New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Tezlan PEACH 3.5 Monsterous Humanoid

For my campaign world I needed a nasty evil race that was pretty smart and horribly vicious, and that could be set in a rain forest environment. I felt Snakes were way to over done in other campaigns and I thought this would be pretty cool to add a cat type humanoid that wouldn't be please the anime crowd. Please comment and PEACH with grace.

Tezlan
    Large Monstrous Humanoid
    HD 8d8+8 (48)
    Speed 60ft. (12 squares); Climb 30ft.
    Init: +2
    AC 24 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +3 Masterworked Studded Leather, +7 Natural); touch 11; flat-footed 19
    BAB +8; Grp +15
    Attack Masterworked Spear +12 (2d6+4) or Claw +11 (1d4+3)
    Full-Attack Masterworked Spear +12/+7 (2d6+6) and 2 Claws +7 (1d4+2)
    Space 10ft.; Reach 5ft.
    Special Attacks Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities Darkvision 60ft., low-light vision, scent
    Saves Fort +3 Ref +11 Will +7
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 21, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 16
    Skills Balance +13, Climb +12*, Concentration +10, Hide +11*, Jump +11, Listen +7, Move Silently +11*, Spot +7, Survival +13
    Feats Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Track (b)
    Environment Tropical Rain Forest
    Organization Solitary, Pair, Gang (2-4) Hunting Party (8-20) or Tribe (50-400)
    Challenge Rating 6
    Treasure Standard plus Masterworked Studded Leather and Masterworked Spear
    Alignment Chaotic Evil
    Advancement by Character level
    Level Adjustment +

Before you stands a large and imposing creature that has the upper half of a very attractive human and a body of a sleek jet panther. On its waist it has the skulls of past hunts linked to form a belt. Its well toned body is garbed in dark leather armor with studs of turquoise and other precious stones. In its hands holds a spear topped with an obsidian head with bright feathers at the end of it.

Tezlans are the masters of the Slithering Jungle and delight in hunting and capturing other humanoids to please their god with sacrifices. Known for their wicked and evil behavior over the lands of Kailgius, they are feared and hated by all other races.
    Tezlans are mostly found outside their capital city in hunting parties of 8 to 20, bringing back tribute, slaves and sacrifices.
    A Tezlan is as big as a tiger but much taller and heavier. A Tezlan is 7 to 8 feet tall and weighs about 1,000 pounds.

Combat
    Tezlan are constantly on the prowl for more humanoid sacrifices in the wilds of their jungles. A tezlan tries to capture their opponents rather then kill them, however, they will kill if an opponent can not be subdued.
    Tezlan are surprisingly smart for such a savage society. They stalk their prey for hours and use Detect Thoughts to better surprise and counter their tactics. Most tezlan attack at night when their coat and vision are used to their fullest advantage. They usually start an encounter with confusion and entangle before jumping into melee.

Spell-like Abilities: 3/day--Alarm, Calm Animal, Detect Thoughts (DC 15), Entangle (DC 14). 1/day--Snare. Caster level is equal to an 8th level sorcerer.

Skills: Tezlans have a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks and a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. Tezlans have a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. A Tezlan can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. *In area where poorly lit, the Hide bonus improves to +8.

Tezlans Society
    Tezlans are the undisputed rulers of the slithering Jungle subjugating humans, gnomes, shadow elves, and even amazon tribes cut off from their Nephilim. The capital city of Zopico, is where their god Totec dwells feasting on the hearts of those sacrificed. Tezlans society is driven by subjugating the surrounding humanoids for tribute and taking captives to be sacrificed.
    Last edited by Lord_Zaryn; 2009-06-21 at 11:11 PM.
    "We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."
    -Tyler Durden

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
    -Samuel Johnson

"Valar Morghulis"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Tezlan PEACH 3.5 Monsterous Humanoid

Shameless Bump
    "We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."
    -Tyler Durden

-Samuel Johnson

"Valar Morghulis"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Another cat/hybrid isn't really floating my boat. It's like a wemic but with a jaguar's body instead of a lion's body. It has way too many racial hit dice without commensurate abilities to make it a worthwhile race.

It has one feat too many unless one is a bonus feat and if so, you should designate it with a (B).

Why doesn't it have a pounce ability? It should have a Rake ability too.

Normally monstrous humanoids don't have low-light vision. This would work if you gave them cat-like eyes rather than human-like eyes.

With better than average stats (even better than elite stats), spell-like abilities and low-light vision you are looking at least +1 level adjustment and maybe more.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Another cat/hybrid isn't really floating my boat. It's like a wemic but with a jaguar's body instead of a lion's body. It has way too many racial hit dice without commensurate abilities to make it a worthwhile race.
    Well I just looked up what a Wemic was on wiki. I was trying to be different with cats and it is already made which sucks. I was basing it more on the lamia but a humanoid rather then a magical beast with a society rather then a lone ranger type of monster. These guys are not really suppose to be a playable race, they are like Mindflayers/Yuan-ti/Ogre Mages.

It has one feat too many unless one is a bonus feat and if so, you should designate it with a (B).
    I forgot to put the B, thanks.

Why doesn't it have a pounce ability? It should have a Rake ability too.
    I felt it didn't flow with the Monster. All cats have a bite attack and their claws are secondary, the reason a cat rakes is because they are latching on to the victims neck with a bite and their hind legs are scraping them. Since the upper half is human, just like a centaur, they don't have the bite, and their front paws are not strong enough to hold himself to the opponent to rake. At least that is how I picture a rake happening

Normally monstrous humanoids don't have low-light vision. This would work if you gave them cat-like eyes rather than human-like eyes.

With better than average stats (even better than elite stats), spell-like abilities and low-light vision you are looking at least +1 level adjustment and maybe more.

Debby
    The eyes are the only cat likeness on their human half so I thought the low light would be good. Oh I don't doubt that they would have at least a +3 Level Adjustment.

Thank you for your comments. If anyone feels this is too corny please suggest another race I could do for a rain forest setting.
    -Tyler Durden

-Samuel Johnson

"Valar Morghulis"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

If they aren't a playable race, their level adjustment is LA: —.

I can see where you were going with losing pounce and rake. No biggie I was just curious as to why they lost those special abilities.

I think these should advance as rangers and you should pick spells available to rangers. Detect thoughts is not on the ranger list but alarm and calm animals are. Instead, give them detect snares and pits. Confusion and suggestion aren't on the Ranger list either so you should probably pick more appropriate spells. Snare is a good spell. In fact, snare should probably only be useable once per day. The other spells could be 3 times per day.

I also recommend giving them Dex 18 and Str 15 since in comparison to wemics they'd be more dexterous but not a strong. This also better reflects the base creature's stats.

Just a few more suggestions.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread