New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class: The Engineer [3.5; PEACH]

Dynamo Cannon!

Never leave.

A possible Vocation might be to add on range; a snipery sort of one. Make it useful to the surveyor 'chain' and then you've made a hybrid! :V

And if you really want a companion, another vocation could just give you a familiar pulling from a limited little list that is basically 'effigy creature XYZ, Animated Object, Those Little Beetles That Are Metal Named (which I can't remember :V), (with levels) Hammerer, Pulverizer, so on, so forth, maybe a babby version of the item familiar that isn't ridiculously broken', with further vocations to make the thing better.

That'd be the simplest way to do it.

Also:

"150gp per character level" for making the Dynamo Cannon. That's a bit unfair, isn't it? Someone who decides to pick up the more gun route gets kinda screwed by this (even though I know it's not a lot of money AT ALL, logically, it sticks out.).
    Last edited by Karma Guard; 2009-06-12 at 08:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Guard View Post
    A possible Vocation might be to add on range; a snipery sort of one. Make it useful to the surveyor 'chain' and then you've made a hybrid! :V
    Ah, good idea.

And if you really want a companion, another vocation could just give you a familiar pulling from a limited little list that is basically 'effigy creature XYZ, Animated Object, Those Little Beetles That Are Metal Named (which I can't remember :V), (with levels) Hammerer, Pulverizer, so on, so forth, maybe a babby version of the item familiar that isn't ridiculously broken', with further vocations to make the thing better.
    Honestly, I really, really don't want to give an engineer a mechanical companion. Especially they already exist; they're called homonculi.

"150gp per character level" for making the Dynamo Cannon. That's a bit unfair, isn't it? Someone who decides to pick up the more gun route gets kinda screwed by this (even though I know it's not a lot of money AT ALL, logically, it sticks out.).
    How is that worse than the 1,000 that a suit of mecharmor costs?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Just curious, but in regards to the costs on vocations, are those one time fees, or do they for some reason have to pay them every time they level even if they don't do anything to the equipment that should require cost. Also, why should it cost more to take them at higher levels than lower levels when there is nothing that makes them better by doing so? Or is the cost only paid when you take it or one of the vocations that require it, and in that case is the cost the amount times the player level or the level required to take the vocation?

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post

Without mecharmor, an engineer can already sub-tank utilizing Precision in place of their BAB, go straight skill-monkey with lots of crafting prowess, pick up some battlefield control with the Vernacular Architecture vocations, and even cancel out magic with the Neuroarcanics vocations. Heck, they could go heal-bot if their party consists of constructs (circa Eberron). So, yeah, I'd argue that an engineer has at least 5 party options, without the use of mecharmor
    Yes, but an engineer with a mechanical companion can do at least two of those things at once, like Druids with animal companions.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

This is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen, I am definitely showing it to my DM this weekend.

I may have missed it in my skimming of the topic, but how about melee vocations in a similar vein to the dynamo cannon. Like I dunno...a drill/pick/chainweapon that can be charged with different elements, used with or without the mech armor.

And maybe a choice of capstones. One could be the mobile fortress. Another creates uber mecharmor complete with Super Robot traits. Possibly even transformation. And if you took the drill, a Giga Drill breaker of course. And Sunglasses.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Just curious, but in regards to the costs on vocations, are those one time fees, or do they for some reason have to pay them every time they level even if they don't do anything to the equipment that should require cost. Also, why should it cost more to take them at higher levels than lower levels when there is nothing that makes them better by doing so? Or is the cost only paid when you take it or one of the vocations that require it, and in that case is the cost the amount times the player level or the level required to take the vocation?
    Mmm, I'm gonna work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Yes, but an engineer with a mechanical companion can do at least two of those things at once, like Druids with animal companions.
    Druids are also massively over powered. Sorry, but I'm standing firm on this one. It would definitely be worth a Prestige Class, though

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    This is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen, I am definitely showing it to my DM this weekend.
    You flatter me with your kind words

I may have missed it in my skimming of the topic, but how about melee vocations in a similar vein to the dynamo cannon. Like I dunno...a drill/pick/chainweapon that can be charged with different elements, used with or without the mech armor.
    I like the idea. I think I'll tweak Thermal Transfer and possibly add in a new vocation.

And maybe a choice of capstones. One could be the mobile fortress. Another creates uber mecharmor complete with Super Robot traits. Possibly even transformation. And if you took the drill, a Giga Drill breaker of course. And Sunglasses.
    Multiple capstones...I like it.

Engineer: PIERCE THE HEAVENS WITH YOUR DRILL!!!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

I really love this class and I think it would make an excellent addition to my campaign setting Orcs Unite! (if players ask that is; I did say I was allowing homebrew), since it's got a deal of technology paired with magic.

Although mender's touch doesn't really make sense. Standard action? That's like 3 seconds. In 3 seconds, you can't even screw in a nut - they can be darn tight after all. For the sake of fluff, I'd say that the engineer does, in fact, use a bit of magic (which is obvious after you look at the first of his vocations which give him spell-like abilities).

Mender's touch might simply be the result of his outlook on magic, his knowledge of the sciences allowed him to naturally learn how to customize a mend spell right from level one through pure innovation (he thought it out for a really long time and then eventually realized that he could do it). This doesn't necessarily mean he studies magic, since he doesn't understand every little intricacy that a wizard supposedly claims to understand about magic.
    -----
    Some guidelines on raw material costs for building, maintaining and repairing mecharmor would be nice.
    What about modifying? Of course, for my campaign I could easily rule a techcraft check to modify and reduce it when it assumes that the engineer is more familiar with the mecharmor since they built it themselves.

There'd also be material and/or parts costs for modification which can be at GM discretion (I already made rules for parts in OU).

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy
    Blah Blah capstone ability blah
    What about capstone vocation(s)? Some of them (or perhaps all) wouldn't have any prerequisites except requiring that the engineer be 20th level. Perhaps you could also sectionalize them into something called 'capstone vocation' which can only be taken every ten levels or whatever to prevent abuse in epic levels when an engineer ends up taking all of the capstone vocations in say, an ECL 30 game.

I was also thinking that, as a higher level vocation, the dynamo cannon could create portals - temporal dimension doors. Also the ability to teleport enemies that you attack to random locations - or locations that you program (programming might be a decipher script check or whatever) as a touch attack.

Would demand an appropriate saving throw from the enemy and is sort of magical in itself.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-06-12 at 11:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    I really love this class and I think it would make an excellent addition to my campaign setting Orcs Unite! (if players ask that is; I did say I was allowing homebrew), since it's got a deal of technology paired with magic.
    Thankee greatly!

Although mender's touch doesn't really make sense. Standard action? That's like 3 seconds. In 3 seconds, you can't even screw in a nut - they can be darn tight after all. For the sake of fluff, I'd say that the engineer does, in fact, use a bit of magic (which is obvious after you look at the first of his vocations which give him spell-like abilities).

Mender's touch might simply be the result of his outlook on magic, his knowledge of the sciences allowed him to naturally learn how to customize a mend spell right from level one through pure innovation (he thought it out for a really long time and then eventually realized that he could do it). This doesn't necessarily mean he studies magic, since he doesn't understand every little intricacy that a wizard supposedly claims to understand about magic.
    ...Mender's touch is a Supernatural Ability. And, yes, you pretty much summed up the relations between engineers and magic right there.

What about modifying? Of course, for my campaign I could easily rule a techcraft check to modify and reduce it when it assumes that the engineer is more familiar with the mecharmor since they built it themselves.

There'd also be material and/or parts costs for modification which can be at GM discretion (I already made rules for parts in OU).
    Seriously, simplicity is crucial. Stuff like this starts to get complicated for the more casual players. Besides, many of the vocations are pretty much modifications. I just don't feel the need to stat out every aspect of an engineer's talents specifically when a neat little series of vocations works just fine.

What about capstone vocation(s)? Some of them (or perhaps all) wouldn't have any prerequisites except requiring that the engineer be 20th level. Perhaps you could also sectionalize them into something called 'capstone vocation' which can only be taken every ten levels or whatever to prevent abuse in epic levels when an engineer ends up taking all of the capstone vocations in say, an ECL 30 game.
    That would fall under "The Epic Engineer."

I was also thinking that, as a higher level vocation, the dynamo cannon could create portals - temporal dimension doors. Also the ability to teleport enemies that you attack to random locations - or locations that you program (programming might be a decipher script check or whatever) as a touch attack.
    Portal guns. Great idea!
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-06-12 at 11:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

First of all, this class is so amazing that it pushed me over the fence to make an account so I could ask questions and make comments. Thanks!!

Questions:

1) I'm not sure I completely understand the amount of innovation points. Is it amount + (int modifier) (level) or just amount + (int modifier)

If the latter, wouldn't it be better to make it more like the psionic points? I mean a good int is nice at the begging, but eventually you would have enough innovation points and skill points to make choosing Int as one of your main stats less than desirable

2) Does the mecharmor increased size stack with Monkey grip: If so, someone that starts with large size, uses monkey grip, a mecharmor and a heavy material weapon could get 4 size advancements, which would make it very scary (don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a massive weapon, but I was just curious if this is within what you wanted)

3) Would engineer by the favored class for gnome?

4) Can they multiclass with Barbarian? This would seem a bit odd, and maybe trying to take advantage on stacking the rage + the mecharmor

Suggestion and comments

How about adding an equivalent to improved critical? Like giving a 18-20 crit range, but if you do you an only evolve the weapon twice

I think that the best idea is giving different caps for the different builds, some ideas could be

AT field:

Activate for 5 points, you can keep it up for 2 points per turn.
    Requirments: Mecharmor, 2X armor reinforcements
    You make a 5' radius field that dissipates incoming physical and magic attacks (or you could give a 10+engineer level+Int modifier SR and a 20+engineer level+Int modifier AC. Activating and holding the field is a full round action and no attacks can come from inside the field. (Yes, this was inspired on Evangelion, ).

Zero-Drive (stolen from the Gundam series):

Activate for 6 points, you can keep it up for 3 points per turn.
    Requirments: Mecharmor, Overdrive
    You use your incredible intellect to gain an insight on the battlefield, predicting movements, finding weaknesses and preempting enemies
    After you activate (swift action), you become the first in the initiative order for next round. You gain a +4 bonus to Attack and +6 to AC (maybe a bit more, since it's a cap...)

Iron man (hopefully, no need to explain where this came from)
    Requirements: mecharmor, maximized natural weapon damage
    You make the armor smaller, give it flight, more DR, more strength and make it restricted to using the natural weapons

Charge Cannon (megamanX ftw)
    Requirements: Maxed out cannon damage
    You charge your weapon for X turns (charging is a full round action)
    You do one blast at your maximum attack bonus + #of turns charging
    You deal damage X(#of rounds charging + 1). Stacks with critical
    If you move more than 5 feet a turn, you loose the charging (but you still expend the points)
    Cost: A sort of Fibonacci series depending on the number of turns, like
    I can just imagine an engineer saying, "you guys hold him for 30 seconds" and then blasting the crap away of the boss after all the party has been acting as meat shields

I also want to say how much I thank you for this awesome class!! I've been a DM for a while now and it's been a long time since I've gotten so exited about playing as a character with a class. My comments are meant with the best of intentions

Drothmal

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

[Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Random ideas:

1) Flying potion-dispensers as a vocation. Build a gizmo, select a target, it goes and attacks it with potion contents (be it cure X wounds or Super Acid).

2) On that topic, improved consumables as a vocation. Chemist Major, or some such. Some other people have stated it. I disagree that there can be too many Vocations (HOWEVER: you might want to separate them into different 'trees' for ease of use).

3) For a capstone idea...

Spoiler
    Show
    Easily Inspired
    Every moment seems to inspire you with some new hair-brained scheme.
    Every time you successfully make a spot, listen, search, or knowledge check by 5 points or more over the needed DC, you regain 2 inspiration points.
    Every time you knock an enemy to or below 0 hit points, you gain 3 inspiration points.
    Every time an ally within 60' of you is knocked to 25% or less of their maximum hit points, you gain 4 inspiration points.
    Every time YOU are knocked to or below 25% of your hit points, you regain 1 inspiration point for every 2 points of damage you have taken.

Eh? Eh? Kind of unbalances the class a smidge, but at that level wizards are waltzing around turning their familiars into Spell-Stitched Dire Half-Red-Dragon Young Adult Black Dragons and making their own demiplanes, so being able to keep up the effort might help.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

How is that worse than the 1,000 that a suit of mecharmor costs?
    I don't care about armor ( ._.)9 MORE GUN LESS RUN

And I totally forgot about homunculi. Those will do nicely.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow. Great class, but in my opinion, the mecharmor needs expanding.
    1st of all, it needs some better arsenal. How about being able to enchant the cannon? There needs to be some scaling in its abilities, or it will be quickly outdated.
    Also- attatchable blades. Give it a greatsword, and maybe a vocation for a mundane shocking burst enchantment on it- running electricity through the blade.
    Also, jetpacks. The mecharmor needs jetpacks. And hydraulic arms, for additional strength bonuses.
    All in all, consider scaling things. The cost of the mecharmor scales- why not its abilities? Beyond just a speed bonus, I mean. Make the natural attacks and armor bonus gain an enhancement bonus equal to engineer level/4 (rounded down, of course). Maybe allow a vocation to customize where the enhancement bonus goes, so you can trade a +1 for keen, or something like that.
    Anyhow, I hope you'll take my suggestions into consideration. Looks like it could be a lot of fun to play.

One last thing- can you take a feat for extra vocations?
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2009-06-13 at 07:43 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

My only thought would be: Can one apply magic item abilities to the dynamo cannon as a ranged weapon and/or the mech as armour? If not at high levels they become outdated as magic armour + boots of speed + belt of giant strength is for the most part a better option

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drothmal View Post
    First of all, this class is so amazing that it pushed me over the fence to make an account so I could ask questions and make comments. Thanks!!

Questions:

1) I'm not sure I completely understand the amount of innovation points. Is it amount + (int modifier) (level) or just amount + (int modifier)

If the latter, wouldn't it be better to make it more like the psionic points? I mean a good int is nice at the begging, but eventually you would have enough innovation points and skill points to make choosing Int as one of your main stats less than desirable

2) Does the mecharmor increased size stack with Monkey grip: If so, someone that starts with large size, uses monkey grip, a mecharmor and a heavy material weapon could get 4 size advancements, which would make it very scary (don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a massive weapon, but I was just curious if this is within what you wanted)

3) Would engineer by the favored class for gnome?

4) Can they multiclass with Barbarian? This would seem a bit odd, and maybe trying to take advantage on stacking the rage + the mecharmor

Suggestion and comments

How about adding an equivalent to improved critical? Like giving a 18-20 crit range, but if you do you an only evolve the weapon twice

I think that the best idea is giving different caps for the different builds, some ideas could be

AT field:

Activate for 5 points, you can keep it up for 2 points per turn.
    Requirments: Mecharmor, 2X armor reinforcements
    You make a 5' radius field that dissipates incoming physical and magic attacks (or you could give a 10+engineer level+Int modifier SR and a 20+engineer level+Int modifier AC. Activating and holding the field is a full round action and no attacks can come from inside the field. (Yes, this was inspired on Evangelion, ).

Zero-Drive (stolen from the Gundam series):

Activate for 6 points, you can keep it up for 3 points per turn.
    Requirments: Mecharmor, Overdrive
    You use your incredible intellect to gain an insight on the battlefield, predicting movements, finding weaknesses and preempting enemies
    After you activate (swift action), you become the first in the initiative order for next round. You gain a +4 bonus to Attack and +6 to AC (maybe a bit more, since it's a cap...)

Iron man (hopefully, no need to explain where this came from)
    Requirements: mecharmor, maximized natural weapon damage
    You make the armor smaller, give it flight, more DR, more strength and make it restricted to using the natural weapons

Charge Cannon (megamanX ftw)
    Requirements: Maxed out cannon damage
    You charge your weapon for X turns (charging is a full round action)
    You do one blast at your maximum attack bonus + #of turns charging
    You deal damage X(#of rounds charging + 1). Stacks with critical
    If you move more than 5 feet a turn, you loose the charging (but you still expend the points)
    Cost: A sort of Fibonacci series depending on the number of turns, like
    I can just imagine an engineer saying, "you guys hold him for 30 seconds" and then blasting the crap away of the boss after all the party has been acting as meat shields

I also want to say how much I thank you for this awesome class!! I've been a DM for a while now and it's been a long time since I've gotten so exited about playing as a character with a class. My comments are meant with the best of intentions

Drothmal
    Welcome to the forums! Your compliments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

1) "An engineer receives innovation points in the amount listed on the table, plus his Intelligence modifier, on a daily basis." So, yes, number on the table + Intelligence modifier.

Also, what do you mean about the Innovation? Are you implying that it's bad to have too many skill points?

2) I have no idea if Powerful Build stacks with Monkey Grip. The feat has gained too much infamy to get a clear source on it, and I don't own that book. Anyone got an answer? (although, to my limited understanding, I don't think it will be a problem).

3) I'm sure someone is probably gonna houserule that in.

4) Sure, although I imagine they'd stack the Rage with the Overdrive.

What do you mean "made the mecharmor a requirement?" That was the one thing I was specifically trying not to do with the class. It's an engineer, not a mechwarrior (although you can totally build one to be that way)

Quote Originally Posted by 0650 View Post
    My only thought would be: Can one apply magic item abilities to the dynamo cannon as a ranged weapon and/or the mech as armour? If not at high levels they become outdated as magic armour + boots of speed + belt of giant strength is for the most part a better option
    It's a weapon, isn't it? Of course you can!

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    Random ideas:

1) Flying potion-dispensers as a vocation. Build a gizmo, select a target, it goes and attacks it with potion contents (be it cure X wounds or Super Acid).

2) On that topic, improved consumables as a vocation. Chemist Major, or some such. Some other people have stated it. I disagree that there can be too many Vocations (HOWEVER: you might want to separate them into different 'trees' for ease of use).

3) For a capstone idea...

Spoiler
    Show
    Easily Inspired
    Every moment seems to inspire you with some new hair-brained scheme.
    Every time you successfully make a spot, listen, search, or knowledge check by 5 points or more over the needed DC, you regain 2 inspiration points.
    Every time you knock an enemy to or below 0 hit points, you gain 3 inspiration points.
    Every time an ally within 60' of you is knocked to 25% or less of their maximum hit points, you gain 4 inspiration points.
    Every time YOU are knocked to or below 25% of your hit points, you regain 1 inspiration point for every 2 points of damage you have taken.

Eh? Eh? Kind of unbalances the class a smidge, but at that level wizards are waltzing around turning their familiars into Spell-Stitched Dire Half-Red-Dragon Young Adult Black Dragons and making their own demiplanes, so being able to keep up the effort might help.
    1) Not a lot of synergy, since these guys don't make the greatest alchemists.

2) Separating the ideas into trees was the original idea, and one that didn't work out too well, hence why I'm limiting the number of vocations.

3) It's a great idea, but they're Innovation points, so the fluff doesn't fit in quite as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Wow. Great class, but in my opinion, the mecharmor needs expanding.
    1st of all, it needs some better arsenal. How about being able to enchant the cannon? There needs to be some scaling in its abilities, or it will be quickly outdated.
    Also- attatchable blades. Give it a greatsword, and maybe a vocation for a mundane shocking burst enchantment on it- running electricity through the blade.
    Also, jetpacks. The mecharmor needs jetpacks. And hydraulic arms, for additional strength bonuses.
    All in all, consider scaling things. The cost of the mecharmor scales- why not its abilities? Beyond just a speed bonus, I mean. Make the natural attacks and armor bonus gain an enhancement bonus equal to engineer level/4 (rounded down, of course). Maybe allow a vocation to customize where the enhancement bonus goes, so you can trade a +1 for keen, or something like that.
    Anyhow, I hope you'll take my suggestions into consideration. Looks like it could be a lot of fun to play.

One last thing- can you take a feat for extra vocations?
    Maybe some scaling, although the greatsword idea is kind of silly (you can just pick up Martial Weapon Proficiency).

Edit: Not at the moment, no.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-06-14 at 10:54 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, someone suggested that they all should get it and for some reason I thought you had adopted that and edited it into the main post...

Ok, so they don't HAVE to have mech-armor... would creating a parallel class for gnomish engineers who are members of the Society be worth it do you think?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow. This looks really incredible. Great job! I'm trying to think of ideas for a suitable capstone right now.

One quick question: if you can only get Mecharmour at level 3, what's the point of having a speed bonus listed on the table for levels 1 and 2?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

You can get a dig speed at level 1. It and the climb speed also use the speed bonus table.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, good catch. Never mind! Great class!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    Ah, good catch. Never mind! Great class!
    Thankee

And thank you, Owrthro, for doing some of my Q&A for me.

21. - Top - End - #81

Holy Nine Hells

Only got one thing to say to that:
    Let's just say that you should wait until Sunday rolls around. Although it may take a while before you actually see that.

It's past the weekend. A NEED MA' MEGA DRILL.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

The important part is the "Although it may take a while before you actually see that." I was implying that it was one of the new weapons I'll be introducing in my campaign setting, which may take a while before anyone sees it.

I might post them up separately; I just hadn't originally planned to do so.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-06-15 at 10:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83

The important part is the "Although it may take a while before you actually see that." I was implying that it was one of the new weapons I'll be introducing in my campaign setting, which may take a while before anyone sees it.

I might post them up separately; I just hadn't originally planned to do so.
    Now all you get is this:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar Ditto View Post
    Now all you get is this:
    Well, I ain't posting them here; don't wanna derail the thread

25. - Top - End - #85

Well, I ain't posting them here; don't wanna derail the thread
    Okay but you at least have to post a link to your campaign world. If you do I'ss throw across lake Michigan and give you back a .

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

1) "An engineer receives innovation points in the amount listed on the table, plus his Intelligence modifier, on a daily basis." So, yes, number on the table + Intelligence modifier.

Also, what do you mean about the Innovation? Are you implying that it's bad to have too many skill points?

Sorry, I did not explain myself properly: I was thinking that maybe the innovation points should depend on Int the same way that power points for psionics depend on Wis (that is, a progression of how many innovation points you get out of a certain intelligence modifier).

I think is great to have so many skill points! It totally fits with the class and I love it. I was just thinking that there should be more of an incentive in increasing the Int even further than a +3 or +4 (in which case you would have 10 SP per level, which I always think as a lot). Even though I guess you need a high Int for things such as the overdrive and such... I was just thinking that there were many possible builds in which having a very high Int might not be a priority, which feels wrong in my mind... Sorry if this statement is confusing. I'm having a hard time expressing what is bothering me about it.

Btw, what did you think of the caps?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Asked this before, and all you said is you were going to work on that. Wondered if you had come up with anything in regaurds to it or were still working on it. I myself would recomend something along the lines of that the cost is x per minimum level of the vocation and must be paid when taking the first vocation and any vocations that require it before you get the benefits of said vocation. Thus upon taking the mecharmor you would pay 1000 x 3 =3000. taking any of the other level 3 vocations requireing mech armor (Armor Reinforcement or Ranged Artillery) would also cost 3000. Taking Overdrive or Weapon Augmentation which require level 6 would cost 6000, etc.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar Ditto View Post
    Okay but you at least have to post a link to your campaign world. If you do I'ss throw across lake Michigan and give you back a .
    The big honkin' banner in mah sig

Quote Originally Posted by Drothmal View Post

Sorry, I did not explain myself properly: I was thinking that maybe the innovation points should depend on Int the same way that power points for psionics depend on Wis (that is, a progression of how many innovation points you get out of a certain intelligence modifier).

I think is great to have so many skill points! It totally fits with the class and I love it. I was just thinking that there should be more of an incentive in increasing the Int even further than a +3 or +4 (in which case you would have 10 SP per level, which I always think as a lot). Even though I guess you need a high Int for things such as the overdrive and such... I was just thinking that there were many possible builds in which having a very high Int might not be a priority, which feels wrong in my mind... Sorry if this statement is confusing. I'm having a hard time expressing what is bothering me about it.

Btw, what did you think of the caps?
    Ah, I've gotcha' now. Intelligence is important to the class, but unlike a wizard, an engineer isn't going to be useless without it, which I put down as a good thing. But...putting in some more Intelligence-based abilities may not be a bad idea.

Asked this before, and all you said is you were going to work on that. Wondered if you had come up with anything in regaurds to it or were still working on it. I myself would recomend something along the lines of that the cost is x per minimum level of the vocation and must be paid when taking the first vocation and any vocations that require it before you get the benefits of said vocation. Thus upon taking the mecharmor you would pay 1000 x 3 =3000. taking any of the other level 3 vocations requireing mech armor (Armor Reinforcement or Ranged Artillery) would also cost 3000. Taking Overdrive or Weapon Augmentation which require level 6 would cost 6000, etc.

Owrtho
    Ah, sorry, I get distracted and forget things easily. That idea is waaay better than what I planned to do. I'll put that up with haste!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, sorry, I get distracted and forget things easily. That idea is waaay better than what I planned to do. I'll put that up with haste!

Glad to see you like the idea (it also takes care of the main problem I had with the class). Though I'd suggest wording it slightly differently so that it is clear that the additional cost is for when each additional vocation is taken.

maybe "____ requires x gp. Plus an additional x gp must be spent when taking each vocation with the ____ as a prerequisite before the benefits come into effect." rather than "____ requires x gp plus an additional x gp for each vocation with the ____ as a prerequisite."

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

30. - Top - End - #90

The big honkin' banner in mah sig
    OK, I is happy now