New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf fortress

1. - Top - End - #421
    Banned

Default Re: Dwarf fortress

Damn goblins... Not that they can do anything against my military, traps and ballista batteries, but they attacked during a human caravan coming and so I lost out on the chance to get some flux which I can't find on my map. Oh well, at least I can melt down their equipment and make myself a horde of iron.

Also, I butcher puppies.

Edit: Damn it! It happened again! The next caravan that arrived was beset by goblins as well!
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-06-22 at 09:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

hehe... I'm getting all my civilians 90k experience in pumping before putting them to work so they get insane attributes. Not to mention an entire fortress of legendaries sounds awesome.
    -"I believe in gender equality, so SHOOT ME YOU WUSSY!"
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Banned

Okay, what's the best way to kill nobles? I have one who keeps making impossible demands and one who only ever wants me to make aluminium items which is near impossible since I've only found 5 or 6 squares of aluminium in the map.

I was thinking trapping goblins in cages and then releasing them on a noble locked in a room.

Also, one of my wrestling champions just took on an invasion. They broke his arm, but he got them all. And now a season later his arm is fine.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-06-22 at 09:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Then unlock it just as your military arrives. =P

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is metal more likely to be found further down? I can't find any. Ever...

Also, I just got yet another idea... Make a Fallout-style vault. Just gotta annihilate everything on Z-level 1 using a nearby magma pipe...

Bonus points if you abandon it, and then create a walled city out of aluminum. More bonus points if the fortress' name translates into 'megaton'.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget to put a cage full of cats in the middle of that town.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Okay, what's the best way to kill nobles?
    The best way is the most complex, over-engineer, magma-involving way you can come up with

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Is metal more likely to be found further down? I can't find any. Ever...
    No. It depends on the layer type, regardless of how deep the layer is.

You can find some info on the wiki's ore, stone, and The Non-Dwarf's Guide to Rock pages.

8. - Top - End - #428

I just saw that iron comes from hematite, magnetite, and limonite.

So, basically, three of the more common stone types in my fortresses...

Damn
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

hey, anyone know what sort of damage a goblin will suffer upon falling 2 z levels?
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #430
    Firbolg in the Playground

I believe they will be stunned. 3 will knock unconscious. 5 should kill. Though that's just off the top of my head.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Pixie in the Playground

After a long hiatus (the cause of which I can't quite remember) I've begun to get back into DF.

There've been a few hitches as I get back into the game, luckily one of my friends is a near-constant player who is always willing to put up with my rustiness.

My fort has strayed to the edge of starvation not once - but twice. I went two years without seeing a single migrant. I asked the dwarven caravan for an anvil, then realised I couldn't afford it. Finally, I sent out near 15 dwarves to deal with what seemed a goblin ambush, but later turned into a full-blown siege!

We managed to hold off, but lost several dwarves in the process. For now, the fort lives on!

12. - Top - End - #432

Also, I butcher puppies.
    That's horrible!

You should wait until they mature into dogs; you'll get more meat and bones that way.

13. - Top - End - #433

OldWizardGuy

Annoying bug: Okay so my dwarf gets in a secretive mood... he has no "moodable" skills, only instead of a crftsdwarf shop he claims a mason's shop. He's making no demands, just sitting there.

Edit: nevermind, that's cause he made something :D I'll have to edit the wiki to state that mason's shops can be taken over, though. He notable did not even have dabbling in masonry.

Edit; okay nvm, I'm just wrong, mining is apparently moodable even though it's not listed in one of the charts o.O
    Last edited by Greep; 2009-06-23 at 01:47 AM.
    -"I believe in gender equality, so SHOOT ME YOU WUSSY!"
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

My mayor is demanding an item in his room. Does anyone know what he might mean by that? He really should be more specific if he wants me to give him the stuff he wants.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    My mayor is demanding an item in his room. Does anyone know what he might mean by that? He really should be more specific if he wants me to give him the stuff he wants.
    If he wants "an item" then just put any old crap in there and it should be fine. Usually they tell you they want a silver item or whatever according to their preferences. God help you if you get a baron/count/duke who only likes gold items or some ore you don't have. Your metalsmith will be locked away for life.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

If I were to want to play this game (preferably with tiles rather than ascii) what things exactly would I need to download? I'd just like to know.

17. - Top - End - #437

If he wants "an item" then just put any old crap in there and it should be fine. Usually they tell you they want a silver item or whatever according to their preferences. God help you if you get a baron/count/duke who only likes gold items or some ore you don't have. Your metalsmith will be locked away for life.
    Actually, the demand for "item in bedroom"(or dining room, or tomb, or office) is a bug. Normally it is caused by a demand for an item that cannot actually be made, like a shell armor stand. Since the demanded item is illegal, it doesn't actually get demanded. However, sometimes another item manages to assuage their pride.

Generally, if you keep your officials happy in other ways, they won't tantrum if you miss a demand. Furthermore, demands have no legal backing, so you only need to worry about tantrums.

On the other hand, most demands are either really easy to meet, or "Item in Xroom." So there is no point in not fulfilling the easy ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    If I were to want to play this game (preferably with tiles rather than ascii) what things exactly would I need to download? I'd just like to know.
    I use Mayday's tileset, which is a very complete tileset with clear, distinguishable terrain tiles and creature graphics. You can download Dwarf Fortress, with the tileset built in, on his site: Linky!

Edit: Thanks, Rockphed. My mayor didn't ask for anything specific, just 'an item', so I guess this is the bug you speak of. Other items didn't seem to satisfy his demands, but he seems to have forgotten about it now.
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2009-06-23 at 10:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439

First, the game...

And here's a tileset.

D'oh, ninja'd. And with only one link! My helper-fu is weak.
    Last edited by Nano; 2009-06-23 at 10:16 AM.
    "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian,
    I've studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian,
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology)
    Because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology!
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian,
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian!"

Don't play League of Legends? Want to?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, the closest you're going to get to an instruction manual.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I've run across another problem. I built this giant death pit to toss all my animals into (because my fortress is overrun by at least a hundred cows, oxen, horses, and donkeys), but now I want to remove the stairway I used to construct the pit.

It doesn't seem to be working; my dwarves won't remove the up/down staircases. I've followed the instructions from the wiki, but when I designate the stairs for 'remove up stairs/ramps', the dwarves do nothing. Trying to channel into it doesn't work either. Any ideas?

Edit: It's not that the pit doesn't work; it does kill most animals I toss down the pit, but the stairway stops some of the falling animals early, which means I now have hordes of crippled animals roaming my mining tunnels.
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2009-06-23 at 10:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442

Kobold

Be careful though; failing to hit a Mandate will result in the mayor ordering beatings for someone who *could've* fulfilled the order. So if he says

"I want twelve clear glass cabinets!" and you don't build any, he'll pick a random glassmaker and have them beaten (and possibly killed)
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

wow... apparently my fortress is going to be a "pretty but useless" mine. I'm striking lots of gems, the last thing I struck was a cache of Moss Opal, and i have some veins of Galena. I guess I'll have to trade for iron and practical metals.

Fortunately, I didn't get any migrants, so I only have the six mouths to feed. This is good when only one of them is producing food (the fisherdwarf).

Question: I want my jeweler to decorate the crafts I've made with bone and shell, but he keeps putting the stuff on barrels and beds. how do i tell him to decorate a specific object?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

24. - Top - End - #444

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    wow... apparently my fortress is going to be a "pretty but useless" mine. I'm striking lots of gems, the last thing I struck was a cache of Moss Opal, and i have some veins of Galena. I guess I'll have to trade for iron and practical metals.
    Sounds like you embarked on a metamorphic layer.

EDIT: There's no way to say "Decorate *that* craft." They generally pick items to decorate based on convienence; a good way to get a specific item decorated is to make a stockpile directly adjacent to the workshop that only allows that one item. (Masterwork Obsidian Sceptors, for example).
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2009-06-23 at 10:36 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Indeed. The wiki is your friend. And don't worry if you find yourself having to look up every single thing you come across; I've climbed DF's learning curve most of the way now, and I still need to look up every other thing in the wiki to find out what it does.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Question: I want my jeweler to decorate the crafts I've made with bone and shell, but he keeps putting the stuff on barrels and beds. how do i tell him to decorate a specific object?
    With jewelers, you can specify which category (out of finished goods, furniture, or ammo) to decorate. For which specific one finished good / piece of furniture / stack of ammo, however, about all you can do is put the specific one you want the closest to his workshop, which is a bitch in and of itself.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-06-23 at 11:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    That's horrible!

You should wait until they mature into dogs; you'll get more meat and bones that way.
    Not for the bones. Just for the aesthetics. I am a cruel and beautiful fortress keeper.

In other news, DAMN KOBOLDS! I now have three able-bodied dwarves because my only defences were traps.

Scratch that. They all through tantrums, went insane and drowned themselves.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-06-23 at 02:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

I finally got my dorfs to remove the stairs from my death pit. Apparently, you have to use the channel command. A bit late, though; I'd already executed over 200 animals, and the remaining 100 is quite managable.

As if the death pit wasn't enough to get rid of unwanted animals, I'm also constucting a wooden plank extending from my wall, and ending right over the moat. Now I can make captured goblins walk the plank! Arr!

Edit: I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2009-06-23 at 05:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have cats in my fortress. The dwarven engineers back home realized they were using mind control rays, and rigged them all to explode on sight. Fortunately this has yet to cause any serious forest fires.

Also, I'm building a Cathedral to Armok entirely out of green glass. And statues. When completed it will be a masterwork of dwarven engineering, and will have used an absurd number of green glass blocks in its completion.

On the plus side, it will then become home to my dwarves. Who will spend the rest of their days smoothing and engraving the giant freaking labyrinth underneath it.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    I don't have cats in my fortress. The dwarven engineers back home realized they were using mind control rays, and rigged them all to explode on sight. Fortunately this has yet to cause any serious forest fires.

Also, I'm building a Cathedral to Armok entirely out of green glass. And statues. When completed it will be a masterwork of dwarven engineering, and will have used an absurd number of green glass blocks in its completion.

On the plus side, it will then become home to my dwarves. Who will spend the rest of their days smoothing and engraving the giant freaking labyrinth underneath it.
    After about a year of constant smoothing, most of your engravers will be legendary, so it shouldn't take too long.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2009-06-23 at 07:57 PM.