New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Prison Break

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Prison Break

Prison Break's final season just ended for the first time in my country, and I was wondering what the general opinion in the playground is on this series?

Do it's virtues make up for it's many, many faults (usually in the shape of plotholes)?

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I really appreciated the downer ending, & especially the fact that the main character dies of screen without it really being necessary for the story line. The first season without a doubt was actually pretty good, despite the overly dramatic tension scenes (you know which ones I'm talking about. You recognise them because of the loud dramatic music and the main characters are usually about to get caught). The idea of throwing them into prison again in season three was pretty daring and at least some good results came from it. I also liked that when I thought the final season was about to end, Don Self made a heel face turn for the worst.

On the other hand, the first part of season four was pretty dull (what with the gathering the cards and all), while the last part was dragged out enormously. Over the course of the series they managed to dump characters I loved (I'm thinking primarily of Haywire), while relatively bland characters got more screentime (Sarah or Lincoln, for example). No series should have you dislike the main characters and have you rooting for the bad guys. Here I mean bad guys like T-Bag, Mahone or Don Self, who had a lot of character, and not the company which was a bit of a one-trick-pony. The most bothersome thing in the whole series though was probably when Sarah died and then came back the next season...

So, in addition to your opinion, I would also like to know if you think the basic set-up has potential to be a good RP (which is, arguably, a question that should be asked about every tv show).
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Prison Break

I liked the first season, loved the second. It felt like it should have ended in the second season to me :P

The third... Well I wasn't impressed at all. There were some good bits, but nothing compared to the first and second. When
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah Died
    I felt some more hope, because it seemed like the writers were really making an effort. Then I stopped watching out of boredom and heard that
    Spoiler
    Show
    She came back

Did the following season improve it?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It most definitely should have ended in the second season.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zencao View Post
    Did the following season improve it?
    Season four had some ups and downs. Most of the season was pretty dull and badly written, but there were some nice twists.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The downer ending, for example, as well as Self betraying the group. They were very insistant on bringing back old characters in season 4 too, though most of the time that was a bad thing... Like C-Note, Kellerman and even a certain old (and more notably, dead) bankrobber

So, what is the potential for this series to become an RPG?

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    Season four had some ups and downs. Most of the season was pretty dull and badly written, but there were some nice twists.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The downer ending, for example, as well as Self betraying the group. They were very insistant on bringing back old characters in season 4 too, though most of the time that was a bad thing... Like C-Note, Kellerman and even a certain old (and more notably, dead) bankrobber

So, what is the potential for this series to become an RPG?
    An RPG? Wouldn't it just be D20 Modern or something?

I also doubt there's a whole lot of cross-over in the demographics.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zencao View Post
    An RPG? Wouldn't it just be D20 Modern or something?
    I'm more concerned with whether it would work plotwise and such than what system to use. I'm also not actually planning to do this, just toying with the idea if it's possible.