New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default It's orange, mean, and ugly! (PEACH)

Back again with another race! Like I said last time, I'm not very good with crunch, so I'd like it if the crunch-oriented would take a look at this. I give a preemptive Thank You, and will give a cookie for useful information making this race balanced.

Half Hobgoblin: The product of a relationship between a Hobgoblin and a human, Half-Hobgoblin typically descend from Lebestrat origin. Their take on the characteristics of the Hobgoblin parent more so than the human, with their skin usually gaining a red or orange hue, and their hair being a dark brown or black color. Their body size and features are more human like, though.
    · +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. Half-Hobgoblins are hardy, but tend to be shunned due to their unappealing appearance and heritage.
    · Medium: As Medium creatures, half-Hobgoblins have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    · Half-Hobgoblin base land speed is 30 feet.
    · Darkvision: Half-Hobgoblins can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-Hobgoblins can function just fine with no light at all.
    . +2 on Move Silently checks. Hobgoblins are apt for remaining silent
    · Hobgoblin Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-Hobgoblin is considered a Hobgoblin.
    · Automatic Languages: Common and Gorin. Bonus Languages: Goblin, Infernal, and Moon Elven.
    · Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass Half-Hobgoblins fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    First off LoopyZebra, you win an Internets for:

The Most Lulz-ish Thread Title Ever Posted
    (By Someone Other than VT)
    In Soviet Russia, PS3 still sucks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: It's orange, mean, and ugly! (PEACH)

I like the idea (an undeniably LA 0 Hobgoblin) but it seems a little blah, much like other half-races. It's kinda like a Half-Orc with a Dwarf's stat adjustments, which I guess puts it in the lower half of PC races. Also, what's with the -2 Spot? I don't get the mechanical or flavor justifications for that. Since when do Hobgoblins have bad eyesight?

I'd nix that, give them a +2 racial bonus to Move Silently, and call it balanced.

Also, what's Gorin?
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Gorin's a custom language for the homebrew, spoken mainly by the nation the Half-Hobgoblin hails from.

Edit: Changed the skill.

Cookie for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...hip_cookie.jpg
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    First off LoopyZebra, you win an Internets for:

The Most Lulz-ish Thread Title Ever Posted
    (By Someone Other than VT)
    In Soviet Russia, PS3 still sucks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoopyZebra
    Gorin's a custom language for the homebrew, spoken mainly by the nation the Half-Hobgoblin hails from.

Edit: Changed the skill.

Cookie for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...hip_cookie.jpg
    Never post that again. It looks sooooooooooooo delicous! WHY MUST IT BE TRAPPED ON A PC SCREEN WHEN IT SHOULD BE TRAPPED IN MY MOUTH!!!!!
    The hideous monster I'm kinda responsible for.
    The new thing, due to something I said:Viva el presidente Hefty Brick!