New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread III

Welcome back, folks! The discussion of Hourglass of Zihaja has grown beyond the confines of three threads now, but this will be the last!

We've ventured far in our trek to tease and mystify, and in doing so have painted you all a picture of our worlds. Though many mysteries await to uncover, and still more will not reveal themselves until the setting is released, you have now been given glimpses of:

• Akasha and Sunya, the opposed demideities of night and day, who have inherited a divine conflict from parts as yet unknown.
    • The great god Zihaja, whose past under another name is as concealed as his palace.
    • Fearsome creatures such as ghuls, she-da-zhong and shaghals, and the dark powers that back them.
    • The Ten Aspects that form the great religions of Siraaj, and the historical figures (or lack thereof) that underpin them.

We look forward to continuing to explore this vast and promising setting with you all.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-09-12 at 12:25 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread III

Ah, new thread!

Though I'm mildly disappointed that this one hasn't come with a teaser. Hopefully, that's only a "yet".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    Ah, new thread!

Though I'm mildly disappointed that this one hasn't come with a teaser. Hopefully, that's only a "yet".
    What would you like to see?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    What would you like to see?
    I would like to see a lorepost dealing directly with an Aspect, especially it's rise/fall to power, Zihaja's palace, or the Pit of Fate.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would also be very interested to see a lore like that. The topic of an ascending/falling aspect would be my first choice, if that's taken into consideration.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordZarth View Post
    Zihaja's palace, or the Pit of Fate.
    No.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the basic function of a teaser is to show us stuff we don't know about yet, so asking me that question is kind of odd.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2009-06-08 at 07:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

No.
    Well, I didn't expect any Zihaja-palace spoilering, but I didn't realize that the Pit was so hush-hush! I assume because it has to do with death, which has to do with cosmology and souls and life and therefore the Big Man up in the multicoloured palace.

Aspects? We can the having?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The Fall of Maqur

The armies of the Witch Queen had seized the efreeti's city and built a temple in her honor; now they guarded it against the asp-men of her former tribe, who bowed before her arcane flames but had colluded with the humans to strike her down.

The Scarlet Shahbanu was now the living idol of her enthralled devotees, and as they swarmed around the black temple, not a creature among them thought but to spend their lives for the glory of Maqur.

The humans had come forth, despite treachery and suspicion sown among them by Maqur's wicked power. Their leaders pressed forward on the stairs, ascending to where the Witch Queen lay with her consorts. Even in the haze of lust, Maqur could see the approach of the foe she had known was coming, had prepared for.

As the human general brought forth his heroic blade, the Harlot Princess' serpentine eyes flashed red. She passed a single taloned finger over her lips, then grasped at her breast. Dark energies danced around her hand, and the mortal hero was forced to stand back.

Suddenly, he fell to his knees, coughing blood, and in that time the witch had revealed herself in all her dark glory, throwing up columns of flame to wreath the temple's peak. As her consorts fled in fear and panic, she touched the arm of one, whose life fled from him. Her demonic smile betraying infinite malice, Maqur tore the trusting soul away from her lover and threw it as baleful red lightnings against her opponents.

This was Maqur's triumph, and her power was complete. Her devotees turned to witness the glory atop the dark ziggurat, and her most faithful raised a horrific chant of dark veneration.

As her victory took form and life, the Witch Queen cast her head back to the skies in fiendish glee - only for a look of absolute terror to paint itself on her face.

In a screaming torrent of red lightnings that rushed through the temple, the Scarlet Shahbanu vanished, erased from sight by a pillar of white flame from the heavens, impossible in magnitude. As her faithful watched, uncomprehending, they too were burned away by the fires from above. As her mortal followers turned and fled, the she-da-zhong who had believed in her cast aside the symbols of Maqur and retreated into the darkness.

That day, the temple city of Maqur was melted from the earth, and those sworn to her as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I forget whether Maqur was the imprisoned aspect, the obliterated aspect, or the aspect that went into hiding (though, considering that lore post, I'd guess she's the second of those three).

Does she still grant divine power, even after that?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Afroakuma
    The Fall of Maqur

In a screaming torrent of red lightnings that rushed through the temple, the Scarlet Shahbanu vanished, erased from sight by a pillar of white flame from the heavens, impossible in magnitude. As her faithful watched, uncomprehending, they too were burned away by the fires from above. As her mortal followers turned and fled, the she-da-zhong who had believed in her cast aside the symbols of Maqur and retreated into the darkness.

That day, the temple city of Maqur was melted from the earth, and those sworn to her as well.
    Purple Man has a flair for the dramatic, I see.

What's a she-da-zhong? Is that even singular?
    Last edited by LordZarth; 2009-06-08 at 08:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I forget whether Maqur was the imprisoned aspect, the obliterated aspect, or the aspect that went into hiding (though, considering that lore post, I'd guess she's the second of those three).
    That would be correct. One of two.

She doesn't. She's dead.

The three spells she used are the 3rd, 6th and 9th level spells of her exclusive domain, however.

13. - Top - End - #13

[
    In a screaming torrent of red lightnings that rushed through the temple, the Scarlet Shahbanu vanished, erased from sight by a pillar of white flame from the heavens, impossible in magnitude. As her faithful watched, uncomprehending, they too were burned away by the fires from above.
    Yep. Certainly seems like she's the obliterated one. Also, I may be mistaken, but isn't in Zihaja who (in some fashion) actually grants the divine power? I could easily be wrong about this, I've never been entirely clear on how that works.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    Yep. Certainly seems like she's the obliterated one. Also, I may be mistaken, but isn't in Zihaja who (in some fashion) actually grants the divine power? I could easily be wrong about this, I've never been entirely clear on how that works.
    That would be correct. Zihaja now grants the divine power on behalf of Maqur and protects her dogma.

Is there any broad topic that someone would like a teaser on?
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-06-08 at 08:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I meant "can people still get divine power through worship of Maqur", as to my understanding Zihaja grants all the actual divine power in the setting.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

To be crystal clear, all of the aspects are worshiped as gods, but all worshipers derive their divine power directly from Zihaja. No one knows that there is only one true god, or what His name is. And Zihaja likes it that way. Anything to keep the status quo in place & in balance.

17. - Top - End - #17

Is there any broad topic that someone would like a teaser on?
    Throwing out ideas: arctic, druids, houris, life on Najmah, underwater/marids, an ocean journey, discovery of a people, or even more aspect stories, because Maqur was awesome.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd personally like something on genies, as my current knowledge on genies is effectively "They were kicked out of Najmah by Rakshasa and are currently wandering around Siraaj". Also, Dao are fond of enslaving each other, Marids retain something of a culture, some people like to capture genies (though this kind of baffles me, as ostensibly the genies would have lost all their vast stores of treasure and whatnot when they were chased out of Najmah), and there are a few Efreeti glassblowers around.

Yeah, that's about the extent of it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Throwing out ideas: arctic, druids, houris, life on Najmah, underwater/marids, an ocean journey, discovery of a people, or even more aspect stories, because Maqur was awesome.
    Waharim's story is comparatively boring. Actually, Sidaru's might be the coolest. I'll look into it.

I'd personally like something on genies, as my current knowledge on genies is effectively "They were kicked out of Najmah by Rakshasa and are currently wandering around Siraaj".
    Well, that's not true at all.

Also, Dao are fond of enslaving each other
    Untrue.

some people like to capture genies (though this kind of baffles me, as ostensibly the genies would have lost all their vast stores of treasure and whatnot when they were chased out of Najmah)
    Wish.

Fine. I guess since we're in the final thread, there's no use in me beating around the bush any longer.

Go load that Cirque video and stay tuned. I'm explaining it completely tonight.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-06-08 at 09:14 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Waitwaitwait. I'm finally getting that Sidaru lorepost I asked for so long ago?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Look up. I have a priority.

I'm getting the Cirque thing out of the way. It should be worth... well, everyone's while, honestly.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Fine.

But you really need to stop taunting me with stuff which could be directly relevant to that character I'll eventually end up playing.

23. - Top - End - #23

Afraid I can't play along tonight Afro, I have two exams to be ready for tomorrow.

Wait...what am I doing on GitP again? Right, not studying.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Fine.

But you really need to stop taunting me with stuff which could be directly relevant to that character I'll eventually end up playing.
    Considering that the lorepost in question would be the origin of Sidaru, it will not be relevant.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd consider it relevant to my interests, at the very least.

26. - Top - End - #26

Afraid I can't play along tonight Afro but will, I have two exams to be ready for tomorrow.

Wait...what am I doing on GitP again? Right, not studying. I hate exams. And yes, I stoled Alderan's post because it describes me.

27. - Top - End - #27

Afraid I can't play along tonight Afro but will, I have two exams to be ready for tomorrow.

Wait...what am I doing on GitP again? Right, not studying. I hate exams. And yes, I stoled Alderan's post because it describes me.
    There's a t in that name of mine, you'll notice.

Also, yes. You described what I'm doing perfectly.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

They cannot resist.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    Also, yes. You described what I'm doing perfectly.
    I wonder how I guessed?
    Last edited by LordZarth; 2009-06-08 at 09:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

So, uh, Zeta. I have a question. Who was Zihaja before he became Zihaja? *Furtively hopes Afro doesn't notice* Come on, Zeta, you can tell us...
    Last edited by LordZarth; 2009-06-08 at 09:35 PM.