New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

Ok, so for the better part of 3 years I've been working on a Fallout table top RPG using a percentile system. Hopefully, within the next few months I hope to have in a play test type phase. I'm trying to base it mostly off the old computer games (1, 2 and Tactics) with a few things from Fallout 3 and New Vegas (though not much other than maybe Perks). Two things I'm looking for here. First, is there already a game out there like this? And second, is there even a big enough fan-base that would like to see something like this posted one day on here for everyone to enjoy? I guess a smaller, distant third, would be how would I go about posting the rules for something like that on a message board? I can't just upload the PDF file can I?
    Last edited by agentnone; 2011-01-28 at 03:56 PM.
    "For pony!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

1) Plenty, though perhaps not so many that are percentile-based (I'm pretty sure J.E. Sawyer's Fallout RPG uses percentiles quite a bit, but beyond that I'm not really sure about many others).

2) Cannot really speak for the majority, though I will say in general that one reason d20 systems flourish is because people don't specifically have to learn new systems. Moving to a percentile-based system might alienate some people, but there could perhaps be enough interest here.

3) I'm pretty sure you should be able to link the the PDF provided it's hosted elsewhere, as I think one of the Bleach projects did that, though I could be wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Well the system itself isn't that hard. Pretty much a percentile system, aiming for a result equal to or less than your current skill value. And nothing wrong with d20 system, but d20 can't really give the feel of the Fallout game. Plus I've seen other post all sorts of other types of systems on here other than d20 and it seems to work. But is there enough Fallout fans out there that would be interested in something like this?
    "For pony!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I am one! PDF me!

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm interested in playtesting this.
    Fallout here I come!
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ok well it'll be a little bit as I have to piece together various notes and whatnot into a single file. I will go as far as saying that right now, the only races I have available are Humans, Ghouls and Super Mutants. I have all the Skills and their basic descriptions and derived stats tallied up. I have Traits and Perks ready to go though I need to go through and re-edit them to mesh well with a few changes I made to the SPECIAL stats. Once that's out of the way I'll be working on weapons and armor. That'll be hardest since I'll have to keep them balanced yet attractive. Nothing sucks more than putting weapons and armor that no one will want to use...ever. I also have to figure out a work-able leveling system. Let's just say the first draft of this project is over halfway to completion.
    "For pony!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

There have been two PnP Fallout games made, to my knowledge. The first one was a d% game, that captures the SPECIAL system perfectly, and is based on Fallout 1, 2, and to a smaller extent, Tactics.

It can be downloaded for free, here.

The other game was a d20, but it was largely shut down. They had licensed it from Interplay, then when Bethesda acquired the rights, they issued a cease and desist. The game was later finished under the name Exodus.

I haven't read the d20 one, but the d% game is pretty spot-on at capturing the Fallout feel. I highly recommend giving that one a look.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Interesting. Never new there was one out there. Did a few Google searches for one over the past few years and all I came across was the d20 one that lost the license from the Bethesda buyout. And even then, I haven't been able to find that game anywhere. While I do enjoy the d20 system to a certain degree, I felt the percentile system best captured the old computer game feel of Fallout. I'm going to download it here in a few and see how much it's different from what I'm working on. I'm gonna feel bummed out if I've worked on something this whole time and it's already been done before. lol
    "For pony!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by agentnone View Post
    Interesting. Never new there was one out there. Did a few Google searches for one over the past few years and all I came across was the d20 one that lost the license from the Bethesda buyout. And even then, I haven't been able to find that game anywhere. While I do enjoy the d20 system to a certain degree, I felt the percentile system best captured the old computer game feel of Fallout. I'm going to download it here in a few and see how much it's different from what I'm working on. I'm gonna feel bummed out if I've worked on something this whole time and it's already been done before. lol
    I feel ya there. I didn't know about it until recently either. I was bored at work a couple weeks ago and set out creating a Fallout RPG loosely based on FO:NV (what can I say, I like the truncated skill list). When I told my gaming group about it, one of them informed me.

I've skimmed though it, and it seems pretty solid. I admit though, I glossed over some sections, and I haven't actually tried to play it yet, but it looks good.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clepto View Post
    I feel ya there. I didn't know about it until recently either. I was bored at work a couple weeks ago and set out creating a Fallout RPG loosely based on FO:NV (what can I say, I like the truncated skill list). When I told my gaming group about it, one of them informed me.

I've skimmed though it, and it seems pretty solid. I admit though, I glossed over some sections, and I haven't actually tried to play it yet, but it looks good.
    I scrolled through it myself last night (it's 11:15 am where I am at the time of this posting). And it seems like it's TOO much of a literal translation from the Tactics game to a PnP game. More mathmatical forumlas than I'm aiming for. Though, the equipment list might make my job a lot easier, but what I'm doing is going to be a little easier. Not much though, as any math is required for any type of RPG that requires dice. Even if it's just basic "add those two dice together" math. And the half-mutant? No thanks. I'll stick with Human, Ghoul and Super Mutant for now. Deathclaw and Robot may come later though. And Dog as a player race had me cracking up. I'll try to post a few things about what I've gotten so far sometime later today. If not tonight (my time). Thanks for the link though. Gave me a lot of good and bad examples. Told me that I'm mostly heading in the right direction. Only thing that's going to be difficult is the balance of weapons and armor and encounters. But I'll get there.
    "For pony!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ok so I found a d20 version of this that I had worked on some and forgot all about. Anyway, I've been working on it a LOT all day and might have a decent "rough draft" copy available before too long. After reading over what I already typed, it gave me a lot of ideas for classes and even PrCs. Problem is I don't know of a place to host a finalized PDF file to link here. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to find something like that, let me know. Otherwise, I guess if anyone wants a PDF copy until they, send me a PM with their email and I'll send it. I can also have it available in Word/Open Office format. It'll take some time though, since balance is the key to everything. And judging from reading the Traits and Perks, a good re-reading could do this file some good. It's apparantly been a few years since I've opened the document.
    "For pony!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Doesn't scribd.com host pdfs for free still...?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"