New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default [PrC] The Chord of Cthulhu

Zann Prodigy

A Zann Prodigy is in touch with the natural harmony of the multiverse. They are constantly listening for the discord that tells of something ultimately wrong occurring... something abominable and unnatural. They are the first to know when an Elder Evil turns its gaze upon us, or when an aberration is near. When they detect such a discord they seek it out, attempting to drown out the noise as it were with their own prodigious skill.

Becoming A Zann Prodigy
    Zann prodigies tend to be bards almost exclusively, but nearly any being with a talent for music can take this class. Many of those discover the path after an encounter with something unnatural that they tried to scare or lead away with music.

Hit Die: d6

Prerequisites
    To qualify to become a Zann Prodigy, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Feats: Lingering Song
    Skills: Knowledge (nature) +8, Knowledge (underground or forbidden) +4, Listen +8, Perform (any instrument) +6
    Special: Must have a type whose body and soul have a dual nature and are natural. As such non-native Outsiders, Elementals, Aberrations and similar cannot take this class.

Class Skills
    The Zann Prodigy's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Knowledge (nature) and Knowledge (Underground), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Con), and Perform (any) (Cha).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Zann Prodigy prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Zann Prodigies gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day/Powers Known: At each level indicated, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known if applicable) as if you had gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belong before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Zann Prodigy, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Alternatively, at each level above first, you gain new powers per day, an increase in manifester level, and powers known as if you had also gained a level in a manifesting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one manifesting class before becoming a Zann Prodigy, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining powers per day, manifester level, and powers known.

If you have both spellcaster levels and manifester levels upon gaining a level as a Zann Prodigy, you must choose which class gains the benefit of this ability. You cannot increase both your spellcasting and manifesting levels. At each level that grants this ability, however, you can choose to improve either your spellcaster level or your manifester level. Choosing one way does not restrict you to the same choice when you gain your next level.

Countersong (Su): A Zann Prodigy with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music to counter magical effects that depend on sound (but not spells that simply have verbal components). Each round of the countersong, he makes a Perform check. Any creature within 30 feet of the prodigy (including the prodigy himself) that is affected by a sonic or language-dependent magical attack may use the prodigy’s Perform check result in place of its saving throw if, after the saving throw is rolled, the Perform check result proves to be higher. If a creature within range of the countersong is already under the effect of a non-instantaneous sonic or language-dependent magical attack, it gains another saving throw against the effect each round it hears the countersong, but it must use the prodigy’s Perform check result for the save. Countersong has no effect against effects that don’t allow saves. The prodigy may keep up the countersong for 10 rounds.

Uncanny Ear (Ex): A Zann Prodigy may make a listen check to detect unnatural life forms. This includes aberrations, outsiders from the Outter Realm, and worshipers of unhuman gods. This ability functions as the spell detect aberrations (see Lords of Madness, p. 211) except if the strongest evil aura’s power is overwhelming (see below), and the HD or level of the aura’s source is at least twice your character level, you are deafened for 1 minute. Once they have determined such a creature is present they must continue to listen carefully, each round hearing something new as described in the spell specifics.
    This ability is not hindered by airless environs or areas of silence, as the prodigy is actually feeling the resonance of the natural order itself.

Zann Prodigy Music:
    Zann Prodigy music follows the same rules as Bardic Music. Zann Prodigies levels stack with bard levels for the purpose of determining how often a character can use Zann Prodigy music or bardic music. Zann prodigy levels do not stack with bard levels for determining which songs a bard has access to.

Inspire Madness (Su): Despite their dedication to fighting the madness beyond, a Zann Prodigy cannot help but be affected in their music by those they abhor. A Zann Prodigy with 9 or more ranks in an instrumental Perform skill can use his music to weaken one's mind. To be affected they must be able to hear the Zann Prodigy play. The effect lasts for as long as they hear the prodigy play and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected being takes a -2 penalty to will saves and -2 penalty to Confusion and Fear affects. Both penalties stack.

Music of the Outer Spheres (Ex): At 3rd level a Zann Prodigy gains Music of the Outter Spheres as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. He cannot use the Vitalize Aberration function of this feat. Instead, they take a penalty equal to the bonus they would normally gain.

Begone to the Beyond (Su): A Zann Prodigy with 11 or more ranks in an instrumental perform skill he can use his music to stabilize the boundaries of reality with his music. Those attempting to use a spell/power or spell-like/psi-like ability with the teleportation or calling descriptor must succeed on a caster level check equal to the prodigy's perform check or waste that spell/power points/use. The effect lasts for as long as the prodigy plays and for and for a number of rounds equal to their ranks in that perform check thereafter.

At fifth level they may use up 5 uses of their Bardic Music to cause one of these affects.

Banish: Your music mirrors the effects of the Banishment spell, DC equal to the prodigy's perform check.
    Ward Portal: You may cause a specified doorway or magical portal to resonate with your music so that an aberration or outsider from the outer planes can only pass if it makes a successful will save equal to your perform check. Otherwise it cannot use the doorway or portal and takes 3d6 damage. An attempt to destroy the door or portal counts as an attempt to pass through it. You can maintain this effect indefinitely, but can only sustain one warded portal at any time.

Zann's Sacrifice (Su): At 5th level a Zann Prodigy may perform the ultimate sacrifice. He may go into a state of pure melodic insanity where his playing rises to an impossible pitch. He may take 1 point of Wisdom drain for a +5 bonus to a single perform check and at the end of the performance is Shaken. There is no limit to how many points he may drain at a time, but if he must he can reduce himself to 0 points. At this point he dies, his mind and soul going to the protective sanctuary of the afterlife. His body however remains, becoming naught but a vessel for the music. He performs without stopping, forever continuing his song and whatever affect he is producing, regardless of it's time limit. He is considered to have the Construct type for the purpose of it's abilities and has no mental scores or Constitution score. He is still capable of being resurrected, and if such occurs the music immediately stops.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-22 at 12:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PrC] The Chord of Cthulhu

1st of all, thank you, sir, for making a PrC based on my favorite more obscure lovecraft novel (meaning not Shadow Over Innsmouth).

However...
    Seems kindof weak. The only really powerful ability they get is begone to beyond, with the cool and potentially insanely high DC banishment spell. However, other than this, he gets a few bonuses to aberrations, some bard abilities and... that's about it. To make things run more evenly, I'd add another spellcasting progression level, and maybe 3/4 BAB.
    Also, what's up with sunken song as a prerequisite? It's useless for, say, those who prefer to tame their eldritch horrors with a violin.
    Nevertheless, I'd take levels in it, if only for the awesome flavor.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You have my undying respect
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If one of them has 8 ranks in Perform(Woodwind), and 2 in Perform(Sing), and is without their oboe, can they use singing to do Countersong? Because if they can then there is no reason for the rank requirements since if they drop below 6 ranks in that skill they lose the class.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

looks like a cool concept, however i have a few problems with it.

namely the fact that it is easier to detect the "wrongness" of a first level elan warrior, than that of a gigantic unspeakable horror from the far realm.

and Zann's Sacrifice, i can sacrifice my very SANITY in order to...
    ... play music really well. am i missing something here?
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

That that perform check can be used to provide an 80 or so on the saving throws of against the maddening chittering that leaks from the pile of rock that the eldritch horror is burried under after the cleric of Moradin managed to cause a massive avalache since no way could be found of destroying it? Thus allowing the area to be watched over for the slightest shifting of the rock that might indicate it starting to break free?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    However, other than this, he gets a few bonuses to aberrations, some bard abilities and... that's about it. To make things run more evenly, I'd add another spellcasting progression level, and maybe 3/4 BAB.
    It already does have 3/4 BAB (just typo'd) but better spellcasting progression would make sense.

Also, what's up with sunken song as a prerequisite? It's useless for, say, those who prefer to tame their eldritch horrors with a violin.
    Crap, forgot it requires vocals, thought I remembered it just being perform with music.

namely the fact that it is easier to detect the "wrongness" of a first level elan warrior, than that of a gigantic unspeakable horror from the far realm.
    Meant to adjust that.

and Zann's Sacrifice, i can sacrifice my very SANITY in order to...
    ... play music really well. am i missing something here?
    Mix that with certain bardic feats or a higher bard progression and that can actually become incredibly unbalanced. Also, by this level it's likely someone in your part can heal drain.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2009-06-10 at 12:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Woah. That is one of the most hardcore bards I've ever seen. Cool. Especially the ultimate sacrifice thing.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Mix that with certain bardic feats or a higher bard progression and that can actually become incredibly unbalanced. Also, by this level it's likely someone in your part can heal drain.
    Actually, when I saw that I though of the ability this class gets that let's them close a gate forever. Sacrifice your sanity for a +50 or so to Perform checks, you can hold that gate closed for all time.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

So completely epic it really boggles the mind. Well done, sir.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Actually, when I saw that I though of the ability this class gets that let's them close a gate forever. Sacrifice your sanity for a +50 or so to Perform checks, you can hold that gate closed for all time.
    That to

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I assume destroying their body after an ultimate sacrifice causes the effect to end in the same time period as the effect would normally end (immediately, 5 rounds later, whatever)?
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I assume destroying their body after an ultimate sacrifice causes the effect to end in the same time period as the effect would normally end (immediately, 5 rounds later, whatever)?
    Yup, as you say.