New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MitD - What We Know

Whats a zodar?

Anyway a Pit fiend has wish, so it could easily be that, and I don't see any real conflicts except the mental ablities, but remeber this guy? And don't forget that rich seems to have upped the powers of his outsiders. I suppose it could be a solar too, but I kind of like pit fiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    10) no tendency regarding good/evil/law/chaos. (neutral/immature?) here again it would have to be a variation to fit my pit fiend
    The thing hangs around Xykon. And does what he says. That sounds lawful or evil to me. So what if he has friends he cares about?

ability to cause an Earthquake (from 477) It could be for the STR
    Wish makes everything better. If he has it.

Also aren't in a couple source books even more powerful devils/demons? Could it be one of those?
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by DanReiv View Post
    It has the usual teleportation/summoning "Pop!" though. It's got to be it or a wished/revised reality variant ;)
    Maybe its part of the illusion?

or a mass suggestion "They have teleported away" ?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haedrian View Post
    or a mass suggestion "They have teleported away" ?
    Lich.
    <obligatory text>

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Do pit fiends eat?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    How for example would you explain that more than one person immediately recognized what it is, while the Snarl is unknown to all but a few?
    Maybe when the snarl spawns little baby bits they don't look much like the parent? Or then again if you don't know what the original snarls is, you might mistake the spawn to be some other species of creature?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

Ever since V teleported to the tower, I hold to my theory about the MitD from 2006 more than ever.

New reasons below, one of them thanks to this thread:

Spoiler
    Show
    -If the MitD really is an aspect of the snarl, he could manipulate the strings of reality to remove V and O'Chul from the tower in 661, even if he didn't know he was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Leviathan View Post
    Has been described as "Horrible, and yet so Beautiful".
    -What else was described as "so beautiful" in 659?

Face it guys, I'm right! :)
    Last edited by Darkhands; 2009-06-10 at 10:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Anyway a Pit fiend has wish, so it could easily be that, and I don't see any real conflicts except the mental ablities, ..
    * Pit fiends do not have parents.
    * Pit fiends can speak common, and a slew of other languages, as well as communicate telepathically.(SOD)
    * Pit fiends would not be recognized by mid-level adventurers, unless they had travelled in the nine hells, at which point they would either be dead, or really,really high level. (SOD).
    * Pit fiends are not renowned for abnormally strong appetites.

Im sure there are more, but really that outta suffice..

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Every. Single. Mitd. Strip. Ever. (Took a long time.)

I'm going to list every comic that shows or even mentions MITD, and link to them accordingly. Feel free to do with this what you will.

95(mentioned by Redcloak, panel 3)
    113(Thanks to David Argall.)
    120(Thanks to David Argall.)
    376 (mentioned by Redcloak in panel 3)(Thanks to Dziadek )
    663 (Mentioned Pannel 7 by Haley and O-Chul.)

(If I missed any, please let me know. I will edit the list accordingly.)
    (This compilation has been brought to you by Belkar=awsome. Belkar=awsome: misspelling the awesome-ness of Belkar since 2008.)
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-06-29 at 05:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Do pit fiends eat?
    Of course they do.
    And I'll forgo the usual devil's food cake joke.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupaqueso View Post
    Something I noticed is that, if the MitD does have the ability to teleport V and O-Chul somehow, be it through Wish or some other means, Xykon apparently doesn't know it. Because if he did, he would have been glaring at the MitD just like the demon roaches. Instead he shouts, "Who stole my kills?" Since Xykon knows what the MitD is, it seems to me like the apparent teleportation either really wasn't him, or is an ability that is not typical of his species.
    Or Xykon had his attention (and gaze) focused entirely elsewhere, and as well is renowned for his pathetic attention span..
    Last edited by daggaz; 2009-06-10 at 10:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Lich.
    <obligatory text>
    Oh right, immunity to mind effects.

However "Hide from Undead" (1st level cleric spell) would make them invisable, and totally undetectable. Unless O-chul has cleric spells in his repetoire (paladins don't get the spell), maybe MiTD has cleric levels? Or the ability to cast cleric spells?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Yes, another MITD thread. Sue me.

did you go through the entire archive looking vor some yellow dots on black ground?

edith: well you already got the numbers, all you need to do to get the links working is putting an "http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0 before every number and .html after it
    Last edited by Moriarty; 2009-06-10 at 10:18 AM.
    You want some advice? No matter where you go in life, always keep an eye out for Johnny the Tackling Alzheimer’s Patient.

thanks to XenoTherapy for my avatar!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhands View Post
    Ever since V teleported to the tower, I hold to my theory about the MitD from 2006 more than ever.

New reasons below, one of them thanks to this thread:

Spoiler
    Show
    -If the MitD really is an aspect of the snarl, he could manipulate the strings of reality to remove V and O'Chul from the tower in 661, even if he didn't know he was doing it.

-What else was described as "so beautiful" in 659?

Face it guys, I'm right! :)
    While you're making very very valid points - and it all works out well, there's no reason for a creature which kills gods and is bent on utter destruction to befriend and save a paladin's life - a person who's PURPOSE was to keep snarl inside the prison.

Of course it could be snarl, but then why is he taking orders from X ? And what was he doing in a forest ? I don't think there were any other gates opened at the time...

Wait, there's a forest mentioned as a gate location - was that breached anywhere?

Another problem with your theory is that we actually SAW Soon (or rather his aspect as a sacred watcher) - so they can't be the exact same person
    Last edited by Haedrian; 2009-06-10 at 10:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Haedrian View Post
    Oh right, immunity to mind effects.

However "Hide from Undead" (1st level cleric spell) would make them invisable, and totally undetectable. Unless O-chul has cleric spells in his repetoire (paladins don't get the spell), maybe MiTD has cleric levels? Or the ability to cast cleric spells?
    Hide From Undead is a really low level spell, though... so unless the MiTD's Charisma is through the freaking roof, odds are an epic caster like Xykon is going to save against it. No, I think they actually teleported somehow.

15. - Top - End - #75

Default Re: Yes, another MITD thread. Sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    did you go through the entire archive looking vor some yellow dots on black ground?

edith: well you already got the numbers, all you need to do to get the links working is putting an "http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0 before every number and .html after it
    thanks.

...done!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

I pose to the boards this question: could this ability be a Sorcerer spell? If yes, then a dragon could easily be the MitD. The only problem I see is that, as a child, it surely couldn't get spells of high enough level for this. Any thoughts?
    Seth's Signature v2.2 Now with 33% less fat!
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
    Why do people read these things anyway?
    Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to throw in your two cents? Somebody's making a penny here...
    AAA (Amazingly Awesome Avatar) by Bloddyredcommie

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

@Darkhands:

The gate which was in the forest was "Destroyed by a forest fire" caused by redcloak.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html

So its safe to say that if it is Snarl, he didn't come out of the gate which lead to the forest.

Also X and R were looking for the gates for ages, so if they breached one, they'd have noticed something come out, and MiTD wouldn't have gone off to wander on its own.
    --

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Even the earthquake ability was fulfilling another's wish (demon roach), though it appears he has done this in the past as well, otherwise the demon roach would not have known he could do it.

My thought would be to have something powerful (genie, like an efreeti) but they shouldn't be able to speak. What if it were polymorphed into something else? This is overkill.

I tried to think of something iconic D&D that would be immediately recognizable. How about a Marut? Can't figure the teleport into that though.

Finally found a possible creature. I had to go old school and whip out my 2nd Edition stuff. There is only one way to get an iconic D&D creature that would not be easily recognized by a majority of D&D fanboyz... and that's going old school.

What is the creature you ask?
    A Ki-rin

Kudos to the Giant if he indeed went old school to keep us on our toes.

-Jason

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by RPGAgmJAY View Post
    What is the creature you ask?
    A Ki-rin
    *looks up on wiki*

Ki-rin are always lawful good.

Ki-rin worship Koriel.

Ki-rin resemble unicorns somewhat. They are powerful spellcasters, and roam the skies looking for good deeds to reward, and malefactors to punish.
    This doesn't sound a thing like our MiTD
    Last edited by Haedrian; 2009-06-10 at 10:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Every. Single. Mitd. Strip. Ever. (Took a long time.)

be patient young padawan!

well i don't doubt it was a lot of work seeking these out.

it might be kinda neat to back up the stats in the "Mitd - what we know" threads with these, but why did you decided to search them out in the first place?
    Last edited by Moriarty; 2009-06-10 at 10:41 AM.
    You want some advice? No matter where you go in life, always keep an eye out for Johnny the Tackling Alzheimer’s Patient.

thanks to XenoTherapy for my avatar!

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    be patient young padawan!

well i don't doubt it was a lot of work seeking these out. but why?

altough it might be kinda neat to back up the stats in the "Mitd - what we know" threads with these
    Well, if we're trying to figure out what exactly the monster in the dark is, it would be helpful to know exactly when he did/said/was mentioned in the strip. Even the most seemingly-unimportant details could mean something later in the strip. AND, if someone wants to find evidence for a Mitd theory, all they have to do is look through these comics. AND, if someone forgot which comic had Mitd saying/doing something, they can pinpoint it with this.

...I thought it was helpful. Maybe not, I guess...

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar=awsome View Post
    ...okay, if nobody even looks at this thread I'm going to get kinda p-ed off.
    You posted this, like, half an hour ago. You've already replied to it twice, and changed the title twice. You may want to take a deep breath and relax.

There's nothing entertaining in this thread, it's good for research - which is awesome, and I'm sure quite a few people will be very happy that you did all that legwork for them, but it means there's nothing to actually discuss. Any discussion raised by the things in those comics will most likely end up in a different thread, in fact.

I'd suggest changing the title back to "Every. Single. Mitd. Strip. Ever." and then sit back and enjoy knowing that you've done something potentially useful, rather than worrying that not enough people are looking at what you typed.

EDIT: and in the time it took me to type that, you replied AGAIN. Wow.
    Last edited by SOdhner; 2009-06-10 at 10:48 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
    You posted this, like, half an hour ago. You've already replied to it twice, and changed the title twice. You may want to take a deep breath and relax.

There's nothing entertaining in this thread, it's good for research - which is awesome, and I'm sure quite a few people will be very happy that you did all that legwork for them, but it means there's nothing to actually discuss. Any discussion raised by the things in those comics will most likely end up in a different thread, in fact.

I'd suggest changing the title back to "Every. Single. Mitd. Strip. Ever." and then sit back and enjoy knowing that you've done something potentially useful, rather than worrying that not enough people are looking at what you typed.

EDIT: and in the time it took me to type that, you replied AGAIN. Wow.
    sorry

I'm on a sugar buzz and I just tried to read the "OOTS #661 - The Discussion Thread". Every time I read a page three more have been written. . It kinda highlights the difference.

I'll back off now.
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-06-10 at 10:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Yeah, its better with the name change, cause as helpfull a thread this is, it is just another MitD thread :P

25. - Top - End - #85
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

My first thought was that it has some template that grants something Wish-like as an SLA. Sadly I couldn't find such a template yet.

I've always been an advocate of the "regular monster with a ton of templates" theory. Because you know you want to see a Half-Dragon Fiendish Awakened Pseudonatural Paragon Dire Tarrasque.

Seriously though, templates would explain it's unusual abilities (like being able to talk, and this whole Wish thing as well) while still maintaining that it can be easily recognised.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not sure that the "one of these" comment necessarily means that the MitD is not a unique creature. For instance, if he were a god, the hunters might be surprised to find a god in the rainforest, but he would still likely be unique. Not that I'm saying he is a god, you understand.

A thought: he clearly doesn't have darkvision, but he can function somewhat, so he most likely has low-light vision or extremely keen hearing or something.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowjo View Post
    Yeah, its better with the name change, cause as helpfull a thread this is, it is just another MitD thread :P
    Well now you need to read all the threads on the forum and create the index of every single MitD thread ever.
    Last edited by Gez; 2009-06-10 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I'm so sorry for you.

You must be really bored.

Heh, I clicked the first strip, amazing how different the artwork is now.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zzedar View Post
    *snip*A thought: he clearly doesn't have darkvision, but he can function somewhat, so he most likely has low-light vision or extremely keen hearing or something.
    Good catch. I had been running under the assumption that he did have darkvision.
    Seth's Signature v2.2 Now with 33% less fat!
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
    Why do people read these things anyway?
    Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you have to throw in your two cents? Somebody's making a penny here...
    AAA (Amazingly Awesome Avatar) by Bloddyredcommie

30. - Top - End - #90

GreataxeFighterGirl

A Greek God in a Animal Avatar form can fit all of those criteria, incidentally.
    Last edited by Ellye; 2009-06-10 at 11:10 AM.