New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Your Worst Nightmare

So what's the single worst nightmare you've ever had?

I know what mine is. I've reapeatedly had this one where I'm running away from sometihng that is trying to kill me and I wake up just before/as it does. I get up and go to leave the room and just as I do, it pops out of concealment and finishes the job. It's really annoying to wake up and not know if you're actually awake or not. The only way to find out is to open that door...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Your Worst Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post

I know what mine is. I've reapeatedly had this one where I'm running away from sometihng that is trying to kill me and I wake up just before/as it does. I get up and go to leave the room and just as I do, it pops out of concealment and finishes the job. It's really annoying to wake up and not know if you're actually awake or not. The only way to find out is to open that door...
    My worst ones are always the ones that have me dreaming my normal routine. They feel so real. I recently had one in which I got up for work and went to the bathroom do to my normal shower/get ready for work system. As soon as I got in the bathroom I turned around and there was this tall, hooded death-like man standing there grinning evilly. My heart about stopped.

My other bad dreams are caused by my stupid ceiling fan. My eyes have a habit of opening partially while sleeping and when they see the fan, they interpret it as a gigantic spider dangling down from its web to land on my face. This always ends by me swatting wildly and dashing out of my bedroom. I'm usually not awake until I'm somewhere in the kitchen, and I used to inspect my room for several minutes before I felt safe enough to sleep again. Took me forever to figure out what was causing that dream to happen over and over.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Some dude busts down the door to my house, holding a knife, and goes, "Time for some fun!!!"

And then I wake up, and check that the door is still there. Call me paranoid.
    Last edited by Logalmier; 2009-06-09 at 05:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

You know those nightmares, where you try to run, but you can't move?

My worst nightmare, is where that's happening, but I'm just trying to walk home. It's an otherwise ordinary scenario, but I can't move foward. It's worse than any cosmic horror I could and do conceive of.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post

My worst nightmare, is where that's happening, but I'm just trying to walk home. It's an otherwise ordinary scenario, but I can't move foward. It's worse than any cosmic horror I could and do conceive of.
    I used to have that exact dream frequently just prior to high school graduation when I felt like my future wasn't going anywhere. I don't know if all dreams can be so easily interpreted, but that one usually seems to indicate an extreme frustration with your current situation in life.

If you're having that dream in recent days, I'd recommend doing a survey of things and seeing what you can change to get moving again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LXH View Post
    I used to have that exact dream frequently just prior to high school graduation when I felt like my future wasn't going anywhere. I don't know if all dreams can be so easily interpreted, but that one usually seems to indicate an extreme frustration with your current situation in life.

If you're having that dream in recent days, I'd recommend doing a survey of things and seeing what you can change to get moving again.
    Collin's life never goes anywhere.
    In fact, that's what he was thinking about before having that dream... about how he has no particular reason to live, goal, drive, or dream. Limbo.

My subconcious is a genius.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mine is where there are these little grey spheres on a black background, moving around, being replaced with larger ones, until suddenly there's one that's huge, and I have this really strong feeling of hopelessness at seeing it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post

I have dreams when I must run/move swiftly.

And I can move... But my moves are completely slow, clumsy and powerless.

When I'm slowly waking up, I feel how I'm really trying to move, but I can't since my muscles are still blocked beacuse of sleeping.

It's kinda irritating.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

A dinosaur once tried to be my best friend. After it escaped, caused mayhem and destruction, and ate my family.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

That one where robots were torturing me to induce a seizure and then I had one and now I can't drive.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Huh. I just posted about my various 'nightmarish' things in my dreams in the Fear thread... I'll quote it XD .

Then, I've got lots of 'dream fears', if I can call them that. I remember many of my dreams, sometimes quite vividly, and there are recurring unfavorable themes. They include: choking/drowning in my own bile built up in my mouth (and being unable to open my mouth or breathe through my nose), being naked/almost naked in public (distinctly embarrassing and helpless), being chased (various chasers/situations), falling in attempts to fly, being forced to drive a car over ridiculously dangerous terrain without knowing how to drive, finding myself unable to scream or make any noise due to shear raw terror despite attempting to, being lost and alone in some foreign and scary territory, terribly painful and gruesome things happening to my teeth... there may be a couple others, but that's what I remember for now. These are all the 'recurring themes'; one-off scary dreams don't count.
    These parts of my dreams tend to feel very vivid, rather realistic, so when I wake up and remember them, I remember it as well as a memory. If pain is involved in the dream (teeth-related ones fit here), sometimes the pain can be quite... er, painful. And you can distinctly feel the time ticking down while it's happening during the dream, you know what I mean? So you feel every long second of it :/ . Grr!

The thing about not being able to walk forward, I've had that a couple times, but it's the 'not being able to scream' thing that's the worst, which is pretty similar.

- - -

My first worst nightmare, which lasted pretty long as #1 worst, was one from when I was a little child, of being in a large cave with my family poor and in rags, and then having this gigantic terrifying Muk-like monster come out and eat my father alive. Very gruesome, many screams from my eaten father and terrified family, and when I woke up my mother had to come and rub my belly and give me that pink medicine stuff.

- - -

After that, there was another one that was from sometime last year, not really 'terrifying' but very worrying on my part, was set in some kind of apocalyptic scenery... red skies, barren red terrain, I think chaos and running people... But I don't even remember why that was happening. It all sort of faded to the background when I was also running away, but saw my father's back from a distance. I came running up to him but saw that he was smoking a cigarette. I was shocked because he'd given up smoking a few months back... he looked at me and said something like "Sorry, but I just can't help it. I just can't quit." I was really upset in the dream, and then I woke up. It worried me, but I never mentioned it. Turns out he really did break, but was keeping it hidden. I learned for certain a few months afterwords.

- - -

And lastly, my definite #1 worst nightmare was a rather recent one (last couple months?). The premise was really silly, but it had felt so vividly real, even more so than usual, the emotions were almost as strong as they'd have probably been had it happened IRL.

My dad was out on the porch, when a bird or something had come down and hit him, straight to the head. It killed him, and I spent a good amount of the time after my dream thinking very distinct, complex, and detailed thoughts (which I can still recall) mulling over what had happened. My mother was hysterical, she didn't know what to do without my dad, and it was very sad. But not as sad as I should have been if my dad really died (which I thought about in-dream and hated myself for, and concluded that I was probably in shock and I should appreciate this for as long as I could before I actually crashed in realization). The scariest thought was trying to comprehend the idea that he was gone and could never, ever come back. The finality was so terrifying that I refused to let myself think about it. I didn't want to believe it, you know?

After that, it gets a bit fuzzy, some stuff happens, and I go out to the store to buy DVDs or something. There's one in particular that I want, but it's at the top of an escalator, so I try to reach it, but the escalator keeps going the opposite direction.

Then my dad comes from the top of the escalator with the DVD in hand and looks at me, cracks one of his jokes or something, and I'm standing there not believing he's alive. I conclude that I must be in some kind of dream, or illusion, or fantasy, and that this isn't actually happening (that my father is alive, not that my father is dead), so I try to take advantage of it, hoping it'll last for as long as possible. We stepped outside together, and then I suddenly grab him full-body, and my mind is screaming "I hate you I hate you I hate you!" because I'm so angry that I know he's dead and gone and that he left us, but out loud I don't want to say that to him so all I can yell is "I love you I love you I love you".

That's when I wake up. The dream felt so real, for a long moment with my eyes closed I still thought my father was dead. When I realized I was in bed, I slowly also realized that it must have been a dream, and I felt so relieved. But I still wasn't sure, so I went straight upstairs to my parent's room and poked my father to make sure he was alive. Yes he was XD . But it made me cry anyway D= . It was the scariest experience I've had in my life.

<3 ali
    Last edited by almyki; 2009-06-09 at 06:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

When I was a kid, I had a dream that I don't remember much of now. I remember being completely alone in the middle of the vast ocean. I was viewing it from third person, like I was seeing through a movie camera. I remember the...'camera' switching from viewing me to viewing a shark gliding along silently. They switched around a bit, different angles etc, until the shark met up with me. It didn't end well.

Words can't describe the pure fear that I experienced nor put the true image of what I saw in the dream into your heads.
    I woke up highly disturbed and phobias of water and sharks.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Back when I was somewhere between 3 and 5, I had a dream that involved one of those crocodile dentist gators. He was animated, and for some reason was out to get me. Then all of the sudden he started dancing changing colors; purple, blue, yellow with red moving stripes, polka doted, with the dots moving around. He also turned into a pear during this. I woke up scared witless. About half an hour later, I threw up, I blame the dream on me being sick.

Years later, I suppose that I can tell people I know what what an acid trip must be like though

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I was about to say, that one didn't actually sound like a nightmare at first

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I once dreamed that everything was made of spiders... even air. Uuuuuurgh...
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, some of these are really good!

I don't tend to have bad dreams, just odd ones, when I dream at all. I suppose my worst dream was the night after I watched the movie about Davy Crockett, and I dreamed he wanted to kill me for some reason.
    Avatar by neoseph7. Avatar hosted here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

When this occured, I was eight.

This is my home. The apartment complex where I have lived for the past two years. I'm normally not supposed to go here, to the "Other Side", because if my mom calls, I can't hear her.
    It is awfully dark and cold, right now.

Hey, the fence for the playground is open! It's making that squeaky, needs-oil sound. God, I hate that sound, let me close that.

Hello, <Name>.

Wow, that's a really scary voice, hollow and cold, my arms are prickly, now, like I've just pulled them from a tub of ice water.
    Don't close the gate. Come here. I want your blood. I want to drink your blood.

Fear grips my windpipe as I back away. Home, I should go home. Home is safe.
    I turn and run.

The... I can only describe it as a Vampire...
    The Vampire's loud, malicious laugh follows me as I pump my legs and run, the cold in the air being drawn into my lungs as I run. The coats the inside of my lungs, like a thin sheet of ice crystals.
    I tug at the door of the apartment, run inside and lock it.
    There is no-one else in the room. I wait and listen for what feels like hours. There is nothing, no sound. I'm safe.

I feel tired and walk to my bed, change into my pajamas and surl up under the covers, fear still inside my skin and ears wide open.
    I get more tired, and a chill breeze suddenly creeps up through one arm and down my back.
    You left you window open. Thanks for the invite.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post

I've had a recurring one very similar ever since I was a kid. It still terrifies me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dirky by Beans!
    Officially putting in for an extended leave of absence.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I'm walking along a pavement in my village, with a few trees and a green. Two men with black sunglasses in a black van drive up and shoot me. As I'm dying, I see them drive off again.

Always makes me wake up in a sweat. And I always hate walking round that area of my village.

The other bad ones are ones that involve injections. Which is because I am petrified by them (I faint, joy of joys).

Ooo, and there's the dream that petrified me as a kid. I was upstairs in a building in my town, with a window overlooking the street. I knew I had to get out of the building. Mum would sit there just reading, calm and tranquil, not knowing of the danger. There were three doors with pitch black darkness in them. I try and go out through them but always end up back in the room, or scared by the dark and running back.
    Last edited by Castaras; 2009-06-10 at 01:11 PM.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't had nightmares in a while (like 10 years at least), but from what I can remember, this is the worst one I've ever had.
    I dreamt that I was at the circus with my grandfather, and everything was going wonderful. Suddenly, the clowns become vampires and begin to chase us. They catch my grandad and vampirize him. Then my grandad hunts for me on my own, slowly gaining on my small toddler form, fangs bared, ready to drink my precious lifeblood.
    Then I woke up.
    Take into account that I was like 3/4/5 years old at the time.
    This avatar pierces the heavens and is by Miss Nobody!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.

"Whether it be impossible or laughable, Great men open up paths of battle! If there's a wall, we break it down! If there's no path, we'll make one with these hands! The heart's magma burns with flames!"

By Recaiden.
    Inner Circle

21. - Top - End - #21

I once had a dream that we (I'm not sure who "we" were, but "they" were very important to me) were at war with some other "them."
    Anyways, we captured one of them. It was some dark-skinned girl. We tortured her and questioned her, but she was resilient. Eventually, we left her in my room (it was my room from, like, high school.)
    Word came down the wire for me to kill her.
    At first, I was extremely disturbed. But then, I had a knife in my hand, and she was tied up and crying. Soon, I was crying. I cut through her throat, kosher-style, and she bled all over the place and gurgled. I held her close to me like I loved her, and cried my eyes out, screaming with the pain of feeling a part of your soul die. Someone like my father was standing over me, watching with grim satisfaction. The camera zoomed out, and this bloody guy was holding a dead naked girl, screaming and crying, with some sort of family elder watching him, in my room from high school, and I woke up.

I was like, "oh god, oh god, I killed someone, oh god, oh my god" and my girlfriend hazily woke up and started her half-asleep 'it was only a dream' talk that I always give to her. And I refused to believe it, because it was so real. Eventually I was crying really bad again.

I still feel like that girl was real. Maybe someone else who was asleep, and was dreaming of being tied up, naked, with a man weilding a knife over her throat. Maybe she woke up from it, maybe she didn't. I snap every time I think about it, and get really bitchy. It was far too real, it makes me feel like a murderer.
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

22. - Top - End - #22

The last one I can remenber was years ago. Like when I was around 6. I had it after watching an espiode of Puff the magic Dragon. It had to do with an evil Skeleton in an yellow mob sute that followed them everywhere and had something to do with poison. The dream was that he was in this world and he was after me, but he never did get me. Now days he isn't that scary.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

23. - Top - End - #23

I recently had one of those dreams where you 'wake up'. I was on my bed and heard a weird hissing/scratching noise, so I lifted up my pillows and looked underneath to find cockroaches.
    Lots of them, crawling into my bed.
    This was made worse by the fact that we recently had one crawl up though the drain in our bathroom sink

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

The worst dreams for me are the ones where I dream that my mom is back to life. It's not really the dreams that bother me as they tend to just be regular dreams that mimic the time before she died in a weird way. It's just that when I wake up, I have to remember what's real and what's not.
    I'd like to thank CrimsonAngel for the awesome avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I've had some nightmares that are pretty horrific, to the point I do not wish to recant them here, but they all pale before this one:

I was a pigeon. You know, the stupid grey and white birds that no one actually likes and crap all over your car right after you got it washed? Yeah, I was one of those.

In fact, the dream was so long, I lived my entire pigeon-y life out. It was the most horrifying thing I've ever experienced, mostly because I woke up in the morning with an amazingly strong urge to go eat birdseed.

I never EVER want to dream I am a pigeon again. It's just so... boring, you know? Boring to the point that I was pleased when the dream ended, since I was eaten by a hawk in midair (it snatched me out of the sky and ate me).

What does that all say about my subconscious?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    A dinosaur once tried to be my best friend. After it escaped, caused mayhem and destruction, and ate my family.

A lot of people would consider this a really good dream.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

27. - Top - End - #27

As far as I know, I only dream about 10% of every time I actually sleep (no one argue "you forgot", because no one can prove that I actually dreamt it if I forgot...)

Anyway, the two worst ones I remember.

1: I was 11. In the dream, I was standing in my kitchen, and it was a very dark night out. I took a step toward the door, and then lightning flashed for a second. During this second, a hooded figure was clearly glaring at me from it. I got affected by this... Dread. I suddenly went limp, and fell to the floor.
    Then, I got up.
    This happened at least 5 times. Every time I saw the silhouette, it frightened me more.

2: I think I was 13, but I'm not sure. In this dream, I wasn't there; just watching. Some woman was tied up (sometimes I saw through her eyes) in a chair, and there were several... Mortifying people in front of her. The one in front was taunting her. Jeering at her, but he said something about 'joining'.
    He then 'gave her a choice', one that revealed why his followers looked so disgusting; they were living hives. Each of them had some kind of insect in him (one was spiders, though, so one arachnid).
    The bugs pushed out the shapes of numbers as he counted off her 'options'. But, she didn't respond, so he picked the worms. Then, to cut it really short, a worm crawled from his mouth, into her throat, and there was a cross-section showing it.

My aunt thought that second one had to do with some movie (that I didn't see). I think that one scarred me for life...

Anywho, it's instances like this that explain why I don't dream (or just forget the dreams themselves, whichever). It's a defense mechanism.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

28. - Top - End - #28

I respect those of you who feel you can share something this personal.Suffice to say my worst actual nightmare was bad enough that I don't like to talk about it, or even think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    If your money making scheme requires the creation of the haypenny, you may need to re-think your idea.
    “What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man?”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

I participated.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Llama231 View Post
    A lot of people would consider this a really good dream.
    Well, things get scary when everyone you know died, and there's no hope for humanity.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

30. - Top - End - #30

I've actually had worse ones that I've repressed, but I only know about these from how bad they got me.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~