New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

eek A Planet is in Danger!

I have noticed a disturbing trend amongst our great fashion experts here in America and even other parts of the world. It appears that they have decided the great formal piece, known as the three button suit, is worthless. They have abandoned it in lieu of the two button!! Every magazine I look in, all I see is two button this, two button that, and I am sick of it! The three button was good enough for our fathers, and it is good enough for us! This atrocity has been allowed to go on for far too long already. Like a wound that has been allowed to fester with bacteria, I am now its antibiotic ointment. But alas, ointment is not effective by itself. Especially in this case where the wound is so obviously in need of attention. YOU, my fellow playgrounders, must be the band-aid in this here dire of situations! It is YOU who must spread the good word of the good suit. It is YOU who must rise to save a country, nay, a world, from a rising regime of suit tyranny. Included is a very small list of why the three button suit is much better than its two button counterpart.
    1. I did not just spend upwards of $1000 (American) on a suit to show off a shirt that literally costs 10x less!
    2. James Bond wore a three button
    3. Three buttons are scientifically proven to make Chuck Norris quake in his boots
    4. Men in three button suits ALWAYS get the girls (see reason number 2)
    Now I could easily keep this list going for another several days worth of material, but I can’t save us all by myself. You must be allowed the opportunity to rise to the occasion, add to the list yourselves, and SAVE THE PLANET!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Laziness is oft looked down upon by society. It is an ideal of utter slacking and procrastination. Only the least lively have what it takes to become truly undedicated. I have embraced these ideals and have been utterly rewarded by the gods of do nothing. How they managed to get off their divine bottoms boggles my mind, but they did. It was in the form of their divine messenger that I now have an avatar, so thanks to you Mr_Saturn. The gods have used your despicable lack of lazy against you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A Planet is in Danger!

Calm down, friend. It's still very possible to wear and look suave in a three-button. Have no fear.
    I actually have a Hong Kong-custom-tailored four button suit hanging in my closet. You are not alone.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

In Hollywood, they have have only use two buttons. I've tried, and tried, but the costumers always hand me the 2 button suit.
    Just get a good 2 button suit. Save the 3 buttons when they come back in style.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWizard View Post
    In Hollywood, they have have only use two buttons. I've tried, and tried, but the costumers always hand me the 2 button suit.
    I am a four-button rebel! None can stop the awesomeness that's a tailored, smooth black four-button suit!
    Personally, I think 2-buttoners look horrible in most circumstances. Hardly suitlike at all, but simply a thin coat to be worn over a hoody and jeans.
    Which, overall, is still inferior to an open jacket over jeans, nice shoes, and a bright shirt, all capped off with a fedora (or a trilby for the discening).
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Everything now is more dressed down here in Hollywood nowadays.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I prefer 3 buttons. So many more combinations for leaving buttons open. Bottom undone for sitting, top undone to show a shirt, none open to look really not-casual, the list goes on and one.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWizard View Post
    Gaaaaaaaa conformist!!! *pulls out hair*

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    I am a four-button rebel! None can stop the awesomeness that's a tailored, smooth black four-button suit!
    Personally, I think 2-buttoners look horrible in most circumstances. Hardly suitlike at all, but simply a thin coat to be worn over a hoody and jeans.
    Which, overall, is still inferior to an open jacket over jeans, nice shoes, and a bright shirt, all capped off with a fedora (or a trilby for the discening).
    Ahhhh a fellow rebel! Good man if I ever did see one, and I fully agree. Except on the fedora, for I myself happen to be a man of porkpies when hats are called for. Whenever I wear a fedora, of which I have several, I get the feeling that I should be wearing a zoot suit and smoking a pipe. Props to you if you can pull it off though Here's a link to some amazing jackets to go with jeans
    Spoiler
    Show
    Laziness is oft looked down upon by society. It is an ideal of utter slacking and procrastination. Only the least lively have what it takes to become truly undedicated. I have embraced these ideals and have been utterly rewarded by the gods of do nothing. How they managed to get off their divine bottoms boggles my mind, but they did. It was in the form of their divine messenger that I now have an avatar, so thanks to you Mr_Saturn. The gods have used your despicable lack of lazy against you!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

three-buttoner here.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    three-buttoner here.
    You my friend deserve a prize, as do all those who three button....CHEESE for everyone!!! Wait scratch that, no cheese, which can be just as much of a prize if you don't like cheese
    (cookies for all who get that reference)
    But please people do work your creativity and come up with more reasons why three buttons SHOULD rule the world. It'll help when you go crusading in the streets....trust me
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

A Planet is in Danger!
    Collin's Immediate Thought Process:
    "Our world is in peril! Gaia, the spirit of the Earth, can no longer stand the terrible destruction plaguing our planet!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Can anyone tell me, why men only button the top button on a suit? I never understood that... Even if I was a bit larger in the stomach area (I'm not at all...) I'd still button both. Only one makes me feel... Bleh, I don't know. I don't like it. .
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Collin's Immediate Thought Process:
    "Our world is in peril! Gaia, the spirit of the Earth, can no longer stand the terrible destruction plaguing our planet because too many people are wearing two button suits"
    Fixed it for you
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

JC Penneys still has a considerable selection of 3 button suits. If you really want to find one, it's not very hard. I'm sure the Men's Warehouse has quite a collection yet as well. Just because something has become the trend or the in thing, doesn't mean it's the only style available/made.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    Can anyone tell me, why men only button the top button on a suit? I never understood that... Even if I was a bit larger in the stomach area (I'm not at all...) I'd still button both. Only one makes me feel... Bleh, I don't know. I don't like it. .
    While I am not sure if this is true the habit of doing so may have originated from the folowing, King Edward VII, “Bertie”, son of Victoria (1841 – 1910, King 1901 - 1910) was so heavy that he could not get the bottom button fastened on his vest or to be more historically kind, maybe he just forgot. His subjects taking it as a fashion statement followed his lead and today most men’s suits, sports jackets or vests are not designed to button the bottom button.

The tradition of not buttoning the bottom button may have also come from the early waistcoats, which were very long. It may have been out of necessity of being able to walk that the bottom buttons were left undone.

Really no one knows, why it started, but today we do so because the suits are designed to be worn without the last button buttoned. The reason is that suits are designed that, when buttoned, to form an X. If you button the lowest button you get a misshapen suit. That is also why, when the top button is buttoned on a three button of a cheaper make, the suit can look horrible.......button
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Bwahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mine has ONE button!
    Last edited by Llama231; 2009-06-04 at 08:47 PM.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Llama231 View Post
    Bwahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mine has ONE button!
    You, good sir, must be a gnome.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

The suit I wore for Prom had some buttons, but they weren't meant to be fastened at all, for some strange reason. I guess, to show off the vest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The suit I wore for Prom had some buttons, but they weren't meant to be fastened at all, for some strange reason. I guess, to show off the vest?
    If it is prom and you rented I am going to assume it was a tux and not a suit. In which case the only tux with decorative buttons that I can think of off the top of my head are the most formal of the formal.....the kind with tails!!! Which also happens to be fairly unpopular culturally right now
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I prefer double-breasted suites myself. I like the way they fit on me, I feel more like I’m snazzed up for fancy dress when I’m in one.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    I prefer double-breasted suites myself. I like the way they fit on me, I feel more like I’m snazzed up for fancy dress when I’m in one.
    Oooooooooooo how many buttons?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Calm down, friend. It's still very possible to wear and look suave in a three-button. Have no fear.
    I actually have a Hong Kong-custom-tailored four button suit hanging in my closet. You are not alone.
    Now that's just mad.

I don't wear suits, so I wouldn't know about this crisis. But I have a cardigan with like, six buttons. :O
    Okay, I'll leave now.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

-Abraham Lincoln
    Love wins.
    my blog.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterMe View Post
    Oooooooooooo how many buttons?
    Six buttons, call me krazy

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Post Re: A Planet is in Danger!

Oh yeah? Well, my suit is made entirely of buttons!

That's nine hundred buttons, man!

Now I just have to wait for it to come back into style...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I got a coat with a lot of buttons. How many is that?
    Over nine thousaaaaaaaaaaaand!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

My only real (not my pin-striped 3 piece I found for a gangster costume) suit is a 3 button. I've worn it 3 times in the past 2 years, so it's not like I'm worried about if it's fashionable.

Also, from what I understand, because Men's formal wear really doesn't change much, they swap out two and three buttons every few years just to make people buy more suits.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    Also, from what I understand, because Men's formal wear really doesn't change much, they swap out two and three buttons every few years just to make people buy more suits.
    Gaaaaaaaa!!!!! I'm sorry but mind shattering revelations are better left to the mindless....so take your nifty little quips and go play with the zombies.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterMe View Post
    Gaaaaaaaa!!!!! I'm sorry but mind shattering revelations are better left to the mindless....so take your nifty little quips and go play with the zombies.
    But then the zombies won't look snazzy in new, fashionable suits.

And lets face it, they need all the snazzying up they can get.

28. - Top - End - #28

I prefer a lack of buttons. And a lack of suits. And occasionally a lack of pants.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Just actually read through the thread and saw this

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    It's because it's more comfortable to sit when the bottom one is unbuttoned. I've also had the threads holding buttons on stretched out because of sitting/standing, so I'd imagine it helps from that as well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

I kinda like two button suits...of course that could be because I'm 16 and haven't had much opportunity for a variety of suits. But the two button that I have is really comfortable and nice looking, while the three button is kinda scratchy.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!