanked by any means and retains her Dexterity bonus to AC even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. She can also make a single spot and listen check as a free action every round.

Tongues (Su): An alatessa can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 5th). This ability is always active.

True Seeing (Su): Alatessas have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 5th).

Unfamiliar Face (Su): An alatessa can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. She can remain in any form until she chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but she reverts to her natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals her natural form.

Voice Of An Angel (Su): An alatessa's song duplicates the affects of an enthrall and good hope spell as cast by a 10th level caster for as long as she sings and for 1d4 minutes afterwards. The save DC's are Charisma based.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-06-15 at 01:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: She had the voice of an angel she did...

i like it
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I am not good at coding for quote boxes(need new skill points for that bit of learning),

but I noted that you refer to a true shape or form in the text That I couldn't find described anywhere.

Is there a base human appearance or is there an underlying angelic form? Either will work fine, I am just curious.

Also, are you thinking of higher level versions? Perhaps one who travels about in the company of cheating merchants, business owners, tradesmen and similar disenfrancised types who operate on the margins of a society. How about a courtier version as well to try to salvage the decadent and listless nobility from its own excesses?

8)
    " All reved up and no place to go!!" -ML

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfamiliar Face (Su): An alatessa can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. She can remain in any form until she chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but she reverts to her natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals her natural form.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reminds me of a Spider Robinson story "The Law of Conservation of Pain." Or is it just a coincedence that I just read that then this.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Well, I had forgotten to include a description of her natural form. There you go.

Reminds me of a Spider Robinson story "The Law of Conservation of Pain." Or is it just a coincedence that I just read that then this
    I've not read the book, so either way was unintentional ;)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_of_Zashrak
    Also, are you thinking of higher level versions? Perhaps one who travels about in the company of cheating merchants, business owners, tradesmen and similar disenfrancised types who operate on the margins of a society. How about a courtier version as well to try to salvage the decadent and listless nobility from its own excesses?
    Those character differences fall almost exclusively into the realm of personality -- which is morphable anyhow. As for higher levels? Add outsider HD or class levels if you wish. I'm sure VT won't mind.

Shadowy Goodness since 1892.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    Now we head around under the cover of night looking for threads that will most likely be locked, directing people to the new members thread, and fighting crime.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Her natural appearance is of an almost ethereal, petite woman of white skin and the large, rosy red eyes of an albino with masses of dark, curly hair that puddles at her feet. These locks, if one watches closely, wave and undulate like a living thing. She is whiplash lean with accentuated muscles but nevertheless seems dainty and vulnerable.
    Thanks. Are we approved to borrow this idea for our own campaigns?

The choice of the albino traits linked to the animated dark hair is a curious one. Any particular motivation for it?

" All reved up and no place to go!!" -ML

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Also, are you thinking of higher level versions?
    Sure, as mentioned I gave her improved HD, but she could also quite easily take charcter classes, Bard being the most obvious.

Thanks. Are we approved to borrow this idea for our own campaigns?
    All creatures I post are for use. All I request is that those who use them let me know how the encounter went.

The choice of the albino traits linked to the animated dark hair is a curious one. Any particular motivation for it?
    Well, my first character ever was an albino rogue, which sort of gave me the idea, though the hair, mmm, was thinking it basically being photosensitive, hence the reason she cannot be flanked.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Who would want to kill this one?

11. - Top - End - #11

evil NPCs, psychopathic murders...

in short, only Chaotic Evil characters who've gone off the deep end.

Nice character!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Your work is so fluffy, Tribble. ;)

My only beef is with the poem, actually: I don't think it scans properly.
    Hoseki is a woman with a plan.
    Doll Hoseki by Sneak:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steward
    Well, for example, it'd be quite easy for someone to try to have her killed and hire the players to catch this 'doppleganger' who is 'inciting rebellion and lawlessness' amongst those of his lower classes, in an attempt to 'overthrow' him.

Or maybe she has been mistaken with a reknowned thief in her current guise and doesn't know it, but the players are going to try to capture her.

Plenty of fun with this kinda thing. Or, if your running an evil campaign, yeah, what Gyrfalcon said.

My only beef is with the poem, actually: I don't think it scans properly.
    Its part of a song called 'Angel' by Sarah McLachlan that seemed to fit right with it.

Spend all your time waiting
    For that second chance
    For a break that would make it okay
    There’s always one reason
    To feel not good enough
    And it’s hard at the end of the day
    I need some distraction
    Oh beautiful release
    Memory seeps from my veins
    Let me be empty
    And weightless and maybe
    I’ll find some peace tonight

In the arms of an angel
    Fly away from here
    Of your silent reverie
    May you find some comfort there

So tired of the straight line
    And everywhere you turn
    There’s vultures and thieves at your back
    And the storm keeps on twisting
    You keep on building the lie
    That you make up for all that you lack
    It don’t make no difference
    Escaping one last time
    It’s easier to believe in this sweet madness oh
    This glorious sadness that brings me to my knees

In the arms of an angel
    Fly away from here
    Of your silent reverie
    May you find some comfort there
    May you find some comfort here

14. - Top - End - #14

Dude, your monsters make me wish I ran more campaigns. This alatessa is one more being you could base an adventure around. Do you ever make a mistake?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Azrad
    Dude, your monsters make me wish I ran more campaigns. This alatessa is one more being you could base an adventure around. Do you ever make a mistake?
    You could base an entire religion around that. One of these alatessas visits a small, rural community that's been shut off from the rest of civilization, does her thing, and they start worshipping her.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Do you ever make a mistake?
    No, never... though I've edited it about 15 times or so over the last several hours so I guess I may have made a few stnanks.

You could base an entire religion around that. One of these alatessas visits a small, rural community that's been shut off from the rest of civilization, does her thing, and they start worshipping her.
    Hrmmm, I don't think she'd go much for that. She'd probably end up being hung for trying to disperse the beliefs of her own worshippers :P

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

*adjusts a few more stnanks...*

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

First I thought you had made a mistake, then I noticed that it isn't an angel after all, and then I got sad because I can't use her. Anyway, you have done a good job.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

A celestial version of this really wouldn't be too hard to manage, I don't think.

I like this a lot, it's quite good.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

20. - Top - End - #20

Calm Emotions suppresses Good Hope. How can she have both at once?

Other than that, I like it. It's very good.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JackMann
    Calm Emotions suppresses Good Hope.
    Overlooked that one line.... grrr. Adjusted

(This is why I should stick to psionic creatures. I've not played enough mages to have spell details down pat :P )

22. - Top - End - #22

I already PMed this to Vorpal a while ago, but I figured I'd share it here. *Just something I wrote after reading the entry.
    ---------------------

I was only twenty-three, but I was already washed up.

I mean, it's hard enough for a half-orc to find work, but when yer back gives out, there ain't nobody wants ya. I scraped by as best I could, spendin' what I could on booze. Got to be a regular at the Rooster's Egg. That's where I met Copper.

Copper was a human. He was lots older than I was, an' I don't think anyone remembered the last time he'd had a job, least of all him. He was called copper on account that he was always beggin', "Copper, m'lord? " When he wasn't at the Egg, you could find him on a corner somewhere, beggin'. We got to be good buddies. At least, I bought him ale sometimes, an' he never called me stupid.

We had other buddies there at the bar. Bunko Bunry, he was a halfling an' a scam artist. Used to run Find the Lady, 'til somebody called him a cheat and stuck him with a longknife. I still see Longlegs sometimes, he's a human, tall'n skinny. He makes pots when he's sober. Harnki Knockhammer was a dwarf, o' course. Haven't seen him around, but I hear he's doin' okay. He drank heavy, but it takes a lot more'n the piss at the Egg t'make a lush of a dwarf.

Anyhow, I was there, drinkin' with my buddies, tryin'a get blind, when this lady walks in.

We never got ladies in. Oh, we got doxies sometimes, but never ladies. An' we could tell, this was a lady. The clothes she was wearin' weren't no better'n what we wore. They were barely a step up from Copper's, for cryin' out loud. But the way she stood, the way she moved, I half expected the king hisself to come up an' pay his respects. Bunko started t'say somethin' rude, but the words jus' died on his lips.

She smiled at us. Gods, that was a beautiful smile. I got up, an' I let 'er have my stool. I was only half a step behind Longlegs an' Harnki. She took the stool, an' sat down.

She looked up at Bandon, the barkeep, an' ordered water. Water! In a bar like that, she comes in an' orders water. He brings it to her, quick as a wink, almost droppin' the glass. He was nervous like it was his first time with a girl.

She drank the water, an' then she got up to the stage. Sometimes, we'd get a bard or someone in, but they usually figured out pretty quick we didn't have no money. None of 'em were any good anyways, but they could still do better than us.

She was good. Second she opened her mouth, we all four of us turned to look. Even Copper looked up. I don't remember the words. But I remember the song. She started off, it was slow, an' easy. Then the notes started gettin' longer, an' the song was gettin' sadder. I don't know what it was about, but I remember I kept thinkin' bout my mother. She left when I was five, an' I hadn't really thought about her since, but I sure did then. I kept thinkin' how much I wanted to see her again. An' then I thought about what she'd think o' me if she could see me, spendin' all my time drinkin', outta work most've the time, an' that made me sad. But... But then I thought, maybe it ain't too late...

I started thinkin' maybe it wasn't too late to start tryin' again. Her song picked up right about then. I started feelin', maybe I wasn't washed up. I thought that maybe I was good fer somethin' besides my back.

Then she finished singin'. I heard a sound beside me. I turned, an' there was Copper, cryin' like a baby. "It ain't no use, " he says. "It ain't no use. I can't do it, Goryn. " I didn't know what it was he couldn't do, but I guess now it was probably start over, like I was thinkin' of.

The lady came up behind us. "It's all right, " she says, touching us lightly on our shoulders. "You'll be all right. "

Soon as she touches me, somethin' happens. I felt all the drink leave me. My head was clear as the glass they got in the temple of Pelor. Copper looked like he'd been hit in the face with a hammer, an' cut off my legs an' call me a goblin if he didn't look sober. I'd never seen him sober before. Hungover, sure, but never all the way sober. But there wasn't nothin' drunk in his face.

She turned to leave. Copper an' me, we both got up. We had t'know what she did to us. 'Sides, this was back when all those girls were turnin' up dead. We didn't want nothin' to happen to her.

So we follow her. Not like secret or nothin', she knew we was there. We were right behind her. She didn't say nothin'. Finally, I asks her, "Lady, what'd ya do to us? I ain't drunk no more. "

She says to me, "I just gave you a helping hand. " She speaks like a lady too, did I tell ya that? Real pretty voice, even when she wasn't singin'. She keeps on, "It's not too late, you know, " an' here I know she's talkin' to Copper. "It's never too late. "

We didn't talk anymore for a bit. I was thinkin' about it. I finally asks her, "Lady, " I asks, "Are you an angel? " An' then I turn away, gettin' red. I knew angels weren't for the likes o' me an' Copper.

But she doesn't laugh or get angry. She just says, "Not exactly. I'm just someone who helps people. " Then she stiffens, like she'd saw a ghost. I looked around, but I didn't see nothin'. But a second later, we hear somethin' from the alley.

It weren't a scream. If it had been, maybe the guards woulda come. But it wasn't much more'n a squeak. If it hadn't been so quiet, what with everybody stayin' home back then, we prob'ly wouldn't've heard it.

The lady, she turns, an' looks into an alley. We do too. An' that's when we saw him.

He wasn't that tall. I mean, he wasn't a halfling or a gnome or nothin' like that. Just not that tall fer a human. Maybe five foot an' a bit. He was kinda skinny, too. Looked like he might've been, I dunno, a scribe or somethin'. I mean, he looked dead normal. You would've looked right past 'im on the street.

But there was a body layin' on the ground, an' you could see the blood drippin' down from his mouth. It didn't take a genius to figger out who did it.

Now, if it'd just been Copper an' me, we would've just ran. I mean, if it'd been us before we met the lady. We weren't heroes or nothin'. Just a coupla drunks. But there was the lady, an' she was already walkin' up to the guy.

So me an' Copper, we go up too. I notice, then, I notice that the body on the ground, it's still movin'. It's a woman, all dolled up like a doxie. An' we knew we couldn't just let the guy kill her. I mean, that ain't right. An' in the Alms district, we take care of our own, y'know?

The lady, she pulls out these daggers she was carryin'. She says, "Let her go. Please, let her go. "

The guy, he don't take too kindly t'that. He snarls, an' he's got fangs, like he's a snake or somethin'. They were as long as an elf's thumb, maybe. He jumps at her, an' they start fightin'.

Me an' Copper, we ain't sure what t'do. I mean, we wanna help the lady, but they're movin' like a coupla ferrets or somethin', they're that fast. The lady knew how to fight pretty good, an' she was really cuttin' into 'im with those daggers of hers. But he was quick too, an' every time he hit her, she seemed to get a bit slower.

Copper suddenly gives out a shout, an' he charges the bastid. He picked up a cobblestone as he went, an' he starts hittin' him as hard as he can. I never saw anythin' like it. He fought like he was an animal or somethin'. The skinny guy, he actchally falls back a bit, from the lady. But then he hits Copper real hard, he does, an' copper flies into a bunch o' barrels. Then he turns back to the lady.

I run to Copper, but he ain't lookin' too good. He hit the wall pretty hard, an' he don't say nothin' when I ask him how he's doin'.

The lady, she's doin' pretty bad herself. I could tell she was gonna need some help, so I pick up one of the bits from the barrels, an' I run at the guy.

I didn't quite unnerstand what happened then. The bastid turns when he hears me comin', but he ain't quick enough t'stop me jammin' that piece of wood into 'is chest. He jerks back, an' the wood goes with him, an' he just falls back like one o' those puppets the street performers use, when its strings've been cut. I stare at 'im, an' then I stomp on 'is head a coupla times to make sure.

The lady, she's about to collapse. The doxie finally stands up. She was in shock, I could tell. But they were both gonna make it, I could tell. I had to look at Copper.

I could tell pretty quick that it wasn't gonna be good news. He looked broke as bad as the barrels. He looks up at me, an' he says, "Goryn, " he says, "Did we do it? "

"Yeah, " I says. "We did it. " I put my hand unner his head, an' don't let go until after he stops breathin', an' a minute after that.

I left him an' the skinny guy there in the alley. I felt a bit bad on that, but what was I gonna do? I couldn't pay to get him buried, an' the two women, they were still alive. They needed me more. I carried the lady home, an' the doxie, whose name is Rennie, follows, leanin' on me. I patch her up as good as I can when I get to the inn I was stayin' at. The lady I put in my bed. The doxie slept on chair with my jacket over her. Me, I sleep on the floor.

When I woke up, the lady was gone. Rennie was fixin' me breakfast, an' asked if she could stay for a while. I said sure.

The guard found Copper an' the guy, who they said was a vampire. Everybody figured Copper was the one what killed him, an' I never said different. I mean, it should've been Copper. He was the brave one, when we was in the alley. So he got to be a hero. The clerics, they was gonna bring him back, but it didn't work. They said it meant he must be happy where he is. I'm glad fer that. They ended up buryin' him in the graveyard near the palace, next to all the nobs. I bet he woulda laughed if he knew.

After that, I didn't know what t'do with myself. I didn't want booze anymore. When I went to Copper's wake at the Egg, I didn't drink anything, not even when Bandon gives us all a round on th'house.

My back didn't hurt no more, an' I guess th'lady took care of that, so I thought about gettin' my old job back. But it just didn't seem important. I mean, I wanted to do somethin' that would make the lady proud of me. That would make Copper proud o' me, y'know? So I joined the guard. It's a good job, an' I get t'help people. They didn't wanna half-orc at first, but I kept at it, an' they finally let me in. I made corporal last month. I like to think this is what the lady would've wanted.

Rennie felt the same. She figgered the lady saved her for a reason. Me, I think she would've saved anyone, but I don't say nothin'. It makes Rennie feel good. She does work for the temple of Pelor these days, helpin' them give alms out t'folks who ain't got much. We're gettin' married soon.

So if ya see a lady with a real pretty voice, who makes you feel like you can start again, you tell her Goryn Tanner said thanks. For everything.
    Last edited by Jack Mann; 2011-03-14 at 12:48 PM.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I already PMed this to Vorpal a while ago, but I figured I'd share it here. Just something I wrote after reading the entry.

Thank you for sharing that. It is beautiful.

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Steward
    Good that pure should be destroyed. No mortal could hope to live up to that standard - so it is wrong for such a creature to flaunt perfection. It's demeaning and degrading to those who must struggle to reach a modicum of moral decency.

Yes. The abomination must die.

This would be the reasoning of many PCs I've run.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I already PMed this to Vorpal a while ago, but I figured I'd share it here. Just something I wrote after reading the entry.
    Very touching...you're an excellent writer...
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

*applauds JackMann's story once more as he reads it*

I'll say it again, that was great :)

Good that pure should be destroyed. No mortal could hope to live up to that standard - so it is wrong for such a creature to flaunt perfection. It's demeaning and degrading to those who must struggle to reach a modicum of moral decency.
    Bah, those players should be sauteed then. She's not even trying to make them live up to any kind of standard. Just giving them hope and an idea that they have the power to improve themselves and their life. They can still take it or leave it.

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfClericGuy

It was a very good read. Nicely done, JackMann. :)

28. - Top - End - #28

Couple of questions, Tribble:

Why does the Alatessa's slam attacks do non-lethal damage, and are they primary or secondary natural attacks? (to determine the effects of a higher STR, 1.5 or 1 * STR bonus, and use of slams in a full attack at BAB or -5).
    Why Native Outsider? This one has the feel of a True Outsider, what with the set abilities (rather than a race with class levels) and the advancement by HD.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Why does the Alatessa's slam attacks do non-lethal damage, and are they primary or secondary natural attacks?
    They do non-lethal because she has fists basically like a human which unless they have special feats always do non-lethal. Despite this they are primary attacks when she's not wielding a knife.

Why Native Outsider? This one has the feel of a True Outsider, what with the set abilities (rather than a race with class levels) and the advancement by HD.
    Because they are basically stuck on the Material Plane and do all their work here. They can't teleport for example nor get into the politics and whatnot of the outter planes. Think of them as permanent missionaries.

Couatl's for example are native outsiders who can advance by HD and have a good deal of powers and special abilities.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    They do non-lethal because she has fists basically like a human which unless they have special feats always do non-lethal. Despite this they are primary attacks when she's not wielding a knife.
    Then why not just make them unarmed strikes? If they're similar to unarmed strikes, then they should be doing d3 and provoking op attacks to use, and if they're slam attacks then the Alatessa can use them both in addition to her weapon attacks at her full BAB (since they're primary), and they should be doing STR*1.5 damage...
    Also, how is she doing 2 dagger attacks at that high an attack bonus? She should be taking massive penalties for TWF without the feats?

Heh, sorry if I'm being annoying, the idea of the character is brilliant, just if it's going to be used in combat, I tend to be finicity about it (and I do like the idea of it quite a lot...a pity my players are nowhere near a city right now).