New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Girls and Horses...

One of the most prevalent (and, I think) still existing stereotypes is that little girls and even a lot of older girls and women love ponies and horses.

I would like to know how true this stereotype is, if at all, and if so, why? What is it about horses that is so fascinating? And please don't tell me its Freudian...

And if its not true at all, then how did the stereotype start? Does anyone know when it first manifested itself in art or literature?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Girls and Horses...

Entirely unfounded theory, but I suspect it has something to do with the whole "knight in shining armour" / "knights ride horses" correlation.

I have nothing to back it up, though. Not a girl, and don't like horses.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I bet it's because riding lets the girls be above us males. The taller the horse, the happier the girl.
    Those ladies can be such snobs, I tell you.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

It's not Freudian; it's outright sexual. The movement of a running horse stimulates the girlybits in - what I'm told - is a very pleasant way.

The sex thing aside, there's also the aesthetics of the animal. Horses, with their big brown eyes, long hair, elegant physique, and (usually) docile temperament, are nice to look at and be around. They are far more aesthetically pleasing to look at than cows or sheep, and are generally not involved in the grimier parts of rural life (fattening and slaughtering for meat).

There are also the socio-cultural associations of equestrianism. Horses are an expensive status symbol that require endless care, expense, and fussing over, and can be used to establish pecking order and bragging rights in your own peer group (look at how insanely competitive and bitchy the world of pony club gymkhanas can be ).

Finally there's the 'power and control' element. Having half-a-ton of speeding muscle under your precise and delicate control is a massively empowering feeling. In a lot of pre-modern cultures that's the only exercise of power and dominance a young girl would have been allowed. You can see how that would be a little intoxicating...

So, yeah. Horses; the quintessential girly fantasy animal.

The origin of the horsey girl thing? That probably goes back to medieval courtly love. The ideal of female grace taming wildness mixed with the equestrianism culture of medieval Europe. Again, at base it's all about sex.

(side note: in the Classical world women were expected to travel by carriage or litter. Riding was strictly a masculine pursuit and infra dig for true ladies. Net result: no girly horsey culture)
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-06-15 at 05:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I still stand by the theory that the horse-lovers' gene is one of those most easily corrupted into a computer-lovers' gene. There was some blast of radiation, or possibly electromagnetic interference, that turned children of respectable yet horse-mad families into computer geeks. (At least, this is the best theory anyone's come up with to explain how geeks cropped up in moneyed rural families. In proper farm families it's just a transferrence of the "tinker with the doohickey until it works" inclination.)

The horse-mad female exists but not nearly to the extent that merchandising would have you believe. Marketing is straining to find interests that they can market to girls with an implicit guarantee that boys won't also be swarming into that interest and drowning out the girls--well, actually, no they're not, they're just flooding the market with the few interests which already seem to fit the bill.

My mother and my mother-in-law are both in the horse-mad demographic, although with different approaches. My mother grew up when Westerns were insanely popular movies and owned cowboy toys and miniature Western-style saddles; my mother-in-law follows sulky races and once had partial ownership in a racing horse. Both of them were at their happiest mucking out stables and bringing treats to the horses; neither of them would be interested in the 'dressage and gymkhanas' image of horse ownership which is marketed.
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2009-06-15 at 05:53 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Long ago when I was in elementary school, most of the girls were in a clique that they called "the herd". They would gallop and canter around the playground making horse noises while everyone else sorta stared at them like this:

Crazy as hell, y'all.
    Decoy Lockbox, you win the internet metal award. You are a metal god.
    My Guide to Metal

7. - Top - End - #7

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy Lockbox View Post
    Long ago when I was in elementary school, most of the girls were in a clique that they called "the herd". They would gallop and canter around the playground making horse noises while everyone else sorta stared at them like this:

Crazy as hell, y'all.
    Did you live near some kind of nuclear power plant?
    Last edited by H. Zee; 2009-06-15 at 06:39 AM.
    Thanks for the avatar, Jair Barik!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    ....you are an evil, brilliant man.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I avoided clicking on this thread because I got entirely the wrong idea when I saw the title.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

9. - Top - End - #9

Oh, great. I'm not the only one then.

Incidentally I was thinking of Bad Horse when I clicked the thread.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

10. - Top - End - #10

RangerGuy

While girls might love ponies more, I thought the love of horses was common among both sexes in America.

Historically Americans have loved horses for the same reason we love care, because they symbolize freedom.

Maybe that's why they continue to appeal to females, as the oppressed sex.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

My sister was (is) a horse-girl.

What I find the oddest (and saddest) is that just like with "professional" cooking, a majority of the "hobby" is women, but the vast majority of the "elite" are men (look at the international show-jumping circuit. However it's far more women there now than when I was forced to follow the competitions as a kid (prot-horse-girl mom, horse-girl sister, only two channels on TV).

Anyway, I think it has to do with a lot of factors combined, such as:

Interest in animals

Already existing outlets (riding academies, etc)

Friends with the same interest

Lack of interests that compete (pre-boys) (a boy loving animals might get a dog, and still work on his motorcycle / moped. Or computer, these days)

Personally I think it is a brilliant hobby, it teaches responsibility, promotes health (anyone trying to ride for more than a few minutes will notice that both your legs and your back contains muscles you never knew existed), although I never got into it (being the boy, I combined my love of animals with a computer, and got Sims ; Seriously I combined it with gerbils and aquariums, but anyway).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

My mother is a crazy horse lady. I think she likes them because they are big and cute, with weird eyeballs and rocks on their feet. Ok, that's not true, she really enjoys riding and is really good at it. Got second place in a show on Saturday, actually. Second because she was riding a horse that is really good at jumping but not very fast.
    I am not a horse person, I think they are really too big, and they have weird eyeballs and rocks on their feet.
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2009-06-15 at 08:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Riding horses is fun.

People like to do fun things.

Therefore, people (such as girl) like to ride horses.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Riding horses is fun.

People like to do fun things.

Therefore, people (such as girl) like to ride horses.
    The OP's question was clearly about a) why girls are supposed to like horses more than boys do, and b) why they are supposed to like horses more than other "fun things".

It's a rather strained reading to think he was asking, "why do any girls anywhere like to ride horses?".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sexual symbolism of some sort? (Personally, I'm of the opinion it has something to do with an idealized male figure...)

I'm not sure why you're so keen reject that out of hand. ...Especially since you're asking about it in light of a difference between the sexes.

And I'm not quite sure how much of it seems to be that people think they're supposed to like 'em more than they actually like 'em.

Though since we're looking at things that winnow out the male sex... There's the fact that it's built up as a "girly" thing to be concerned with the horse itself and to "like horses" rather than viewing the horse as a means to an end (say, for riding to chase down injuns to fight). It's also like one of those things where it's ok for a boy to like dogs but weird for him to say he likes dogs, whereas it's not weird for a girl to say she likes horses... and ok for boy to say he likes activities but to a lesser extent for girls (this has changed and is changing still due to various influences) So activity versus objects/animals...

It's considered feminine to have compassion for animals...

It's the least stressful of the acceptable ways to lose one's virginity.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    I still stand by the theory that the horse-lovers' gene is one of those most easily corrupted into a computer-lovers' gene. There was some blast of radiation, or possibly electromagnetic interference, that turned children of respectable yet horse-mad families into computer geeks. (At least, this is the best theory anyone's come up with to explain how geeks cropped up in moneyed rural families. In proper farm families it's just a transferrence of the "tinker with the doohickey until it works" inclination.)
    Easy enough to change an "easily obsessed with things, only acceptable outlet is X" to "easily obsessed with things, partially acceptable outlets are now more numerous than solely X"
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-06-15 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Well for me, i just feel closer to horses then i do people, they surely listen better then almost every person i know! I mean my own horse just knows what im wanting by me looking at him, most people will wonder why your staring at them :P but i grew up on horse stories from my mom, who told me alot of stories from when she was young so i suppose it kicked things off for me, but i started working with my horse and things went from there,

something else is, working at the barn is relaxing, time to reduce or remove stress, and while men like playing with cars or computers and so forth, women like something that we can talk to that listens, and having big brown eyes and long flowing hair :P but as to why more women then men ride, who knows, on the trail you probably see about 1/4th the riders being men, and i dont go to shows myself so i cant say there, (im writing this on almost no sleep so things may or may not make sense, just an FYI :P)
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

17. - Top - End - #17

Zombie

I noticed that girls/women who are into cats seem to care less for horses. Of course this doesn't mean that girls/women who don't like cats that much are automatically horse-fans.

Not all females (I'm sick of writing girl/women all the time) are into horses, but frankly I've never seen a guy who was as obsessed over them as some females are.

Of course this is all just personal observation.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Zaraki View Post
    Did you live near some kind of nuclear power plant?
    Huh, that would certainly explain all those weird polyps...
    Decoy Lockbox, you win the internet metal award. You are a metal god.
    My Guide to Metal

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Funny enough, every person I know that has owned horses has been seriously injured while one them.

And I have cleaned stables before, it was hard work and definitely not relaxing, in fact it was down right backbreaking and not fun at all.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Solomon View Post
    Oh, great. I'm not the only one then.

Incidentally I was thinking of Bad Horse when I clicked the thread.
    You know what they say, all girls want bad-horses :P

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    My sister was (is) a horse-girl.
    You're sisters half horse?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

As a girl...

Yeah horses are pretty nifty, but they're not the end all of animals or transportation. They also don't really stimulate the "girly bits." If you've sat in a saddle all day you're lucky if you can feel *anything* in that general area. I suppose some chicks like horses because they're a symbol of beauty and grace. *shrugs*

For my part, give me an Aston Martin any day. That's much more graceful and much sexier than any horse can be.

Although that makes me think... Perhaps horses are to females what cars are to males. Since I've never really seen a girl obsess over vehicles to the extent that a guy will.
    Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. - Joker

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raitalin View Post
    While girls might love ponies more, I thought the love of horses was common among both sexes in America.

Historically Americans have loved horses for the same reason we love care, because they symbolize freedom.

Maybe that's why they continue to appeal to females, as the oppressed sex.
    Not me. I got thrown off the first horse I was introduced to. It almost put a hoof through my head. I've never trusted, let alone LIKED horses since then (so for eighteen years).

Horses: big long faces and metal feet. 100% murderous, untrustworthy monsters.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Katrascythe View Post
    As a girl...

Yeah horses are pretty nifty, but they're not the end all of animals or transportation.
    Obviously, the answer to both of those is Velociraptors.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I avoided clicking on this thread because I got entirely the wrong idea when I saw the title.
    I got the same idea as you.. But thats why I CLICKED on this thread
    Crock by Thecrimsonmage Prock by Ink

President of the
    X
    You only need one eye to love club

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I blame My Little Pony.
    Last edited by FoE; 2009-06-15 at 12:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I think girls that like horses,especially stallions, is because they are safe masculinity. Not as threatening as a full fledged male human. After horses, they then start to go for those the next stage, boy bands, those squeaky clean man boys, where the 'bad boy' is the one with with a five o'clock shadow and/or some facial hair.
    Just a theory. Not everyone complies with it, but I have seen it repeatedly. It certainly happened to my older sister.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Obviously, the answer to both of those is Velociraptors.
    I'd probably take one of those as a mount. Ok, a larger one since V-raptors are actually tiny... Although I took a class on dinosaurs and I do have some serious reservations. They were smart little devils and in a battle of me vs them I think it's gonna be them.

Utahraptor is hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I think girls that like horses,especially stallions, is because they are safe masculinity. Not as threatening as a full fledged male human.
    I have horrible horrible mental images now of Catherine the Great and her horses. You men aren't that scary. And I'm personally more afraid of a horse than a human. A horse can kill me more easily since with one bad fall I'm dead. One bad fall from a human and things just hurt for a few days.
    Last edited by Katrascythe; 2009-06-15 at 12:44 PM.
    Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. - Joker

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

There is also the phrase "hung like a horse"... wonder if that has to do with anything...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katrascythe View Post
    I have horrible horrible mental images now of Catherine the Great and her horses.
    Apocryphal, I feel I must note.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

I'm not sure why you're so keen reject that out of hand. ...Especially since you're asking about it in light of a difference between the sexes.
    My plaintive cry that it not be Freudian was supposed to be ironic, since I already had a very strong feeling that it would be...

... and I just realised how Freudian the term "very strong feeling" can be...

My fault, I guess, for not using some sort of smiley face to indicate this.