New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: MitD - What We Know

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    The least contradictory in my opinion: Snarl offspring (so rooting for!!) and Tarrasque.

Dragon, Goo, Pit Fiend, Earth Elemental, ... they all oppose too many of the above points.
    It cant be a Tarrasque.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm

The tarrasque cannot speak.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm leaning more toward Snarl, or Snarl offspring myself.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I know what the MiTD is....

The MiTD is a Lolcat! It all makes sense!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Every. Single. Mitd. Strip. Ever. (Took a long time.)

I was just thinking about doing something like this!

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taraxia View Post
    Does this mean we've all abandoned the -- IMO -- extremely plausible and compelling theory that the MitD is a Snarlspawn?
    I may have missed it, but where is it ever suggested that such a thing is even possible?
    I myself strongly believe that the MitD is a snarl offspring of some sort, so you are not alone.

There is a heap of hints that MitD is somehow related to the Snarl:
    It matches most of the points in the summary here (except Nr.1 and perhaps Nr. 10):
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to re-arrange all those facts that we know about the MitD thematically.

Facts about the origins:
    1) belongs to a whole species (from sod)
    2) not normally found in a Rain forest (from sod)
    3) the parent/father is bigger than the MitD (from 651)
    4) the parent/father eats even more (from 651)
    5) unknown homeland (from 651)

Mindset/Psychical traits
    6) cannot normally talk *or* cannot normally speak Common (from sod)
    7) Not very savvy (either wisdom- or intelligence-based): cannot understand the gates or the "Xykon clones"
    8) Has a weird reality perception: cannot see the gates(?), believes in the power of achieving something by wanting it really hard
    9) not immune to Mind Affecting spells (from sod)
    10) no tendency regarding good/evil/law/chaos. (neutral/immature?)
    11) its thoughts most times revolve either food or games
    12) (yet undefined) ability to make others disappear (from 661).

Physical traits
    12) its DR is not overcome by Slashing damage (from 374)
    13) incredibly high strength (from 374)
    14) ability to cause an Earthquake (from 477)
    15) Likely has a quite high CR. (given considering what else it can do)
    16) two oval eyes in the usual one-beside-the-other configuration. + When it looks angry, it has monstrous, pointy eyes! (475)
    17) medium or large size (or: runt/child?)
    18) Shocking/unusual (horrible/beautiful) appearance (from sod)

Meta-Information
    19) Rich told us: the monster isn't a made-up one and he always knew which one (though there are different opinions if "non-made-up" means "core D&D", "existing fictional monsters", "monsters already mentioned in OotS")
    You also should consider the following:
    - The snarl has already escaped once (see 275)
    - The MitD is somehow connected to the gates (the MitD can't see these gates or perceives them in another way)
    - the snarl being only mentioned in a legend, which could be exaggerated or distorted
    - the snarl was trapped for thousands of years, what could have had impact on his sanity/power/form. The snarl fed on the Gods hate, so its possible that it became more and more powerless, since the pantheons work together now.
    - the snarl is inactive since MitD is on the stage

The most important argument, that MitD is _not_ the Snarl, was already pointed out by Morquard:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I don't think its extremly plausible and compelling at all.
    How for example would you explain that more than one person immediately recognized what it is, while the Snarl is unknown to all but a few?
    And while Redcloak knows about the Snarl and might actually recognize it... don't you think he'd react a tiny bit more paniced when he'd realise the snarl is free and on the mortal plane?
    Yes, those people who found the MitD seemed to recognize it as a common yet anomalous monster, and the snarl doesn't seem to have changed its shape in 275.

But maybe the snarl is not the big bad as the crayon comics report it to be. It could even have the form from a commonly known creature!
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2009-06-10 at 11:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrichomega View Post
    I was just thinking about doing something like this!
    Quick! Roll a will save against insanity!

:)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Leviathan View Post
    7) Has some kind of undefined ability to make others disappear (Comic 661). Possible Effects are:
    - Teleport Other
    - Time-Hop (Psionic ability)
    - Plane-shift others
    - Ability to make others Ethereal
    - Wish, Limited Wish or Miracle (duplicate any of the above abilities)
    - Salient Divine Ability capable of duplicating the above
    One more possibility there. In a 3.5e supplement (I think it was Complete Arcane), there's a spell called Imperceptibility (or something like that) that makes the target unable to be detected by any of the five senses. Then again, I think it has a range of touch, and only affects one target, so...

Epic magic/psionics is also a possibility.
    Last edited by UltimatheChosen; 2009-06-10 at 11:49 AM.
    He that knows little repeats it often.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Actually, my understanding is that the Snarl is the embodiment of chaos, and is unlikely to take on any kind of corporeal form or any semblance of structure, even. I mean, the eyes were there just for show.
    Quote Originally Posted by i6uuaq View Post
    My bid to win an internet.

Spoiler
    Show

To those who say that the timing is wrong for familicide, besides the fact that dry air can mummify bodies effectively, and this has been observed in real life, I offer this second thought:

Do I win?

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Do pit fiends eat?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Of course they do.
    No, they do not. Although they can certainly chew on adventurers with their toothy maws.

Unless a particular Pit Fiend managed to get spawned on the Prime Material or otherwise get the Native subtype. Which is uncommon, to say the least, but cannot be completely dismissed. Anyway, there are other counters to the Pit Fiend theory, such as having a parent, huge mental stats, or the reason why exactly Xykon didn't already milk the MiTD's wish. Hmm, that's quite an apt metaphore for handling critters endowed with wish SLAs.

"And I'll forgo the usual devil's food cake joke."

Was that sarcasm? Or an honest attempt to avoid a bad pun? Either way, this rule lawyer does not care.
    Last edited by Undead Prince; 2009-06-10 at 11:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

my speculations are that he is THE DEMON COCKROACH GOD!!!! (DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Haedrian View Post
    Quick! Roll a will save against insanity!

:)
    People try and AVOID that? :P

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

yuk Miko's class feature

There is a heap of hints that MitD is somehow related to the Snarl:
    And two great, huge reasons it can't be. 1) it's not unique at all, 2) we're supposed to be able to recognize it. How many other "spawn of snarl" have you seen, in this comic or anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by doodthedud View Post
    I would like to say that it is not True Neutral. It seems to have a moral compass.
    That's not how True Neutral works. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    So not only does the MitD have the ability to have others teleported, but he knows he has the ability, doesn't see it as unusual, and expects it to work.
    Or, alternitavely, he could have been saying it as "why are you looking at me? I didn't do anything!"

Oh, and it's not a Tarrasque or Tarrasque offspring, because it's not unique. It is not a demon or devil (or angel) because it has parents. It is from the material plane because the hunters have seen members of his species before. It has a moderate to high int based on what O'Chul said, thus ruling out animal. It is not undead because it is not evil.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by rty275@comcast. View Post
    my speculations are that he is THE DEMON COCKROACH GOD!!!! (DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN)
    Then why aren't the cockroaches worshipping? And if they be stinking heathens, vile heretics, or despicable atheists, why aren't they Smitten with His Vengeance? And where are His loyal clerics??

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Probably not the most read thread, definitely not the most replied to thread, but I'm sure this will be one of the most linked to threads in the boards history.

Yay for the MiTD.

(ESCAPES)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Awwww.

Well, *I* think it's interesting, Belkar=awsome. *pats you on the head on a comforting manner*

Seriously, you ****ers will make a millions threads speculating on V's gender or statting out the Order of the Stick, yet you whine when someone compiles some random information for you?

15. - Top - End - #105

Default Re: Miko's class feature

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    Or, alternitavely, he could have been saying it as "why are you looking at me? I didn't do anything!"
    MiTD obviously had no idea it possessed a wish SLA. Otherwise, it would long ago have wished to be lighted. Or for cookies.

It is not a demon or devil (or angel) because it has parents.
    Asmodeus could be considered the Pit Fiends' parent, since they're spawned by devil magic, and all devil magic flows through him. And he certainly is not beyond eating babies.

It is from the material plane because the hunters have seen members of his species before.
    They could be well-traveled hunters versed in planar game.

Ahem... "It's coming right for us!!"

It is not undead because it is not evil.
    Not all undead are evil.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, what we need is to write down everything that we potentially have been told about MitD. So stuff like in 543 where he says O-Chul should have escaped should be taken more seriously
    Spoiler
    Show

23 - Hates OOTS. Is afraid of the dark. Can manipulate a flashlight
    37 - Finds Roy being hurt funny. Is capable of snorting
    47 - Is familiar with crystal ball scrying options
    82 - Finds dwarves going at it hot (similar to Redcloak). Is capable of manipulating kitchen tools in order to make popcorn
    95 - No new information I can discern
    96 - My bias from future comics is hitting me here. He's capable of seeing the gates, is incapable of interpreting them as gates. He might not actually see what Xykon is pointing to and instead think Xykon is pointing to something else, but that's unlikely. We see his magical darkness is only about 10 feet tall here
    97 - Claims to have trouble seeing through magical darkness. Given future visual acuity, I find this unlikely. It could be he has some other means of detecting things that has trouble picking up the gate. Is capable of a hearty evil villain laugh (and intrinsically understands when they are called for)
    103 - Is incapable of making a phrase that is terrifying to humans. These things may be frightening to him
    105 - He appears to be standing behind the stage that Xykon is on. I don't think there's anything significant here, but it could be evidence he can turn incorporeal
    106 - Here is where we see him actually forget about the gate that has been explained explicitly to him... from 97 we know he understood what the gate was, or they just gave up on trying to tell him
    109 - Understands the concept of peer pressure
    110 - is surprised that Xykon has killed more than one Fyron in Cliffport
    114 - Is excited and nervous to come out of the darkness. Capable of being confused
    117 - Capable of ignoring Xykon's direct order (not to come out until he finishes his speech). Either has trouble with big words, or has trouble understanding things involving magic (first the gate, then the phylactery)
    147 - Remembers the phylactery, so 117 is just about the word being big. Has difficulty controlling his own strength. Enjoys power rangers/action figures. Wants to get out of the shadows. Doesn't seem inherently embarrassed by the umbrella's style. Is capable of holding an umbrella (and Redcloak and Xykon knew this already)
    148 - Is capable of grumbling and mumbling. Can find loopholes in orders.
    149 - Is surprisingly up-to-date on the current going ons given his previous actions
    190 - We see that despite the previous evil-style stuff he's had going for him (the laughter, the hating of OOTS) we see that he's not been taught to be evil to some extent and supports RC taking the risk on himself. At the same time he's smart enough to figure out a plan that RC didn't which. He actually seems to be far smarter once he's left the dungeon.
    191 - We learn that MitD has some knowledge of how powerful he is, but that he's still naive about what he can do. Also the first time he truly seems to be afraid
    192 - I'm assuming the rock is blocking his view here and it's not a mystical vision blocking thing. Also, capable of recognizing odd coincidences
    194 - Is willing to be hurt in order to be lit up. Based on his previous fear of going in, I think we see here that he realizes lantern archons can't actually hurt him. He says he has a face
    195 - Demonstrates knowledge of magic items. This leads us to conclude the gate deal is just gates, and not magic items in general.
    196 - Is capable of reading. Is capable of recognizing people at different ages (given that he's been living with immortals this is actually a little surprising maybe). We see here he's well and truly ignorant of the gates again. Also capable of recognizing gender
    299 - Can't naturally raise undead. Chews his mallomars (and presumably other food) as opposed to swallowing them whole. Capable of extreme ignorance
    331 - Still doesn't know about gates
    368 - Enjoys eating. Has some emotional trouble involving being alone; on some level he recognizes that they're not his friends?
    369 - Capable of holding both a big foam hand and popcorn. POSSIBILITY: he can eat the popcorn at the same time presumably... either he takes off the foam hand, or he has a third arm or psychic powers holding up one or more objects. Aside: The shadow gradient is so much smoother than it was in the original comics...
    oh wait. NO! He has to be holding up the umbrella too. This makes THREE objects he's propping up, and they're in three different hands.
    371 - Capable of recognizing social dynamics
    373 - Capable of being polite
    374 - Doesn't recognize that being slashed with a sword is an attack. Enjoys playing games involving who can hit for less. Capable of being tickled. We see again he can't control his own strength. Why he hits the horse is unclear besides comedic effect
    375 - Has an incredible sense of smell to detect the beer on the dwarven letter. We see he drops the purse when he opens the letter here, but that could just be because he's not interested in it anymore. Capable of getting a paper cut.
    414 - Nothing to see here. I notice there's no gradient for the shadowing anymore
    415 - Capable of petting things. This indicates some sort of hand. Also wants to pet it, which probably doesn't say much. Thinks TV characters are real to an extent
    422 - Again capable of discerning social rank, and when it gets broken.
    428 - Just standing there again
    431 - He's pretty confused here.
    447 - here too
    451 - Enjoys devouring things. Capable of recognizing specism
    463 - Capable of anthropomorphizing dolls
    474 - Eats scones. Either doesn't realize or doesn't care that Roy is dead (and doesn't seem up to devouring them at this point for some reason). What's holding up O-Chul?
    475 - Capable of shouting really loud. I notice O-Chul falls down here; I wonder if MitD was holding him up with some sort of magic/psionics that broke when he stopped concentrating. The more plausible explanation is the rock he was leaning on (that we can't see) got knocked out of position, or that he was just propped up in a manner that kept him balanced on his own. We see the gradient reappear when he's indoors in the flashback, but not when he's outdoors. I assume that's just a stylistic choice, but I can't help but wonder if it's significant. Willing to eat some scary stuff. Capable of manipulating monopoly pieces
    476 - Has no sense of taste. Capable of eating/drinking really fast. Remembers OOTS so his sense of memory isn't completely trash
    477 - Capable of ignoring piercing damage. Capable of a crazy cool earthquake attack when he stomps the ground. Gets fatigued by this. He doesn't seem to think devouring Haley and Belkar will fulfill his hunger. Whistles in... whistles in purple! Roy whistles in gold, Sabine whistles in red... out of the three fiends, the neutral one was purple, with lawful being yellow(goldish) and chaos orange (reddish) IIRC. Could this be an alignment indicator?
    541 - Has unbridled optimism in Mr. Stiffly. Enjoys betting/playing
    543 - Thinks willing people to escape will let them do it. Knows he's not supposed to know what the gate is (maybe he's been faking?) Again tries to find a loophole
    549 - Enjoys stew and gruel equally. Doesn't understand O-Chul's being tortured very well. Won't eat babies or kids. Doesn't let girls join clubs... indicates MitD is in fact male. Can't remember O-Chul's name
    550 - Poor understanding of friendship. Shockingly still remembers Right-Eye. I only realized now that this whole naming convention is a subtle jab at DnD players not remembering NPC's names. Enjoys playing board games. Seems willing to eat wooden plates
    651 - Was born in the rainforest/moved there at an early age. Remembers his backstory. Had a father who ate even more and was larger. Finds it hard to think. Possibly the board represents him. Capable of farting really loudly
    654 - Willing to take a sunburst to the face. Clearly has a decent amount of hp. Recognizes the conflict between O-Chul and Xykon on some level. Doesn't go to the bathroom more than once an hour. Remembers O-Chul's name when it counts. There's a typo between 'than' and 'then', but at this point I'm willing to consider some grammar trick that will end up being the turning point of the story later
    658 - Capable of popping V and O-Chul out. May not even realize he does this.

So to summarize the pertinent points:
    Spoiler
    Show

He can handle more than two objects at a time. Either more than two arms or some psychic ability. The dinner party with O-Chul may indicate psychic ability.
    May not be able to actually see out of the darkness, instead using some other sense (blind sense? Close range scrying?). Has trouble seeing the gates, which may be related.
    Seems to be able to remember things that are important to him, even retroactively. O-Chul's name, OOTS, where he came from. On the other hand he doesn't remember stuff like how many brothers X has. There's a shocking divide between these, but it may be simply for comedic effect
    He has a face. He chews (at least some of) his food
    Can't raise the undead
    Has DR against slashing (Miko calls it that so it's probably not natural AC). Probably DR against piercing too. This is a fairly high bonus.
    Unable to control his own strength/doesn't realize how strong he is
    Has a superhuman sense of smell perhaps
    Capable of petting things (indicating hands)
    Capable of a shout attack
    Has an earthquake attack that tires him. Doesn't seem to consider devouring people as a source of food (devour their souls maybe?) What other ways of devouring are there?
    Whistles in purple. I believe this to have some significance, considering other people's whistles have significant colors.
    Seems to be male
    Capable of making people escape, but doesn't seem to control the power very well (his earthquake power he didn't understand either, but in that case he didn't know about it. He used his shouting attack effectively, but possibly accidentally)
    Farts really loud. Has a larger father who eats more. Has a bathroom schedule seemingly on par with a human

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

snarl's baby makes a lot of sense actually.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zzedar View Post
    A thought: he clearly doesn't have darkvision, but he can function somewhat, so he most likely has low-light vision or extremely keen hearing or something.
    3rd-edition Darkvision doesn't help against magical darkness, which that darkness pretty much has to be. Although 3.5 "magical darkness" is technically just "shadowy illumination," which would obscure the MitD's vision without blocking it completely, which fits (though it doesn't explain why *we* can't see more of *it*, unless it has soemthing like the Shadow Blend ability.
    This *does*, however, mean that by rules-as-written, it can't be a Pit Fiend (or other baatezu), since they *can* see perfectly in magical darkness.

It cant be a Tarrasque.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm

The tarrasque cannot speak.
    That makes it *more* likely that he's a Tarrasque, since whatever he is, they aren't *supposed* to speak.

19. - Top - End - #109

Right now we don't know if MitD did teleport (or whatever) them.

We know they're gone.
    We know he wanted them gone.

But one might not have anything to do with the other. This could be V's former master doing something, or maybe V's fiends called in a favor.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe ask Wrecan to put a link to this thread on his Number of Character Appearances thread, under the MitD entry?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

21. - Top - End - #111

My vote is for the Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh.

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by DanReiv View Post
    It has the usual teleportation/summoning "Pop!" though.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0658.html
    Gah! the familiar is not summoned - it's been by V's side the entire time. S/he just forgets it exists sometimes.

Just last week I went through the archives to find conclusive evidence of this.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay. After today's comic, my brain went "Togepi" for the Metronome-like effect. And then I did some research.

Snorlax.
    He can learn Metronome with a CT.
    Under special abilities:
    When trained and exercised properly, Snorlax can gain supreme strength and ability. They can throw incredibly powerful punches and cause immense earthquakes.
    Under diet:
    Snorlax is not very picky, and will eat anything and everything that is edible. They are fond of large, thorny vines.

The only problem is that the MitD isn't sleeping most of the time.

Does The Giant play Pokemon?

24. - Top - End - #114

MindFlayer

Some of these theories are mildly crazy.

Part of the Snarl? Really just doesn't make sense, at its basest. The Snarl is a being of divine strife and pure chaos that no one has heard of save a very select few.

The Tarrasque cannot reproduce.

Pit Fiend only has 1 quality that matches, total: the Wish.

KISS, guys. Occam's Razor, too. The farther you have to reach, the less chance it has of being true.

25. - Top - End - #115

I don't know what it is, but I know what it isn't.
    • It's very unlikely that it's not a tarrasque (no Wish-fulfilling ability, but see below)
    • It's not (a part of/spawn of) the Snarl (the hunters wouldn't have recognised it)
    • It's not an outsider (would speak in a different colour, also outsiders don't eat, most wouldn't have parents)
    • It's not undead, nor an elemental or a construct (none of those eat or have parents).

What bugs me is the fact that neither Xykon nor Redcloak seem to know of it's Wish-fulfilling ability (or they'd have abused it for their own ends), and Redcloak knows what it is. Does this mean this ability is atypical for it's species?
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Lufia View Post
    Does The Giant play Pokemon?
    If he does, he treats it as a secret sin and does not inflict it upon the innocent community.

Please stop with the P-n references.

27. - Top - End - #117

It's possible that he's a young, templated tarrasque, though I'll admit I'm skeptical of this. It would explain his strength and seeming immunity to damage, though not his ability to teleport V and O-Chul.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Prince View Post
    If he does, he treats it as a secret sin and does not inflict it upon the innocent community.
    Except when he makes celestial mounts come out of Pokeballs?

Apart from the sleeping thing, Snorlax actually fits the MitD description better than what you guys have come up with, judging from the arguments going on. Made me laugh, that's all.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    What bugs me is the fact that neither Xykon nor Redcloak seem to know of it's Wish-fulfilling ability (or they'd have abused it for their own ends), and Redcloak knows what it is. Does this mean this ability is atypical for it's species?
    Monsters sometimes get more abilities with advancement in HD. For some monsters, this advancement is tied to maturing (aging). Obvious example: dragons.

Xykon and Redcloak might not have been aware that the MiTD has grown into the next age category and thus got SLAs.

This would also fit nicely with MiTD's entire recent character development, i.e. maturing.

30. - Top - End - #120

I can't believe I'm discussing this...

Quote Originally Posted by Lufia View Post
    Except when he makes celestial mounts come out of Pokeballs?
    That's a throwaway pop culture reference, not a sign that he engages in playing P-n games.