New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Web of Gunpowder

The idea behind this RPG is to tell a story--one of thrones, spies, ambassadors and soldiers--without actually having real-time in-character exchanges. Posts should consist of letters, bills, edicts, notes, reports, journals--written correspondences of all kinds.

The setting is a muskets-and-cavalry era world, one without magic or strange races. It's caught in a war between factions, one fought over resources, over land, and over religion. The details, you may feel free to fill in yourself, but don't blatantly overwrite others. When in doubt, keep it ambiguous.

Feel free to write from several perspectives, or just one. You may even have more than one item per post. Also: feel free to let your character's paths cross with those of others, although for anything involved you might want to clear it via PM.

Before each correspondence, give a title and author. Correspondences go in italics, OOC goes in plain text. Color is unnecessary.

Let's see how this goes.

Frontline Report: Summer 16, 2953
    Weston Crove, Eye of the Lord

Sirs,

I have little news to report, so I will be brief.

Your estimations have proven correct, sirs--the morale of the soldiers of Enwright is indeed beginning to tarnish. I have heard much talk of desertion, although little of it seems burdened with intention--it is the natural state of soldiers to complain. Suffice it to say, they are on edge.

The officers are quite nonplussed by the situation, as men of high education and no experience often are. As we suspected, they are not moved to action--after all, it is not officers but the rank-and-file troops who have been targeted so far. To go for higher-priority targets would be foolish at this stage--they are on the brink of action, and while they remain there, their troops remain on the brink of rebellion.

It is becoming more difficult to operate. Security has tightened, and there is no way to bribe or compromise sentries without arousing suspicion. Alas, my range of possible targets is growing slim.

Tonight, I must resort to murdering my bunkmate. I believe this can be done without attracting suspicion. Should you receive no further correspondence, you will know this to not be the case.

Either way, I remain your loyal servant.

--Weston Crove

Front Article, Summer 17, 2953
    Enwright Journal of Significant Affairs

It is a lamentable truth that the agents of Shavair take to warfare as they take to mercantile affairs; poorly, but with a lack of decency or civilization that gives them the advantage over their dignified counterparts.

Reports have come in that agents, within the infantry and artillery forces, have infiltrated our army. It is not yet known how they are communicating with their superiors, or how they are operating; indeed, it is not truly known if they all strike from within, or if there are those who strike from without. Suffice it to say, the consequences have been grave.

The worst of such affairs was when an artillery unit was commandeered, and set to use leveling a palisade. The perpetrator did not quite escape, but nevertheless evaded capture--his retreat was stopped only by a bullet to the neck.

It is unknown how we can cope with these threats, but we must. Regardless, these agents cannot last forever--whatever may come, the armies of Enwright will remain resolute.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-05-30 at 11:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Web of Gunpowder

This looks like a really interesting idea, and even though my brain isn't functioning properly today, I'll give it a go. Hope it fits.

Personal Log: Summer 21, 2953
    Captain Horatio Merryweather, Commander Enright Gunship Audacity

It has been nearly a week since we've last seen land. When we view it again it will not be friendly soil. My Audacity, along with three other gunships have been sent to blockade Redmont Harbor, cutting off our enemy's supply line. I pray our small fleet will be enough. My superiors have assured me it will be, but I still have my doubts. Too little information has come from the region. We are sailing blind.

But what captain ever made it far without sailing into the unknown? So we sail on, for glory, for god, for our homeland. May we succeed in our task.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Overwatch Reports, Redmont Harbor: Summer 21, 2953
    Snr. Overwatchman Collreus Mathe

Five birds on the clear blue. Deliver a cardboard, and sufficient eggs and bacon.

The iron is cold.

--Mathen Colle
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-05-31 at 09:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Letter to Agatha Scott, Summer 22, 2953
    Corporal Marcus Scott, portions omitted due to hightened security

My dearest Agatha,

To think that it has been a year since I have felt your warm embrace fills my heart with a fiery pain that is worse then the fear of charging a line of Shavair artillery. I say fear as if it were such a foreign word. I have long ago surrendered my fear and go about my duties as Her Majesty's Cavalryman as if a mechanical thing.

We have been away from the front for nearly four days after a devastating skirmish at [Omitted] in which we lost nearly fifty horse and half as many men.

The captain has stated that we leave tomorrow for the front again, and that we are scouting the enemy's [Omitted] in hopes of finding a crack in their lines. Morale is low, but I continue to keep my head held high. For I know that the tide will turn and we will find victory.

And if we don't, then I pray that I survive and am able to return home to you.

With love eternal,
    Marcus Scott, Corporal
    3rd Imperial Dragoon Regiment
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2009-05-31 at 10:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Frontline Report: Summer 22, 2953
    Weston Crove, Eye of the Lord

Sirs,

There are several developments of note.

I have had to scale back operations somewhat, partially because of close scrutiny, partially because I have already overextended badly with the latest maneuver. It is as much as I can do to leak these correspondences to you.

Enwright is on the move. There are no concrete details yet--certainly none the infantry is fit to hear, and none that I, in my high-profile state, can uncover--but I have heard mention of a location known as Redmont Harbor. Apparently, it is a high-priority target, one that is currently cut off from supplies and support.

Through a few (I must say) cleverly subverted documents, I've pieced together that the Harbor is under suppression by an insubstantial novice fleet. These are considered expendable, but will delay and thought of support until the harbor is secured and anti-ship defenses are installed.

I cannot presume to advise you, sirs, but it would seem that I am in need of instructions regarding my next target. I am prepared to make this my last, if needed.

I await your counsel.

--Weston Crove
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Letter to Anchorite Daznari of the Emerald Chapel, Summer 22, 2953
    Sister Naia Roth

Brother cleric, we beg for your aid! We, the people of Redmont Harbor, are starving, and the brigands bombarding us will not give us even the most base of supplies! Currently, our convent is taking in as many as we can, but our reserves are dwindling fast, and with the incoming onslaught of bad weather from the East, our crops, already depleted, are soon to perish also. Though our attackers may be militarily weak, I fear the locale will starve before long, unless you can help us.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Notice pinned outside the Archgrove Inn, Redmont Harbor: Summer 24, 2953
    Proprietors

THIS BEING A NOTICE
    That all suspicious activity within this township
    IS TO BE NOTED AND REPORTED
    To the Overwatch, for filing, and for the safeguarding
    of this Harbor.

FURTHERMORE
    That all bread, wheat, and fresh vegetables
    ARE TO BE RATIONED
    And excess supplies are to be given to a quartermaster.

ALL CITIZENS ARE TO BE HELD TO THESE STANDARDS.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Notice also pinned outside Archgrove Inn, Redmont Harbor: Summer 24, 2953
    Enwright High Security Council

Wanted, Dead or Alive:
    Jackson Brody, AKA Daniel Fyne, AKA Matthew Fyne, AKA Commander Daniels, AKA Captain Daniels, AKA Father Nichols, AKA The Rampant Scar, AKA The Dreaded Shroud

For multiple counts of: Murder, Arson, Treason, Larceny, Hijacking, Assault, Impersonating an Officer, Kidnapping, Destruction of Enwright government property, etc.

If identified, do not approach; Brody is considered armed and dangerous. Notify local law enforcement of any suspicious activity. Any collaboration or aid given to the felon is punishable by life imprisonment.
    Last edited by Phase; 2009-06-02 at 12:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Notice also pinned outside Archgrove Inn, Redmont Harbor: Summer 25, 2953
    Enwright High Security Council

Wanted, Dead or Alive:
    Jackson Brody, AKA Daniel Fyne, AKA Matthew Fyne, AKA Commander Daniels, AKA Captain Daniels, AKA Father Nichols, AKA The Rampant Scar, AKA The Dreaded Shroud

For multiple counts of: Murder, Arson, Treason, Larceny, Hijacking, Assault, Impersonating an Officer, Kidnapping, Destruction of Enwright government property, etc.

If identified, do not approach; Brody is considered armed and dangerous. Notify local law enforcement of any suspicious activity. Any collaboration or aid given to the felon is punishable by life imprisonment.

TRY AND CATCH HIM BASTARDS
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-06-03 at 07:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Letter to Corporal Marcus Scott, Summer 25, 2953
    Agatha Scott

The worst has happened, my dear.
    I am betrothed; to Henry - our most recent fair embrace, though a year old, is, sadly, to be our last.
    Think of me well,
    Agatha.

Scrap of partially burnt parchment found on the floor of the Archgrove Inn, Redmont Harbor: Summer 25, 2953

All is falling to plan. The cuckoo rings true.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Letter to Captain Horatio Merryweather, Summer 25, 2953
    Jackson Brody

Captain,

While we have not had the pleasure of each other's company, I'm sure that if we were to meet I would find you a truly delightful gentleman. I'm certain that you've heard of me, and it is the fault of your current occupation that I have come to hear of you. Rest assured I have no interest in this pitiable war, nor your place in it, but your blockade has severely hindered my, for lack of a better term, business dealings.

I ask, gentleman to gentleman, that you clear out your ships and dissolve the blockade before midnight the 26th, or I shall be forced to sink them. Any casualties will be on your head.

J. Brody
    Last edited by Phase; 2009-06-08 at 12:56 PM.