New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Question Epic Inside Scrying and Roy

So we've seen that Roy is able to scry on the events that are happening in the world, to the level of penetrating Cloister and such. We also know that he expects to be raised.

Let's assume that he remembers everything that happened while he was dead when he's raised (an assumption which we'll see if it's true or not in a few strips).

Why isn't he then using the time for reconnaisance, like he intended to do with the Oracle? Hang around Xykon, pick up clues to their plans and magic items and spells and possible hints of dissension in the ranks and stuff like that? Or head to Girard's Gate and scope through details there? Any small bit of information could be useful in the future, and certainly more useful than looking at Haley's and Durkon's exploits, given that they'll tell him when he's raised anyway.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Inside Scrying and Roy

Two Reasons.

First is the BS "Leave Me Alone" answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Q: In Strip #X, why didn.t character Y take action Z? If they had done so, they could have avoided a whole lot of trouble.

A: You just answered your own question. The strip is ABOUT the trouble these characters get in; if a tactic would result in an effortless solution to their latest problem, there would be little point in showing it, see? The characters are woefully inefficient as a result, and often take actions that are rarely seen in a real D&D game, like running away from moderate danger or .forgetting. major abilities for the sake of a joke. But their foibles are what fuel the humor.
    Second: It would require spending time with his dad, who probably won't want to help him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

He probably doesn't believe he can find out much more in the next 10 minutes than he already has in the several months he's been dead...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I highly doubt Roy will have much more than vague memories of his afterlife, except these words will be burned in his brain (because of magic, duh):
    "Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - before the end of the year.", as well as a vague idea how to gain the feat that Horace taught him.

I mostly think this because:
    *OtOoPCs SPOILER:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eugene had died a few times and came back and still needed to be told the Blood Oath prevented him from entering Celestia when he finally kicked it from age, though this might have been because Myrtok got to him before the Celestial Bureaucrat.
    *D&D Res spells pretty explicitly say they lose memories of their afterlife when raised.
    *It's more dramatic this way.

On the Other Hand:
    *Not losing his memories makes us following his afterlife more impactful to the story.
    *It lets one of the order (probably Haley) ask him the very question asked in this thread.
    "That was so terrible I think you gave me cancer!"

5. - Top - End - #5

Will Roy try to protect Belkar? He's a companion... and he's condemned to die!
    Last edited by Souhiro; 2009-06-15 at 09:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dalenthas View Post
    *D&D Res spells pretty explicitly say they lose memories of their afterlife when raised.
    I doubt it's that way in Stickverse.

-In OtOoPCs, Eugene remembers being resurrected repeatedly by his cleric brother Myron.
    -The nameless adventurer here seems to remember being dead before.
    - It would make this comic pretty irrelevant.
    - There's also the matter of Roy's new sword technique.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2009-06-15 at 10:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Also wasn't there some catch requring him to focus on the person he wanted to scry on. I assume that like the scry spell, teleport and other such magic you need a pretty good idea of who/what your scrying on for the spell to be effective. He knows nothing about what Girrards Gate looks like, especially as the gates so far are completely different to one another

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Another thing that we're overlooking here is the fact that Roy isn't thinking "Huh, I'm a ghost. This is a perfect time to gather information on my enemies." He appears to be thinking [which would be more normal] "I hope I get resurrected soon, and I'm going to watch my body until that happens."

If YOU were a disembodied spirit, would you want to leave the vicinity of your body if you had the choice? [It's also possible that he might not be able to leave the proximity of his body and/or the sword].

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    Second: It would require spending time with his dad, who probably won't want to help him.
    Eugene didn't want to help Roy look down on his friends to see what was taking his resurrection so long, because there was nothing Roy could do to speed it up and thus finding out what'd happened would have no bearing on fulfilling the Blood Oath.

Doing recon on Xykon, on the other hand, would be very relevant to that goal, and thus I'd expect Eugene to be quite willing to help out. It'd be in his own best interest, after all.