New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Jakkai [3.5 Fuzzy race! PEACH!]

Jakkai

Spoiler
    Show

Personality: Jakkai are best described as spunky. They possess a potent combination of abundant energy, stubborness, and aggressiveness. Among jakkai, affectionate play-fighting and smack-talk is common and even expected. Jakkai new to human societies sometimes find their ‘violent’ tendencies start more serious fights than they expect.
    Physical Description: Jakkai are small, usually standing between two and a half and three feet in height. They stand on double-jointed, kangaroo-like legs. They have thick, muscular, prehensile tails that are just about as long as their bodies, longer in some cases and shorter in others. The tails are actually strong enough that a jakkai can actually stand on the end of it to look medium-sized creatures in the eye. They have large, flexible ears. Jakkai have small gripping claws, not really useful for attacking, but helpful for climbing through their forested homes. Jakkai have golden-brown fur with dark patches over their hands, feet, and stripes down their back and tail. Jakkai have dark parrterns over their cheeks which are unique from jakkai to jakkai. In the winter, they shed their summer fur for a white and gray winter coat. Jakkai lay eggs, despite their mammalian appearance. An average jakkai reaches maturity at 20 years, and will live to see 100.
    Relations: Jakkai usually live in their own villages, largely separate from the rest of the world. There are a few settlements where jakkai and humans live side by side, but these are relatively rare. Jakkai settlements will sometime visit other settlements for festivals or to trade goods, but most don’t allow outsiders to enter the village proper.
    Jakkai live in a very communal setting. So much so that most Jakkai have absolutely no idea who their actual parents are. All the eggs of the entire village are placed in one large house or nursery. The eggs are put together in a large, hidden nest until they hatch in the summer. The hatchlings are nursed by the mothers of that year's children, even though the mothers do not know which child is theirs by blood relation. Then, for the next decade the Jakkai children grow up together in the same house. They are not raised solely by their biological parents; they have no idea who they are. They are raised by the community as a whole, with designated members of the village and rotating volunteers in charge of the hatchling's house.
    Alignment: Jakkai are usually neutral, but there’s a wide variance among them.
    {table=head]|L|N|C
    G|10|10|10
    N|10|20|10
    E|10|10|10[/table]
    Lands: Jakkai villages are found deep in temperate forests. Jakkai plant special trees to build their homes in. These trees have leaves that don’t fall off in winter, their color fading to pure white. The jakkai homes are built in the cradle of the branches. Jakkai children that come of age move into empty houses. Jakkai don’t often like outsiders coming into their villages.
    Religion: Jakkai worship nature spirits and guardian spirits, and only occasionally worhip ‘proper’ dieties.
    Language: Jakkai speak Common, buy many learn sylvan, elvish, or gnomish.
    Names: Jakkai are named by the elders upon their hatching with simple names that describe unique features of them. As such, a jakkai with a long tail may be called ‘snaketail’, which they are known by until they come of age. When they reach 10 years of age, they choose a new name, which becomes their first name, their birth name becoming their last name.
    Adventurers: Jakkai adventurers can be wanderers,

• +2 strength, +2 dexterity. Despite their small size, jakkai are surprisingly strong and they’re quite nimble.
    • Monstrous Humanoid: Jakkai are creatures of the monstrous humanoid type.
    • Small: As a small creature, a jakkai gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are 3/4 of those of a Medium character.
    • A jakkai’s base land speed is 20 feet. A jakkai has a climb speed of 20 feet. They gain a +8 racial bonus on climb checks, and can choose to take 10 on climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
    • Prehensile Tail: A jakkai’s tail can be used to grab and manipulate small objects. The tail cannot be used to attack or perform somatic gestures, but it can pick up objects weighing less than the jakkai’s light load, and it can manipulate objects like a hand.
    • Scent: Jakkai possess the scent ability.
    • Skills: A Jakkai gains a +4 racial bonus to balance, jump, and listen checks.
    • Winter Coat: During cold seasons, a jakkai’s coat is shed in favor of a thick, white and gray coat. If a jakkai moves into a cold area, after one month they transition to their winter coat. While they have this coat, they gain a +2 racial bonus against cold damage and cold effects, and they can exist comfortably in conditions between -20 F and 90 F without having to make fortitude saves.
    • Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Elvish, Gnomish, Goblin, Sylvan.
    • Favored Class: Ranger
    • LA +2
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Jakkai [3.5 Fuzzy race! PEACH!]

Me again, with another batch o' fuzzies. These critters are from a webcominc by the name of Slightly Damned. Good comic. I stole most of my info for the fluff directly off the race info page, but I had to rearrange it a bit. I'm sot sure how accurate some of the characterizations are because you only see a few jakkai in the story.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

2 things:
    1. Drop the size of its ears by 2/3 or give it some serious grapple & AC penalties.
    2. The tail is too large not be be functional for attacking. Also, ending with a... ponpon(?), it's hardly fitting for manipulating things.

Suggestion: Edit the pic or update appropriately.

3. (yeah, I never could count) Large ears - except in the case of elephants - mean exceptional hearing. Give it Blind Fighting. With 'Winter Coat' being impractical for immediate use and with the 20ft movement, it will still remain a LA +2 race.
    Last edited by nonsi; 2012-05-28 at 10:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    2 things:
    1. Drop the size of its ears by 2/3 or give it some serious grapple & AC penalties.
    2. The tail is too large not be be functional for attacking. Also, ending with a... ponpon(?), it's hardly fitting for manipulating things.

Suggestion: Edit the pic or update appropriately.

3. (yeah, I never could count) Large ears - except in the case of elephants - mean exceptional hearing. Give it Blind Fighting. With 'Winter Coat' being impractical for immediate use and with the 20ft movement, it will still remain a LA +2 race.
    Well, first of all, the picture's not mine to edit. The design of the critters is established, I'm just depicting them in D&D terms.

I don't think the ears would be much more of a serious grapple/AC penalty than long hair, and certainly a smaller target than wings.

Well, it's not as dextrous as a hand, so if I did include an attack option it would have to be with a sizable penalty. The pompom's really just hair, so it wouldn't really interfere with manipulation.

Blindfight? Meh, I don't think that would break it. I could see adding it in.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Love that comic. Don't forget the main one has been seen sittng on her tail and it holds her up.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Amburst View Post
    Love that comic. Don't forget the main one has been seen sittng on her tail and it holds her up.
    I actually mention that in the physical description, but I do love the image of the little guys looking a human in the eye.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show